CurseThorn (Curse Ferrothorn) (QC 0/3)

I'm almost impossible to OHKO in the physical side. U mad?

[SET]
name: CurseThorn
move 1: Curse
move 2: Power Whip
move 3: Gyro Ball
move 4: Leech Seed / Stealth Rock
item: Leftovers
nature: Sassy
ivs: 0 Spe
evs:252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Atk

[SET COMMENTS]

• 2 ways of play: offensively or defensively.
  • 0 IVs in Spe and Sassy nature in order to make sure Gyro Ball hits hard against almost anything.
  • Leech Seed recovers HP while Stealth Rock is good for support.
  • Good fire power after many boosts.
  • Max SpD because you're gonna boost up your Def.
  • Bulky sweeping role.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• In the last slot, a support move or Explosion can go, as after a few boosts, Ferro has some good power and is almost impossible to take down in the physical side without a SE hit or a crit.
  • Rain is so useful for it, so Politoed is a good teammate.
  • Having Fire- and Fighting-Type weakness, something that can get pass of those Pokémon is important. Jellicent is good for those purposes, as it can burn with WoW, and resists Fire-Type while is immune to Fighting-Type

There spaces between slashes.

No double EV Spreads, and the second one is infinitely better.

Ima start this that Curse Thorn isn't good currently. Special fire-type moves are soooo common and there is still the threat of Focus Blast. The set is dead weight when facing sin teams and a burn is probably making this set useless and bad coverage means its being walled by things like Skarmory. Oh, and someone can phaze you out, so it sucks v. balanced teams and heck, even stall. offensive teams crush it and semi-stall can phaze as said before. Every playable can beat it and Curse Lax was only good before due to it being really bulky specially and typing making it only weak to those pesky Close Combats. IMO, don't use CurseThorn.

There spaces between slashes.

No double EV Spreads, and the second one is infinitely better.

Ima start this that Curse Thorn isn't good currently. Special fire-type moves are soooo common and there is still the threat of Focus Blast. The set is dead weight when facing sin teams and a burn is probably making this set useless and bad coverage means its being walled by things like Skarmory. Oh, and someone can phaze you out, so it sucks v. balanced teams and heck, even stall. offensive teams crush it and semi-stall can phaze as said before. Every playable can beat it and Curse Lax was only good before due to it being really bulky specially and typing making it only weak to those pesky Close Combats. IMO, don't use CurseThorn.
OK, but just a question: What does IMO mean?

Lavos

Banned deucer.
OK, but just a question: What does IMO mean?
means 'in my opinion' but hes wrong cursethorn is surprisingly viable right now

that said you really need to go into more detail and flesh out this analysis or i cant ever qc it

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The last slot should look like this: Leech Seed / Stealth Rock. Leech Seed makes Ferrothorn really hard to take down after boosting just once (and most Pokemon that can threaten it are boned by its STABs at +1), especially under rain, and is a generally useful move for Ferrothorn, while SR works well if you can't fit it elsewhere (happens sometimes on rain teams) and also bluffs a support set and means that the opponent will not be extra careful to keep the Pokemon that threaten Ferrothorn directly alive. For example, many defensive teams may rely on SpD Celebi or SubToxic Gliscor to deal with Ferrothron if their hard hitters are not alive, and Curse Ferrothorn easily gets past those Pokemon.

Remove any mention of a Brave Nature and Rocky Helmet. Ferrothorn needs both max special bulk and Leftovers in order to work as a boosting tank.

Move Bulldoze to AC. Add to the AC that rain support is almost a must to help Ferrothorn against Pokemon such as offensive HP Fire Celebi, HP Fire Lati@s, Fire Blast Garchomp, HP Fire Alakazam, Fire Punch Dragonite, Fire Blast Salamence, HP Fire Kyurem-B, and HP Fire Substitute Magnezone, all Pokemon that can OHKO or dent Ferrothorn outside of rain and thus would limit Ferrothorn to only one kill outside of rain. Furthermore, please add teammates to Ferrothorn in the AC, such as Toxicroak (takes on most Fighting-types, including Breloom, Terrakion, and Breloom), Tentacruel (good check to Fighting-types, as well as Fire-types), Landorus-T (another good check to physical Fighting-types which also provides SR, freeing up the slot for Leech Seed on Ferro) and the aforementioned Politoed for rain support.

Finally, you seem to be a little confused as to what goes to Set Comments (SC) and what to Additional Comments (AC), so let me help you. In the SC you explain the basic functions of the set, such as what the moves do and what is the role of the set. In the AC you explain what is the meaning of the EV spread of the set, what alternative options (moves, EV spreads, items) this set has, and what are some good teammates for the set.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Just my two cents, but I always figured that Curse Ferro (or Ferro in general, tbh) needed Leech Seed to be consistently useful. What makes most other slow, bulky Curse sweepers non-viable under normal circumstances is that they can't really find time to set up because they lose out in the (passive healing - passive damage) equation. With Leech Seed, Toxic Immunity, and Sand Stream immunity, Ferrothorn comes out ahead in that department easily.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
in my experience curse / leech seed / power whip / gyro ball is best. not sure what else you would run though rocks are definitely viable. imo i'd do something like:

move 1: curse
move 2: power whip
move 3: gyro ball
move 4: leech seed / stealth rock

emphasizing why leech seed is almost always gonna be better than sr and why sr is only necessary if your team really needs somewhere to put it and cursethorn is the last option. bulldoze is ac worthy as is thunder wave

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Agreeing with Lavos and Alexwolf. In principle, I like this set, but you need to fix a couple of things.

For starters, using a Brave nature with that spread is outright wasting EVs (you would just get more stat points across the board using a Sassy nature and some Attack EVs). Regardless, you should keep the spread the same and make Sassy the only nature. Leftovers should be the only item - rocky helmet is something you use on a hazard layer to deter spinners - this set might not have any hazards at all!

I can, however, see why you might want to have bulldoze. It think it might be worth a slash behind SR, but it seems I'm outvoted on this one.

Neliel

Sacred Sword
i've used with success chesto berry ferrothorn to avoid the annoying scald burn and it worked good !

Curse is an AC move in my opinion. Its primary niche is defeating all CM Jirachi while being a support mon. Bulldoze is also an AC move since it can break 252 HP Jirachi Substitutes with 192 Atk while not being trapped by Magnezone unlike Curse. This set isn't good enough to be a stand alone. Gyro Ball and Power Whip have such little PP and it needs several boosts. If you were going to sweep endgame with this, you could sweep endgame with any other Pokemon really. You need several boosts to do work and that is just not plausible. Giving up a support option just makes Ferrothorn so much worse which is why I think Curse is AC. Sorry.

qc rejected 1/3

agreed, leave curse in AC. it definitely can work under the right circumstances but it isn't consistent enough to deserve its own set.

qc rejected 2/3

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
qc rejected 3/3

CurseThorn is a really good set, but it has its weaknesses. For instance, Scald is always going to be a frustrating factor, and its still vulnerable to the large number of fighting mons in the tier. It is best used as a Sub CM Jirachi check, and it really excels at that, however Curse is pretty situational outside of this.

I guess im just saying that Curse is a good move, its just quite situational which makes it AC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)