Ability Exchange (AE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually use Venomoth as a lead, and most of the time I'm not against a mon with sleep (Such as usually facing Contrail's Zam),but I do agree sleep is a big problem. And Gardevoir's really useful for a Sheer Force Life Orb set, since Focus Miss/Psychic/Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt is also boosted by Sheer Force LO, easily bluffing a Choice set.

Currently theorymoning a hail team

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Yeah I suggested that to him before. Endeavor+Extremespeed should work, its problems are Lucario and Dragonite though, and anything that can break it's sturdy.

And Shedinja can't change his ability. Illegal.

canno

formerly The Reptile
This looks pretty neat.

One idea that I haven't seen mentioned is Mamoswine + Technician user. Mamoswine would get access to Technician Ice Shard and Technician Icicle Spear, which is more accurate and has the potential to hit harder than his other STAB, Icicle Crash. Also, Technician Bulldoze is only slightly weaker than EQ but drops speed. Meanwhile, it can potentially give the other technician users Thick Fat, which is nice when you consider most of them are weak to Fire, and some are weak to Ice. Roserade and Scizor are probably the best users of Thick Fat. You could also be like me and just give Thick Fat to something else while giving the technician users another ability: Thick Fat is a really neat ability on anything really.

Another idea is to give Natural Cure to things that don't have a reliable recovery move. Celebi is a pretty good pokemon even without Natural Cure, so it seems like the best candidate for a Natural Cure donor. I'd imagine maybe giving Celebi a weather ability or an immunity ability such as Flash Fire.

SpartanMalice

Lol, it's on the very top of the OP. To be fair though, Teravolt can be given to something and Kyurem-B can get Download instead, but it'll still have the problem of crappy movepool. Really, the only meta where Kyurem-B shines is Stabmons. Trace is also more useful than Teravolt, in a meta where odd abilities dominate.
Porygon-Z can get something better, but I'd normally just use Porygon2. That way you also get a defensive poke.

Reactions: EV
Too bad adaptability is limited. In my sick mind I found the combination of No Guard Starmie and Analytic SubPunch Machamp but have to see if it works.

Download on a thing like Thundurus-T can make it the best wallbreaker in the game. And you can pass Volt Absorb to Gyarados and give Intimidate to Porygon2.

Drizzle is an ability I prefer to keep it on Politoed since it's crap with anything else. Also, you want better abilities on your Ferrothorn/Keldeo/Dragonite/etc...

canno

formerly The Reptile
Look at this:
Pressure Porygon-Z
Adaptability Kyurem-B!!!

So instead of telling you that you're silly for not reading, since everyone already did that, instead I'll give you a couple of legal ideas for Kyu-B

• Unburden
Unburden is cool on Kyu-B as a late-game sweeper for obvious reasons. Doubling base 95 makes you fast as fuck, along with Kyu-B's insane Attack and decent bulk makes Unburden Kyu-B a really cool late-game sweeper. Most of the Unburden partners are pretty crap though. Hitmonlee and Sceptile are probably the best, and neither can really use Teravolt very well (Sceptile can bypass Sap Sipper I guess). Probably best with a third party.

• Sheer Force
Sheer Force is great for a mixed set, as it boosts Ice Beam and Earth Power to power levels that should in theory close to it's attacking power. Focus Blast also gets a boost from Sheer Force. What Kyu-B has over Normal Kyurem is Fusion Bolt. Also, Landorous-I, while it would appreciate Sheer Force more, can still use Teravolt to smash Levitaters in the face with Earth Power.

• Magic Guard
Nullifies the SR weakness while making it immune to status, which is a godsend to Sub sets (still doesn't like Burns for obvious reasons). Recoiless LO is also nice. None of the partners appreciate Teravolt though, so it's probably best in a trio like Unburden.

• Poison Heal
Poison Heal is probably a better version of Magic Guard for Sub-sets. Isn't immune to hazards and gets LO recoil, but it does get better HP recovery. Gliscor can use Teravolt decently to smack levitators, much like Lando-I. Breloom can also use it to sleep pokemon that thing they can avoid sleep due to abilities.
  • Rain Dish / Ice Body
These are put in the same place because they are similar. These are pretty good on sub sets due to the amazing recovery, but no status immunity like Poison Heal. Dry Skin isn't here because on Kyu-B it's a shitty alternative. Water-immunity isn't worth the Fire weakness and losing HP in Sun. Rain Dish is nice because Kyu-B is pretty good on Rain teams anyways. Teravolt also lets Tenta set-up on Magic Bouncers and Scald burn Water-immune pokemon. Meanwhile, Ice Body could be good on a SubRoost set that uses Blizzard. Teravolt lets Glalie set-up Spikes on Magic Bouncers, but that's it. Probably best in a 3 way.

SpartanMalice

Never seen Kyurem much in Tier Shift. Doubles, IDK, don't play it much.

Reptile, me and Sewa were theorymoning on Joim's Lab about what would be the better Technician user, Weavile or Mamoswine. Weavile has more options: Fake Out, Ice Shard, Beat Up, Pursuit... but swapping Pressure/Pickpocket onto another mon is tricky. Maybe Porygon2? The Volt Absorb thing was a wacky idea I came up with to give Download to Thundurus-I and... wait for it - Hydration to Snorlax. Whereas either Porygon2 or as Sewa suggested, Vaporeon gets Immunity instead.

Download Thundurus-I and Tornadus are two things I've had on my mind for quite a while, of which one I've already used - Download Thundurus-I, with Volt Absorb as well as Magic Guard Gyarados, but IDK about Tornadus. Weaker typing in exchange for slightly better Attack, Weaker SpA, and higher speed which is always good for a wallbreaker. Thing is, I first thought of Download Thundurus-I because of Alakazam just barely missing out on KOs, but this may not be a problem for something with 145 SpA....

Thundurus-I also has access to the same options Tornadus does - U-turn and Superpower. I know what you're thinking, no Volt Switch, but it's Download and electric stab is kinda redudant with Thunderbolt. So a mixed set composing of U-turn over Volt Switch, and Superpower over Focus Miss, with Thunderbolt/Thunder in rain and HP Ice might be decent. Infernape can also pull this off on sun/sand/weatherless teams, with pros and cons - higher speed, lack of SR weakness, but lower SpA. It does however have access to two good Dual STABs in Overheat and Close Combat, and a much more expansive movepool.

When keeping Drizzle on Politoed I think Hydration CurseLax can be a decent idea if pulled off right.

Just gonna say Porygon2 seems to be pretty common in this meta due to three good swappable abilities and still decent defenses. I've used him in quite a few teams. Intimidate is pretty good.

As for Ice Body... what about Walrein instead of Glalie ? If used to counter rain, it would take

I like the idea of using Porygon2 more often. With 3 good abilities, you can play head games with the opponent. Another cool trick I saw was Hariyama/Exeggcutor on a sun team. Eggs gets Thick Fat to cover 2 of its weaknesses, while Hariyama takes Harvest for SubPunch Spam.

SpartanMalice

Right now here's a list of good pokemon who can benefit from Download:

Mixed Attackers

Infernape
Azelf
Thundurus-T
Tornadus
Landorus
Kyurem-B
Kyurem
Hydreigon
Salamence

These 5 are I think the best who can abuse it. Particularly the top three.

Physical Attackers

Landorus-T? Idk. 105 SpA isn't bad too, but speed's a downer.

Special Attackers

Alakazam. Advantages over Thundurus? Higher speed, SpA pretty close. Downside? It may well download attack...

I'll add more later and Trace/Analytic are also worth considering. In fact, I'm thinking Analytic on Regigigas....

I came up with a new FEAR Smeargle set

Smeargle @ Shell Bell
Trait: Sturdy
Level: 2
EVs: 252 Spd / 127 HP
Serious Nature
- Spore
- Memento/Magic Coat
- Endeavor
- Leech Seed
This set works extremely well with weather and spin support. This FEARmon hardly cares about Endeavor blockers since it can Leech Seed to recover all its health, in fact, Leech Seed is the most spammable move here. This Smeargle has the potential to sweep a team if timed right, spore the important threat, Leech Seed, Endeavor in the right moments. Magic Coat is good for blocking toxics and will-o-wisps. Don't forget that Smeargle gives Technician to a teammate!

SpartanMalice

Hydration CurseLax is a beast in this metagame. Let it set up twice and you're dead, cause it can rest off any Super Effective damage, and after that, it's attack + rest if it gets to 40% HP or less. It's immune to status as well so nothing can stop it's sweep if rain is up. I use no attack EVs so it's good at tanking hits.

Just a question: if I pass Intimidate from Salamence onto Cresselia and then because Hydreigon also has Levitate(thus using the abilities), could I keep Moxie on Salamence(seeing as I am using Levitate)?

SpartanMalice

Um, that doesn't make any sense. Intimidate goes to Cresselia, Salamence loses Intimidate, there it can only get Moxie by borrowing it from another Moxie pokemon, or use Levitate which is useless on it.

Just because Hydreigon doesn't lose his ability doesn't mean Salamence gets to keep his alternative ability. You want Moxie, either keep it on Mence or borrow it from another pokemon.

here was my first team (lol it sucked)
Porygon2 - Iron Barbs
Ferrothorn - Analytic
Alakazam - Defeatist
Archeops - Magic Guard
Zoroark - Levitate
Latios - Illusion

My new team will hopefully be better

Alright, someone needs to make a threat list and I'm way too lazy to do so so I'm just posting some other a core that actually would go well together (imo).

Natural Cure Slowbro + Regenerator Blissey/Chansey

And you thought SkarmBliss was bad enough. While Slowbro does lose valuable healing when switching, Slack off and Wish from Blissey/Chansey really mitigates that from them. This is probably one of the better defensive cores in the game, and makes the blobs even more annoying.

And a lulzy core

Water Absorb Heatran + Iron Barbs Vaporeon + Flash Fire Ferrothorn

This is probably one of the more annoying stall cores, with Heatran now able to tank everythign a rain team can practically throw at it not named Keldeo. Vaporeon is able to actually take some physical hits, with Acid Armor + Wish, no matter how gimmicky it is. Ferro now becomes one of the best answers to sun (Even if Heatran already was), and can actually counter Magnet Pull Heatran with Bulldoze, and makes an offesnive set look better. Though still it's better fit for stall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)