Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, C&C edition

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Contrary definitely is released, so that set isn't illegal. If you'd like to propose that set, please review the formatting guide and be sure to follow ALL standards. I haven't played enough NU to know if that set is viable (it looks usable), so go propose it in the NU analysis subforum. That set looks rather annoying to face, though it's going to have issues with a lot of the NU tier, as it is very offensive. In any case, good luck!

Ah, thank-you! I did not know there was a place to propose single Pokémon. I have never used it yet though so would that be a problem when proposing it?

Cheers!

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
no, you leave it in quality control until it has gotten its final qc check. just bump your thread when it's ready to go.

I did a GP Check and put it into diff located here:

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72762463/diffnew.html

A bit of context. When checking this, I didn't change the first paragraph at all.

When I pressed diff with an edit cost of three and timeout of one, it gave me this, substituting abstract sentences in brackets for their actual visual representations:

<First paragraph of the original/new, in black text>

<Remainder of the original, in red crossed-out text>

<Remainder of the new, in green text>

Having done a GP check before, I know this isn't what's supposed to happen. I also tested some simpler examples (typing asdf a bunch in the original and changing some in the new) and confirmed that the program isn't completely defunct.

I'm not sure why this happened with my check, and wondered if anyone might know. If I haven't provided enough information here to answer the question, I'll happily send a PM to anyone willing to look at it and tell me what I'm doing incorrectly.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't use the diff app that often, but from what I rememeber that's one of the things that makes it a bit buggy. It will sometimes decide to remove sentences and add them right back in. I'd have to see the actual texts to totally know what's going on, but it just seems to be a glitch in the diff app from what I'm hearing.

Jukain

!_!
Actually, I tried that last night and all it did was my make my browser freeze up.
split bigger pieces into parts; if there's too much text and too many changes, the browser can't process them all. if you're not using chrome (or firefox idk), use it.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually, I tried that last night and all it did was my make my browser freeze up.
That's supposed to happen. You can read more about it in this post. I suggest using Chrome for this. Since the diff app is rather resource intensive, it's good if you're not running too many applications on your computer. The browser will cease to freeze once the diff app has completed diffing the whole thing. It could take like 30s-1min for longer analyses~

Is beat up good

Is beat up a good move. I've tested it in the battle subway and it seems to work very well, but would it be practical in competitive matches?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
no not generally, since for its full potential to be used, it requires that none of your party members be fainted or statused, leaving it outpowered by stuff like Night Slash or Crunch in most situations (and most of the time anyway even if you have all 6 Pokemon attack, since it takes into account each of your party member's individual Attack stat, which is usually an awful stat for at least 2 of your team's Pokemon)

blitzlefan

shake it off!
I'd like to get more involved with Smogon, and learn how to do GP checks. Where should I start? Can anybody direct me to the threads that I need to look at? Thank you.

Edit: Thank you! :)

blitzlefan

shake it off!
What is the best format for a GP check? I've seen a lot of different formats, so what's the most convenient for analysis writers?

Also, when do you use "ing", and when do you use "s"?
For example, take this sentence: "Toxic goes hand in hand with Protect, allowing Heatran to outstall its enemy."

Should it be "allowing" or "which allows"?

I've seen them both used in the same sentence in different analyses. Is that okay, or should I make them match in order to maintain some sort of consistency? Should this be consistent throughout the analysis, or is it unimportant?

Jukain

!_!
err that's actually not set in stone

I generally go on sight for those, like if it were to say:

x does x, allowing x to do x, preventing x.

I'd restructure the last one to "which prevents".

Honestly it doesn't matter all that much. There's probably a technical rule, but we don't follow it. You want the "-ing" ending it most cases -- just the above structure is taboo.

Hope this helped !_!

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
The best format (I think) is to put your check in
tags, so it looks cleaner and doesn't make the page really long. A C/P version is nice to include for the more lazy people :P this is really handy for including C/P.

a fairy

I’ll be at PAX East! Will you?
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
An update is something generally minor, but not small enough to warrant slipping it under the radar - updating something somewhat affected by a ban, but not incredibly.

A revamp is for complete revisions - Politoed's analysis after the Drizzle + Swift Swim ban, for example.

Quick question:

In a double battle, if Slaking and Cofagrigus are out together and Slaking uses earthquake which hits everyone on the field, does his ability become Mummy? Does Mummy activate with spread moves like that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)