Forretress @ Leftovers *** Dice
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Nature: Relaxed (+Def, -Spe)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch / Spikes

Hey everyone! Since the CCAT - Mark III, comes a new CCAT, which is IV! This will probably be our last CCAT or grand finale to BW2, so we will start the Community Create A Team Project! For those who do not know how this works, see CCAT - Mark I, II, and III led by Pocket, ginganinja, and Electrolyte + Harsha. The basic purpose of this thread is to create a successful team that shapes our current metagame. We start by nominating a pokemon and then choosing a play style. From there, we start creating a team that will suit well. Every 4-5 days, nominations will take place, and afterwards, voting will take place for 2 days. This will continue 'till we have a complete team where we will test it and make adjustments. Soon, the team will be done! Everyone is welcome here, so don't leave yourself out!

This part has been shamelessly stolen by Electrolyte, my apologies

Step 1: We select a pokemon to base our team around. This time, there will be no restrictions as to what pokemon you submit- but use common sense, and don't post stupid things like SubSD Caterpie. Try to think of beneficial pokemon to make a team around. What can we learn from making a team around that pokemon? How much experience has been gathered with that pokemon? Just like last time, this step is most important, and a lot of thought should be put in here. Be prepared with supports, as well. This is a discussion, so you're going to want to be able to fend for your idea and prove to the community that it's the best one.

Step 2: We select what style of team we want to make. This will likely include something along the lines of Offense, Bulky Offense (closest form of stall..), Weather, Trick Room, and possibly more.

Step 3: We select Pokemon that work well around our Pokemon and fit the team style and test it. 5 votes here.

Step 4: We fine-tune the team based on our experiences in test-driving the team on the ladder!

Step 5: We finalize the team!
Code:
Bonus Points
Dice -- Vote counts for 2

Joeyboy -- Vote counts for 2

Rules:

~What you say must be viable
~No SPAM
~Nominate only once
~You may vote for two or more sets
~Don't post things because they look cool
~The metagame must be friendly to what you post
~Don't post stuff that aren't viable anymore like Parasect

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
TR SLOWKING

Slowking @ Life Orb
Trait: Regerator
Evs: 232 HP / 252 SAtk / 24 SpD
Quiet Nature
-Trick Room
-Surf
-Psyshock
-Ice Beam/Shadow Ball*

*Don't know if slashes like that are allowed, it will all depend on what our team wants to hit more: Jelli + Slowbro/king with Shadow Ball or Dragons + Celebi with Ice Beam.

This pokemon is pretty effective right now, a set-up sweeper that doesn't mind the rain mons (bar thund, torn, and starmie with thunder) is hard to come by.

Slowking is quite the different pokemon, it is a mon that can be used as a pivot, as well as a late game sweeper. Using this pokemon we can easily turn the tables on the pretty popular offensive teams that are running around, and hopefully find other ways to do this along the way. By using this pokemon we can easily check Keldeo, a pokemon being suspected after landorus, and set up on it (unless it has Hidden Power SE). I feel there are many people who don't know of this hidden gem and we can reveal this threat to people looking to check Keldeo, Starmie (without an electric attack), Spdef Tran (not hard though), Jellicent etc. This pokemon can fit on many different team styles such as: weather, balance, offense, and trick room and can set up on: Sciz locked into BP, scarf terak locked into cc, some jellicent, forretress, non sub toxic tenta, some politoed, etc.

How much experience has been gathered on this pokemon?

Personally, I haven't seen this pokemon on the ladder at all, it might be different in tournament play though. Since this pokemon hasn't been used much on the ladder people will not be expecting it (hopefully) making this pretty effective. This is a uncommon pokemon and I think building a team around it could be pretty fun.

Quagsire (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Quagsire was once a good glue for stall teams, outright walling a ton of offensive threats and boosters. After the release of BW2, Quagsire fell into relative obscurity, being less used than Pokemon like Umbreon. Is Quagsire still viable? I still believe it is, however, it needs proper team support to function to it's fullest ability, which would be perfect for a CCAT, to pin point and make a good team around it for the BW2 meta. This most likely would be a stall, or at least a defensive team, which would be a nice toss up for CCAT IMO.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Awesome, nice to see this project back in action. Here's my nomination:

Latias @ Life Orb
72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe / Timid
~Draco Meteor
~Psyshock
~Hidden Power Fire
~Roost

In a meta crawling with Fighting-types and powerful special attackers, multi-purpose Pokemon such as Latias really shine. Life Orb Latias is an extremely flexible Pokemon- you can fit her onto Stall teams, offensive teams, and weather teams alike. She's got Speed, Power, bulk, and resistances. What more could you ask?

The main reason I feel as if we should build a team around LO Latias, however, is because we will be able to learn a lot about the current stability of the metagame as well as check what's broken and what's not. She is currently one of the most solid checks to Landorus-I, Keldeo-R, Sun, Rain, and special attackers in general- and much of our current "broken" Pokemon come from that pool (Genesect and Tornadus-T where a few old ones) With Latias, we will have a solid way to measure the strength of those special attackers- and see if we truly need to go out of our way, despite already having a solid check, in order to counter said Pokemon.

And, besides all that, Latias is flexible. Having her on our team simultaneously kills like 5 birds with one stone. She hits fast and hard, making her a solid check and revenge killer, she exhibits a shit ton of offensive pressure, can sweep games and check wallbreakers for defensive teams, and she can sponge special attacks for her team. Having her would be useful no matter what kind of style we eventually decide to play.

So yeah, I'm nominating standard fare LO Latias. LO DMeteor hits like a truck, and can easily cleave off 50+% from non-Steel / Rock types. Psyshock hits those annoying Fighting-types, suchas Breloom, Keldeo, or Terrakion, for OHKOs. Hidden Power Fire smashes Scizor, I chose not to run Surf as it makes Latias weak to Steel-types and Surf doesn't even really help vs TTar much anyways... Roost heals off LO recoil and makes Latias last longer.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover
- Foul Play / Snarl / Night Shade

Although at first glance it would seem an unlikely choice for an OU team, Sableye has several unique qualities that make it a beneficial choice in general, and for this CCAT. Sableye's uniqueness and versatility are what make it an ideal choice in my eyes.

I think the main reason Sableye would be a good choice is its versatility. Although its bulk might suggest otherwise, its priority support moves and lack of weaknesses give it use against nearly every type of team, whether it be shutting down support Pokemon or burning a myriad of physical attackers. It also lacks many reliable counters, as shrugging off burns, Taunts, and Foul Plays all in one is hard to come by. It's most reliable counter is Heatran, which has fallen in popularity due to the prevalence of rain, among other factors. As a corollary to this, it meshes with many team styles. Anywhere from balance to stall can spare a team slot for Sableye to wreak havoc, as priority Will-O-Wisp provides a unique form of offensive and defensive support. Sableye can also work well in any weather, as its support is not dependent on any particular one being up. The only weather that could really be considered harmful is Rain, and even then there are still some benefits(it's a better choice than Dusclops anyway). In addition to providing broad forms of support, it fills more niche roles as well. Its Ghost / Dark typing makes it an ideal counter for many Fighting and Psychic-types. Prominent examples are Terrakion and Alakazam, which are often very difficult to outright counter, especially for stall teams. Its ability to spinblock is improved significantly in the sun, being able to defeat all spinners one on one.

The set I've provided is the best overall, and is soon to become the standard on-site. Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, and Recover are all crucial to stall out physical attackers, prevent setup, and generally stick around to annoy the other team as much as possible. The last move is up for grabs. Foul Play deals heavy damage the physical attackers, even after a burn, such as Kyurem-B. It also hits special attackers that are weak to Dark, like Latios, for a large chunk of their health. Snarl is used to cushion blows from special attackers. It's no where near as effective as Will-O-Wisp, but it's nice for crippling switch-ins. Night Shade isn't as effective as the previous two, but has some use. It hits Heatran for decent damage, and can also break Terrakion's Substitutes without boost its attack through Justified. The EV spread cushions Sableye's special side as much as possible, making it much more effective against the likes of Starmie. The cost on the physical side is minimal, since a burn will cripple most physical attackers significantly.

Heatran@ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
Evs: 252 SAtk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-FireBlast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power Ice/ Dragon Pulse
-Will-O-Wisp / Toxic

The forgotten set. The main point of this set is to deal with sun, seeing that it can't be revenged by dugtrio(given stealth rocks are on the field) and firing sun boosted fire blast against these sun teams is pretty neat. After using both flamethrower and will-o-wisp, I found will-o-wisp to be more useful as heatran lures in Tyranitar, terrakion and Garchomp crippling them in the process. Toxic could also be used in the 4 slot crippling bulky water pokes such as Jellicent, rotom-w and politoed.

How much experience has been gathered on this pokemon?
I use it in my main ladder team and it has clutch many close games. It's unfortunately uncommon but makes it more threatening as most people don't expect it. This set has been used(with variations in the moveset) by both the finalist and semi finalist in the ongoing Smogon Tour.

Carracosta@ lumberry
Nature: Adamant
Trait: sturdy
evs:252atk,252 speed, 4hp
Moves:
aqua jet
rock slide
earthquake
shell smash

Out of all the shell smashers available, I feel carracosta gets often over looked for cloyster who sports a harder hitting stab in icicle spear and superior speed. However, I do feel carracosta might be a good poke to look into since it can benefit from both of the common weathers, sand and rain, and is almost guaranteed to setup a shell smash. He would be an interesting challenge for ccat since he can be used in a fare amount of play styles. Ranging from balance to priority based offense to weather play.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If we want to get a successful CCAT. you guys are going to have to look hard at the current metagame when submitting something. For instance, if your submission is walled hard by like, Celebi, Keldeo or Lati@s then you will need hard justification because these pokemon are like EVERYWHERE.

Yes, you can submit technically "anything" but if you ignore the current metagame, and pick something to build a team around which the current meta is unkind to, then this team will not be effective at all. I recommend everyone to check out the suspect ladder on PS! (or anywhere where skilled battlers are playing) and looking for common patterns / mons so you can target those mons with your submission(s).

I am not asking for us to find something that 100% beats every team out there, but if we can find submissions that don't auto lose to common pokemon then we have a greater chance at succeeding.

I will prolly go back and look at some submissions later if I find the time, but please consider submitting something anti meta that actually works!

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Bulky Gyarados is not only great in this metagame (even if lando and keldeo were to leave), it is also a great pokemon in general. Moreso than that, though, is that unlike a lot of the other suggestions, you can build a team around it! It is a sweeper with very few counters (rotom-w, ferrothorn... um... empoleon?) and very nice bulk to top it off. Support for it is clear: things that can deal with its said counters, rapid spin, and possibly rain, though it really isn't necessary, at least not to the extent that it would be for something like feraligatr or tornadus. It has no problem setting up with intimidate+its natural bulk+resistances and a sub makes that job even easier.

Really, the combination of being the natural center of a team, its few counters/checks, and the fact that it does not lock us strictly into any playstyle makes it an outstanding first pick for this project

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'd rather see this CCAT thread go beyond <insert one top 20 mon/gimmick mon with standard set><insert same stale list of cores to beat counters of overused mon>

<begin_rant>

OU is already suffering from rabid lack of creativity, and I don't want to see ANOTHER team based around Gyarados/Heatran/Keldeo/Lati Blah blah blah. That would be a pointless exercise. And most of the "offbeat" submission till now suck at standard meta right now, without providing any consistent niche. Hard truth but better get it out of the way.

</end_rant>

----------------------------------------
For My Submission.
This baby right here is my Nomination

Feel The Hurricane Powah!

Tornadus @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 SpA / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Focus Blast / Roost / Taunt

With the ban of Tornadus-T, the metagame lost its premier revenge killer and hurricane spammer, for better or for worse. Luckily, Torn-T's little brother, Tornadus-Incarnate, can fill that spot just as well, if not better.
The Ace of the Set is access to priority Tailwind, you can sacrifice it late game to bring about a sweep, by stuff like CB Kyurem-B, Specs Keldeo, Banded Terrakion, Thunderus-T, SubCM Jirachi, the list goes on.

Add that to a very beneficial 125 base SpA, on top of the most powerful flying type move, and it is a very big threat to deal with. Tornadus's EVs bring out the most in its 125 SpA and 111 speed. Its item, sharp beak, is used over a Life Orb because of Tornadus's general frailty, and that 10% increase in hurricane's power can actually matter with as high a SpA stat as tornadus. U-turn is used to help lure in some known checks, such as heatran, tyranitar, chansey, and jirachi, and gain momentum from it. Some good teammates to have would include:

• Dugtrio - To take out heatran, tyranitar, and jirachi, as well as those cheap Revenge Killers
  • Politoed - ofc, he is the number one partner, and arguably the necessity. Without politoed, you rely on a 70% accurate move. :[
  • Lastly, any powerful sweeper. With tailwind, you allow a slower pokemon a chance to sweep. things such as Keldeo, Kyurem-b, and Terrakion wont be revenge killed by Latios and a set-up Landorus anymore with that +2 boost.

Reasons why this pokemon should be used:

• Hurricane spam. We have seen how devastating it is even with a way lower SpA stat.
  • Access to +1 tailwind. Which doesn't make it a lone wolf, and makes it interesting to build a team around.
  • Excellent Speed Tier, Outspeeding most top threats in OU with beastly 111 speed, backed up by a super 125 SpA

All in all, Not the cheap hurricane spamming machine like it's Therian cousin but has it's own advantages over it. It exchanges Regenerator cockblock buff for Higher SpA and Priority Set Up and hits like a goddamn truck. Not very OP or easy to use like Keldeo and hece provides for an interesting team building exercise to support this pokemon, but at the same time it's capable enough to pull it's own weight and support it's team with Prankster, not making it a liability.

Good to see this back :) Was considering Virizion but eventually decided to nominate:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Calm, 248 HP / 236 SpDef / 24 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- HP Ice
- Roost
- Heat Wave / Toxic

Specially Defensive Zapdos is incredibly anti-meta. It's one of the very few Pokémon which can claim to counter Lando-I, as well as a vast number of other threats such as Breloom, Jirachi, Scizor, Tornadus and virtually everything seen on a standard offensive Rain team. While it doesn't see the same usage as more common Lando counters like Celebi or Latias, due to it's painful Stealth Rock weakness, it also lacks the weaknesses to Pursuit and U-turn which cripple them; and it also checks a wider variety of physical threats due to its great typing. Given the necessary support, Zapdos could be a fantastic defensive stalwart for practically any kind of team.

248 HP lets you switch into SR 4 times; the speed investment puts you one point ahead of everything which sits one point ahead of Adamant Breloom; and the rest goes into Zappy's SpDef. Thunderbolt, HP Ice and Roost are all requisite; Heat Wave is generally preferable to hit Ferrothorn, and do more damage to Scizor, Breloom and friends, but Toxic, Roar or even Substitute (with Toxic Spikes support) can also fit there.

Temp V1

Movin' at the speed of life and I can't slow down
Have to strongly agree with what Ginger wrote, I've observed previous CCAT projects and they tend to be a lot more fun and creative when you start with a solid base. Looking at step 1 outlined in the OP, the first Mon has to be something we can build around and, again going back to what Ginger said, something thats viable in OU at the moment. That said I haven't come up with anything of my own to submit yet but I'll start to look into that now, I'll just quickly post my thoughts on some of the things submitted so far.

Slowking @ Life Orb
Trait: Regerator
Evs: 232 HP / 252 SAtk / 24 SpD
Quiet Nature
-Trick Room
-Surf
-Psyshock
-Ice Beam/Shadow Ball*

Definitely not a common sight so it ticks boxes for being unique and rather unexpected, and as much as this project is about creativity I'm not sure how viable it would be in OU even with great team support. The biggest problems I see immediately looking at it are Breloom and Ferrothorn who you are found to run into every second game. Granted Breloom isn't an issue once you get your Trick Room up, but before then a Bullet Seed is going to ruin your day. Theres also no real way to respond to Ferrothorn, and it could eventually stall you out.
We could definitely build around Slowking, but I think it would be quite challenging to come up with something to fare well against the current OU metagame.

Quagsire (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Quagsire is definitely something that could do quite well in the OU metagame if given the proper support, it aptly handles most weather and provides a decent answer to set up sweepers. I really like the idea of leaving space to implement stall as the primary strategy for the team, and Quagsire could be a good part of that. At face value however I don't really see this Quagsire set as being something that provides a solid base to start with, you're 100% right in saying its a great glue for stall teams, but you don't start a model ship with the glue and then add the parts afterwards. That's just my thinking at the moment though, from memory there are Quagsire sets that could be slightly better for this project. I do quite like the prospect though :)

Latias @ Life Orb
72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe / Timid
~Draco Meteor
~Psyshock
~Hidden Power Fire
~Roost

Probably my most favourite submission so far. Its not a unique set, but its such a great starting block for a project such as this. You're exactly right in all your justifications so I won't repeat whats already been said. Latias gives us plenty of options, and is something we can easily build around.

Sableye @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover
- Foul Play / Snarl / Night Shade

Seriously one of the most underrated Mons out there. Sableye is incredibly versatile and fits onto any team well, basically hes just one of the best utility Mons there is in my opinion. That said building around him would be kind of difficult, as all thats changed is the first member of the team has been picked, and building a core and strategy around Sableye then is really just like starting the team from scratch. I would definitely love to see Sableye on the final team, but I don't think hes the ideal first member.

Heatran@ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
Evs: 252 SAtk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-FireBlast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power Ice/ Dragon Pulse
-Will-O-Wisp / Toxic

Again something that doesn't see as much usage as it possibly should, but with the way the current meta sits theres a reason for that. The oh so common Keldeo/TTar/Lando core at the moment can just demolish Heatran, and while adding a scarf means it can nab a few surprise KOs, it still isn't as great in this meta as it once was. My only real issue with this set at the moment though, is that picking a Scarfer as something to base the team around starts to limit what we can do with the rest of the team already, and we don't really want to be putting ourselves behind the 8 ball from the very start.

Carracosta@ lumberry
Nature: Adamant
Trait: sturdy
evs:252atk,252 speed, 4hp
Moves:
aqua jet
rock slide
earthquake
shell smash

I do like the surprise factor that Carracosta can bring to a project like this, it certainly would be something interesting to build around. But again going back to what Ginger said the current OU meta is just not friendly towards it. Yes we can build the entire team to support it, but with things such as Ferrothorn, Scizor, Keldeo, Terrakion, Breloom heck even Celebi as common as they are, by patching up those weaknesses of Carracosta we use at least half the team, and sort of restrict what the project could have been. Not a bad idea though.

Tornadus @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 SpA / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Focus Blast / Roost / Taunt

This and Latias would have to be my two most preferred submissions so far. Tornadus provides a great deal of flexibility, and it can function well in the current meta given the right support. I would say its probably a bit more versatile than Latias which would give us a few more options when building around it. Ideally if using Tornadus we'd eventually turn the team into some sort of Rain team, which theres nothing wrong with, but it does sort of hinder the creative aspect of this. Then again we could just rambo it and count on 70% Hurricanes :D

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Calm, 248 HP / 236 SpDef / 24 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- HP Ice
- Roost
- Heat Wave / Toxic

I really like the idea of Zapdos for this. It is indeed quite anti-meta which makes it rather viable for this project, and before you stat looking at things that have set up, the number of things that straight up threaten Zapdos is rather small. The only reason that I wouldn't put Zapdos at the same level as either Tornadus or Latias thus far, is that it still fills a more supporting role, but it most certainly isn't far behind. I think of those three (Latias/Tornadus/Zapdos), Zappy might be the most fun to build around.

Those are just my first glance thoughts, I apologize if any of my comments seem harsh, and if I've misinterpreted something please let me know. I'll try to come up with a submission of my own soon.

Again, this is seriously starting to get off the block. We need a pokemon that actually sees use in the metagame, while maintaining some source of creativity. For example, Carracosta isn't the bet thing out there. It sits in NU and is not seen for ceretain reasons. One is obviously Cloyster and Omastar which arguably do what Carracosta does better. Cloyster would be something interesting to build around and is definetly viable in the current state of the metagame especially with Rain teams running around.

Then we go to UU, Sableye, Zapdos, and Tornadus are cool things as well, but are still good. Now, we got TR Slowking, which I don't think should be considered because it's TR and why would you use this over Reuniclus. See, we have stuff that outclasses other things as the aforementioned Reuniclus > Slowking and Cloyster > Carracosta.

We should suggest those instead because they fit better in the current metagame. However, if you suggest something like Zapdos > Thundurus-T which has may advantages over Thundurus-T and vice versa , then you are maintaining creativity while building a successful team. I feel like these nominations are gonna end up in ditches such as people voting for SubRoost Staraptor, so don't ring the wrong bell. Thanks for the nom. guys!

2 More Days for Nominations

More like MONSTEROUS.

Landorus (Landorus-T) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 56 Hp / 252 Atk / 8 Def / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

Double Dance Landorus-T is an extremely underrated offensive threat in the metagame and is able to fit on all kinds of teams: balanced/offensive sand, sun, and weather less HO. Landorus-T is able to cover both sweep the offensive side of the metagame with Rock Polish and open up huge holes in defensive teams with Swords Dance. What is great about Landorus-T if we run our own weather is if the opponent traps our weather starter with Dugtrio, we can threaten a counter sweep easily with Landorus-T. Double Dance Landorus-T has a huge surprise factor behind it because most opponents expect just expect the standard SR pivot set. Lastly, Intimidate serves great utility in impeding a sweep of physical sweepers on an opponent's team. Overall, Landorus-T is an underrated, yet effective, offensive threat that can fit on many teams and is what I beleive deserves to be the starting point of this CCAT.

How much experience is there with this Pokemon? Double Dance Landorus-T is one of the rarer offensive threats in the metagame, but it is without good reason. The double dance faces competition from the SR setter, which is a great pivot for many teams, for a slot. But the double dance set is as good, if not better, than the SR set. I have used the double dance set before and I can tell you that with additional pressure on Skarmory, Landorus-T can guarantee a sweep.

Here we are again, at square 1. I'm going to post a Pokemon that, if chosen, can fit in a lot of play styles, some better than others.

Rhyperior (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
Nature: Impish
-Earthquake
-Rock Blast
-Dragon Tail
-Avalanche

Obviously this set works with hazards. Earthquake is Rhyperior's reliable STAB, end of story. Rock Blast is handy for good accuracy, STAB, breaking Substitutes, and breaking Dragonite's Multiscale. Dragon Tail allows Rhyperior to phase and rack up hazard damage (provided by another Pokemon), and Avalanche lets Rhyperior do heavy damage to many Dragon-types out there, such as Dragonite, Salamence, and Garchomp. It also hits the Latis super effectively, and will typically have 120 BP off a Base 140 attack stat!

In OU, Rhyperior can be used as a lead, a sweeper (Trick Room), as a defensive Pokemon under Sand, an offensive tank, a Politoed lure, etc. Let's see where we can take this Pokemon!

Feraligatr @ Liechi Berry / Salac Berry
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spd / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Substitute
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance / Swords Dance

Just take one good hard look at this nasty mother. With Torrent, +2, rain and STAB, waterfall is no joke and has 20% flinch to boot. One may immediately ask, but HUARGH, why not use Terrakion? Feraligatr will get screwed by sand if he tries to substitute down too much whereas Terrakion doesn't, is slower and doesn't have a very useful double STAB combination such as Terrakion. As a bonus, Terrakion resists stealth rock and doesn't care about sun or rain as well!

Although a legitimate question, there are plenty of reasons as to why one would use Feraligatr. For one, it's fucking Feraligatr, it is much cooler than your Terrakion. Perhaps you aren't trying to win any coolprizes but only care about effectiveness; for you I have some arguments as well. Feraligatr resists bullet punch whereas Terrakion is OHKO'd by the omnipresent Scizor Bullet Punch, which Feraligatr survives at 25% HP if Scizor is not CB. Feraligatr also survives all Ice Shards at 25% HP. Feraligatr usually runs aqua jet whereas Terrakion only has quick attack (and that is rarely seen + pathetically weak). Feraligatr doesn't have to use Fail Edge and miss 20% of the time. Finally, Feraligatr does very well against Jellicent (who cannot break his subs unless who at the same time is a somewhat common switch-in to him, ready to Will-O-Wisp. Well tough luck, because with the given EVs Jellicent will never break Feraligatr's sub (with scald) under rain. +1 Speed Adamant gives him 373 speed, enough to outrun nearly everything that is not scarfed nor Jolteon, including Starmie and Alakazam who cap out at 361 and 372. Additionally, let us see how it fares against common OU pokemon:

+2 252+ Atk Torrent Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo in rain: 303-357 (93.8 - 110.52%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Feraligatr Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 330-390 (81.68 - 96.53%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Torrent Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 342-404 (88.6 - 104.66%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Torrent Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Politoed in rain: 352-414 (91.66 - 107.81%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Torrent Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 236+ Def Tentacruel in rain: 265-312 (72.8 - 85.71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and weather
+2 252+ Atk Torrent Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn in rain: 186-220 (52.84 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Torrent Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragonite in rain: 290-342 (89.78 - 105.88%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Not only this, but Feraligatr is good at killing its supposed counters. I ask you: take a random OU team of yours. What are your checks against rain-boosted water moves? Is it Jellicent? Nope, can't touch subgatr + raped by crunch. Is it Celebi? Raped by crunch. Is it Latias? Raped by crunch.

Vote for Feraligatr

Wow, I can't believe this is my first post outside the Ubers forums o_0.

Anyway, screw standard shit, we need a manly pokemon. And they don't come much more manly than fucking Mandibuzz,

Mandibuzz (MAN) @ Leftovers
Trait: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 SDef
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Brave Bird/Foul Play/U Turn
- Toxic/Whirlwind

The EV spread means that you can never be OHKO'd by CB Terrakion's CC after Stealth Rocks, allowing you to Brave Bird it before you die; but you're still able to take Specs Latios Draco with rocks up (and with rocks off the field, you can feasibly take two). It's a bit random, but I'm welcome to any tweaks to the spread. Taunt is what makes Mandibuzz great. Ferrothorn and Foretress switch in thinking they can set up on you, then Mandibuzz flips its middle.. wing, I guess, tells them to fuck off, and proceeds to roost for delicious health. Speaking of which, Roost gives Mandibuzz amazing survivability, allowing it to take a key hit and not be dead weight. BB makes sure Mandibuzz isn't complete taunt bait, though Foul Play can be used too (though I prefer BB, too many Terrakions in OU to be using Foul Play). Alternatively, U Turn can be used to grab momentum, which is amazing on a wall. Toxic or Whirlwind really depends on the rest of the team. If we have a problem with set up sweepers, Whirlwind is preferred, but if not, then Toxic allows Mandibuzz to whittle down the opponent without killing itself to BB recoil.

Mandibuzz doesn't limit our team style either, as with its decent speed and access to U-Turn, it can fit well even on offensive teams, acting as a defensive pivot that can take powerful attacks in OU. One thing to note though, is that Mandibuzz is not a wall. It's there to take one time hits, force a switch, and roost up to take it again. Not sit there for days like a little bitch getting slapped.

True men vote Mandibuzz.

Latios (M) @ Expert Belt / Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Thunderbolt / Psyshock

Latios is mainly used for wall breaking via spamming Draco Meteors, but this set takes advantage of his impressive speed and immediate power to clean up late game or loosen a team up mid-game. He also serves as a great Pokemon for eliminating opposing weather starters, with only Hippowdon being very hard to eliminate. He can be fit onto almost any offensive team, some balance, and can be used as a cleaner on a stall team. Expert Belt is used over Life Orb to extend his sweep, and allows him to fit better on sandstorm teams. Calm Mind is makes us even harder to revenge, as the most common scarfer, Keldeo, can't deal much damage after some boosts. Dragon Pulse is just the better STAB here since it doesn't lower Latios's special attack. Hidden Power Fighting allows us to hit Ferrothorn and Tyranitar hard, and Thunderbolt makes taking down Politoed easier as well as Keldeo and other bulky water or flying types. Psyshock can be used to hit Blissey, but I find Thunderbolt is much more useful. I find this set to be much more useful than the CM Latias set thanks to the immediate power of it, and the unpredictability. You can also bluff a choice set thanks to the Expert Belt which is just another plus. Changed the EV's to Shurtugal's suggestion since they actually accomplish something instead of just going max/max.

Latios (M) @ Expert Belt / Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 156 SAtk / 100 HP
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Thunderbolt / Psyshock

Latios is mainly used for wall breaking via spamming Draco Meteors, but this set takes advantage of his impressive speed and immediate power to clean up late game or loosen a team up mid-game. He also serves as a great Pokemon for eliminating opposing weather starters, with only Hippowdon being very hard to eliminate. He can be fit onto almost any offensive team, some balance, and can be used as a cleaner on a stall team. Expert Belt is used over Life Orb to extend his sweep, and allows him to fit better on sandstorm teams. Calm Mind is makes us even harder to revenge, as the most common scarfer, Keldeo, can't deal much damage after some boosts. Dragon Pulse is just the better STAB here since it doesn't lower Latios's special attack. Hidden Power Fighting allows us to hit Ferrothorn and Tyranitar hard, and Thunderbolt makes taking down Politoed easier as well as Keldeo and other bulky water or flying types. Psyshock can be used to hit Blissey, but I find Thunderbolt is much more useful. The EV spread gives us a most speed as possible, which is self explanatory. The amount of EV's in special attack ensure the OHKO on Tyranitar without a boost, and the remaining EV's are just tossed into HP to give us more bulk. I find this set to be much more useful than the CM Latias set thanks to the immediate power of it, and the unpredictability. You can also bluff a choice set thanks to the Expert Belt which is just another plus.
156 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fighting vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in sand: 250-296 (64.76 - 76.68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You can't OHKO Tyranitar with max investment either, so I'd revise the EV spread a little.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 16 SDef / 160 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Dance

THE BOSS! Seriously, I still hold a strong belief that this Dragonite is the best late game sweeper in the game. It sets up on everything! Even uninvested Ice Beams, seriously

0 SpA Vaporeon Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 60 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 140-166 (36.26 - 43%) -- 97.85% chance to 3HKO

Then you roost and its Ice Beams are barely scratching 20%. Now with that said Dnite doesn't exactly want to be setting up on Ice attacks, I only show that to indicate how easily it sets up. Quick name the Pokemon that are on most well built teams, things like Celebi and Jellicent. Can you say total set up bait. Because thats what they are; Jellicent has nothing on Dnite and Celebi has to get good Psychic damage rolls to even break its Substitutes.

Hell lets take the more offensive Keldeo check, Latias:

252 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 60 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 250-294 (64.76 - 76.16%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Then you're guaranteed to OHKO with a +1 Dragon Claw.

Now you're probably thinking, "Joeyboy you're not nominating Keldeo, you're nommin Dragonite." And yes, yes I am, I bring up these Pokemon because they are so omnipresent in our metagame, everyone needs to have Pokemon like them to survive in likely game situations. I bring them up to prove how anti-metagame Dragonite is. Plus it has loads of other oppurtunities to set up on all the Choiced 'mons in this metagame of ours.

How much experience is there with this Pokemon?

This set was pretty popular during BW1 and had a surge after Stone Cold's RMT plus Snunch's ST8 winning team showed how awesome it really is. Plus, if I remember correctly Phil#s used it in his Frontier winning last game. Regardless its a well known threat but one that has had less and less popularity in the BW2 metagame. I think Genesect may have been the cause but I believe Sub+DD Dragonite would flourish at the moment.

Aside from my own submission, I really like Sableye and the Dragonite from above post. Small nitpick on Sableye though; it should probably have some speed EVs to speedcreep other Sableyes (I generally run 12, but 8 is fine). It should also have max Def instead of SDef, reason being that in OU most things hurt much harder and it makes Sableye excel at stopping physical threats due to foul play + burn + 252+ def

156 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fighting vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in sand: 250-296 (64.76 - 76.68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You can't OHKO Tyranitar with max investment either, so I'd revise the EV spread a little.
Yeah my bad, was doing calcs in a rush since I had to leave soon, so I forgot the HP EV's on Ttar. Fixed it :)

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
Now, we got TR Slowking, which I don't think should be considered because it's TR and why would you use this over Reuniclus. See, we have stuff that outclasses other things as the aforementioned Reuniclus > Slowking.
Slowking has a few things going for it that sets it apart from Reuniclus. Slowking resists BP and can take advantage of the weather, two big advantages. However the most major is the fact that it can be used as a pivot to take rain boosted water attacks, and late game it can set up on these attacks. One other meh thing is it doesn't have to rely on Focus Blast to hit certain things. Yes Reuni has Magic Guard to omit passive damage but I believe Regenerator makes up for this and the fact that it can be used for a defensive back bone for your team.

We should suggest those instead because they fit better in the current metagame.

Slowking better fits our meta b/c it isn't a liability on our team until late game and it is hard to RK.

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Mew @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Spd / 148 Def
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Psychic / Ice Beam / Aura Sphere / Flamethrower

I've always really liked the stallbreaker Mew set, and I think it has quite a bit of potential in the current metagame. The things that would normally want to switch in on Mew, such as Scizor or Tyranitar, face the likelihood of being crippled and useless for the rest of the match. This makes the opponent's switch-in options very limited, making it easy to gain a lot of momentum. It's able to fit in on several team archetypes, such as all forms of Sand, Rain Balance, and Weatherless, so we wouldn't be limited in the kind of playstyle we want to use for the project.

Mew @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Spd / 148 Def
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost Softboiled
- Psychic / Ice Beam / Aura Sphere / Flamethrower
Just a quick nitpick. Nobody likes roost on Mew :( that being said, why not use Sableye for this? I realize Mew is bulkier, but it doesn't get priority (it does learn foul play but gets no STAB either). Sableye also has the advantage of being immune to normal, fighting and psychic and therefor blocking rapid spin (aditionally it isn't weak to dark, ghost or bug).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)