A Late Night Storm! (Peaked 1950 on PS!)

So, you thought I'd never be here making an Ubers team, eh? Well, wrong! I'm here to present possibly my best Ubers team, peaking 1430 on the Pokemon Online ladder, and 1950 on the Pokemon Showdown! ladder. Without further ado, let's get into the team itself.

Teambuilding

So, I wanted to start out by making a Rain team, because of Kyogre being such the dominate force it is. I went with a Scarf variant.

After that, I knew I'd need a solid rapid spinner, so I went with Excadrill. Sub Swords Dance Excadrill is a fun Pokemon, so I wanted to rest it out.

So, I knew I'd still need Stealth Rock, so I went with the largest pain I could find, Ferrothorn! With it's massive bulk, and ability at being a team player, it was an obvious pick.

Next, I wanted another sturdy wall that couldn't be broken; so I instantly thought "Lugia". Since it gets access to Multiscale, it's pretty much impossible to one-hit it from full. With it also getting Roost, you can just keep getting back up to full health, eventually stalling your opponent to death!

The next member came fairly quickly - Palkia. Due to it's massive Special Attack stat, ability to abuse Rain AND Sun, and having decent enough bulk, I wanted it. At first I used Haban Berry, but that changed later on.

I then realized I needed a Scarfer, so I went with a Scarfer that can work with any team - Genesect. With access to U-Turn, and a versatile movepool, I went with it, plus I really didn't need anything else.

After this, I realized my team was flawed, majorly. For starters, I was running a Genesect with a spread to speed tie with base 95 scarfers running a neutral nature. ._. I also realized Ferrothorn's spread was hideous, and that it was garbage. Then I learned Haban Palkia really isn't that good, and learned of specific Pokemon that crippled my team, so yeah, I went on a massive fixing spree.

Firstly, I made Ferrothorn fully Special Defensive, so Specs Kyogre was less of a problem. Then I gave Excadrill Stealth Rock instead of Substitute, and Ferrothorn Spikes instead of Stealth Rock, now my team was getting better.

Next, I made Palkia Choice Specs for mega wall breaking power. Then I replaced Genesect with Zekrom, as a better way to truck through Kyogre, and as a decent Sleep Foddering thing. I also replaced Lugia with Physically Defensive Giratina-O. This gave me a spin-blocker, as well as a reliable answer to Arceus-Extremekiller, and Offensive Groudon.

Finally, my last change was Special Defensive Kyogre instead of Scarf, so I had a better Ghostceus answer. Finally, the team was done, and I was having complete and utter success with it.

At A Glance!

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 SDef/ 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
- Rest

Meet the King of Ubers himself, Kyogre! Kyogre is arguably the best Pokemon in Ubers, for many reasons. For starters, he has a great amount of versatility, he's got an immense amount of bulk, and he hits like a freight train. I opted for the Special Defensive Rest Talk set for one and only one reason - Calm Mind Ghostceus. Ghostceus can set up relatively easy on this team, but since Kyogre can take unboosted and +1 hits for days upon weeks, it is stopped in it's tracks. Ghostceus also can't set up reliably against Kyogre because of Roar. Roar also helps though for fazing the opponent's team once I have at least Stealth Rock up, and a single layer of Spikes.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 196 HP/ 252 Atk/ 60 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin

- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

Oh Excadrill, how loved you are. Excadrill is on this team for many reasons. For starters, it's always going to set up Stealth Rock fairly easily, as the only common Stealth Rock setters that can take it on reliably are Offensive Lead Dialga, and Groudon, and even then I have my checks and counters to them. I love this set as well for a few reasons. For starters, spin blockers can't ever switch on safely because of Mold Breaker. No matter what, the only spin blockers that should ever be run in Ubers will get hit for at least 40% by an Earthquake. Another great thing about this set is if I predict them to try and block my spin, I can set up a Swords Dance in their face on the switch, and then smash them the next turn with a +2 Earthquake. Easy, right? My spread is quite easy to explain, as well. I run just enough speed to outpace any base speed 95 Pokemon with no speed investment. I tossed the rest into HP, because this let's me take an unboosted Focus Blast from an Arceus-Ghost at full. Quite the convenience.

Palkia @ Choice Specs
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd/ 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder

Honestly, am I required 3 lines of description for a Specs Palkia? Fine, Palkia acts as the wall-breaker of the team. With it's already sky high special attack, backed up with Choice Specs shoots it to unimaginable levels. Hydro Pump and Draco Meteor are obvious - great STAB moves that wreck everything in their path. Fire Blast is for abusing Sun if the opponent sets it up, and it also torches Forretress, Ferrothorn, and the occasional Scizor, even in the Rain. Thunder is for solely abusing Rain, and it let's me smack Kyogre in the face more reliably and harder than Draco Meteor.

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Spd/ 252 Atk/ 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Sleep Talk
- Volt Switch
- Outrage

This thing is an absolute monster. Zekrom already holding a massive 150 base Attack, backed up with more speed with the Choice Scarf, what more can you ask for? Bolt Strike and Outrage are very obvious - great STAB moves that should always be used on Zekrom. Volt Switch was included because as a replacement to Genesect, I needed Zekrom to be able to provide the same pivot switching abilities it could do with U-Turn. Sleep Talk is very helpful as well, because it let's me sleep fodder this guy to Darkrai's voids if needed.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 SDef/ 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed

Ferrothorn is honestly just a great Pokemon overall. I love to use it in OU, and in Ubers as well. This is mainly due to it's fantastic bulk, and it's ability to be a team player with it's arsenal of support moves. My spread is very obvious and standard for Ubers, Max HP and Special Defense so I can tank Specs Water Spout well from Kyogre, and retaliate with either a T-Wave to cripple it, or use Power Whip to make Water Spout do nothing. Spikes is obvious, residual damage on grounded opponents. Thunder Wave is great for crippling fast switch ins such as Mewtwo, Darkrai, Kyogre variants, etc.

Giratina-O @ Griseous Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ SDef
Impish Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-o-Wisp
- Roar
- Dragon Tail

This is the glue to my team, Giratina-Origin forme. Giratina holds the team together for many reasons. One, it spin-blocks, which is a MUST for this team. Two, it checks Offensive Groudon. This is HUGE because if Groudon gets up a Rock Polish and I can't burn/faze it out, it's pretty much an auto-loss for me, because if Sun is up, NOTHING survives. Will-o-Wisp is for crippling heavy hitting Physical attackers, such as Arceus-N, Groudon, and it helps for wearing down Ferrothorn as well. Shadow Sneak helps get clutch kills on low health opponents, and priority is always nice. Dragon Tail/Roar are for fazing out set up opponents, or for wracking up damage from hazards.

Threat List!

Major Threats

Ho-oh

Absolutely NOTHING switches in safely to this thing. My only resist to both it's dual STAB moves is Zekrom, and even then, it can't risk the burn or potential Earthquake.

Kyurem-W
Same story with Ho-oh, I can't easily switch in to it. Best way to play around it is hope it's not scarfed, and set up hazards early and quickly.

Rayquaza
Let's be honest, Rayquaza is a threat to all teams, just because of it getting V-Create and Earthquake. This makes it so nothing can switch in to wall it's Dragon STAB, whilst being able to take it's other hits easily. With this, force it out as much as you can and hazards play a HUGE role with taking down the Sky Snake.

Minor Threats

Arceus-N
Even though I have Giratina-O to take the blunt of the attack, Lum Berry Arceus is still an issue, just because of Will-O-Wisp's shaky accuracy, and Shadow Claw doing a solid 45% to this guy. Best way to play around is to scout for Brick Break, and if it doesn't have it, go to Ferrothorn and Leech Seed.

Arceus-Ghost
Well, this is a bit less of a threat than the others, just because they tend to run bulkier spreads. If you have Rocks up and aren't needing to spin anymore, go to Excadrill before it can set up and get some damage off with Earthquake. You can take at least one Focus Blast guaranteed, as long as you are at full health.

Playing with the team!

Basically, the general idea of the team is to stack hazards, keep them up with spin-blocking, and pressure the team with heavy hits from Zekrom and Palkia. Almost always lead off with Excadrill, as long as the opponent doesn't have Dialga or Groudon. If they do, lead with Kyogre and Scald turn one. But the main thing is, get hazards up as quickly as possible. If your opponent leads with something like another Ferrothorn, set up Spikes early, and then go to Excadrill, either set up Rocks or spin depending on what your opponent has.

Well, this is the team! I hope you like it and if you want to test it, I'm sure you'll be able to get 1700+ relatively easily.

Importable
Kyogre @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Roar

Palkia @ Choice Specs
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak
- Roar
- Dragon Tail

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Outrage
- Bolt Strike
- Sleep Talk

Last edited:
Though, I'm curious as why you have two sleep talkers on your team?
I have two sleep talkers for an easy to explain reason - Zekrom honestly doesn't get a better filler move, and Kyogre is meant to take on things like Calm Mind Ghostceus and Darkrai, so it's not unlikely I'll be asleep.

steelskitty

you deserve so much more than this
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Wow, this IS a pretty nice team. I personally like your defensive synergy: it's difficult to spot any weakness to one particular move type. Though, if Ghostsceus gives you a bit of trouble, you could potentially swap out Zekrom's Sleep Talk for Crunch. You DO lose a second potential sleep absorber, but the extra coverage against the plethora of Psychic, Dark, and Ghost Types in Ubers might make it worth it.

Just at a glance, a fast Dragon with a Fighting-type move seems to really dominate your team. Something like Specs Dialga (even though it's somewhat uncommon) could potentially murder a bunch of stuff and pave the way for a Normal Arceus sweep. A Draco Meteor from one of those is an easy OHKO on Giratina-O, and Dialga could still take out Palkia or Zekrom if they switch in to kill it, regardless of the Sp. Atk Drops. The only thing really threatening it is Excadrill, but even then Dialga outspeeds it and kills it with Aura Sphere, assuming Dialga's running any speed.
(252+ SpA Choice Specs Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 836-986 (165.87 - 195.63%) -- guaranteed OHKO)
(252+ SpA Choice Specs Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zekrom: 836-986 (244.44 - 288.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO)
(252+ SpA Choice Specs Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Palkia: 714-842 (222.42 - 262.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO)

But I'm here to offer a Magic Bullet: a problem that easily dispatches of everything on your Threatlist, even the new threat of specs Dialga. Scarf Terrakion!

Scarf Terrakion easily murders all of your majorly bothersome Pokes, and is an incredibly useful and underrated Pokemon itself. It easily smashes its way through Rayquaza, Kyurem-W, AND Ho-Oh with Stone Edge alone. In addition, it doesn't care about Normal Arceus at all, because it can outspeed, Close Combat, and it resists Extremespeed. Also, its nearly unresisted Dual STAB Coverage (which remains surprisingly effective in Ubers) can give you the edge against all sorts of unexpected stuff.

However, there's a problem with using Terrakion: what do you switch out of your team for it? If you switch out Excadrill or Ferrothorn, you lose your Spinner or Hazard setter. Switching out Scarfrom means you've lost a significant amount of power, a sleep fodder, and a Volt Switcher. Switch out Palkia and there goes your wallbreaker, and switch out Giratina-O and there goes your wall. I'm guessing that switching Kyogre is out of the reason for obvious questions.

Luckily, there's a Pokemon that seems to fit right into your team: Swift Swim Kabutops. In addition to having a huge surprise factor to inexperienced players, it can reliably Rapid Spin and has nearly unresisted coverage. I'd recommend swapping it out for Excadrill: you do end up losing an easier way to set up rocks and a slightly more reliable spinblocker, but you get the tradeoff of a really powerful lategame cleaner and all-around surprise to inexperienced people. Also, they have similar weaknesses, so the transition shouldn't be too hard. I run 252 atk/252 speed with Adamant and a Life Orb. Waterfall/Stone Edge/Low Kick/Rapid Spin works quite well. A bunch of people don't expect you to Rapid Spin (and thus will likely not switch to a spinblocker) and those that do expect you to Spin will end up getting smashed in the face by a STAB, Rain-Boosted, Life Orb-Boosted Waterfall (or Stone Edge in the case of certain flying, centipede-ish spinblockers). Also, Kabutops reliably kills all of your threatlist (except for Rayquaza due to Air Lock, though Scarf Zekrom sort of eats Rayquaza for breakfast, and Palkia also murders it if it outspeeds. They can't switch in, though) as it offers similar coverage to Terrakion. Stone Edge for the Ho-Ohs, Low Kick for the Kyurem-Ws/Dialgas/Normal Arceuses, and Waterfall deals a nice amount of damage to Ghostceus, if that's really a concern.

As a side note, Ferrothorn can probably set up rocks, though you'd have to sacrifice T-Wave or Leech Seed, both of which have their uses.

So that's my advice. Take it or leave it, your choice.

steelskitty

you deserve so much more than this
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Oh, sorry I forgot to mention this in the last post, but you could also potentially opt for a classic OU strategy with Terrakion: give it a Focus Sash and Rocks and slap it in the lead position. You'd still outspeed and kill your entire threatlist (with the exception of Normal Arceus if it's running max speed, but it usually doesn't) while also having essentially guaranteed rocks. Close Combat/Stone Edge/Stealth Rock/Sleep Talk would work (or maybe X-Scissor instead of sleep talk if you want the extra coverage against Psychics switching in). I'd opt for Jolly so you aren't outrun by the Latis unless they're Timid. Of course, then you don't have a Spinner, which might present a problem considering how much this team has to switch around in order to work. Also, Terrakion has to be in the lead position for Rocks to work effectively... otherwise, its focus sash is broken by any hazards, and it can't switch in due to fraility and a poor defensive typing.

Thanks for the rate. The issue with lead Terrakion is, I absolutely NEED a spinner for this team to function, due to the massive amounts of switches that usually occur while I play. And to be honest, I HATE Swift Swimmers. The major reliance on the rain for support just urks me in so many ways. But, I could potentially use lead Kabutops over Excadrill, for the sheer fact that as long as rain is up, rocks are guaranteed.

I like this team, but I would like to see a bulky Arceus-form to handle some of the threats you mentioned. CM Arceus-Grass fits pretty well and helps vs Palkia, which can comfortably come in on Kyogre, Excadrill, and Giratina-O after they get a KO. You would have to give up Spikes, but with Specs Palkia and Scarf Zekrom, I don't think you really need the extra damage since you already deal so much damage and put out so much pressure.

I like this team, but I would like to see a bulky Arceus-form to handle some of the threats you mentioned. CM Arceus-Grass fits pretty well and helps vs Palkia, which can comfortably come in on Kyogre, Excadrill, and Giratina-O after they get a KO. You would have to give up Spikes, but with Specs Palkia and Scarf Zekrom, I don't think you really need the extra damage since you already deal so much damage and put out so much pressure.
This issue is, if I ditch Ferrothorn, Dragons smash through this team with even more ease, and I lose the great synergy I have between Giratina-O and Ferrothorn. Spikes also are needed due to me only really having two heavy hitters, and anything else on my team hits more passively. Thanks for the rate, and I'll still test Arceus-Grass.

The team looks extremely solid. However, there are certain threats that pose major issues for your team. SD Rayquaza can easily rip through the team if Zekrom goes down. Not even Lugia can stomach a boosted V-Create after rocks. Also, popular SubCmers turn Ferrothorn into setup bait. Lati@s is a major issue as it outspeeds every member of your team besides Zekrom and it absolutely wrecks Kyogre/Lugia with Thunder and Giratina-O with Dragon Pulse. Rock Polish Groudon might be also a threat, switching in easily on Zekrom and nabbing a boost. If Giratina-O goes down, its pretty much GG from there. However, all in all it is an extremely well made team :D

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Shift gear gene seems painful especially if it sets up on ferro. Though other than that it looks fairly solid with no real weaknesses from common threats.

been released for the last 3 weeks or so and has been usable on ps since the day the actual event was released in jp.
Oh, well I have been gone for a few weeks so that's why I didn't know. And Giratina should be able to deal with it somewhat, barring will-o-miss or flinch.

The team looks extremely solid. However, there are certain threats that pose major issues for your team. SD Rayquaza can easily rip through the team if Zekrom goes down. Not even Lugia can stomach a boosted V-Create after rocks. Also, popular SubCmers turn Ferrothorn into setup bait. Lati@s is a major issue as it outspeeds every member of your team besides Zekrom and it absolutely wrecks Kyogre/Lugia with Thunder and Giratina-O with Dragon Pulse. Rock Polish Groudon might be also a threat, switching in easily on Zekrom and nabbing a boost. If Giratina-O goes down, its pretty much GG from there. However, all in all it is an extremely well made team :D
Thanks for feedback! As I said, Rayquaza is a HUGE pain in my ass, however it usually doesn't get to set up, and the DD variant is scarier if it can get 2 up. And Latias is walled by Ferrothorn, and paralyzed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)