Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer - Pokemon Showdown! Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Oh and (this may have already been asked; if so, I apologize) why is missingno a choosable pokemon, and why is "magikarp's revenge" a choosable move, even though neither can actually be used? Just for the hell of it I'm assuming?
They can be used in Custom Game.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Did something happen to PS!? I get this whenever I try to connect...there were no problems yesterday.

Are you guys planning on doing a mobile app for PS? I would love to play this on my phone when I'm out and about (specifically at work), so I would love it if you would. :)

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Are you guys planning on doing a mobile app for PS? I would love to play this on my phone when I'm out and about (specifically at work), so I would love it if you would. :)

A mobile app is on the cards, but right now it is an ultra low priority, because the dev team have fare more pressing concerns which need attention. But if your phone is reasonably new and has decent RAM, you can use the regular online client on your mobile phone browser without any issues. The new interface even has a nifty alternative UI for smaller screens like phones and tablets!
I'd encourage you to give it a go.

Did the PS ladder reset or something? I've been away for a while and my rating and W/L record seem to have been reset.

i can't play because it just comes up with it saying it's loading but it never loads, sometimes after a while i can reload and it works, how can i fix this?

Iminyourcloset

OBJECTION! What do you mean I have a weakness now?!
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i can't play because it just comes up with it saying it's loading but it never loads, sometimes after a while i can reload and it works, how can i fix this?
This may be because of problems with your personal internet, or possibly the server was down. (Every few days or so, PS! restarts, so it may have been that time period? I'm unsure.) But at this very moment, PS! is up, at least for me. If you aren't receiving PS! right now, it's most likely your internet.

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When is the next server reset?
There's no set date, it resets whenever an admin needs to reset it. They're somewhat frequent though, there'll almost definitely be one within the next few days.

I've been gone for a while, but previously when you were in a different tab and the notification that it was your turn popped up you were able to click the pop up and it would take you to the game. It doesn't anymore. Is that an option that I can't find or just removed completely?

Why did my alt randomly drop 40 points in between two matches that I had right after each other? (I can provide a screen shot but the second match I won and gained 11 points so it looks like I lost 30)

Is there a maximum amount of points you can lose when you lose a match?

Iminyourcloset

OBJECTION! What do you mean I have a weakness now?!
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dragonicwari said:
Why did my alt randomly drop 40 points in between two matches that I had right after each other? (I can provide a screen shot but the second match I won and gained 11 points so it looks like I lost 30)
(
Is there a maximum amount of points you can lose when you lose a match?
If only we had a whole list of Frequently Asked Questions...WAIT--

PS! FAQ said:
Q: Why did this user gain / lose so many points at once?

A: He had a high deviation. The more you play, the less deviation you have. Deviation shows how much your score is prone to change after a battle.
But anyway, from what I understand, what had happened was:
- you had high deviation, or at least noticably higher than your opponent. :/
- you lost (I assume), and due to your high deviation, you lost a lot of points :C (new accounts have an extremely high deviation; so if it was a new-made alt, that may be why it lost a bunch)
- But luckily, since you have a high deviation, it should be easy to gain back those points :D
Disclaimer: I'm not a programmer/I know nothing about computers or programs, etc. So if I'm totally off, someone smart feel free to correct me :X.

As for any maximum amount of points you could lose, I don't think there's a set limit that'll actually be used (There may be one just to avoid someone abusing a possible glitch in the system).

Redjar said:
I've been gone for a while, but previously when you were in a different tab and the notification that it was your turn popped up you were able to click the pop up and it would take you to the game. It doesn't anymore. Is that an option that I can't find or just removed completely?
Um... I don't remember that ever being a thing...If it's not an option in the PS! settings, (which it very well may be, I suggest you check to see) could it be a part of your browser's settings (something probably like "Allow pop-ups to link you to different webpage" or similar)?

If it isn't a part of your browser's settings, I would think it would've been removed (although I didn't know that happened; I'll test next time I get a chance.)

Hopefully I made sense/didn't make a fool of myself. To both you guys, I hope I helped! ~^_^~

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Um... I don't remember that ever being a thing...If it's not an option in the PS! settings, (which it very well may be, I suggest you check to see) could it be a part of your browser's settings (something probably like "Allow pop-ups to link you to different webpage" or similar)?

If it isn't a part of your browser's settings, I would think it would've been removed (although I didn't know that happened; I'll test next time I get a chance.)

Hopefully I made sense/didn't make a fool of myself. To both you guys, I hope I helped! ~^_^~
Iminyourcloset, it is DEFINITELY a thing, I use it all the time.

@Rejdar: You're right. This option was added during the new interface update, when you logged in for the first time in the New Version there would be a Browser popup of PS! asking for permission to use desktop notfications. Which means that if you're on a different tab/desktop it'll notify you. If you aren't getting this any more there are two things you can try.

a) Check the permissions page of your specific browser to see if PS! is allowed .

b) Back up your teams, Clear your browser cookies and history and then go to Pokemon Showdown Site. The Dialogue box asking for permission should appear again and you can enable it then.

If only we had a whole list of Frequently Asked Questions...WAIT--

But anyway, from what I understand, what had happened was:
- you had high deviation, or at least noticably higher than your opponent. :/
- you lost (I assume), and due to your high deviation, you lost a lot of points :C (new accounts have an extremely high deviation; so if it was a new-made alt, that may be why it lost a bunch)
- But luckily, since you have a high deviation, it should be easy to gain back those points :D
Disclaimer: I'm not a programmer/I know nothing about computers or programs, etc. So if I'm totally off, someone smart feel free to correct me :X.

As for any maximum amount of points you could lose, I don't think there's a set limit that'll actually be used (There may be one just to avoid someone abusing a possible glitch in the system).
I checked the FAQ's but didn't see anything I didn't already know

So basically what you are telling me is a lost to many points for it to say how many I lost? I was keeping attention to what I lost since I have never laddered above 2k before and was just kind of annoyed I'll have to make back those points. Anyways, thanks for the help

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so this question has probably been asked a million times elsewhere, but why did you guys implement a Stealth Rockless metagame into Showdown, then remove it immediately? I heard it was added by a communication error or something like that, but I find it odd how I heard about how Showdown was eventually going to release a Rockless metagame, and now you're not? Why did you make a rockless metagame, just to remove it several hours later? I just find it odd that it was a known fact that Showdown was eventually going to release this metagame, and now it's removed...? Seems very strange to me.... The community really seemed to enjoy it.

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
Okay, so this question has probably been asked a million times elsewhere, but why did you guys implement a Stealth Rockless metagame into Showdown, then remove it immediately? I heard it was added by a communication error or something like that, but I find it odd how I heard about how Showdown was eventually going to release a Rockless metagame, and now you're not? Why did you make a rockless metagame, just to remove it several hours later? I just find it odd that it was a known fact that Showdown was eventually going to release this metagame, and now it's removed...? Seems very strange to me.... The community really seemed to enjoy it.
I dont know where you get your info that this was "known as a fact", this is the first im hearing of this being a fact...

Anyway it was added as a mis communication/joke

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I dont know where you get your info that this was "known as a fact", this is the first im hearing of this being a fact...

Anyway it was added as a mis communication/joke
This is the fact I'm talking about. Haunter mentioned in the Stealth Rock thread that the OU council would release a Rockless metagame before X and Y came out. So this was all just a gigantic joke, even Haunter's message? Funny... No offence, but I don't really see the humor in taking away a metagame everyone was seeming to enjoy. What was the harm in keeping it?

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4725140&postcount=196

any chance for OU no sr to return? Even if it was added by mistake, people liked it and i think it didn't create any problem

can't choose username

hey I'm new here and want to start using pokemon showdown. every time i try put my username in it doesn't work. is this because my username isn't registered? if so how can i register it? i read something about winning a rated battle but how do i get there? thanks guys sorry I'm such a newbie :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)