The Next Best Thing v2 - Latios

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Voting is now closed and the winner is Kidogo's King's Rock set. This set will be added in the v2 archive featured in the second post of the thread. Kidogo joins Lavos and I as a multiple "winner" of the this fine project. Though it should be said I now plan on being a little more discriminating on the sets that are submitted. Not much more though :)

The next subject is the Frosted Tree Pokémon, Abomasnow!

The UU Weather setter! But he finds plenty of time to shine in OU.

Voting will take place in 4 days!

Voting is now closed and the winner is Kidogo's King's Rock set. This set will be added in the v2 archive featured in the second post of the thread.

The next subject is the Frosted Tree Pokémon, Cloyster!

Voting will take place in 4 days!
this is not cloyster

Abomasnow @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 176 Spd / 252 Atk / 80 SAtk
Lonely Nature
- Blizzard
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer / Giga Drain
- Growth

EVs are for outspeeding most non-speed Heatrans/Tyranitars. Instead of wood hammer, giga drain is a solid option and less suicidal, working well with life orb's recoil. Because Abomasnow is slow, frail and weak to stealth rock you will typically not be swapping it in much, meaning Life Orb will generally be preferred. Blizzard and wood hammer have surprisingly good coverage and wallbreaking capability which is further enhanced by the dual-boosting growth.

Lavos

Banned deucer.

not your friend (Abomasnow) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Blizzard

subseed abomasnow doesnt look like much at first sight but it works. with all the heavy special offense running around nowadays plus the prevalence of stuff like politoed, it's pretty easy to get up a sub and start the havoc. from there, leech seed and stall everything out with sub + protect. it's a really basic concept that i'm having trouble explaining but if you've ever used this set or faced it you know how obnoxious and flat out hard to kill it can be. oh yeah, and stab blizzard is remarkably strong seeing as i don't invest any evs in spatk. and it lives sheer force landorus focus blast :toast:

i dunno if theres any other good abomasnow sets other than the ones listed on site (lolgrowth!) so you better vote for me

Damn you Lavos, I was gonna post that set !

Abomasnow @ Choice scarf
EVs: 8 Atk ( HP if timid ) / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty / Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer / Giga Drain
- Focus Blast / Earthquake
- Hidden power Fire

With a Rapid spinn support, Abomasnow can be a surprisingly good Revenge killer, by reaching ~357 speed, you can revenge kill (non-scarf versions of course) : Garchomp, Keldeo, Gengar, Latios ( not sure if it kills latias ), Tornadus, Venusaur with hail, Landorus+0, Landorus-T, Gliscor...even tho pokemons like Garchomp and Tornadus takes a lot of damage from the standard ice shard, it's sometimes not enough and Abomasnow can die badly, the speed boost granted from the choice can grab some surprise-kill that are always fun. Focus blast is for Heatran / Tyranitar, Hp fire is for Scizor / Ferrothorn / an other abomasnow on the switch.
Giga drain can be used as a stabb over Wood Hammer, but you won't do as much damage to thing like Keldeo and Rotom-w...Abomasnow lacks Leaf storm, that's really sad. Earthquake does less damage to Tyranitar, but more to Heatran and Jirachi.
Be careful, that set can be effective but with good prediction, with stealth rock, Bullet / Mach punches and the recoil from Wood hammer, he can die really quickly.

Abomasnow (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain

To be honest, I have never used this set, but I know it is very effective on hail stall teams, I found it on Delko's old hail stall RMT, when I suggest it to people running hail stall, they seem to find it effective. Its apparently very effective at stopping some stall breakers, while adding a touch of offense.

Again, this set is not mine, so in voting can this be Delko's set.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
why the speed and spatk instead of running useful stats...at max you hit 240 which isnt outspeeding many relevant threats that you can actually do anything against, and abomasnow's offensive stats are mediocre at best. the sustain on this set really isnt up to par w/subseed, and im not attacking you or w/e just saying the set itself is pretty bad. delko got it to work a niche role on his hail team, but thats been outdated for over a year and i dont see what viable niche this guy is gonna fill in the current metagame.

scarf is cool, again i wish it was a little faster so it didnt still get owned by scarftar but otherwise a decent set with surprise value to boot. i think eternal once used it on some dragspam team to moderate success.

Abomasnow @ Leftovers
Adamant, 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
- Ice Shard
- Focus Punch
- Wood Hammer
- Protect
This is the Abomasnow set I use on virtually all my Hail teams, because it simply works flat out better than anything else. Ice Shard should be on every Abomasnow set, it's the biggest reason to use it besides setting up Hail, and revenges a huge number of key threats. Focus Punch is for wallbreaking. Nearly everything that likes to switch into Aboma takes a hefty amount of damage from Focus Punch. Prediction really isn't an issue - Aboma's typing and powerful STAB's force switches so easily that I've virtually never mis-predicted and lost focus. Wood Hammer is pure power and demolishes bulky Waters, basically. Between it and Focus Punch, you demolish practically every defensive component to common Rain builds, and Ice Shard takes out the common offensive members like the genies, Lati@s and Dragonite. Finally, Protect. Protect looks odd without Leech Seed, but it's invaluable for stalling for Hail and status damage, and handling Choiced mons. Max attack is obvious for getting the most out of your attacks (especially Ice Shard), 16 Spe is used to be able to outspeed and OHKO most support Tar, and the rest goes into HP to provide surprisingly solid bulk. Leftovers gives more survivability and works well in conjunction with Protect.

I'm digging that last post. I mostly agree on stab ice shard being a great asset that shouldn't be over looked. Even leading with it against the ever common weather trapper Dugtrio is easily overcome by simply protecting and letting hail break a sash (if any) then IS. Good lookin set, maybe with Earthquake slashed with Focus Punch but honestly hitting a switchin Ttar /any rock/any steel with FP sounds better than EQ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)