Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a vision, there.
"Champion Mom would like to battle!"
Make it happen, Game Freak.
that'd be great - if they were important to the plot/were seen enough for it to matter. the last "OMG NO WAY" thing i had with a champion was blue. wallace and lance were "oh okay" but they weren't interwoven with the plot enough for me to really be surprised/care. alder was told to you specifically and i accidentally spoiled iris - not that i really cared about her anyway though.
[if red counts as a champion, though, when i saw him on the mountain i was like
'hang on... is that... OMG IT IS YESSSSSSSSSSSSS']

Also, can someone tell me what this is from. Because I worry that Sableye focus is a sign of the End Times. By which I mean a Sableye evo.
i'm guessing it's just something from pokemon smash for more pokemon-amie banter, but...
sableye evo hnnng <3

I just had a vision, there.
"Champion Mom would like to battle!"
Make it happen, Game Freak.

Also, can someone tell me what this is from. Because I worry that Sableye focus is a sign of the End Times. By which I mean a Sableye evo.
Pokemon Smash
After the primary Pokemonamie footage with Pikachu they showed off some of the other footage. Dunsparce & Sableye were the most notable since they hadn't been shown before, but no big focus was given in the show proper

You know how in-battle, leaders and some others will say something?

Imagine how that would look in XY.

Hopefully, like Colosseum and XD.

You know how in-battle, leaders and some others will say something?

Imagine how that would look in XY.

Hopefully, like Colosseum and XD.
like, their mouths moving/speech bubbles? or as in what they actually say?

Speaking of petting Ghost-types, is there a way to actually touch a Gastly, or a Dusknoir?
step one: move arm to pokemon's general area.
step two: touch with hand.
step three: profit!

Speaking of petting Ghost-types, is there a way to actually touch a Gastly, or a Dusknoir?
I feel like that's less of a problem than petting your Slugma or Regice.
"REGICE cloaks itself with frigid air of negative 328 degrees F. Things will freeze solid just by going near this POKéMON."

I assume the pokemon is capable of controlling it's temperature, thus explaining how you can pet these pokemon. If Magcargo couldnt control it's heat, the world would be burned by now.

The ghosts are probably capable of solidifying themselves if needed.

I feel like that's less of a problem than petting your Slugma or Regice.
"REGICE cloaks itself with frigid air of negative 328 degrees F. Things will freeze solid just by going near this POKéMON."

I don't want to pet those...

Lets all pet my Meganium, Alejandro, instead.

I would not want to pet Wailord at the fear of being crushed. How are they going to fit its body on a 3DS screen?

Given that they figured out a fun way to show you how big Snorlax is compared to other Pokémon, I don't think they're going to make a big deal out of Wailord's ACTUAL size. It's not like they made an attempt in XD, anyway. They may play with camera angles so you're not just staring at its face/jaw the entire time you're petting it.

I assume the pokemon is capable of controlling it's temperature, thus explaining how you can pet these pokemon. If Magcargo couldnt control it's heat, the world would be burned by now.

The ghosts are probably capable of solidifying themselves if needed.
season 1, episode 33. But we can all pretend that we're trying to rub Sharpedo the right way when we pet it. They say it can trigger its ability, so its skin wouldn't hurt to rub up against when it isn't in the heat of battle.

(1/15/13)

I've heard two main theories flying around about the origin/idea for Xerneas and Yveltal.

The first one is that they represent a geometrical dimension (or axis). Xerneas is said to represent the X axis because it lives on the ground and basically owns the dimension of length/width. Yveltal is said to represent the Y axis because its domain is the sky and rules the dimension of height. If there were to be a Pokemon Z, it is said that it would have the formation of a "Z" and rule underwater or underground to represent the dimension of depth.

The second theory I've heard about mainly involves the origin of Xerneas and Yveltal in Norse Mythology, in particular, the tree of life (Yggdrasil). Xerneas was apparently based on the four stags named Dainn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Durapror that graze among the branches of Yggdrasil at the bottom. These four stags each have a color/element corresponding to each of them, as seen in the antlers of Xerneas. Yveltal is believed to originate from the unnamed eagle who lives on top of Yggdrasil.

I have looked into both of these thoroughly, and have synthesized a third theory involving both of these, seeing as one deals with in-game storyline and the other deals with origin of the Pokemon itself. In this theory, I have kept all the details previously explained to you and added on to them. I believe that if there was a Pokemon Z, it would represent the Z axis for depth and be based on a third inhabitant of Yggdrasil, Nidhoggr. This is a serpent that lives trapped underneath Yggdrasil itself, gnawing on the roots that keep it imprisoned in the ground. Seeing as it is a serpent, it could easily form a "Z" shape with its body as Xerneas and Yveltal have done. And, believe it or not, there is a final fourth inhabitant of Yggdrasil. This creature is a small squirrel named Ratatoskr (and no, Ratata is not based off of it) who carries messages from the eagle at the top down to Niohoggr underneath. Ratatoskr might be some kind of fairy/pixie/whatever who's importance might be similar to that of Celebi or Shaymin.
(EDIT: I wrote this long before there was any word of even Sylveon, let alone fairy type. I TOTALLY CALLED THAT!!!)

I finally found the official X & Y page! Anyway, after looking at (Mewthree?)'s description, I would also like to think that perhaps they incorperated the chromosome theory in as well.

@R_N

I was more interested in that the official site said that we've "already met the first Fairy-type" poke Sylveon. I'm still trying to make heads or tails whether this means that Xerneas/Yveltal aren't part Fairy, or simply the first Fairy type confirmed (by a mere few seconds).

I finally found the official X & Y page! Anyway, after looking at (Mewthree?)'s description, I would also like to think that perhaps they incorperated the chromosome theory in as well.
No it is not about the three dimensions it is about chromosomes, if there is a Z it will be because some species have Z chromosomes. I will never get this assumption, as soon as I heard about X and Y I thought about chromosomes.

No it is not about the three dimensions it is about chromosomes, if there is a Z it will be because some species have Z chromosomes. I will never get this assumption, as soon as I heard about X and Y I thought about chromosomes.

It wouldn't be the first time that legendary Pokémon have had multiple points of inspiration present in their designs used to help indicate the theme of the generation. On a similar note, the names of the player characters contrast quite nicely with Hilbert and Hilda from BW. Their names had to do with war/fighting, and as such the origin of the Unova region involved a war (and I guess there were some modern differences of opinion that started some fighting). Calem and Serena are both derived from "calm", so perhaps the Kalos region is a settled orderly enlightened place?

I actually hope that you can see the trainer in battles.
Because untill now they always dissapeared during a battle which doesn't really makes sence because they have to give the pokemon orders.
I actually hope that pokemon would move more out of their circle in battles.

It wouldn't be the first time that legendary Pokémon have had multiple points of inspiration present in their designs used to help indicate the theme of the generation.
Actually, it's not ONLY that. X&Y are the first international releases, so that means that the title being "internationally recognisable" is simply a better marketing... thing (what's the word I'm looking for?) For example, "red" is not internationally recognisable as a word. X&Y, well, are.

Actually, it's not ONLY that. X&Y are the first international releases, so that means that the title being "internationally recognisable" is simply a better marketing... thing (what's the word I'm looking for?) For example, "red" is not internationally recognisable as a word. X&Y, well, are.
Yes that too but that is not behind the theme is what I am getting at.

A better marketing promotion decision? Or maybe a smarter product choice? More or less, yeah. There are a lot of places that learn English as a second language, so if they were thinking about how cognizant people are of the title for each game, then they never used anything too obscure to begin with. I would agree that, no matter where you are, "X" as a character is easy to point out and means something, probably a little more than colors or jewel tones stand out in people's heads.

EDIT-it was smart of you to bring that up, but what we're talking about is the manner in which "X" and "Y" are being used, not their application.

EDIT-it was smart of you

what we're talking about is the manner in which "X" and "Y" are being used, not their application.
Well, I like to think of it as another "pun". It has definitely got to do with chromosomes (double helixes on the japanese logo) but them being the first 3D games AND being named after the most common letters for axes/dimensions/ w/e is too much of a coincidence to write off.

well... no. that's... not... true.

you see, the colour red isn't exactly an abstract concept to non english speakers. it's the colour of sunset, of blood, of a ripe tomato, of my hair, of a fresh strawberry, of many things. it's not like they call it 'red' in those languages [rouge, rojo, aka, etc], but they definitely know what it is. not all places, however, use the roman alphabet [china, india, russia {though russia, i believe, uses a modified one}] - and 'ex' and 'wye' are not the universal name for these characters [the only one i know personally is french, where they are called 'eex' and 'egrek,' respectively]

so, i wouldn't say that it's because they're easy to recognize, per-se. 'wii' is given that justification because it's not a real word, really - [it's a pun on the english word, but i'll be damned if you find 'wii' in the dictionary] and it's easy for pretty much everyone to pronounce [which is a big issue many times]... so, yeah. just thought i'd address that.

I have decided something. The thing I really want to see the most is a Poison-type legendary pokemon. It is the only type not represented by a legendary, and I feel that is absurd.

A Dark/Poison with Levitate would be amazing. Perhaps the serpent living under Yggdrasil (if it were to be a pokemon) could be part Poison (maybe with a new ability making it immune to Ground attacks).

@R_N

I was more interested in that the official site said that we've "already met the first Fairy-type" poke Sylveon. I'm still trying to make heads or tails whether this means that Xerneas/Yveltal aren't part Fairy, or simply the first Fairy type confirmed (by a mere few seconds).
I think it just means Slyveon is the first unveiled and marketed. It'd be weird to refer to it in any other way.

Really, Xerneas & Yyveltal are just kind of...there, at this point. Hopefully July gives us their type and purposes and such.

Yeah if they wanted to give you the feeling of first person it is ok.
I like the idea of actually feeling as if you are the character and not that you like only control him/her.

95 HP on Sylveon would leave those nice 130 / 110 stats elsewhere, so that's nice. I'm thinking it might end up rocking 130 Def and 110 SpA. Other spreads would end up too similar to Jolteon, Espeon, or Vaporeon.

One thing I'm hoping XY gives us is easy access to baby pokemon. The trend has already started with Diamond and Pearl and it's nice being able to get rarer pokemon a bit earlier on. Riolu, Elekid, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)