Draconic Punishment (Peak #1)

Hello, I have peaked first on the PS OU ladder twice, and got 1500 on the PO ladder, if anyone cares. This team, originally built around Terrakion, serves mainly to exterminate Terrakion's checks so that Terrakion can secure a late-game sweep.

Dragondorf (Dragonite) (M) @ Dragon Gem
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 80 Atk / 252 SAtk / 176 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Superpower
- Fire Blast
- ExtremeSpeed

Dragonite is just so good at what it does. In a tier where weather and smashpass are omni-present in the tier, I went with the craziest anti-lead anyone could have thought of MixNite. While many will find me crazy for using Dragonite's sub-par special attack compared to its great Attack stat, this set brilliantly lures and destroys most of the tier's leads and Dragonite's common checks/counters. Dragon Gem boosted Draco Meteor is a serious nuke, doing instantly truckloads of damage in one shot. I chose Draco Meteor over Dragon Claw or Outrage mainly because it destroys Landorus-T, Gliscor, Donphan, Hippowdon, all of which are stumbling blocks for Terrakion. It also does not require Dragonite to stay locked unlike Outrage, and has a significantly higher base power compared to Dragon Claw. Fire Blast and Superpower hits all steel types for SE damage bar Heatproof Bronzong, who has better business than stay in the OU tier. Fire Blast nails Scizor and Forretress, roasting them to the point that they are nothing more than fiery cinders. Superpower is mainly for Heatran and Tyranitar, hitting both for SE damage and 2hkos them easily, unless Heatran wields the uncommon Chople Berry. Extremespeed is used to finish off pokes brought down to their Sturdy/Sash range. The EV spreads are such that Dragonite outruns all positive base 70s, such as Politoed, Cloyster, Breloom and Metagross. Full 252 EVs are invested in Special Attack to instantly blast holes through the opponent's team. The rest of the EVs are put into Attack to give Superpower and Extremespeed an extra punch. Did I mention it is good Latios bait for Scizor to kill?

StarStruck (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rapid Spin

Starmie is the star of the show(Yes, I pun). Starmie has one job, spinning the hazards away, as my team is surprisingly hazards-weak. As Starmie only has one job, spinning, I gave Starmie Analytic so that it can blast through even Jellicent if it switches in, getting a notable 2hko on it with just Psyshock alone. I also use Hidden Power [Fire] because Ferrothorn laying hazards all over my team is a pain in the ass, especially when Ferrothorn can simply use Power Whip to get rid of Starmie. Hydro Pump hits like a truck after factoring Analytic, which allows me to gain offensive momentum. Rapid Spin is mandatory as ever, and is mainly the crux of the moveset.

BurnItDown (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 188 SDef / 64 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Toxic
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Heatran serves as the team's defensive backbone. His numerous resistances allow it to tank hits and retaliate. Heatran also carries the ever-important Stealth Rock on my team, and I require them to be up in order to turn certain 3hkos into 2hkos and 2hkos into 1hkos. It also reduces the effectiveness of Stealth Rock weak pokes, such as Volcarona. Lava Plume is really there for STAB, as well as grabbing the potential burn that can shit down a physical attacker.I use Toxic over Earth power as I can cripple defensive threats such as Latias and Jellicent, both of which Toxic wear down very easily, and also forcing them out soon enough, racking even more SR damage. Roar is used to phaze out boosting threats such as Latias, who cannot even scratch its tough hide without enough boosts under its belt.

Recharge (Thundurus-T) (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Thundurus-T helps the team by exterminating specific threats. While it might seem wierd to have Volt Switch as the only STAB move, i require the other moveslots to cover the wide range of threats that my team will be easily steamrolled over should I not have these important coverage moves. I chose Expert Belt as its item because most Thundurus-T wields a Choice Item and I can often just bluff a Choice Item in order to scare off the opponent and only reveal that I am expert belted when I need my other coverage moves to defeat the opponent. Grass Knot is possibly the most expandable move in Thundurus-T's moves, but that is not saying it is useless. Grass Knot easily eliminates Hippowdon and Gastrodon, both of which are huge defensive threats to my team, and Gastrodon can punch holes should it grab the Storm Drain boost and it is donning the choice specs. Focus Blast smashes the steel types that pose as a problem to my team, and with Expert Belt boosting its power, most steel types weak to it will almost faint. Volt Switch and Hidden Power [Ice] form a pseudo-BoltBeam Combo, having excellent coverage throughout the tier. Thundurus-T is a valuable member of my team, its usefulness as a specific exterminator helps out the team in the long run.

Sniper (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 216 HP / 236 Atk / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit
Scizor is the glue to my team. The usefullness that Scizor provides is really the team's key to success. Scizor has 4 main roles on the team: The pursuit trapper, the physical Hard-hitter, the Revenge-killer, and the Psychic exterminator. I slapped a Choice Band on this killing machine because i badly require the added attack boost in order to fill all 4 holes. Pursuit is for trapping the ghosts, making Starmie's job as a spinner much easier, as well as taking out the Lati@s that is a pain to handle on my team. Bullet Punch, boosted by Technician and further boosted by STAB, and finally feeding off Scizor's high Attack stat, is going to start punching holes into the opponent's team, slaying them before they know what hit them. Bullet Punch also bypasses its average speed. U-turn puts a severe dent on Reuniclus, as well as scouting the opponent, and continue the little Volt-Turn core between itself and Thundurus-T. Superpower wraps up the set, destroying all steel types that there stand in its way. Scizor needs to be played carefully, for it cannot afford to be trapped by Magnezone.

Terrakium (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Terrakion is the wallbreaker and Revenge-killer on the team. Its solid base 129 attack stat is simply astounding, and Terrakion also boasts a blazing 108 base speed, as well as having two excellent STABs that compliment each other so well, Terrakion seems custom-built to destroy and finish off teams. I chose Hidden Power [Ice] on Terrakion because of the constant Gliscor threat. 48 Special Attack EVs are enough to guarentee the 2hko on gliscor, Landorus and Donphan. Close Combat and Stone Edge are the brilliant STAB moves of choice, utterly destroying anything that is weak to it. X-Scizzor rounds off the set, hitting Psychic types slightly harder than Stone Edge, as well as dealing with Celebi.

Closing comments:
This team is pretty damn weak to Rain stall, as Rain stall teams can easily stall through my team, and Toxicroak is a further pain in the thorn on my side. MixSaur is also pretty irritating to deal with, as EQ can take out Heatran, and I must get Dragonite's Multiscale in tact before taking it out with Fire Blast.

This team has been very successful, hope you like it~!
Oh yeah, forgot this, this team is extremely prone to hax :x

Last edited:
Honestly, MixNite may sound cool but it's COMPLETELY outclassed as a mixed attacker by Salamence and Hydreigon. Other than that, I REALLY like the team.

So I'd suggest you change MixNite to MixMence(much faster, better attacking stats both special and physical, Moxie/Intimidate).
Salamence@Life Orb
EVs: 64 Atk/192 SpA/252 Spd
Naive Nature
Ability:Moxie/Intimidate
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

MixMence is pretty standard, has much more power than MixNite as well as better speed. Moxie is for a more attacking mixed set while Intimidate can help shut down physical attackers that would otherwise trouble terrakion.

Anyways, best of luck!
Vyomov

Honestly, MixNite may sound cool but it's COMPLETELY outclassed as a mixed attacker by Salamence and Hydreigon. Other than that, I REALLY like the team.

So I'd suggest you change MixNite to MixMence(much faster, better attacking stats both special and physical, Moxie/Intimidate).
Salamence@Life Orb
EVs: 64 Atk/192 SpA/252 Spd
Naive Nature
Ability:Moxie/Intimidate
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

MixMence is pretty standard, has much more power than MixNite as well as better speed. Moxie is for a more attacking mixed set while Intimidate can help shut down physical attackers that would otherwise trouble terrakion.

Anyways, best of luck!
Vyomov

What mixmence lacks is ExtremeSpeed, which picks weakened pokemon, as well as multiscale. MixNite also lures in and destroys physically bulky pokemon such as Gliscor, and Dragon Gem boosted Meteor does close to OHKOing Politoed and Ninetales, within range where e-speed will KO

Hello DracoNinja, nice team.

First off, even though you might like Dragonite for luring in Gliscor and OHKOing with Draco Meteor, I honestly don't see the purpose of using it over MixMence. MixMence is faster, stronger, and can afford Roost. Most physical walls that Dragonite would lure in are completely wrecked by the rest of the team, so I honestly don't see the purpose of not switching.

Second, you have a grand total of two water resists, neither of which are very bulky. Something like a Choice Specs Politoed can come in on Heatran and proceed to 2HKO anything that tries to switch in. So, I reccomend you make Starmie into a Bulky Variant, and you consider changing Heatran to a water resist like Celebi or Empoleon.

That's my rate, gl

I played with this thing for a little while and against weatherless teams it steam rolled most of them and even more so when i swapped Dragonite for Salamence but against weather teams like Politoed and ninetales it became such an up hill battle. This team is good but i feel it needs some way of leveling the playing field against weather. Either join them (Kingdra+swift swim) or add your own; Tyranitar for example.

Just my 2 cents

Hello DracoNinja, nice team.

First off, even though you might like Dragonite for luring in Gliscor and OHKOing with Draco Meteor, I honestly don't see the purpose of using it over MixMence. MixMence is faster, stronger, and can afford Roost. Most physical walls that Dragonite would lure in are completely wrecked by the rest of the team, so I honestly don't see the purpose of not switching.

Second, you have a grand total of two water resists, neither of which are very bulky. Something like a Choice Specs Politoed can come in on Heatran and proceed to 2HKO anything that tries to switch in. So, I reccomend you make Starmie into a Bulky Variant, and you consider changing Heatran to a water resist like Celebi or Empoleon.

That's my rate, gl
I'll test bulky Starmie, thanks for the rate.

All I can say is this team is DOPE. I suck at OU but still did well with it. Great team building and congrats.
=)

I played with this thing for a little while and against weatherless teams it steam rolled most of them and even more so when i swapped Dragonite for Salamence but against weather teams like Politoed and ninetales it became such an up hill battle. This team is good but i feel it needs some way of leveling the playing field against weather. Either join them (Kingdra+swift swim) or add your own; Tyranitar for example.

Just my 2 cents
Well, for some reason, I encounter many HO custap leads such as Crustle/Skarm/Forre and therefore Dragonite seems to be the most effective weapon to make sure they only get SR up. I have tested MixMence, and it was subpar in its wallbreaking role and anti-lead, making Dragonite the superior choice. But feel free to use Salamence over Dragonite though, I can see where your point is. As much as I want to get a weather check, I really have no space. That being said, Dragon Gem Draco Meteor does a serious truckload to both Ninetales, Hippo and Politoed, Superpower for T-tar and Fire Blast for Aboma

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This team is a really powerful team, however it seems to be more viable in Tournaments rather than Ladder, mainly due to its reliance on surprise factor. Mixed Dragonite seems to be the crux of the team, and it should be right. I disagree with the rates that MixMence is better; it it not always the case. Firstly, Dragonite's Multiscale grants it a safety-net against petty revenge killing from stuff such as Keldeo, a feat that MixMence cannot do.

Its "normal" counters can do naught but eat a STAB Dragon Gem Draco Meteor to the face; tell me what set you think of when you see a Dragonite: Sub DD? Sub Roost? DD? Fact is, if you thought of them and immediately switched in your Hippowdon/Donphan/Skarmory/<insert physical Dnite counter>, they are going to to be terminated. Furthermore, its extremely beneficial to the team in terms of synergy, it is a BRILLIANT lure to eradicate Terrakion's counters, which is the team's wincon. It is good thinking on the OP's part. Finally, Extremespeed rounds off the set, granting powerful cleaning priority ability and also no bueno Custap Skarm.

However, I do suggest that your team gets more water resists, as a Scarfed Politoed may switch in and spam Surf which can decimate the team. For this, I recommend Empoleon over Heatran, with this set:
Code:
Metal Sonic (Empoleon) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Roar
- Grass Knot / Ice Beam / Toxic
It is a solid water type counter with a Grass Knot to wipe them away, which is especially useful for Gastrodon and the like. Of course, if you dislike having an additional attack because Thundurus-T already has it, you can use Toxic. However, note that Thundurus cannot switch in safely. Finally, it is able to get benefits in Rain(Extra Scald Damage) and Scald has the same generous Burn rate as Lava Plume too!

Although you lose a Fire resist, it is not big deal thanks to Terrakion feeding on Fire Attacks(except for Lava Plume!) and striking back really painfully.

This team is really good and I'll give it 4.5 stars out of 5. It's well made, with each pokemon having a strong purpose, and all set towards a final wincon. The MixNite is novel and thus try not to use it too much on the ladder, but the surprise factor is sure to snag a few kills and eventually a win in Tournament Battles and the like.

Good job!

Hey,

This is actually a really cool team. Lead Mix Nite is really freaking devastating, and nice to deal with some annoying Custap Lead mons to prevent it from getting up more than one Hazard. Everything else is pretty cool.

A few suggestions, I would add a bit more bulk to Starmie, since you only need 216 Speed EVs to outspeed Timid Gengar, that should probably be the speed benchmark you hit. The spread I would use is 28 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpA / 216 Spe. However, you can mess around with the spread a bit, since you only need 4 SpA EVs to take out Gengar, and let's be real, no matter what Starmie's SpA is, it's not taking down Jellicent without Thunder 1v1. I am going to tell you right now though, that Jellicent looks like a nightmare to play against with this team, unless you bluff E-Belt Thundurus-T extremely well. I don't really know how to fix this at the moment though. Unless Dragon Gem Draco kills Jellicent, you're going to have some issues.

Change HP Ice to Rock Slide on Terrakion. It's personal preference to be honest, but I would hate to lose a game if Stone Edge misses, and HP Ice, while doing a decent chunk to Gliscor (who I think still can survive after a protect and OHKO with EQ) and Landorus, you have D-Nite to deal with Donphan, and HP Ice is doing some pitiful damage at most, so it doesn't seem worth it to me. A weak as hell HP Ice also seems like the biggest Set Up Fodder.

Good luck!

@ Metal Sonic

Thundurus-T will be the only electric- resister/immune poke on the team already, and adding another electric-weak poke makes my team even weaker to electric-type moves. Thanks for the rate though! (Finally someone who sees MixNite eradicates Terrakion's counters)

@ Paul L.

Thanks!

@Mike

You are right that Jellicent is the team's #1 pain to the team, being able to fully wall most stuff, but Heatran can tank 3 unboosted scalds and set up SR/Roar/Go for the burn/Special Defense drop and Jelli also takes ~65% from Thundurus-T's Volt Switch. I've seen myself in situations where I was 1v1 with Gliscor who has 40% left and HP Ice won me the game. But i'll take Rock Slide into consideration though!

@Cheeseguy12

Thanks!

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hi DracoNinja!

Awesome team. ♥ All of the minor suggestions and points I would have touched on have already been mentioned. I like vyomov's idea of switching MixNite to MixMence, but I also agree that Extremespeed and Multiscale are unique and can be very useful. I also agree on adding bulk to Starmie.

Terrakion is going to wreck some things. I wish you continued luck with this!

Personally peeked ~1750 over various teams under one account. Still new to competitive battling, so my rate may be poor. Went 5-1 with this team.

I see people saying you need more water checks, but Dnite and Starmie seem to be enough. Dnite can switch into scalds since it doesn't mind being burned too much. Lose MultiScale, but it can still be specially offensive, and Starmie has natural Cure. The only weakness was when I switched Dnite into a Hydro Pump from Keldeo. Didn't see LifeOrb so stayed in. It was Ebelt and KOed with IcyWind. It would be crazy to change a poke for just this one instance though.

Another problem I was having, were the potential sweeps I could have had with Thundurus, but couldn't because it's only stab switched him out. I didn't have any chances in the 6 games to use Volt-Switch to gain momentum. I would suggest maybe trying Thunder or Tbolt.

Otherwise powerful team I'll be keeping in my teams list xD.

p.s.
Change HP Ice to Rock Slide on Terrakion. It's personal preference to be honest, but I would hate to lose a game if Stone Edge misses
That is actually how I lost.

Just asking, what do the Scizor Evs do? Other than that, opposing Terrakion are seriously hard to face. I got 4-0ed by one using this team. Maybe I am just a really bad player, but consider Scarf Landorus-T over Thundurus-T. It can generate tons of momentum, be a great check to most physical attackers, but kinda compounds your severe water weakness.

@Pokebored

Thundurus-T does suffer a bit from 4MSS, and I need all the moveslots for separate pokemon. I think Grass Knot is the most exchangable move imo, but without it I lose to Gastrodon on the spot. Have fun with the team though!

@Ogasian

I will admit Terrakion is a pain in the ass to face, but it really depends on the set that Terrakion is running for me to know the set. Most tend to run Choice Scarf, and Starmie can generally take a SE/CC from it and scout the next move. It can take 2 CCs i believe, and retaliate with Psyshock. Worse comes to worse, Speed ties D: As you said, Landy-T just adds up to my water-weakness.

Hey DracoNinja cool team!
Mixnite rocks, I remember playing this team and I was really surprised by Mixnite, it took down 2 pokes lol.
Like other people mentioned, Jellicent and Gastrodon are probably you're hugest problem, so you should consider running Toxic over Roar on Heatran. It realy puts a timer on both of them and it would help out a lot. I don't really see any other use for Earth Power than to hit opposing Heatran so I'd change Earth Power to Hidden Power [Ice]. Heatran is your main Dragon check atm and it has really no way to touch opposing dragons except for a lucky burn. It also checks SubCM Latias, another huge problem to face.

You should definitely go with Mike's EV spread for Starmie, a more bulky Starmie could help out a lot. Personally I'm not a great fan of HP Ice Terrakion, your team does fairly well against Donphan/Lando-T/Gliscor so it seems a waste of Evs in my eyes. I'd use Earthquake > HP Ice since Toxicroak can be a pain if played correctly.

Really solid team, good luck with it!

PO ps: make Starmie bulky RP Lando-I rips your team apart.

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor
Hi DracoNinja, wonderful team you have here.

I've been looking at this team for a while now, and the only real threat I could identify was Toxicroak. 5/6 of your team are OHKO'd by its coverage moves after a SD, while Scizor can't really do much back. Unless you start shifting a lot around, the simplest solution would be to fit Earthquake somewhere on Terrakion's move set. I know you really like HP Ice, so I won't touch that. Instead, I'd probably remove X-Scissor. You have pokes like Celebi already under control between Scizor/Heatran and Dragonite.

That's all I have to say. Maybe try out Toxic > Earth Power on Heatran so you don't lose to last man standing Volcarona/Latias, but then opposing Heatran become more annoying so idk.

Wonderful team, and good luck buddy =)

Hey DracoNinja cool team!
Mixnite rocks, I remember playing this team and I was really surprised by Mixnite, it took down 2 pokes lol.
Like other people mentioned, Jellicent and Gastrodon are probably you're hugest problem, so you should consider running Toxic over Roar on Heatran. It realy puts a timer on both of them and it would help out a lot. I don't really see any other use for Earth Power than to hit opposing Heatran so I'd change Earth Power to Hidden Power [Ice]. Heatran is your main Dragon check atm and it has really no way to touch opposing dragons except for a lucky burn. It also checks SubCM Latias, another huge problem to face.

You should definitely go with Mike's EV spread for Starmie, a more bulky Starmie could help out a lot. Personally I'm not a great fan of HP Ice Terrakion, your team does fairly well against Donphan/Lando-T/Gliscor so it seems a waste of Evs in my eyes. I'd use Earthquake > HP Ice since Toxicroak can be a pain if played correctly.

Really solid team, good luck with it!

PO ps: make Starmie bulky RP Lando-I rips your team apart.
Thats the sole reason why I have Grass Knot on Thundurus-T, to kill Gastro D: Thanks for the moves on Heatran, I'll test it out!

Hi DracoNinja, wonderful team you have here.

I've been looking at this team for a while now, and the only real threat I could identify was Toxicroak. 5/6 of your team are OHKO'd by its coverage moves after a SD, while Scizor can't really do much back. Unless you start shifting a lot around, the simplest solution would be to fit Earthquake somewhere on Terrakion's move set. I know you really like HP Ice, so I won't touch that. Instead, I'd probably remove X-Scissor. You have pokes like Celebi already under control between Scizor/Heatran and Dragonite.

That's all I have to say. Maybe try out Toxic > Earth Power on Heatran so you don't lose to last man standing Volcarona/Latias, but then opposing Heatran become more annoying so idk.

Wonderful team, and good luck buddy =)
Ah yes, EQ over X-Scissor would solve my Toxicroak problem (didn't encounter even one on the ladder!).

Keep firing those rates~!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)