Ability Exchange (AE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EV

Banned deucer.
Levitate Magnezone <-> Magnet Pull Gengar/Hydreigon
Magic Guard Archeops <-> Defeatist anything :(
Sheer Force Latios <-> Levitate Steelix? Nidoqueen?

Levitate Magnezone <-> Magnet Pull Gengar/Hydreigon
Magic Guard Archeops <-> Defeatist anything :(
Sheer Force Latios <-> Levitate Steelix? Nidoqueen?
Defeatist Reuniclus? It doesn't care about the Attack Drop at all :3

I think DrizzleThorn is nice, but Flash Fire Thorn is nicer. I'll make a Sun team tonight.

Also, Moxie Arcanine / Intimidate Salamence? I know Salamence gets Intimidate already, but would this be legal?

Edit: I have a Regigigas Idea too that I want to test now :3

Defeatist Reuniclus? It doesn't care about the Attack Drop at all :3

I think DrizzleThorn is nice, but Flash Fire Thorn is nicer. I'll make a Sun team tonight.

Also, Moxie Arcanine / Intimidate Salamence? I know Salamence gets Intimidate already, but would this be legal?

Edit: I have a Regigigas Idea too that I want to test now :3

Yeah that's legal. For Sand Teams, I can see Jellicent being a very effective weather inducer, since now Tyranitar/Hippowdon can absorb normally SE water moves.

Woohooo! I love this metagame! Harvest is probably THE most dangerous ability in here, making mons like Snorlax into insane juggernats. Harvest Conkeldurr can basically sub punch all it wants with Sitrus Berry, Dusknoir can curse spam, Cresselia can lum rest or calm mind and sub with sitrus, the list goes on.... I just hope it doesn't get banned because of this post.

Woohooo! I love this metagame! Harvest is probably THE most dangerous ability in here, making mons like Snorlax into insane juggernats. Harvest Conkeldurr can basically sub punch all it wants with Sitrus Berry, Dusknoir can curse spam, Cresselia can lum rest or calm mind and sub with sitrus, the list goes on.... I just hope it doesn't get banned because of this post.
I loove that ability! I was tempted to try harvest DD Tropius in NU. Yeah, I really wanna try Harvest. It's a fun ability

EV

Banned deucer.
The thing about the Defeatist <-> Magic Guard trade is while Reuniclus and Clefable might not care too much about Attack and Sp. Attack drops, they do care about losing Magic Guard and become fairly mediocre (well Clefable was never great) and practically dead weight.
Reuniclus still might have some options open like Trick Room, it won't run that because Archeops likes its Speed.

Problem is, Archeops isn't much better off getting Rock Head either. Considering it now takes SR damage AND Life Orb recoil AND no Rock Head mon wants Defeatist it might just be another case of Truant.

Will the prehistoric bird-lizard ever catch a break?

One thing I might explore with this metagame is the use of Dry Skin and Poison Heal on offensive setup sweepers. Both obviously have their advantages: Poison Heal makes you status-immune and works regardless of weather, while Dry Skin stacks with Leftovers recovery and makes you Water-immune. However, both essentially let a Pokemon recover impressive amounts of health each turn. One Pokemon that could be pretty interesting is Dry Skin Terrakion with a SubSD set. I'm theorymonning right now, but I'd imagine that it would work like a souped-up Toxicroak due to its better power, speed, bulk, and STAB coverage. In addition, Terrakion would lose its Water weakness in exchange for a less effective Fire resistance. Even more dangerous might be SubCM Keldeo. While it doesn't appreciate the Water immunity quite as much as Terrakion, it does abuse Rain much more effectively with its STAB Surf. As far as Poison Heal goes, I could definitely see some faster defensive Pokemon taking advantage of it very well. For example, CM Latias could run Substitute + Protect to stall out dangerous moves while boosting until its Dragon Pulse is strong enough to ravage the opposing team.

Another neat ability that could be useful on a number of Pokemon is Regenerator. You have many good defensive Pokemon such as Forretress and Ferrothorn that make great switch-ins to a number of offensive Pokemon, but they don't exactly have the most reliable recovery in the world. Regenerator would let them pivot in and out of attacks while staying in shape very well. Cresselia would also love Regenerator, seeing how her best recovery move is only reliable if you can keep Sun up. With Regenerator covering Cresselia's health, that would even free up a moveslot so that you no longer have to pick 2 of Ice Beam, HP Fire, and Psychic STAB, or you could even use her as a status platform of sorts and run both Thunder Wave and Toxic. Hey, if it gave Amoonguss a good niche in OU, I'm sure it could do wonders for Pokemon such as these.

On the offensive side of things, Sheer Force looks to be a monster of an ability. Imagine Sheer Force Tornadus, hitting pretty much everything somewhat hard with its STAB Hurricane and Focus Blast for coverage. Only a small handful of OU Pokemon can avoid the 2HKO from either Hurricane or Focus Blast with Stealth Rock down, with Jirachi being the best switch-in. Even Blissey and Chansey need SpD investment to do so. Download could be insanely powerful as well. For example, CB Terrakion could come in on a host of OU Pokemon and nail an Atk boost, giving it +1 Atk further boosted by the Choice Band. To put that power into perspective, even 252/252+ Landorus-T is 2HKO'd by Stone Edge 61.33% of the time without Stealth Rock. Your best shot at taking on Terrakion would be Golurk, who can actually avoid the 2HKO from Stone Edge after Stealth Rock with just a little more Def investment than the support set on its OU analysis. That is, unless Terrakion starts running Earthquake on its CB sets, in which case Golurk is easily 2HKO'd (that also ends any Nidoqueen shenanigans you might have planned).

Of course, the trick with some of these abilities would be finding Pokemon to swap with. Porygon-Z and Porygon2 are the only Pokemon that get Download, and I'm not sure they'd have much use for Terrakion's Justified. Same with the Dry Skin users alongside Keldeo or Terrakion. Since Prankster is banned from swapping, you'd have to give Tornadus's Defiant to something in order to give it Sheer Force, although it would be nice on a physical sweeper in order to turn Intimidate from a hindrance to a blessing (I'm sure Landorus-I would appreciate this a bit). Regenerator would definitely be a tricky one. Iron Barbs Amoonguss actually sounds interesting, and at least it gets Spore. Definitely lots of possibilities.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Archeops could swap his ability with a defensive mon, Both Celebi (Specially Defensive variant) and Blissey have access to Aromatherapy/Heal Bell, so wouldn't be nerfed too hard, and their support variants don't need to care about attacking much anyway (Celebi only needs it for u-turn, and it can even recover health back again constantly). Natural Cure is not too bad for Archeops either. Alternatively, Blissey could swap Serene Grace for Defeatist, and Archeops has Rock Slide...

I'm gonna test out Solar Power, Drought, and Magic Guard. In theory, Charizard isn't completely useless without Solar Power as a Stealth Rock immunity means he can use his classic BellyDrum set more effectively with Salac Berry, but idk. It's not on the banlist atm but if Alakazam gets it...

Hi, cool meta. I knew about this before from the CC xat, but I thought I'd reply. And while I'm posting here, I'll post a cool idea for this meta: Starmie with Sheer force and Conkeldurr with Analytic. Both will hit incredibly hard. Starmie has the moves and speed to abuse sheer force, and Conkeldurr will almost always get the analytic boost.

I've thought of some other cool chain swaps, but I'll keep them to myself ;)

EDIT: please people..... don't use harvest mons.... I've faced a few harvest exeggutor in NU, and they're even more annoying than Liepard and Sableye combined....

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What about Skill Swap Truant/Defeatist together with great ability Regigigas/Slaking

Also Drought Cresselia is awesome, it can tank most hits and Stall with Substitute, Toxic and the great healing move Moonlight (Recovers 2/3 in sun)

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
What about Skill Swap Truant/Defeatist together with great ability Regigigas/Slaking
Indeed, I could see Skill Swap Reuniclus w/ Defeatist being great in conjunction with Magic Guard Archeops... you know, for the whole "Head Smash with zero recoil" thing ;)

Anyone playing this yet? It's pretty easy to play this in BH, just use honor system to set the EVs correctly. I'll try and be on tonight in IRC and we can play a match.

Sheer Force Hydreigon. Calling it now, that thing will absolutely devastate this meta.

Eh, it'll certainly be more powerful, but it still suffers from the same low speed and meh bulk that it has in OU. It already has no safe switch ins in standard OU, this just means he can turn 2hko's into ohko's and if you predict wrong it does more damage. No LO recoil on Fire Blast and Dark Pulse will be nice though.

I'm also putting a banner FrozenConstellation made in the OP, so check that out :) I'll be gone until Sunday, but I'll be back and ready to test some things after that.

SpartanMalice

I've tested Solar Power power Alakazam in tandem with Magic Guard Charizard, and it hits really, really hard. A Focus Blast aimed at Hydreigon hit Victini at the switch in for a 2HKO, with Life Orb. The downside to this is Alakazam needs the firepower since without Magic Guard sash is nearly useless, so faster threats such as weather abusers can take him out. Charizard is still decent with Magic Guard and is not really dead weight like Ninetales is. I know this because Belly Drum Flare Blitz KO'd a Garchomp, and Honkcalculator shows that he could also OHKO Gyarados, which means he can opt for EQ over ThunderPunch, which I used.

Currently going to test Download Alakazam and Magic Guard Porygon2 instead.

Edit: Also, I ran timid on Kazam.

FLCL destroyed me in a game earlier with Technician Garchomp (Bulldoze/Dual Chop) and Magic Guard Volcarona (I think that is just genius).

SpartanMalice

The problem with Moxie Lucario is finding someone to give Steadfast/Inner Focus/Justified to. For Moxie users, you have Salamence, Gyarados, Heracross and Scrafty. You don't need to give them Luke's abilities, but finding a third pokemon who can substitute their ability for Luke's abilities while giving theirs to the former Moxie user is kinda tricky.

FLCL destroyed me in a game earlier with Technician Garchomp (Bulldoze/Dual Chop) and Magic Guard Volcarona (I think that is just genius).

I knew Magic Guard Volcarone was going to come up eventually, but I never even thought of Technichomp. Sound really cool, especially that Dual Chop. It's a shame that Fire Fang is juts outside boost range :/

The problem with Moxie Lucario is finding someone to give Steadfast/Inner Focus/Justified to. For Moxie users, you have Salamence, Gyarados, Heracross and Scrafty. You don't need to give them Luke's abilities, but finding a third pokemon who can substitute their ability for Luke's abilities while giving theirs to the former Moxie user is kinda tricky.
Heracross 4x resists Dark and hits back for SE damage, as does Scrafty. They'd both enjoy Justified.

I'm having more issue with getting good abilities onto Regigigas myself, but that's a problem for later.

SpartanMalice

True, but it's only useful on the switch in I guess. Scrafty's too slow to hit back though, I'd probably go with Hera.

Flash Fire
Sturdy
Marvel Scale
Guts
Thick Fat
Weak Armor

These are all fun abilities to swap around. Sturdy Gliscor is a very good suicide lead atm I think. Sets rocks, fast Taunt, has EQ and Ice Fang for decent coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)