Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Least intelligent post I've seen. And I believe it's against the rules.
Come now, it isn't against the rules (or even worth chastising/being rude to anybody's intelligence over) to slip up on grammar and spelling, especially since that same post isn't expressing any sense of negativity at all.

Anyhow, on Honedge's typing, that same already as good as it is competitively, so any decent ability that isn't blatantly bad (read: Truant) can make do in combination with it. If it gets Cursed Body (which in itself is sorta good/bad because it diables non-Rapid Spin moves, but requires Honedge to be hit), then so be it. What I'm concerned about is its stat distribution, as well as that of possible evolutionary family members. After all, we've learned to distinguish bad Water-types from the good.

What I'm most excited about is fairy gardevoir. I've owned my gardevoir since sapphire. It's one of those mons that can work perfectly well in ou. Can't wait too see the full type chart. Did they mention yet if it is psychic/fairy or just fairy?
Psychic / Fairy is confirmed

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What I'm most excited about is fairy gardevoir. I've owned my gardevoir since sapphire. It's one of those mons that can work perfectly well in ou. Can't wait too see the full type chart. Did they mention yet if it is psychic/fairy or just fairy?
Adding on to Gerard's words, I can't see them retconning Gardevoir's Psychic-typing. They've pretty much already established that Gardevoir is canonically Psychic-type (it can't suddenly turn pure Fairy-type and leave Liza's PWT team), and Gallade's Psychic/Fighting typing would be a hard thing to explain too.

I just want that Sword Honedge to evolve into a bulky attacker. And make him NOT just a BIGER sword! I hope Honedge's hand evolves into a ghost Knight..... OMG like Nero's Devil Trigger from Devil May Cry 4 LOL.

I just want that Sword Honedge to evolve into a bulky attacker. And make him NOT just a BIGER sword! I hope Honedge's hand evolves into a ghost Knight..... OMG like Nero's Devil Trigger from Devil May Cry 4 LOL.
He'll evolve into Ichigo and he'll activate Bankai for his third evo, coupled with an exclusive move called Hollowification which gives him +6 in all non evasion stats for 2 turns.

In all seriousness though, I feel like him evolving into a ghost knight would safely assume that their won't be levitate on this bad boy. Since Gengar is the levitating Pokemon that has levitate and I don't think they'll be adding more exceptions anytime soon.

I hope we never ever get a ghost knight because i am sick and tired of hearing "you know what the only thing to do with a ghost/steel is SUIT OF ARMOR"

AND IT WOULD HAVE A BILLION DEFENSES AND LEVITATE AND BE THE BEST POKEMON EVER AND AND AND kill me

R_N, you forgot to mention the signature Ghost move it would get, which would have 120 BP and have a 40% chance of [insert broken shit here.]

Some other Pokemon don't actually change in size much upon evolution. Haunter and Rhyhorn are two I can think of that weren't added in later gens. And Honedge isn't even that big, anyway. Really, though, all I'll speculate is that "one" thing could be meaningful.

Since I love to talk design, I'm hoping that the spirit takes on its own corporeal form while wielding the sword, as if inhabiting the sword was a placeholder-body for the spirit as it grows in power, like a dibbuk.
so yes, having a soul reaper evo would be wonderful there have got to be more original ideas than a suit of armor that Game Freak would try to design first.

There are some examples of large Pokemon evolving, such as Onix and Scyther, but a trend they seem to have is that they are cross-generational. There aren't many recent Pokemon that start off fairly large and still evolve (I can't even think of any off the top of my head - prove me wrong!).

But really, Honedge strikes me as the first Pokemon we've seen besides mayyyyyybe Gogoat that may not have any evolutionary relatives. And Gogoat is a weird one because we've maybe seen the prevo already, albeit unconfirmed.
Oh, I wouldn't argue that, which is why I said almost every Pokémon that evolves. There are plenty of Pokémon that also start small and stay relatively small,, like Gloom to Bellossom and so on, so there are certainly deviants to the notion that everything grows up.

It's funny because both Basculin and Cherrim are both completely legitimate Pokemon in NU. A Pokemon isn't terrible because it's not in OU. There are 51 Pokemon in OU. That's 7%.
I think being tiered into NU is the very definition of being inferior. It is a full two tiers below what is considered the standard tier by usage. Yes, it is possible that a pokemon can be made viable in a higher tier with good team synergy even though it sucks totally and completely on its own merits.

That is what I hope doesn't happen to Honedge. The typing alone helps a great deal toward making it viable. What I am hoping though is that it doesn't end up with Speed Boost or another similarly broken ability that bans it straight away to ubers.

I mean, does everyone want to have inferior, non-competitive pokemon just so that they can populate a lesser tier? How is that conducive to making the metagame as a whole healthy? Shouldn't more pokemon be made viable rather than less?

I am an advocate for any Poison type hybrids, especially after that atrocity called Garbodor. I mean, it's literally garbage.
They owe us some amazing poison types, and they might deliver if the rumors of Poison hitting Fairies SE is true.

Personally, I'd like to see Poison/Steel, Poison/Fire and maybe Poison/Electric... Woops... 4x ground weak on every single one... We're gonna need some Levitate action in here.

Poison/Dragon would be an outrageous fairy killer.

I think being tiered into NU is the very definition of being inferior. It is a full two tiers below what is considered the standard tier by usage. Yes, it is possible that a pokemon can be made viable in a higher tier with good team synergy even though it sucks totally and completely on its own merits.

I mean, does everyone want to have inferior, non-competitive pokemon just so that they can populate a lesser tier? How is that conducive to making the metagame as a whole healthy? Shouldn't more pokemon be made viable rather than less?

You are talking as if lower tiers are not viable metagames. NU may be definitive of pokemon not viable in OU, but that is really not relevant. The addition of Pokemon not viable in OU does not weaken the overall quality of the OU tier... these things are just about balance.

For example, lower tiers let players use more pokemon that they ACTUALLY like, rather than just what is good. Zangoose is not what you might consider OU viable, but I love his design and he happens to work quite well in lower tiers.

#implying that nobody plays lower tiers and would like to see cool Pokemon in them

7% of Pokemon. 7. While there are definitely Ubers, even combined they still make the minority - and this'll be even higher in next gen. Having a Pokemon that doesn't quite measure up is really common... And guess what? You can use lower-tiered Pokemon in OU, and they can even be effective - Bronzong, Ditto, Amoonguss, and more.

[I know, it's crazy, right?]

So, chances are, Honedge will not be OU, especially if it evolves and thus likely has low stats. So what? OU =/= everything.

Reactions: GTS
Honedge could have like 480 stats and still be OU. Look at Skarmory.

But as some guy mentioned it could evolve due to the whole "ONE" thing in the name. Like it could be

hONEdge > TWOblades > TRIhander

And it could turn into multiple swords or some shit as it evolves. Duh.

I don't think Honedge will evolve. It already looks quite big and it would be pretty strange to see a sword evolve into a suite of armor.
Any guesses on what typing chespin's evolution could be? I'm thinking grass/dark or grass/rock.

I don't think Honedge will evolve. It already looks quite big and it would be pretty strange to see a sword evolve into a suite of armor.
Any guesses on what typing chespin's evolution could be? I'm thinking grass/dark or grass/rock.

I, too, don't see Honedge evolving.
As for Chespin, I agree with grass/rock as well.

I could see Grass/Rock, Water/Flying and Fire. Maybe Fire/Psychic or some sub-type, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of them kept a mono typing.

lolol just realized, with the typings i proposed, Fire/Fighting would make sense. Like an overkill trio, grass and rock beats water and flying. Water and flying beats fire and fighting, and fire and fighting beats grass and rock.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
OP is currently bare-bones. If you feel something is worth adding, leave me a visitor message. Keep in mind that it is relatively easy to check the main Pokémon site linked in the OP.

Personally, I'd like to see Poison/Steel, Poison/Fire and maybe Poison/Electric... Woops... 4x ground weak on every single one... We're gonna need some Levitate action in here.
I think Poison/Fighting would be a great typing.There is 4x psychic weakness but with the speculation that Fairy is SE against fighting, having a poison stab attack to deal with Fairy weakness would be pretty good.Maybe Toxicroak would be used by more people even without dry skin outside of rain teams.

Adding on to Gerard's words, I can't see them retconning Gardevoir's Psychic-typing. They've pretty much already established that Gardevoir is canonically Psychic-type (it can't suddenly turn pure Fairy-type and leave Liza's PWT team), and Gallade's Psychic/Fighting typing would be a hard thing to explain too.
Gardevoir is listed as Psychic/Fairy on the official Pokemon X and Y site. Marill is listed as Water/Fairy and Jiglypuff as Normal/Fairy.

Poison/Dragon would be an outrageous fairy killer.
Um, Fairy is immune to Dragon, not weak to it.

To all the people who want Honedge to evolve into a haunted suit of armor (I wanna name a Honedge Honey incidentally, even if it's male) I have a question to ask you

How could you forget this guy?

As for me, I want to know if Flabebe's flower will actually have different colours (shinies don't count) or will be stuck with Spinda as the only pokemon with several unique appearances again

Also raise your hand if you think the leaked pokemon malimar is real

Mhmmm that wargoyle dragon/flying mon looks more ike darkflying or dragon/dark with levitate to me then dragon/flying even ghost.
It just looks too dark-ish.

Golurk is a very good ghost pokemon but even with iron fist ability, Shadow punch is pretty weak as a stab attack(60BP) .I hope Honedge gets a 80-90 BP physical ghost type move(or maybe just Shadow claw?)
I think that it would be pretty fun to be able to travel to another region or even get an another region's starter pokemon just like in HG/SS.Then playing pokemon x and y would be even more fun.
What will be the new most requested type ? Probably the awesome Fighting/Ghost, resisted only by the non-existent Ghost/Normal iirc.
I don't think they will be introducing any more ghost type pokemon. Chandelure(Litwick) and Golurk where shown in the game play trailers and now they introduced Honedge. There might not be many more ghost type pokemon except for maybe a ghost type eeveelution .

Golurk is a very good ghost pokemon but even with iron fist ability, Shadow punch is pretty weak as a stab attack(60BP) .I hope Honedge gets a 80-90 BP physical ghost type move(or maybe just Shadow claw?)
The sword itself makes for a prime candidate for some sort of Ghost variant of Horn Leech. A powerful physical STAB attack that saps the opponent's life in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)