Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ehh Staraptor has a 475 BST and that thing is almost in OU.
Yeah, and Breloom is in the top 10 of OU, and it only has a BST of 460... not even joking. In the same vein, Kyurem-B has a BST of what, 700-something? And while it's 'OK' in OU, there are generally considered to be better dragons.

So yeah, Base Stat Totals really aren't everything. It's more important where the stats are placed, than how much you have altogether.

I wasn't really replying directly to you, I just go sidetracked and the post got delayed. It all started with looking up the French word for fire and I just got internet-ed.

And I wouldn't say Pokemon names are terrible. A lot of them are actually pretty nifty names like Arcanine, Gardevoir, Garchomp, Sharpedo, Torterra, Hydreigon's line, etc. Even the less nifty ones like Machamp, Miltank, or Torchic aren't terrible. I guess if you just don't like puns (which a lot of people don't), then yea, they're terrible. But the whole franchise is built on puns and cheesiness (which isn't a bad word in my mind) and so I don't find them generally bad. I like puns and so I accept the puns and rate the name quality based on the punnage. It's just that unfortunately some Pokemon are named by the C-team and have stinkers, but dem the breaks, man. Ice types have a rough time, Sunkern is really bad, and you have names like Sandshrew. Not every type can have 10 resistances, every mon 600 BST or a kickass name like Blaziken.

And feel free to use Fiarcon. I should've trademarked it when I had the chance.

Ehh Staraptor has a 475 BST and that thing is almost in OU.
My point is that it would be the most fragile thing ever if by some act of god it ended up with 135+ Atk and 108+ Speed, leaving it with something awful like base 50-60 in HP/Def/SpD. That isn't good for something that would be spamming recoil moves on top of 4x SR weakness. Talk about being revenge killed even by resisted priority. Also Staraptor isn't close at all to being OU going off of usage stats.

Why isn't the AMAZING Rhyperior in OU?
I See the Rhy family as being a major part of the competitive battling industry in the next gen.
Talonflame will probably have similar stats just like the Pokemon Staraptor and Fearow. Can someone average those stats for me?

I thought Pokemon names had been getting better. I'm really disappointed in Talonflame's name. Hopefully the evolution has something less bad.

i dunno man, i feel like it could sprout some fire-y pheasant tailfeathers or something. i think it could evolve again just judging by its size and how its tailfeathers dont look... mature enough.

Why isn't the AMAZING Rhyperior in OU?
I See the Rhy family as being a major part of the competitive battling industry in the next gen.
Talonflame will probably have similar stats just like the Pokemon Staraptor and Fearow. Can someone average those stats for me?
That horrible special defense (nobody expects it to have good speed) would have to be my guess. Otherwise it has insane HP, Attack, Defense, and movepool. Still using it only against physical attackers should make up for that and put it in OU.

It's not even the Sp.D that kills Rhyperior: It's the "Hit me and watch me die" typing of Rock/Ground, which is literally one of the worst typings to have, combined with Rock/Steel.

Yeah but with good enough special defense and Solid Rock it would balance out.
Not really. There are countless threats in OU that OHKO Rhyperior without a second thought and would continue to do so even if his SpD was moderately higher. He's just bad, but that's enough about non-Gen 6 stuff.

Deja vu. I feel like I'm in the Gen 4 speculation thread all over again.

Assuming the rumours are true about Fairy's type match-ups:

I wonder how the retrofitted Fairy types will benefit (or not) from their new typing? I can see how just having an immunity to a common attack type in Dragon* can be easily exploited... Will Huge Power Azumarill rise to be a common Dragon slayer? First and foremost it would need a decent physical Fairy attack.

It was nice of Gamefreak to toss Fire and Psychic types a bone by giving them resistances to Fairy. Wonder what, if anything, that might do for the viability of Fire types in general.

To wrap up my rambling, I wonder if everything that will be retconned as Fairy will just adopt it as a secondary type, or if anything will actually change from X-type to Fairy type?

breh

強いだね
It's not even the Sp.D that kills Rhyperior: It's the "Hit me and watch me die" typing of Rock/Ground, which is literally one of the worst typings to have, combined with Rock/Steel.
Rhyperior will always be UU for all eternity. It's strong enough to eat a couple of special moves - even low BP quad effective ones at that - but it has a variety of issues. Yes, the Rock/Ground typing is probably the biggest issue, but it would be very happy to have a slightly better Speed (+2 Rhyperior needs jolly to outrun base 115s and, in teh case of UU (next gen's, anyway), it actually needs to run speed to sub before chansey toxics... this is true of all slow base 50 mons), less shitty STAB (yes, edgequake is unresisted as a whole, but stone edge is not reliable and, awkwardly, resisted by a lot of what earthquake is necessary for, lessening the viability of choice band; earthquake is simply not a spammable move outside of gravity), and better coverage (a lot of the things that edgequake hits neutrally are things rhyperior more or less cannot really go up against... granted, you can do things like poison Tangrowth / Slowbro / something on the switch, but there should not be as much prediction in move spamming with a mon with 140 base attack and 100 BP STABs).

@Azumarill being good

The main issue that azumarill faces is less its STAB / lack of resistance to Dragon and more its inability to handle much of OU effectively. Water types essentially give azumarill the middle finger unless it's running subpunch (which is a kind of mediocre set in its own right due to its horrible 4mss, among other reasons) and grass types do the same since ice punch is so hilariously weak. They can't take repeated abuse, obviously, but neither can azumarill, which lacks any sort of recovery. Being more or less forced to run Choice Band introduces issues of its own since being locked into pretty much every one of azumarill's moves is never all that great.

If Azumarill gets a 100 BP Fairy Quake or whatever it's going to be, sure, it might go ok, actually, largely depending on what exactly fairy will allow it to hit neutrally. Until that happens, though, I don't see it being too relevant unless excadrill is unbanned.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just a note about Rhyperior; it's easily one of the best Terrakion lures available. With a Chople Berry and Solid Rock, Fighting type attacks are actually only 0.75x effective, and when combined with 115 / 130 defenses, this means that Rhyperior can take some ridiculous hits. For instance, uninvested, it takes 63.07 - 74.12% from +2 Close Combat. That's pretty badass, and it obviously OHKOs with Earthquake.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I wonder if Corsola evolves into a fairy type.
I seriously wish it could evolve.

I thought Pokemon names had been getting better. I'm really disappointed in Talonflame's name. Hopefully the evolution has something less bad.
Am I the only one who find Gen 5 names too difficult to relate?
I prefer Gen 1 names... not Seel though.

By the way: Why the hell is Sukorupi called Skorupi in ENGLISH? They should have called it Scorpi/ Scorpy/ Scorpie. (from Scorpion)

Do you all think that, because Helioptile and Litleo both have Normal as their secondary typing, they might become counterparts?

A dog and a solar-powered newt? it would be weird for sure. My theory is that it will lose Normal typing when it evolves. Because one constant in the Pokemon games is that the first type NEVER changes.

Just a note about Rhyperior; it's easily one of the best Terrakion lures available. With a Chople Berry and Solid Rock, Fighting type attacks are actually only 0.75x effective, and when combined with 115 / 130 defenses, this means that Rhyperior can take some ridiculous hits. For instance, uninvested, it takes 63.07 - 74.12% from +2 Close Combat. That's pretty badass, and it obviously OHKOs with Earthquake.
Rhyperior isn't a Terrakion lure because Terrakion can't KO even without Chople.

Am I the only one who find Gen 5 names too difficult to relate?
Define difficult. Like take Terrakion. Terra being latin for Earth, and it's a rock type, and kion just being tacked on to make it share an ending with the other two.

Or Victini being a combination of victory (Shaped like a V, victory Pokemon) and a corruption of destiny (Legendary status, etc etc).

Not that hard to relate to.

In other news, I hope they allow for free spotpass DLC for X and Y. Such as new clothes (I really want to dress up as Team Plasma) new accessories (Colress' I-pad) or even just optional songs to use for battles.

And do you thing, for customizable battle themes, it'll be fifty-fifty between who's is chosen? Because I'm guessing that's the case.

The official X & Y site states that "Pokémon that can fly are eligible" to engage in Sky Battles. Do you think this includes Pokémon that don't have the Flying type/Levitate ability, but are obviously able to fly? For instance it would be dumb to exclude Latios, Latias, Hydreigon, Volcarona, and Beedrill from these battles.

Edit: just realized Lati@s and Hydreigon do have Levitate.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
@counterparts

As the fire dog is speculated a bit to be sone kind of manticore,.a Gerek creature, maybe helioptile can fit in to another civilization's myths? From playing AoM too much my brain jumps to some kind of Egyptian sun god myth, which could be pretty cool.

The official X & Y site states that "Pokémon that can fly are eligible" to engage in Sky Battles. Do you think this includes Pokémon that don't have the Flying type/Levitate ability, but are obviously able to fly? For instance it would be dumb to exclude Latios, Latias, Hydreigon, Volcarona, and Beedrill from these battles.

Edit: just realized Lati@s and Hydreigon do have Levitate.
Well Volcarona literally learns fly, so I'd see no reason why not. As for beedrill...hmm

I kinda hope Helioptile's evolutions go from this:

to this:

A dog and a solar-powered newt? it would be weird for sure. My theory is that it will lose Normal typing when it evolves. Because one constant in the Pokemon games is that the first type NEVER changes.
Oh, and Eevee and Azurill would like to have a word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)