Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it just means Slyveon is the first unveiled and marketed. It'd be weird to refer to it in any other way.

Really, Xerneas & Yyveltal are just kind of...there, at this point. Hopefully July gives us their type and purposes and such.
At this point.... I'd have to agree with you. As you've pointed out earlier they should AT LEAST give us the name for Mewtwo's new form on the 11th, it has been long overdue.

One thing I'm hoping XY gives us is easy access to baby pokemon. The trend has already started with Diamond and Pearl and it's nice being able to get rarer pokemon a bit earlier on. Riolu, Elekid, etc.
I hope the fishing rods come back - I liked having a Water-type early in the game. Additionally, I do hope they choose to expand the Pokemon catchable with the Old Rod - some Pokemon I've never had encouragement to use, even when I actually want to, like Goldeen and Finneon.

breh

強いだね
I have decided something. The thing I really want to see the most is a Poison-type legendary pokemon. It is the only type not represented by a legendary, and I feel that is absurd.

A Dark/Poison with Levitate would be amazing. Perhaps the serpent living under Yggdrasil (if it were to be a pokemon) could be part Poison (maybe with a new ability making it immune to Ground attacks).
Dark / Poison is actually really bad as far as types go; by itself, Poison is not a bad type if paired with the right kind of moves (for example, Fire Blast, Ice Beam, and Thunder/bolt as well as Recover), but Dark/Poison trades the great Fighting / Bug resists of Poison for a really mediocre STAB, Dark resist (mostly irrelevant), and the ability to take Mewtwo on a bit more confidently. That's not much, frankly.

@Above: You should never want to use Finneon / Lumineon. Not even once.

Just a heads up, Pokemon Smash just ended. They "revealed" Talonflame (and showed it Brave Birding an Amoonguss), Noivern (Boomburst, Gliscor) and promised to "reveal" Sky Battles (Swellow) and Hordes (Helioptile vs 5 Zubats, aparrently Parabolic Charge hit them all) next week.

yay

edit: They also showed a bit from the Eevee short. Nothing interesting.

Smash just finished up and, as you might have guessed, nothing really new was shown (Talonflame using Brave Bird on Amoongus, Noivern using Boomburst (I think) on Gliscor)

The preview for next week's segment was interesting though. Showing off Horde & Sky battles but with new clips:
-Helioptile using Parabolic Charge on ZUBATS. So our worst fears come to life.
-Swellow vs Ledian in the sky. I think they're going to show off the dynamic camera here, since Swellow/Ledian launched no attacks

Now usually in various demonstration clips, you can't really look at the Pokemon used to get a hint at what will be in (same demonstration area, flat levels, etc), but both of these looked like in game clips and while I think we could have figured Zubat was back, I think the Sky Battle clip implies that Ledian (who was level 32) and Swellow (who was around the same level) might be in the Kalos dex.

Just a heads up, Pokemon Smash just ended. They "revealed" Talonflame (and showed it Brave Birding an Amoonguss), Noivern (Boomburst, Gliscor) and promised to "reveal" Sky Battles (Swellow) and Hordes (Helioptile vs 5 Zubats, aparrently Parabolic Charge hit them all) next week.
Parabolic Charge hitting more than one Pokemon is pretty neat actually. Hopefully it doesn't hit your partner in doubles as well so a DisQuake combo will actually be viable again.

Parabolic Charge hitting more than one Pokemon is pretty neat actually. Hopefully it doesn't hit your partner in doubles as well so a DisQuake combo will actually be viable again.
We knew Parabolic Charge was a hit all ability for a while, since the Japanese site updated with last month's corocoro

I want to say it implied it could hit your partner, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

-Helioptile using Parabolic Charge on ZUBATS. So our worst fears come to life.
What do you mean "worst fear"? This means we really can have Crobatman and Fletchling Boy Wonder on the same team by catching them!

Now usually in various demonstration clips, you can't really look at the Pokemon used to get a hint at what will be in (same demonstration area, flat levels, etc), but both of these looked like in game clips and while I think we could have figured Zubat was back, I think the Sky Battle clip implies that Ledian (who was level 32) and Swellow (who was around the same level) might be in the Kalos dex.
I'm curious about their choices for filler Pokémon. While there are already roughly 580 different species (not counting any gen VI Pokémon, present legendaries or starters and their evolutions), we know that certain Pokémon are there because they're being retyped as Fairy Pokémon. I understand that, even in DPPt, Psyduck was just kind of there to be another Water Pokémon for the sake of mild diversity among the wildlife, but why Ledian and Swellow(assuming that it's true)? It just makes me think that it'll be really hard to track down certain Pokémon if they have too many dex entries.

After smash ended, people over at Pokejungle feel it's been confirmed that Talonflame is actually Not the final stage of Fletchling & is actually the 2nd stage.
However, it's been two generations since the generation's bird only evolved once.

1st gen-Pidgey has 2 stages of evolution
2nd gen-Hoothoot has 1 stage of evolution
3rd gen-Tailow has 1 stage of evolution
4th gen-Starly has 2 stages of evolution
5th gen-Pidove has 2 stages of evolution

Since the gen's bird hasen't had 1 stage of evolution since gen 3, I wouldn't be surprised if Flechling only evolves once.

After smash ended, people over at Pokejungle feel it's been confirmed that Talonflame is actually Not the final stage of Fletchling & is actually the 2nd stage.
However, it's been two generations since the generation's bird only evolved once.

1st gen-Pidgey has 2 stages of evolution
2nd gen-Hoothoot has 1 stage of evolution
3rd gen-Tailow has 1 stage of evolution
4th gen-Starly has 2 stages of evolution
5th gen-Pidove has 2 stages of evolution

Since the gen's bird hasen't had 1 stage of evolution since gen 3, I wouldn't be surprised if Flechling only evolves once.
I'm gonna bring up an old favorite

Not only am I sure that this image is meant to be a representation of where the first couple of Pokemon you will meet fall in the first 20 entries to the Pokedex, but I'm a little convinced that the two empty spaces after Fletchling are the slots for its two evolutions, and I'm still convinced that the Pokemon after those two spaces is Spearow...or maybe it's Taillow. Pidgey? Eh.

I have decided something. The thing I really want to see the most is a Poison-type legendary pokemon. It is the only type not represented by a legendary, and I feel that is absurd.

A Dark/Poison with Levitate would be amazing. Perhaps the serpent living under Yggdrasil (if it were to be a pokemon) could be part Poison (maybe with a new ability making it immune to Ground attacks).
You're thinking of Levitate, bro. But I could see a flavor ability for the Pokemon with an identical effect (kinda like Battle Armor and Shell Armor, or Insomnia and Vital Spirit).

And I also think we could really use a Poison-legendary, that stays Poison (ie: not Poison Arceus).

I don't think it hits more than one Pokemon all the time. I think that would only apply in Hordes.

I don't think it hits more than one Pokemon all the time. I think that would only apply in Hordes.
:I
It doesn't makes sense that a technique would only hit multiple opponents in a very specific type of multi-battle. Rock Slide hits all nearby opponents, and it was shown hitting every enemy in the horde battle when Gogoat used it, so I think it's safe to assume that ParaCharge also hits all adjacent enemies, and the range for techniques that hit more than one opponent are simply widened for the sake of horde battles.

EDIT-On another note, the english names for the cities seem to involve plants that can be used for cooking, and the French names seem like they will be largely based around art styles/movements.

:I
On another note, the english names for the cities seem to involve plants that can be used for cooking, and the French names seem like they will be largely based around art styles/movements.
Or scented candles--*shot*

There's only three cities to work off of, Vaniville, Santalune, and Lumiose.
Vaniville is obviously from vanilla. Santalune is a little more difficult, but Santalum is the genus for Indian sandalwood. It seems kinda contrived, but the name comes from the same plant in other languages as well (specifically Japanese). And finally, Lumiose is the center, most important city, based on "luminous", having to do with light.

Of course, they could just be themed after aromatics in general with Lumiose kinda just being the odd one out.

In Spanish they seem to be called after art. "Pueblo Boceto" means "Sketch Town", "Ciudad Novarte" is a made up word, but it would be something like "Newart City" "Luminalia" is pretty much the same as in English. Kalos does seem to be named after beauty in Greek.

Yes, Lumiose City has been given the Castelia treatment, where its name has little conection to the other town names, or at least a very distant connection. What's most interesting about Lumiose City is the Japanese name, Miare, which comes from a phrase that means "advent of a deity". Lumiose was certainly made with a Renaissance/Enlightenment feel in mind, right down to its title(s)

i was also going to ask what people would think if they only released ~50 new pokemon earlier, though i forgot. personally, i'd be okay with it. we already have a great selection of pokemon as-is.

Apparently Future Shop posted this in their Pokemon X description.
Probably their speculation, but interesting anyways.
Considering everything else about that description, it doesn't sound like they know anything.
It's so generic and "likely integration of 3ds spotpass feature" is just...

50 is low. I'm going to guess that it's just them making things up.
i was also going to ask what people would think if they only released ~50 new pokemon earlier, though i forgot. personally, i'd be okay with it. we already have a great selection of pokemon as-is.
Considering everything else about that description, it doesn't sound like they know anything.
It's so generic and "likely integration of 3ds spotpass feature" is just...
Oh it's almost undoubtedly their guess. But it brings up a good topic: how many new Pokemon would you like to see? Why?

Oh it's almost undoubtedly their guess. But it brings up a good topic: how many new Pokemon would you like to see? Why?
For this generation, I have hopes for a lot of new evolutions, in addition to the entirely new Pokemon, so I'm hoping for roughly 120 new Pokemon; enough for around 20 Pokemon related to old ones, and 100 completely novel additions.

EDIT: Also hopefully fewer legendaries. I mean, one trio, a pixie, MAYBE a duo and/or a standalone event legendary is more than enough. No need for a quartet, two trios, a pixie, AND two other events. I understand that legendaries can be great additions when incorporated well into the story, but not all important Pokemon have to be legendaries. In the traditional early-game forest, for example, where many legendaries can be found post-game as guardians, why do the legends have to be the protectors? Why not, say, a powerful Venasaur or something? Or a head Honchkrow and his pack of Murkrow goonies (which would fit horde battles by the way). Not only would it be a refreshing change for the story, but it could help develop the enviroment and characteristics of the Pokemon--The Pokedex says Cacturne stalk travellers in the desert in packs; instead of the evil villain team dogging you in some part of their strange scheme, why not have a local swarm (right word?) of Cacturne? There are countless possibilities, without the need for extra legends or obnoxious evil shenanigans.

Wasn't it already confirmed that there were going to be more than a hundred new 'mons? I remember it being mentioned elsewhere but I'll probably have to look through a bunch of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 16)