OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Aerial Ace, bro. You won't get a full power Acrobatics with an item (Flying Gem Scizor is a BAD gimmick), so just run Aerial Ace instead.

Anyways, how do you guys EV Ferrothorn? The old spread, 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Sp Def is really old, and since avoiding +1 Haxorus EQ isn't relevant anymore, given that Haxorus has Superpower now and is horribly outclassed at DD sets, what are some good defensive benchmarks for Ferro?
Honestly i have always run 252/128/128 careful. 330 on both defenses is just good enough to take the hits youre supposed to. Here are some calcs to show:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 128+ SpD Ferrothorn in rain: 135-159 (38.35 - 45.17%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Ferrothorn: 131-155 (37.21 - 44.03%) -- 99.98% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 128+ SpD Ferrothorn: 123-144 (34.94 - 40.9%) -- 65.23% chance to 3HKO
It also has enough bulk to survive scarf terrakion close combat, specs keldeo secret sword etc.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Aerial Ace, bro. You won't get a full power Acrobatics with an item (Flying Gem Scizor is a BAD gimmick), so just run Aerial Ace instead.

Anyways, how do you guys EV Ferrothorn? The old spread, 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Sp Def is really old, and since avoiding +1 Haxorus EQ isn't relevant anymore, given that Haxorus has Superpower now and is horribly outclassed at DD sets, what are some good defensive benchmarks for Ferro?
Acrobatics scizor is a now recognized good gimmick.

Kills things like tentacruel at +2

Acrobatics scizor is a now recognized good gimmick.

Kills things like tentacruel at +2
What are you using on your Scizor, though? Life Orb? Lefties? Then you would be better off with Aerial Ace for the (slight) power boost. I'm not saying that Flying STAB is awful on Scizor, I'm saying that Aerial Ace is better than Acrobatics because Scizor would like to use an item.

If you're running some Flying Gem + Acrobatics set on Scizor, that's not a good set because you lose your item for a single use power boost.

My definition of a gimmick is something that overcomes a flaw that a Pokemon has, but in turn makes the Pokemon a lot less useful. Imo Shurtugal's examples aren't gimmicks, they're viable sets in their own right, as Lando-T is effective with a Scarf or a boosting set, and doesn't aim to do the same things as the pivot set, making all of these sets viable at what they do. Something like HP Ice Terrakion, though, is a gimmick because while Terrakion could pump itself with Sp. Attack EVs to KO Gliscor and Lando-T, it needs to take those EVs from elsewhere, either by making it slower (very bad) or making it weaker from the physical side (also very bad).

Hope that clarifies a bit.

that's not a good set because you lose your item for a single use power boost
Acrobatics doubles in power if the user has lost their item, so actually it's more powerful than Aerial Ace both times I believe (I don't know the difference between the LO boosts and a Gem boost, I thought LO was 10% and Gems 30%) so it's technically better. It's not an uncommon strategy either, I know people have done this with things like Gliscor before granted Gliscor has Flying STAB

Pocket EDIT: LO is 30% boost; Gems are 50% boosts

BurningMan

fueled by beer
What are you using on your Scizor, though? Life Orb? Lefties? Then you would be better off with Aerial Ace for the (slight) power boost. I'm not saying that Flying STAB is awful on Scizor, I'm saying that Aerial Ace is better than Acrobatics because Scizor would like to use an item.

If you're running some Flying Gem + Acrobatics set on Scizor, that's not a good set because you lose your item for a single use power boost.

My definition of a gimmick is something that overcomes a flaw that a Pokemon has, but in turn makes the Pokemon a lot less useful. Imo Shurtugal's examples aren't gimmicks, they're viable sets in their own right, as Lando-T is effective with a Scarf or a boosting set, and doesn't aim to do the same things as the pivot set, making all of these sets viable at what they do. Something like HP Ice Terrakion, though, is a gimmick because while Terrakion could pump itself with Sp. Attack EVs to KO Gliscor and Lando-T, it needs to take those EVs from elsewhere, either by making it slower (very bad) or making it weaker from the physical side (also very bad).

Hope that clarifies a bit.
Flying Gem Scizor is a very viable set beacause it allows you to over come your normal counters while not losing too much power. You KO things like Tentacruel and Jellicent wich are otherwise hard counters and if your opponent has no other Scizor checks it can be very well gg. It also allows you to punch a hole for another sweeper like Keldeo.
IMO Flying Gem Acrobatics Scizor is in the same league as EB HP Bug Keldeo it is something that works not only because of its suprise factor.
Losing your item isn't such a big deal because you don't lose many KOs anyway and you don't have to deal with the LO recoil.

Huh, I guess I stand corrected. Forgive me, I have never even heard of someone running Flying Gem + Acrobatics before. I'm not sure I like it too much, but I guess that's besides the point. Sorry!

SubCM Jirachi really isn't a fan of Ground-type Pokemon. Landorus-T and Hippowdon are the two biggest counters that come to mind since even a Water Pulse won't do much damage and they can retaliate with a STAB EQ. Thundurus-T can absorb Thunder and nail you with its own. SpDef Heatran, Ninetales, and other Fire-types (mainly found on Sun teams) all can beat you with their STABs.

Honestly i have always run 252/128/128 careful. 330 on both defenses is just good enough to take the hits youre supposed to. Here are some calcs to show:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 128+ SpD Ferrothorn in rain: 135-159 (38.35 - 45.17%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Ferrothorn: 131-155 (37.21 - 44.03%) -- 99.98% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 128+ SpD Ferrothorn: 123-144 (34.94 - 40.9%) -- 65.23% chance to 3HKO
It also has enough bulk to survive scarf terrakion close combat, specs keldeo secret sword etc.
Wouldn't all of them be guaranteed 3hko's?

I have cb tyranitar, scarf keldeo, rp lando-i, np baton pass celebi, and explosion lead mew. Who would be the best choice for the last slot?

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nope, not at all -- they're completely different Pokemon. Dragonite, or so I've found, has become much easier to deal with. It's difficult to remove Stealth Rock in a metagame where Jellicent is so prevalent. Salamence has access to a very strong Fire Blast as opposed Dragonite's pitiful Fire Punch. It is also much faster before and after a boost, outrunning the key 81-98 range. Dragonite requires spin support and rain or sun to be effective right now.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Adding to what Jukain said, Salamence usually runs a Scarf set in OU so you can bluff a Scarf easily by bringing it in on say a Non Scarf Garchomp and setting up a Dragon Dance on their switch out and likely pulling off a sweep if his checks are removed. This is also another advantage DD Salamence has over Dragonite.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Would this be an acceptable battle to make an OU Warstory out of? I'm thinking about doing it but I don't think I would do a good job presenting it.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent-36036822
not really there were a lot of misplays and you pretty much only won because you haxed you opponent at the end with the Fire Blast crit and Focus Blast miss.

i don't want to sound rude or be mean, but in my eyes this isn't really War Story worthy. A good battle isn't a neccessary a close one, but one were both opponents make good plays and there isn't much hax.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
If a focus sash is broken, if the Pokemon gets back up to 100% health again, is it still activated, or is it gone for good?
Well if your sash is "broken" for example by switching into SR or getting hit by an attack that takes away less than 100% of your health and you get back to 100% it is still active however if your Focus Sash activates and saves you from being KO'd it will be gone even if you get back to 100%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)