Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are rushing to finish this game do you think they would put in a major game changer like that?
what implies they're "rushing to finish it" and also what implies that something like dual type attacks wouldn't have been added by now

the rumors are from january/february, at the very least

lol i'll just post more of these then woo

Q – Is there a possibility of the old video games being available on virtual console?
A – We believe that Pokemon is the best on the handhelds, which is why we are careful to decide if we want to put it on a home console.
virtual console is on 3ds, too, though... he might be dodging the question again idk.

the pokebeach rumors we've been discussing for pages

the ones with confirmed information that helps validate them
Found it, saying a few attacks are dual typed. Very open, could mean anything. That just seems like it would completely change the metagame overnight. I could see it next gen maybe but there already a new type that will change things plenty.

Ehh, it's still hard to believe everything from the Pokebeach source. Didn't he say that Fairy was SE against fighting? Didn't Sylveon get beat up by a fighting guy in Pokemon Smash? Kind of a contradiction right there...

No doubt there is lots of true info in his rumors, but it hasn't been 100% right, so it's hard to tell what rumors are true at this point in time.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The double type attacks are just going to make everything more complicated. I mean how much STAB would you add to flame charge if the pokemon is Fire/ Flying???
I doubt any existing attacks would be retconned to be dual typed. I think instead, new attacks would attack with two move types in the same turn.

For instance, consider a move that sprays the foe with water, and then freezes it. It's a 60 BP move, first having a 30 BP hit as a Water attack, then the next hit is like a 30 BP Ice attack. If a Water Pokémon uses this attack, it will get STAB only on the first hit, making the total damage output 30*1.5 + 30 = 75. If the user is Water/Ice or Ice/Water, it will get STAB on both hits. The Water part of the move would be boosted in Rain, the Ice part wouldn't. Effectively, it is identical to using two different moves in quick succession. I see this as the most logical way to implement dual type attacks.

Um, Scizor is already everywhere and will rise even more if fairy is actually weak to Steel. Bulky Fairy-type with Eeveelution statspread won't like taking Bullet Punch, let alone Gardevoir so it isn't gonna be that easy.

Ehh, it's still hard to believe everything from the Pokebeach source. Didn't he say that Fairy was SE against fighting? Didn't Sylveon get beat up by a fighting guy in Pokemon Smash? Kind of a contradiction right there...

No doubt there is lots of true info in his rumors, but it hasn't been 100% right, so it's hard to tell what rumors are true at this point in time.
Also, the unofficial type chart somebody posted said that Fairy is SE against Fighting so we don't really know yet. I rather not speculate and just wait to see what is actually confirmed before I get my hopes up. For the Dual-Typed Attacks, that would be a horrible idea and they better NOT implement that. I shall be quite made if it is indeed added. Only time can tell.....

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
interpreting it like that'd be cool. like, something like dual chop - one hits fire one hits ice or something? is that what you mean?

EDIT WHY DOES HE LAUGH ALL THE TIME

(laughs)

but there was an important/interesting quote:

is he just being japanese, or will we potentially not have an evil team this time around?
My wild guess for the evil team thing is that--
since they said that we can get rivals/ friends based on the real life people, I guess he means that if some of them decides to be bad, then they become like your evil team? (Like the gang of meanies in your own school...)

A really wild guess though.

After 3 hours, I'VE CAUGHT UP!

Now for my two cents.

I'm not against the idea of a new type, I'm not against the super effectiveness of this type. What I am against is that it's called fairy. Now I'm not one of those people who says it should be light and sound instead, those are ridiculous. I also don't think fairies are that feminine tinkerbell crap or that the name fairy is ''too girly''. No, what I don't like about it is that it majes no sense to me. Especially this point, how are Marill, Sylveon, Gardevoir, and Jigglypuff (Egg groups be damned) all related in someway to be in the same typing? I'm bad at explaining things, but I'll try.

Take grass types for example. Barring Arceus, most, if not all grass types share green/yellowish coloring somewhere, are based off plants, and have foliage here or there. Or steel types generally have darker grey/brown/blue/black color schemes and have at least one polished part of their body. Now take the contenders of the fairy type. Without Marill and Gardevoir, maybe you could make a case that fairy types all have lighter hues of pink and white. But with them, especially Marill, it would be very confusing to see what they all share. That's not even going into whether Azumarill is part fairy, and what other fairy types (Like the rumored Mawile) have to do with it.

I don't want to seem pessimistic, I'm going to play and enjoy the game regardless, but that part just rubs me the wrong way.

Now as for the other parts, I'm truly amazed at the sky battles. I noticed that online battles (The one with the awesome clauncher) that there were blue silhouettes of people through the window/in the stands. Excuse me if this has been brought up before, but could this mean people can real time spectate battles?

the dragon type is pretty diverse, too. you've got haxorus, a weird-but-cool axe-headed thinger, then you've got a stereotypical western dragon in the form of dragonite, and then you've got a more eastern rayquaza [and gyarados, which isn't dragon for some reason]. you've also a sea horse in kingdra, a fluffy bird in altaria, and a chicken in reshiram.

all types are diverse, but i think dragon is the best one to compare to faeries. both types aren't just something you can go "oh yeah there's a fire on it so it must be fire type" or something in the sense that they're more abstract, but can both definitely work.

that's my two cents, anyway.

Yeah fairies can be very diverse, it is not like Fire so red obviously, Fairy is more of the way they look and their pokedex entry instead of their element.

On RNG/Hackmons
What makes you think there will be no hackmons and no RNG abuse?
Why do you guys think GF Would really stop RNG And GTS'ing Pokes?

I mean more people log on there Onilne service,more money for them.
RNG 'Abuse' is just a clever exploitation of the code used to create the psuedorandom events of the game. Its not a feature but also I don't think they care about it too much.

What they are doing is utilizing the 3DS ROMs which have not been able to be cracked. Without hacking the 3DS and cracking the ROMs you wont be able to learn the very indepth inputs to the new Psuedorandom Generator and how they affect things. This effectively destroys RNGing.

Then on top of that without the 3DS being hacked no third party providers have a cheating device. This all results in a competitive landscape that is not defined by hackmons which then changes the nature of the competitive meta. (and would actually create a market for dedicated breeding)

On Metagame/Competitive Changes if RNG/Hackmons do go

Despite the fact that I've had my Swampert since day one of gen 3 (luv u bby), I personally wouldn't mind if they decided to cut off the new generation from the past ones. I started competitive Pokémon recently compared to some people (I just recently started trying to RNG), and if they did a cut off that would balance the playing field in some respects.

I know a lot of people would be pissed off, but I bet other people more inclined to in-game or people new to competitive battling might share my sentiments.
This is pretty much my opinion. There was an excellent post made by someone about the 'Mathmaticians' and the 'Engineers' in the competitive community and explains why both are perfectly viable but in the same token I think the Mathmaticians can use their sims and us Engineers (or people willing to breed) would be more inclined to use WiFi because 'perfect' mons would be balanced by their rarity.

The only thing that it would clearly and definitively change would be anticipation of Hidden Power mons.

On Transfers
maybe they could make it so you transfer your gen 5 pokemon to the cloud or to a server or some shit that you can then access on X and Y, or send copies of the pokemon to the dreamworld website for download onto the game
I think this will be the method. Done through their GTS/Pokemon.com network. There will most likely be daily caps as well though.

On Fairies being 'girly' and how can they beat dragons! Lameness.
While I don't personally mind, the fact is that a lot of shallow people are going to be going "OMG FAIRIES POKEMON IS SO BAD AND GAY NOW" just because fairies come with a feminine twist in modern western culture. There is of course, a lot more to the Fae in mythology than that but most of the people who play Pokemon aren't going to know or give a shit about that. Unfortunately.
Yeah. We've got a few misogynists here as well already posting things like such. Thankfully there are more people here that out number their lame asses. Really refreshing to see an internet community that isn't a majority of misogynists. :D

What I really dig about Fairy type is that it is going to validate more lower level dragons that aren't obviously uber/psuedolegendary! Its a win win! More diverse metagame/type dynamics. I also really like the nymph. I wonder what it could evolve into?

On Rumors
So I guess there's a strong likelihood that all of this will be true?

"Fairy will be a new type. It is weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, and Fire and Psychic-type Pokemon take half damage from it.

Sylveon is Fairy-type. Some older Pokemon will be reclassified to Fairy, such as Mawile (Steel/Fairy).

Mewtwo has two new formes, not just one. Both are activated via items.
The professor’s English name is Patrice."
While very accurate on Fairy type the Professor's name gives me all I need to say it might not all be true. Unless its spelled Patreece it breaks the long standing motif of Tree named Profs.

Dual typed moves are just... nope. I'd be shocked that such a change wouldn't be released simultaneous to the new type and new battle modes...

Ton of catching up! Dang!

Love the new mons. Like all of them. Imagine a Normal/Fire Lion with a giant flaming mane! Win!

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
It seems likely to me now that the Pokebeach source is legitimate. Of course, this doesn't mean every prediction will come true, as there's a long time for changes between when the predictions were made (may at the very latest) and october. Still, I see some cause for concern in the fairy type. I mean, they've said they intended this type to check dragons, and I'm sure it will, but just look at this:

"It is weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, and Fire and Psychic-type Pokemon take half damage from it."

If this is the full extent of the attacking type chart for Fairy, then Fairy is by far the best attacking type in the game, better than Dragon is now. Steels are really good because they resist so many types already. Defensive Fire-types are largely crap, and defensive psychic types highly vulnerable to Pursuit. Similarly, hitting Dragon and Fighting super effectively is absolutely fantastic. Really, all I can do is hope that something will change, that this isn't the whole story, or that there are no very powerful Fairy type moves.

It also looks like a very good defensive type, with one highly relevant immunity, and pretty much no relevant weaknesses. A bulky fairy attacker will be very hard to take down, as well as to wall.

Um, Scizor is already everywhere and will rise even more if fairy is actually weak to Steel. Bulky Fairy-type with Eeveelution statspread won't like taking Bullet Punch, let alone Gardevoir so it isn't gonna be that easy.
I mean, obviously it's really early, but I don't see how that would be too much of a problem considering the game is all about prediction and eliminating the counters to your team through strategy and team building.

Besides think of it this way, Choice Specs Gardevoir with Psychic, Fairy-type STAB, HP Fire, Filler move. Fairy STAB takes care of it's Dark Weakness, and HP Fire takes care of Bug and Steel (Scizor). Use the immunity or a pokemon you can force out to come in and let whatever comes in get dented by the appropriate move. With prediction you could know Scizor is coming and use HP Fire. I'm new here and don't know how to do that damage calculation stuff but with Choice Specs, a 4x weakness, and 125 base SA, I think Scizor wouldn't like it very much. Plus depending on the filler move, this set has great coverage and could blow holes in your opponents team.

Oh and I think a Steel/Fairy type with Levitate would be pretty aweseome.

Chessmaster56

Banned deucer.
On a completely unrelated note, do you guys think we'll have sky triple battles?

As of now, I completely believe in our Pokebeach insider friend. Why not? his rumors did come true. I take it there is absolutely no way to contact him/find out who he is/torture him for information/etc.?

and uh..., I have this wierd feeling Noivern is gonna be a Druddigon rather than a pseudo-legend. (which sucks because I love his design)

Is Azumarill fairy too?

Jiggly > Garchy

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Also, if dark wasn't weak to fairy, the move used by gardevoir on Hydreigon in the trailer would have around 120 bp (give or take around 10), rather than the more likely 60 (given the name fairy wind).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)