Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Incidentally, so far I'm loving Pangoro's design. I really hate how Fairy seems to be churning out nothing but nondescript fuzzballs. Maybe the evolutions will be a little more promising, but right now with the exception of the retconned Pokemon, I've not been that impressed by any of the fairies barring the obligatory cover legend badassery of Xerneas.

Inkay reminds me of a Blooper from Mario, in a very positive way.

Incidentally, so far I'm loving Pangoro's design. I really hate how Fairy seems to be churning out nothing but nondescript fuzzballs. Maybe the evolutions will be a little more promising, but right now with the exception of the retconned Pokemon, I've not been that impressed by any of the fairies barring the obligatory cover legend badassery of Xerneas.

Inkay reminds me of a Blooper from Mario, in a very positive way.
one is a (masked?)bird, one is a flower sprite, one is a ball of fluff, one is a fox...thing

they seem pretty distinct & varied, design wise honestly

Hey if that perfume bird evolves into a Flamingo then I can forgive game freak.

I won't be happy if it evolves into just a flamingo. Yes it would be a somewhat logical transformation as it already has some of the characteristics of one, but I won't be happy if they don't also expand on the original's theme. The more interesting the evolutions, the better.

one is a (masked?)bird, one is a flower sprite, one is a ball of fluff, one is a fox...thing

they seem pretty distinct & varied, design wise honestly
I think the problem is that one could argue that most of the new Fairy types look like they could also be background critters from a 1980's My Little Pony movie. Deck may be saying that he's hoping for some deviations from the obviously soft, rounded shapes and forced lighthearted ethereal-ness that Sylveon, Swirlix, Flabébé, and Spritzee are all starting to cover as a group of new Pokémon that share the same type.

Skrelp looks similar to the horsea line...I'd be amazed if the final evolution was a poison dragon although that's farfetched..

well i dunno man, like, water types tend to look like goddamned fish of some kind, fire guys look like they are on fire or something, etc. so maybe fairies are supposed to look like cutesy fairy dudes. Like dark types are the emo guys all dark and stuff and Fairies are like the opposite of that and all bright and annoying and stuff. Having a pokeman type that is supposed to be annoying would be kinda a downer I guess but whatever.

well i dunno man, like, water types tend to look like goddamned fish of some kind, fire guys look like they are on fire or something, etc. so maybe fairies are supposed to look like cutesy fairy dudes. Like dark types are the emo guys all dark and stuff and Fairies are like the opposite of that and all bright and annoying and stuff. Having a pokeman type that is supposed to be annoying would be kinda a downer I guess but whatever.
Explain Mawile. Steel types are usually brittle characters with either a mostly tough/metallic hide or have blades/spikes/claws made of metal. The most Mawile would have on it's body that's at least as hard as metal is her hair-teeth and an iron grip.
I like the obvious variants to the unwritten type design clauses, and I want there to be one for Fairy types.

Explain Mawile. Steel types are usually brittle characters with either a mostly tough/metallic hide or have blades/spikes/claws made of metal. The most Mawile would have on it's body that's at least as hard as metal is her hair-teeth and an iron grip.
I like the obvious variants to the unwritten type design clauses, and I want there to be one for Fairy types.
Perhaps you should look to your Legendary counterpart?
I do agree though, I'd kinda hoped "Fairy type" wouldn't just mean "super cutesy type" but for the most part that seems to be their direction so far. Then again, the evolutions of the currently revealed Fairies might balance things out.

I do agree that there is a general feel for each type. Then again, it's kind of a given if you take it from the angle that they are designed to fit type characteristics, or are typed according to what they look like/ act like / do. It wouldn't make visual sense to make a Charizard a water type for example. Fairy types just seem to have that Cutesy/beauty thing going on. It was a good idea to include the type when the theme for the region as a whole is beauty I guess.

I have honestly never understood Mawile... I should probably look into it seeing as it's not a bad looking Pokemon IMO.
the exception to the the fairy rule might be Spritzee's evolution...

This seems like a likely hood to me.. and wouldn't it be lovely. Although, the hat looks a bit much.

EDIT: Fan art from http://anxious-chimera.deviantart.com/ If I'm not supposed to post the link to the original I apologize, you always have to credit the artist in these things IMO.

Perhaps you should look to your Legendary counterpart?
I do agree though, I'd kinda hoped "Fairy type" wouldn't just mean "super cutesy type" but for the most part that seems to be their direction so far. Then again, the evolutions of the currently revealed Fairies might balance things out.
There's a reason I didn't consider Jirachi when I was making my argument about Pokémon whose design breaks the norm that others of their type follow. Legendaries are differeeeeent...and I think it's rude to count legendaries in on most statistics revolving around certain groups of Pokémon that they may fall under, especially when one is talking about design norms and other related art stereotypes. As an example, Palkia is registered as "purple", which is uncommon for both Dragon and Water types, but he's legendary and was created based on a very grand origin in contrast to most other Pokémon that share either one (or both. Thanks, Kingdra) of his types.
Xerneas himself, though...while he could have easily been a meatier slightly taller looking Sawsbuck, which would have lended to less prominent posing and more natural, rounded features, he uses an otherworldly regality in his design that may come with the theming of Fairy types as they evolve. However, I think Xerneas only gets that royal otherworldliness and advanced ethereal aura because he's a box legendary, and he has a role to fill other than being a new Pokémon or an interesting new version exclusive. His status is why he's so different from the other native Fairy types, where Mawile was quite common in RS and wasn't being treated like anything special.

^ Since when was Mawile common? It's found in Victory Road and Granite Cave, correct? It's also not in Sapphire at all.

As-is, I think that's part of it, but I do believe that Game Freak is also trying to get the message out that fairy =/= cutesy or girly, necessarily. I certainly wouldn't consider Gardevoir to be cute, and I would consider Xerneas to be quite elegant as well. Sure, I wouldn't give the typing to something like Hydreigon, which totally exemplifies a brutal dragon with its typing reflecting that nicely, but it shows that 'fairy' has many meanings - it can be cutesy tinkerbells, elegant and ethereal beings, or even conniving tricksters that sneak up on travellers lost in the woods. There's a lot of variety, and while Nintendo has never been one to test social waters, I'd hardly call the company bigoted or stereotypical. They're also not required to broadcast new typings with the box legendaries - which of Ho-Oh, Lugia, or even Suicune are Dark or Steel-types? Thought so.

lol yeah I don't remember Mawile being common. Sounds more like one of the Pokemon I might forget even existed if I wasn't reminded of it. But whatever the case I still think Mawile is the exception to Fairy types looking like fairies. Like all happy and bouncy and stuff. Just like how there are water types that don't look like fishies of course there will be fairies that don't look pink/happy/whatever.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think the problem is that one could argue that most of the new Fairy types look like they could also be background critters from a 1980's My Little Pony movie. Deck may be saying that he's hoping for some deviations from the obviously soft, rounded shapes and forced lighthearted ethereal-ness that Sylveon, Swirlix, Flabébé, and Spritzee are all starting to cover as a group of new Pokémon that share the same type.
Yes, this is what I'm getting at. Thus far the fairies that aren't tied back to older generations (This includes Sylveon, since it's obviously going to be Eevee-like) seem to have a sphere at their base and then minor details drawn around it. Flabebe has a tiny body and little arms to attach to its flower, Spritzee is a vaguely avian fluff bird with Kirby feet, and Swirlix is a literal puffball.

Take Fire for example. Even in Gen I you had its representatives primarily from various mammals, Charizard actually being the notable exception. Another group with low representation was Electric, which had high variations - Magnemite actually departed from being vaguely spherical when it evolved. Ghost and Dragon didn't really get a fair range of diversity until Gen III, but even in those gens the pokemon that made up the group were fairly diverse.

Most of the Gen V Fairy Pokemon look like they'd start a "How to Draw" with "First, Draw a Big Circle..." That's really what I'm getting at.

lol I played Ruby, so I had a beautiful Mawile to give all my lovins to. And you can also find them in the Cave of Origin and Sky Pillar as well, all the same places you could find Sabeleye in Sapphire (I forgot for a minute that they were a pair of version exclusives). But unless Mawile's getting an evolution, I don't wanna dwell on the species all night.

Hey guess what that is

It's Not Pokemon XY: Don't Talk About It Version
Another version!? This is something we should talk about!

Yeah; we don't even know if it's related to Pokémon yet, especially since it's some sort of collaboration (which could mean a crossover or something entirely different).

Given that there appears to be a shiny pony in that image, I'm betting Game Freak has a hand in a new Harvest Moon game, or some other game series that's been around for a long time that involves chibi animals.
We're likely going to have to move along. Sorry bout it.

I really wonder what is SO big that they can call it "the scoop of the century". I mean that would mean bigger then fairy, pokemanz in 3D, double/trple/rotations etc etc. I just wonder if it's a competetive change or a gameplay change, since we are focused on competetive mostly but forget the non competetive aspects sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)