Lightning Offensive

After a massive abscense, I came back to competitive pokemon recently. As always, I'm in NU and decided to do something different: A monotype. Since Electric is by far my favourite type, I went for a Mono-Electric. I realize the disadvantages and advantages of this team and wish to improve it as much as possible. The team has already come far since it was conceived. So...let the team begin. Moves in brackets are a possible inclusion and I am curious as to what you think would be better.

Advantages:
-Resists Flying
-Electric only has one weakness and can deal with bulky types like Steel rather easily.
-Paralysis: It's a pain to deal with.
-Electrics have decent type coverage.
-Half the team is immune to ground and Raichu has an Air Baloon.
-Once all the special sweepers are gone, WALL TIME!

Disadvantages:
-Wall Breaking? Ragequit.
-One Electric on the enemy team can put an end to the entire offensive.
-Poor defenses.

Emolga (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Toxic (Taunt/Encore)
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave

I'm sorry? Were you trying to set up? Are you confused? Prehaps feeling a little shock? Puns aside, Emolga sets up Parafusion(Or Toxic if the enemy tries to send out an electric type) and then Volt Switch the hell out of there. While Emolga makes a nice startup Pokemon, it's true potential shines in mid-late game when a Volt Switch into Emolga can set up Toxic or Parafusion and switch out to avoid the next hit, crippling an already weakened team.

Ampharos (M) @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Toxic (Light Screen)
- Rest (Reflect)
- Thunderbolt (Volt Switch)
- Cotton Guard

Ampharos is a tank. With the ability to hold off any physical attack in just one turn(Even a STAB Earthquake), I find Ampharos a decent aid whenever I need to outstall somebody or to take down something like Sawk or Braviary when brute force just won't get the job done. Thunderbolt deals a surprising ammount of damage to physical sweepers and is a reliable switch in due to the Rest/Chesto Berry combination. With two cotton guards, Ampharos can take up to five STAB Earthquakes from Golurk/Golem and takes pathetic damage from any other physical attack. Once all special sweepers are eliminated, game over: Ampharos can and will toxistall you. I'm unsure whether a Dual Screen set would be better for team support though.

Raichu (M) @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Focus Blast (Grass Knot) Hidden Power Ice
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt

I'm sorry? Did you say 'Golurk Use Earthquake'? Two problems. The first is that I'm up in the air and you're down there. Second is, you're drowning. Raichu is the solution to all ground-related problems and can make a decent lead if the opponent plans on setting up SR/Spikes/Whatever. The reason being is that an x3 boosted Raichu with decent type coverage means that at least half the team is going down. Raichu can force its way through the bulkiest of Special Walls with Nasty Plot and then proceed to clean up everything with Surf, Focus Blast or Thunderbolt.

EDIT: Focus Blast was switched for HP-Ice for more coverage against threats like Exeggutor.

The reason why Rotom Frost was removed was because he had no reliable STAB(Blizzard misses 24/7) and had poor coverage. Rotom Fan is far superior.
Rotom (Rotom-Frost) @ Wise Glasses
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Dark Pulse
- Signal Beam (Something with a better type)

Usually Rotom breaks walls. With above-average coverage and high Special Attack, Rotom dishes out damage steadily and can take a decent beating. Unless it's one of Ice's four incredibly common weaknesses.

Rotom (Rotom-Fan) @ Wise Glasses
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt

Rotom Fan doubles as a sweeper and as a switch-in against special attacks. With amazing coverage, good bulk and decent power, Rotom Fan can leave a reasonable dent in almost any Pokemon and is responsible for dishing out damage if Raichu is having issues with type coverage, or simply doesn't have the time to get a Nasty Plot up. Unlike Rotom Frost, Rotom Fan isn't supposed to be a wall breaker(That's Raichu's job) but will prevent anything from setting up with powerful special attacks.

Eelektross (F) @ Muscle Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Lonely Nature
- ThunderPunch
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Fire Punch Drain Punch
- Roar

Well, about time we got a physical. Eelektross packs a punch where special sweepers like Raichu can't hit. With ThunderPunch for STAB Damage, HP Ground to deal with other electrics, Drain Punch for coverage and Roar if I need to force a switch. A Volt Switch into Eelektross allows it to hit setup Pokemon with a surprise Roar and force them to start from scratch. Also, Eelektross can force a boosted wall out, saving Raichu a bit of trouble.

Luxray (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Volt Switch
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Facade

Physical support. However, if the time is right, a short burst of Guts Facades can wreck a team without the right defenses. Crunch deals with pesky Psychics, Ice Fang is for coverage and Volt Switch lets Luxray retreat if things get a bit too hot or deal a parting shot to whatever survived Facade. Luxray also makes for an amazing Volt Switch switch-in due to the fact that it burns but it doesn't take burn damage on that turn, allowing for a quick Facade on the next.

Code:
Emolga (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave

Ampharos (M) @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Rest
- Thunderbolt
- Cotton Guard

Raichu (M) @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt

Rotom (Rotom-Fan) @ Wise Glasses
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt

Eelektross (F) @ Muscle Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Lonely Nature
- ThunderPunch
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Drain Punch
- Roar

Luxray (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Volt Switch
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Facade
So that's everything I think. I would love suggestions, as the team has already improved tonnes since the very first version and I'm actually getting used to how I'm supposed to work with such a frail setup. Thanks in advance.

-Kierany9

Your team is also weak to some common scarfers like choice scarf sawk. To fix this I reccomend changing rotom to.a choice scarf zebstrika. You outspeed every scarfer that beats you.

Zebstrika@choice scarf
Lightning rod
252 speed 252 SpA 4 def
Timid
Thunderbolt
HP grass
Overheat
volt switch

I put Hp grass instead of Hp ice so you have some form of an answer to seismitoad.

just curious but what do you do against all the rock and/or ground leads? Emolga can taunt them to prevent rocks/spikes but it probably eats a dynamic punch, rockblast, ice shard.

Also it's cool to see people trying unique teams. It's boring seeing the usual suspects in every rmt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)