Gen V SKY BATTLES: KACAW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwilphish

when everything you touch turns to gold
Approved by Arcticblast

SKY BATTLES
Disclaimer: As this is a Nintendo idea, I obviously did not come up with it. Whenever new information is released I will gladly change the OP to match the new information.

Welcome to the newest battle format created by Nintendo: Sky Battles!

In this metagame, we take Pokemon battles to new heights, LITERALLY. As such, only Pokemon who can take to skies are allowed to be used. No more Terrakion to kill all the birds with 6 stones. No more Mamoswine to snipe the floating Pokemon out of the skies. Perhaps the most interesting aspect though, is no more permanent weather to fog up the skies. This means no 100% Accurate Hurricane/Thunder/Blizzard, three moves which would otherwise have great potential by either hitting being backed by STAB by the former or by hitting the majority of the metagame Super-Effectively with the latter two. Pokemon previously considered to be useless in upper-tiers are now usable due to the limited selection of Pokemon to choose from.

Sky Battles include all Pokemon who have the ability Levitate or who are a Flying-type that are not Uber with one exception.

Because this is a brand-new metagame, all Pokemon who match the statement above will be usable until more information is revealed. However, Ubers were banned initially to avoid the centralization that they would cause in the metagame. The one exception mentioned however is Tornadus-T who was only banned due to access to permanent Rain and since that isn't available, the big bird will be playable once again.

Along with Pokemon, some moves and items are banned due to their ability to knock the Pokemon out of the sky. The following moves and items are banned for this reason:
  • Iron Ball
  • Gravity
  • Smack Down
  • Skill Swap
  • Entrainment
  • Gastro Acid
  • Simple Beam
  • Worry Seed

So get out there, Sky Trainers!

Sky Battles can be played anywhere as long as there is a clear sky above your head. For those Sky Trainers who would rather conduct their battles over the Internet, Sky Battles can be played on the Joim's Lab server on PS! or by challenging someone to either an Ubers or Custom Game. The skies the limit so post about your experiences in Sky Battles and make suggestions/corrections on how to make this better!

With this, I leave you off with one final message:

KACAW

tehy

Banned deucer.
is there a reason we aren't waiting for gen 6 to come out for this?

We're probably missing some mechanic or another and honestly, this metagame isn't cool enough to and has to many problems to exist without the existence of an ingame mode of battle like this

How is that Bronzong's levitate is any different from Gengar? Or the Rotom Formes? They have been shown floating freely in the anime (search for Bronzor for example and see). I don't like banning pokemon this way due to it being highly subjective an not really worth it, even less so considering the limited selection of Pokemon available to the meta (really, closing even more doors is a bad idea, even more when many on that list could make wonderful counters for monsters such as Archeops and Zapdos)

Also, what's the state of SR, the move does massive damage to the majority of the tier, and the only things that can stop it are Aero (fast taunt though likely carrying it too), Xatu (who dies to aero and doesn't look to cool either way) and... Delibird (HUSTLE RAPID SPIN!!!) so I can see it become highly centralizing

Strong mons to watch out: yeah Aerodactyl and Archeops are great, but Zapdos and Articuno are also strong treaths that should be dangerous to every mon (more so if scarfed or behind a sub), Latios and Latias also look interesting alongside the Rotom Formes

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Skarmory's still there, and it has stealth rock, which is an easy way to damage all 6 pokes for 25% at once. What's more Skarmory has Sturdy and will survive, because no flyer has mold breaker and even if they do, very few of them are Special. What's worse is that there's no flying spinner at all. There is one levitating spinner, Claydol.

So idk if Stealth Rock should be banned in this meta. It might hurt a lot of the pokes, especially those with dual types weak to rock.

Edit: Just noticed Gerard posted about it before me. Also why is Gliscor banned ? I'm pretty sure I've seen a few episodes in the anime where it does fly.

SpartanMalice

Fair enough, Claydol's probably the better defensive option though since it doesn't take damage. Croygonal can go for offensive rapid spin though.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Weird, anyone that plays ubers would say that air slash is by far skymin's true signature move. Seed Flare is just icing on the cake since a -2 SpD makes even mons that resist air slash flinch at just the very thought of it.

SpartanMalice

Yeah, I love using Scarf Shaymin-S in ubers especially because of all the Darkrai users in there. A few guys rage quit because of the constant flinching killing their Dark Void abuser. I only ever use Seed Flare when it's absolutely necessary.

Tornadus-T is useful though. Regenerator, which means it can heal off that SR damage, Taunt, a great 121 base speed, plus its great attacking stats which are outclassed by Ubers standard, but is fairly high here.

Qwilphish

Thanks for the info guys! I will definitely unban Landorus-T and Bronzong. I see what you say with Skymin and I am going to re-ban it because besides the fact that it gets hit super-effectively by most moves, it is still able to flinch past most of the metagame with a Scarf set. As for Gliscor, its Pokedex entries and Anime appearances suggest that it can only glide for a finite amount of time. So, I'm going to keep it banned for now.

I knew Stealth Rock was going to be a big problem but I highly doubt that when Nintendo releases Sky Battles officially that it will be banned so that is why I hesitated banning them from the beginning. However, because this is an Other Metagame if Stealth Rock ends up centralizing the metagame (or even Aerodactyl/Arceops), I will think about banning them.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
In my opinion (and don't hate me for it), but I don't think I'll play Skymons until the official restrictions have been released, because odds are I'm going to make a great team and then It'll be all wrong.

Though I doubt it would see much real use, Mantine shouldn't be banned; it does in fact fly, not just glide. Even though the Pokedex entries indicate it's a limited distance, the anime and manga have it actually fly at decent heights. See:

Edit: Again I doubt it's practical, but Jumpluff flies as well; see Pokedex entries like: "Once it catches the wind, it deftly controls its cotton-puff spores to float, even around the world. [Gold]" and "Even in the fiercest wind, it can control its fluff to make its way to any place in the world it wants. [Crystal]" It sounds like it reaches great height and has great control, so it sounds fine to me.

*manga doesn't count as canon in this circumstance as it's not directly endorsed by nintendo, to my knowledge [the creator saying he likes it doesn't count]- as for the show, AIM FOR THE HORN, though because it is directly affiliated with nintendo, it has more brownie points... at least, that's what i've been told.

can anyone else not wait to see how the hell dodrio will do this, though? will they go the helicopter route, or just make it float, or...? they can't really dodge it anymore if they allow it, hehe.

also, i wonder if the bar will be raised to include those that can learn fly as well? [it hasn't been officially stated, just a thought]
i mean, if they learn fly, clearly they can actually fly.
[FUCK YEAH GOLURK]

*manga doesn't count as canon in this circumstance as it's not directly endorsed by nintendo, to my knowledge [the creator saying he likes it doesn't count]- as for the show, AIM FOR THE HORN, though because it is directly affiliated with nintendo, it has more brownie points... at least, that's what i've been told.

can anyone else not wait to see how the hell dodrio will do this, though? will they go the helicopter route, or just make it float, or...? they can't really dodge it anymore if they allow it, hehe.

also, i wonder if the bar will be raised to include those that can learn fly as well? [it hasn't been officially stated, just a thought]
i mean, if they learn fly, clearly they can actually fly.
[FUCK YEAH GOLURK]
Mew, Kyurem, Genesect and PIKACHU should be legal

I think ALL Flying-types and Levitators should be used (excluding Ubers), including Eelektross, Jumpluff and Gyarados. Pretty sure the games wouldn't discriminate based on the design of the pokemon or their anime physics. If they are non-Uber and can fly or levitate, they should be allowed IMO.

I think ALL Flying-types and Levitators should be used (excluding Ubers), including Eelektross, Jumpluff and Gyarados. Pretty sure the games wouldn't discriminate based on the design of the pokemon or their anime physics. If they are non-Uber and can fly or levitate, they should be allowed IMO.
yes I agree

Spork said:
Please unban all Flying/Levitate pokemon save for Ubers. If they float, they float.

I agree with Heroes and Cons and Spork. Until we know for sure whether or not some Flying types or Levitators won't be allowed in X and Y Sky Battles, then we should assume that they all are going to be allowed, (yes, even Dodrio). I find that it's often better to keep the rule set for an OM as simple as possible, rather than complicate it with extra restrictions.

Anyway, these are all the available fully evolved SR setters available atm:
  • Aerodactyal
  • Skarmory
  • Claydol
  • Lunatone
  • Solrock
  • Landorus
  • Landorus-T
  • Bronzong
  • Gliscor
Gliscor can also set up SR if it becomes unbanned.

And all the rapid spinners:
  • Delibird
  • Claydol
  • Cryogonal

Qwilphish

Because of the lack of information that has been given to us at the moment, I have decided to unban all non-Ubers besides Tornadus-T until further information about Sky Battles is released.

Happy Sky Battling, Sky Trainers!

Qwilphish

why ban lando-t?
I'm Sorry if I worded that weirdly. The only Pokemon banned Sky Battles at this point are Ubers with the exception of Tornadus-T because of the lack of permanent Rain which is the biggest contributor to its banning. So Lando-T is not banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)