Ability Exchange (AE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This looks like a lot of fun. I have one question, though. If I recall correctly, Technician Roserade is unreleased. Does this mean that swapping Technician from a Roserade is currently illegal?

Edit- Might as well add my team since I played my first match. The ability choices might seem strange but they worked well for me.

Breloom: Guts or Iron Fist
Mamoswine: Technician
Celebi: Mummy
Cofagrigus: Natural Cure
Conkeldurr: Unnerve
Haxorus: Thick Fat

Earth Power and Focus Blast, two other common attacking options for Hydreigon, also get the free boost of Sheer Force.

Other thoughts:
Scarf Snow Warning Landorus-T: easily decimates Ninetales and Sun teams in general
Choice Band Chlorophyll Terrakion: pair it with a sun setter for a top-tier sweeper!
Hippowodon and Slowking swap Sand Stream and Regenerator.
Flash Fire Ferrothorn (fun in hackmons)
Guts Terrakion/Justified Conkeldurr

EV

Banned deucer.
The only thing I would say about Slowking is he's still going to take residual sand damage even with Sand Stream. I think you should fit a third Pokémon in the mix, like Rhyperior? or another Rock-type that would like the boost to Special Defense.
Hippowdon- Regenerator
Slowking- Solid Rock
Rhyperior- Sand Stream
or whatever, you get the idea.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Earth Power and Focus Blast, two other common attacking options for Hydreigon, also get the free boost of Sheer Force.

Other thoughts:
Scarf Snow Warning Landorus-T: easily decimates Ninetales and Sun teams in general
Choice Band Chlorophyll Terrakion: pair it with a sun setter for a top-tier sweeper!
Hippowodon and Slowking swap Sand Stream and Regenerator.
Flash Fire Ferrothorn (fun in hackmons)
Guts Terrakion/Justified Conkeldurr
That's banned, but you can run Chlorophyll without sun, however, I'm sure.

And yeah, Slowking with Solid Rock sounds pretty good, since it's a weaknesses are a hindrance to it's Specially Defensive role.

SpartanMalice

The tricky thing about Technician is that outside of Smeargle, most of them are also fire weak. And two pokes weak to fire on your team is kind of a hindrance... unless you run Heatran/Chandy and give Flash Fire to one of them, I guess.

Ok, so I'm going to try out a stall team. At the moment, I have a core of Regenerator Landorus-T / Regenerator Amoonguss (Originality!!!) / Intimidate Slowbro. I'll probably be using Heatran as my 4th member, so I'm thinking of who I want to add next to try to help Heatran out. I'm thinking either a Levitator or a Storm Drain/Water Absorb user. Thoughts?

SpartanMalice

Speaking of stall, here's one more thing about Prankster: Anything with better defenses than sableye and access to recovery and possibly eviolite can abuse it much better than he could have. P2 comes to mind again and even pokes like Mew/Celebi since they have 100/100/100 defenses (only things that come to mind right now).

I still think Slowbro's better with Regenerator, but that does sound nice. Levitate is generally better since you don't have to run Gastrodon, and specially defensive Heatran can take water hits in the sun while abusing Levitate, but either one works.

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Poison Heal Regigigas/Slaking and Ninetales
Most used Pokémons in this tier. By far.

Oh and Charcoal Sun STAB Ninetales Fire Blast with Victory Star
That is going to hurt.

SpartanMalice

Ninetales is mostly dead weight for me.
The most used pokemon in this tier AFAIK are: Gigas, Slaking, and Porygon2.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Why not use Flamethrower/Heat Wave/Fire Blast over Fiery Dance? Sheer Force also works on them and they have higher Base Powers than Fiery Dance's ""measly"" 80.
Because I forgot about those options. Gotta love my memory :L

I can see accelgor being a threat here. It is an excellent abuser of abilities like download or sheer force, and (more importantly) can pass off the coveted hydration.

EV

Banned deucer.
^I was just glad Ninetales outsped with a Choice Scarf and OHKO'd with Overheat!

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, can you please ban Regigigas and Slaking now? Both of them are utterly ridiculous and make the meta both uncompetitive and entirely not fun. I just played a match where I happened to get a burn against my opponent's Slaking because Flame Body Slowbro is incredibly .trl, and it still managed to boost and nearly sweep me. The only reason why it /didn't/ sweep me was because I managed to Roar it out with my Heatran who was left at about 8% after Leftovers. Beforehand, it had managed to take out my Gliscor and Mamoswine, and it left my Slowbro and Heatran nearly dead. Both of these Pokemon are entirely unmanageable for defensive teams, and since I like defensive teams, this is obviously rather undesirable for me. But the goal of any metagame should be to balance it to a point where every playstyle is as balanced as possible. If the tier is nothing but pure offense, it will grow really stale, and once people have used up a lot of the popular options, they'll just go back to OU for their hyper-offensive metagame.

Nothing on bulkier teams and just about nothing in general can reliably beat Regigigas and Slaking because of their insane Attack and fantastic bulk and Speed. I understand that you have to dump a bad ability of on something else, but basically any wall with nothing but special attacks doesn't care about Slow Start and the sacrifice of having to give something else Truant doesn't really matter when you can 6-0 defensive teams with just one of these Pokemon.

I would also like to add that Poison Heal Slaking / Regigigas are not only super strong, but pretty much impossible to wear down/kill, which makes checking it pretty much useless when it can just come back later. In addition, regarding the fact that you have to use bad abilities on your other Pokemon, you can just Skill Swap Traunt/Slow Start to another Pokemon. Skill Swap Traunt/Slow Start is more powerful than any status, and gives your Pokemon a good ability, AND even goes through Substitute. They are both really really ridiculous from matches I've watched, and I think Ability Exchange would benefit from both of them being removed.

By the way, this is an excellent idea for an OM. It's probably my favorite so far, so kudos for making it.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
I agree with the removal of Slaking and Regigigas. The one thing that made them NU was their ability, and when you give them an insanely good one like Poison Heal, Guts, or Hydration, it just makes them Uber-worthy to the highest extent. Not only that, you can Skill Swap Truant/Slow Start and cripple an opponent whether they like it or not.

I say ban slaking and gigas they have made my stop playing the om because if I don't put one on my team I lose if I do suddenly all of my other pokemon seem bad in comparison and when I face one I lose so please ban them and I would be very happy

well I decided to give the om another shot and came up with a fairly good team and here are the replays
replay 1 (lol forgot to take defeatist off of archeops but it was still good)
replay 2 (why multiscale should almost be banned)

Archeops Magic Guard
Victini Defeatist
Porygon2 Multiscale
Alakazam Victory Star
Dragonite Volt Absorb
Thundorus-T Download

New Bans:

Slaking and Regigigas

Also, @toxicroaker, I'd keep Victory Star on Victini and put Defeatist on Alakazam, since Victini is weak to rocks and has more fire power than Alakazam with V-Create spam. Just my opinion though.

There was a theorymon some time ago on OU sub-forum talking about Slaking with a useless ability and most people thought it was borderline between OU and Ubers even with Money Gather. Give it some useful ability and it's totally broken. Great defenses, immunity to status (if Poison Heal), and 160 base attack are too much for this metagame. 670 is a BST higher than some Uber behemoths, their Facades are stronger than Groudon's Earthquakes and Kyurem-B's Outrages, to give you a perspective.

Good things you decided to ban them soon.

With Slaking and Regigigas gone, Snorlax will probably be taking the torch as the go-to facade/poison heal user. While it's hardly as strong as its 670 BST buddies and lacks their decent speed, with access to curse, giant special bulk and a still good 110 base attack he's the prime candidate for the role. It can also pass thick fat to something which helps against sun and is pretty useful in general(especially in comparison to truant and slow start). It's also worth noting that with Slaking and Gigas banned people won't find poison heal mandatory to counter anymore. Purely theorymon, but defensive Curse/Protect/Facade/Earthquake poison heal Snorlax could be an incredibly tough nut to crack if you don't have something like skarm on your team.

Welp, it was fun while it lasted. Since it's banned now, I'll post the team I'd been using to great success. It only ever lost to Adrian Martin, but his Slaking had Poison Heal without a Poison Heal mon :P

Slaking @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Fire Punch
- Protect
- Substitute

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Truant
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Skill Swap
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Psyshock

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Substitute
- Roar
- Protect

Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Fire Blast
- Toxic
- Protect
- SolarBeam

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake

The basic setup gave me Sun, Levitate Heatran, Flash Fire Forretress (SO AMAZING), Guaranteed Rocks/Taunt from Gliscor, and Skill Swap Truant from Cress, plus Toxic Heal Slaking. Although I'm sad it's gone (it's so damn fun to use), it should breathe more life into the Metagame.

Also, Gengar was a fantastic counter to Slaking/Gigas, especially the SubDisable set. Too bad no one really tried it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)