Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
true, but similar logic can apply to pikachu - it's the posterboy for pokemon, shouldn't it be the most powerful?

well... not exactly.
Well not...really.
Pikachu was designed before it was chosen as mascot.
Clefairy & Poliwhirl were in the running, too

e: What I'm getting at is that if Slyveon is the fairy type's mascot, and the one most people are likely to want to use, it should have a good chance of actually being good against dragons

Well not...really.
Pikachu was designed before it was chosen as mascot.
Clefairy & Poliwhirl were in the running, too

e: What I'm getting at is that if Slyveon is the fairy type's mascot, and the one most people are likely to want to use, it should have a good chance of actually being good against dragons
oooh i didn't know about poliwhirl... maybe that's why it's red's first pokemon in pokemon adventures.
though those two are still pretty weak too so the same logic applies.

true, but by sole virtue of the type being [possibly?] immune to dragons and super-effective against them, i wouldn't think the stats need to be optimal. having 130 in... gosh, defence, maybe [a lot of the dragons are physical], and then 110 in special attack would still work.
[i thought speed at first but then that'd be directly copying the best and second-best stats of jolteon, and i'm thinking they wouldn't do that]

To be honest i wanted fennekin from the start.
When i saw Chespin i thought: Grass oshawott.
Froakie: Another frog?
Fenniken: Ok we got vulpix, and Zorua who both look like you but because i like those mons i chose you!

When i saw the starters i thought gamefreak ran out of idea's but now that i see the otherss I think they ogt enought :)

nah, it's not competitively. it's an ocd quality of mine, haha. i did that before i even knew what smogon was - i'm actually more liable to double-up types because i do that sometimes on my competitive teams, tbh.
I can understand this... The only time I had 2 Pokemon who shared the same type was with Lucario and Magneton, because Lucario is mainly a fight type

Well, Fennekin seems more specially oriented, and the others seems more physically oriented.

If Froakie is really Water/Fight, it will interract with both Clauncher and Pancham, and I want these both on my team already.

It will also depend of the evolution, obviously. For now, Fennekin stay my favorite

Every generation, egg and breeding mechanics have changed. Now one has yet to mention Pokemon breeding. Why?
Probably because there's not a lot to go by as far as predicting goes. Though now that you bring it up, they do improve on breeding mechanics and make it easier to get competitive Pokemon with every passing generation by making inheriting mechanics more convenient.

Perhaps they'll improve the Power Item parent mechanics so that you can actually pass down two IVs instead of having a 50/50 chance between them? Like if one parent had 31 Atk and a Power Bracer and the other parent had 31 Spe and a Power Anklet and the two bred, all their offspring would have guaranteed 31 IVs in both Attack and Speed. This seems like the kind of breeding improvement that GameFreak would implement, given the changes they've made to Everstone over the years...

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Perhaps they'll improve the Power Item parent mechanics so that you can actually pass down two IVs instead of having a 50/50 chance between them? Like if one parent had 31 Atk and a Power Bracer and the other parent had 31 Spe and a Power Anklet and the two bred, all their offspring would have guaranteed 31 IVs in both Attack and Speed. This seems like the kind of breeding improvement that GameFreak would implement, given the changes they've made to Everstone over the years...
The problem with that is it already works that way iirc. And then you cannot pass down a Nature as easily. The breeding Mechanics in BW2 were bad for abilities, I hope they change that back. It's usually easier to breed good Pokemon in BW1.

As far as breeding goes, I still think the best inference(assuming breeding egg moves isn't changing, because why would it?) is that the egg groups with the most Fairy types in them will have a leg up in choosing their coverage moves because of the potential range of access to Fairy attacks.

I think the best way to improve breeding is to have the baby always inherit the highest IV. Kind of like a dominant trait where high IVs are pigmented skin and low IVs are white skin, and pigmented>white. So if you're breeding a Garchomp with 25/30/28/16/14/24 with a Salamence that has 26/31/31/20/5/18, the baby comes out 26/31/31/28/20/24. Always. This way you don't have to decide between an Everstone to pass down Nature or a bracer to pass down IVs, or have to have long chains to pass down the right IVs to the right mon so they can breed with someone else. Or, you know, spend countless hours biking and have hundreds of "worthless" baby Pokemon.

So if you have a 31/31/31/31/31/31 Ditto you're set for life, basically.

I think the best way to improve breeding is to have the baby always inherit the highest IV. Kind of like a dominant trait where high IVs are pigmented skin and low IVs are white skin, and pigmented>white. So if you're breeding a Garchomp with 25/30/28/16/14/24 with a Salamence that has 26/31/31/20/5/18, the baby comes out 26/31/31/28/20/24. Always. This way you don't have to decide between an Everstone to pass down Nature or a bracer to pass down IVs, or have to have long chains to pass down the right IVs to the right mon so they can breed with someone else. Or, you know, spend countless hours biking and have hundreds of "worthless" baby Pokemon.

So if you have a 31/31/31/31/31/31 Ditto you're set for life, basically.
Yes please. Getting good IVs is still pretty hard even if you have flawless parents. I never fully understood RNG'ing, so that wasn't an option. I hope Gamefreak will implement this mechanic in X & Y (or even Z), as breeding just takes to much time atm. And besides, it makes sense to work this way, as it's pretty much the same in the real world just like you said, with like brown eyes dominating green eyes genes iirc.

Leak said this:

Fairy will be a new type. It is weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, and Fire and Psychic-type Pokemon take half damage from it.
I kind of doubt this if only because all those types seem unrelated to each other, and that would destroy the whole, resistanceless sableye/spiritomb thing.

Most types are weak to similar stuff to what they're not very effective against, or super effective against stuff they resist. That leak just has random typings listed in each area and lists nothing that fairy resists....

I kind of doubt this if only because all those types seem unrelated to each other, and that would destroy the whole, resistanceless sableye/spiritomb thing.

Most types are weak to similar stuff to what they're not very effective against, or super effective against stuff they resist. That leak just has random typings listed in each area and lists nothing that fairy resists....

Alright, let's recap.

-Psychic hits Poison SE, yet they both resist fighting.

-Dark hits Ghost SE, yet the both hit Psychic SE.

-Bug hits Fire SE, but they both hit Grass SE.

And there are most likely other examples.

Let's look at the Fairy type, and what is rumored about them. At first, noticeable is that there isn't anything known that Fairy might resist, which is odd, especially considering the two weaknesses the Fairy type has. That being said, there is more about it and I assume more resistances and weaknesses on both sides of the spectrum have to be revealed.

There are also too few types that resist Fairy, I think, and as such, that the leak only told half the story. Thinking about fairies, numerous weaknesses and resistances come to mind. And as such, I am going to feed the rumor and make my guess. Things with a question mark are things which are even more guesswork than the rest, and things marked as confirmed, are, well... confirmed and as such not a guess at all.

Fairy offensive:
Strong against: Dragon (confirmed), Fighting (?), Dark (?)
Weak against: Grass, Fire, Psychic, Steel, Bug (?)
Neutral : Everything else

Fairy defensive:
Immunity: Dragon (?)
Resists: Fighting, Grass, Bug, Dragon (?)
Weak to: Poison, Steel, Normal (?)
Neutral: Everything else
Uncertain: Dark

A few things are obvious; Fairies won't harm the nature they live in, but they aren't harmed by them either (mutual resistances to Grass and Bug). Fairies can't really touch fire and smaller ones are afraid of it, (and as such, Fire resists Fairy), though larger fairies (giants and witches) probably won't be too bothered by it (and thus, Fairy is not weak to fire). Creatures with a powerful mind won't be afraid of fairy magic and can possibly easily deflect it through psychokinesis (Psychic resist).
In folklore, Fairies slay dragons (translating to weaknesses as well as resists and a possible immunity), and it's pretty hard to hit a nimble fairy with a fist, or to actually hurt one if it is a giant (resist to Fighting, possible weakness). Fairies in folklore are often killed by sword, much like witches and other magic creatures, whether humanoid or not (translates to being weak to Steel as well as Steel resisting it). Fairies despise toxins for obvious reasons, even more than anything else (resulting in a weakness to Poison).
That being said, humans often killed people rumored to be witches and the likes in the past, and as such, Fairies are weak to (stupid?) Normals, provided GF is willing to give Normals a type advantage to something, that is.
Then there is the match-up against Dark, which I don't know squat about. Fairies and fairy magic in some tales and ESPECIALLY recent stories is extremely effective against evilness (Harry Potter as well as Eragon comes to mind), while taking nothing from it in return (again, Harry Potter comes to mind). However, Fairies also despise evil and trickery, which could translate to a weakness as well, but though ambivalent, also to a resistance as they are equipped to deal with it better than most, especially in the numerous elf stories out there.

Has that stat been confirmed/made almost certain by fans? If so the only Eeveelution it matches is Umbreon and I hope Sylveon does not end up a wall. Put the other two good stats in either Attack or Sp Attack (whichever Fairy types usually are my guess Sp Attack since it is like a split of Psychic and that Fairy is magic) and the other in Speed and it would be good. It just has to be good, it is the poster of Fairy type!
It's from a while back, but here's Aerophoenix's post. It's on the 119th page btw.
Actually it is hard to genarate Sylveon's stats judging by the videa.
Because we don't know the iv's,ev's, nature from both sides neither if they're still here.
We also don't know the base power of the moves.
But judging by the name Fairy Wind, could it ba an ominious/silver wind clone?
60 BP 10% boosting all stats?
kadabrium posted his calculations regarding the Fairy Wind on Serebii which confirms that Dark-type is indeed weak to Fairy.

I expanded upon them a bit and it seems that it is going to be an Astonish/Struggle Bug/Incinerate clone.

Alternatively, it will the first single hit move with 25 BP.

On the topic of Fairy-type attacks, does anyone else think the believed Psychic attack that Fennekin used in the first trailer is actually a Fairy-type move? So, Fennekin's final evo could be Fire / Fairy. This has been on my mind for awhile now and I feel it could a possibility.

(Yes, I know this has been talked about TO DEATH)

On the topic of Fairy-type attacks, does anyone else think the believed Psychic attack that Fennekin used in the first trailer is actually a Fairy-type move? So, Fennekin's final evo could be Fire / Fairy. This has been on my mind for awhile now and I feel it could a possibility.

(Yes, I know this has been talked about TO DEATH)
the pink wavy lines are usually a psychic thing
I mean, sure, it's possible but ehhh probably not

The Eeveelutions have a tendency toward special attacks, so I don't see Sylveon's having super high special attack or speed. If I had to guess, I'd go with something like this (or at least it's what I'd like):

130 HP / 65 Atk / 60 Def / 95 SpA / 65 SpD / 110 Spe

Flareon is the only other Eeveelution with 95 SpA, so I could see that working. 110 speed lets it tie Espeon, while 130 HP gives it fair bulk despite the lesser defenses. This would make it a decent attacker, albeit the weakest of Eevee's evolutions, while giving it enough speed and defenses to pull off supportive fairy moves.

Please gamefreak no more rock/steel/ground types stahp D:

Or at least make high attack/speed. Even with massive defenses they still fall easy

The Eeveelutions have a tendency toward special attacks, so I don't see Sylveon's having super high special attack or speed. If I had to guess, I'd go with something like this (or at least it's what I'd like):

130 HP / 65 Atk / 60 Def / 95 SpA / 65 SpD / 110 Spe

Flareon is the only other Eeveelution with 95 SpA, so I could see that working. 110 speed lets it tie Espeon, while 130 HP gives it fair bulk despite the lesser defenses. This would make it a decent attacker, albeit the weakest of Eevee's evolutions, while giving it enough speed and defenses to pull off supportive fairy moves.

In the trailer upon releasing the Fairy type, it showed Sylveon with much less base HP than 130. Actually closer to 95 Base HP.

July 15, 2013, or a few days before that. Always assume that there's going to be no new info between issues of CoroCoro; you'll be right the majority of the time.

July 15, 2013, or a few days before that. Always assume that there's going to be no new info between issues of CoroCoro; you'll be right the majority of the time.
this time around, there's a good chance of us getting -some- information on theeee 11th, I believe?
It's when the mewtwo special airs. Ideally we get to find out anything about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)