Ask an Uber Question, Get an Uber Answer (Read FAQs in First Post Before Asking)

Ou is a joke and their banning process is just a steep slope so I'd just disregard what they say entirely.
As for sets, my point was if someone does propose a set other people can say whatever they want so that no one cares about any analysis for any Pokemon, item, or ability. It really doesn't matter to anyone what's in the analysis because of all the bad sets being put in, again, Scarf Deoxys-S?

Many players discover their own sets through playing, myself included, which differ from the on-site sets. If you discover a set that you feel is viable you can discuss it with others on IRC or on the forums for feedback. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, however, so if someone believes their set outclasses yours, you should not take it to heart.

Everyone is free to like or dislike whatever they want, so if a user dislikes ubers there is no reason to argue against them. There will be bias in every sub-forum for each metagame. If you ask longtime players like myself what my favorite tier is, I'll tell you ubers. But yet you won't see me talking about how great it is in the OU sub-forum. Therefore nobody acts like OU is the only tier, it just so happens to be the most played tier. Technically we are all playing made up metagames considering doubles is the only "standard" tier based on TPC.
Why should I have to discuss a set with the same people who turn down everything they didn't think of first, there isn't much of a point in that is there?

I'm not saying people aren't allowed to like/dislike something, but look at any article anywhere on the site and it will act like that. I wasn't talking only about the OU subforum, try asking on Showdown, and you will probably get someone saying the tier is screwed up beyond repair, someone else saying it is the only tier, and someone who complains about how they can't use their Charizard there unless they do everything Smogon says. While technically this whole tier system is made up, have you looked at some of the discussion there, people are talking as if Nintendo cares about "tiers" and things like "Nintendo should weaken Stealth Rock because it screws up OU."

No one cares about OU though, especially not them

Why can't you use the Genesect and Mewtwo from the extremespeed Genesect event on pokemon showdown? It's the one where Mewtwo gets Hurricane and Genesect gets blaze kick extremespeed and shift gear.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Why can't you use the Genesect and Mewtwo from the extremespeed Genesect event on pokemon showdown? It's the one where Mewtwo gets Hurricane and Genesect gets blaze kick extremespeed and shift gear.
You can use shift gear/espeed/blaze kick gene as long as it's shiny + hasty. It'll still say illegal but when you use it in an actual battle it will work

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Sorry if my question isn't exactly simple, but I'm a little confused about what's going to happen with testing Species Clause. The Intro to Ubers Testing thread said this:
bojangles said:
What We’re Gonna Test

Jibaku and I have devised an order of how we’re going to proceed. The general premise is that we’re going to go in order of how big a change we believe will be caused by the removal of a clause. The tentative order is as follows:
  • OHKO Clause
  • Evasion Clause
  • Moody Clause
  • Sleep Clause
  • All the Clauses Together (if any are voted to be uncompetitive and sustained)
  • Considerations Before Species Clause
  • Species Clause
  • Repeats
As you can see, we have quite an order here. It really gets interesting, though, when we broach the topic of Species Clause. Since this changes the game in ways that we probably can’t even imagine, we will be taking extra precautions in testing this – including a vote on whether we feel that the game is healthy enough to test it. The italicized votes will only happen if we go ahead and test Species Clause.
Since that was all sort of tentative, what exactly is going to happen? What kind of extra precautions are we talking about? Will there be something like a thread to discuss the effect of no Species Clause before we begin the test in earnest, or will there be something more involved than that? I'm just curious.

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry if my question isn't exactly simple, but I'm a little confused about what's going to happen with testing Species Clause. The Intro to Ubers Testing thread said this:

Since that was all sort of tentative, what exactly is going to happen? What kind of extra precautions are we talking about? Will there be something like a thread to discuss the effect of no Species Clause before we begin the test in earnest, or will there be something more involved than that? I'm just curious.
I would imagine that different ways/degrees of testing the Species Clause would be considered. As much as I tend towards open-mindedness, I don't see a full removal of the Species Clause ever being worth testing. While currently it is possible to build teams that have some form of check to most if not all the prominent threats in the metagame, playing around those you struggle with, and still having some win condition and game plan yourself, removing the Species Clause ruins this completely. Most current teams, even very well-built ones, would struggle to survive 2 Ekillers. Never mind a team of 6 Ekiller variants (even if you pack Skarmory, one Ekiller variant can run overheat, another might be a CB Arceus that cripples its counter with Trick, etc). The metagame would dissolve into a luckfest of how well teams match up, with well-rounded teams being good against well-rounded teams, while teams of something like 6 Ekillers will crumble to teams designed to beat Ekiller while still being able to do something to other teams.

Really, the only way I could see this working out in a way that doesn't ruin the metagame is maybe reducing the Species Clause limitation to 2 Pokemon (although even that feels like too much; some Pokemon are simply too strong when supported by the rest of the team). Alternatively, it could be considered to change the Species Clause so that it allows an alternate forme to be used on the same team (Deoxys-A+Deoxys-S, Kyurem-B+Kyurem-W, Arceus-Steel+Arceus-Ghost, etc). This could be fun and might increase the usage of some underappreciated Arceus formes or something similar, without overhwelming a team simply because it didn't happen to pack several counters to a certain Pokemon.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It really doesn't matter to anyone what's in the analysis because of all the bad sets being put in, again, Scarf Deoxys-S?

Scarf Deoxys-S is incredible. You outspeed everything up to +2 Groudon with standard EVs, meaning you can swiftly cripple it with a Choice Scarf which ends it. If you Trick the right Pokemon, as it is INCREDIBLY unpredictable, you can buy yourself free turns to setup Spikes or a setup Pokemon. I am updating Deoxys-S's analysis atm and the set is still in. It's probably not as good as the standard one in laying down multiple hazards, but Scarf Deoxys-S definitely has its niche.

A council meeting is going to be set and we will be discussing the effect of removal of Species Clause of the meta. We will look into aspects of competitiveness mainly. So you pretty much got it right, though there will not be a thread, there will be an IRC council meeting instead. We will let you guys know so you could come view or possibly participate in discussion.

Hey im new to uber and can you guys help me improve my team? It's cm arceus-ghost, focus sash deoxys-s, scarf kyogre, life orb kabutops, physically scarf genesect, and soul dew latias.

Two scarfers are not necessary, it lowers the team's strength vs rain stall, a team archetype rain offense has mild trouble with already. Try some other set on your Kyogre (specs, spec d, physically defensive, t-wave all have their merits). I'd go with specs personally. Looks pretty standard otherwise, and it will do good. Good luck!

While looking through the sections for each tier, I noticed that every tier besides Ubers has a "Nest Best Thing" thread. I was wondering why, because I tend to enjoy those threads and it's a bit sad to see that Ubers is lacking one.

While looking through the sections for each tier, I noticed that every tier besides Ubers has a "Nest Best Thing" thread. I was wondering why, because I tend to enjoy those threads and it's a bit sad to see that Ubers is lacking one.
We've tried similar things in the past, but at the end of the day those threads are basically just picking a good mon with a somewhat gimmicky set. I consider it the same as the "Creative Movesets Thread" which was active not to long ago, and spawned sets such as CM + Water Gem + Water Spout Kyogre. We discuss interesting and creative movesets on somewhat niche mons quite often on #ubers.

Just wondering, but is there any reason dragon pulse is never recommended as an alternative to spacial rend on palkia? I know it has a bit better power and high critical hit rate but missing a spacial rend when trying to revenge kill dragon dance rayquaza and such can really cost a game.

Actually it's a 10% drop in power so it's not something to completely ignore. I know I calc'd it at some point and, if iirc, Rend gets you the 2HKO on 252 Arceus.

Edit: I looked at the calcs again and you miss out on 2HKOs for SpDef Latias, Tina-A, and 252 Groudon while missing a OHKO on CB Zekrom, Mixed Tina-O and the 73% min to Thundy. (Along with the 6% extra crit percentage and the general power buff) Keep in mind though the Palkia analysis is REALLY outdated so there's not much point in nitpicking it.

Last edited:

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
which ubers is stronger: Arceus or Mewtwo?
Neither. They're 2 completely different Pokemon on so many different levels, and they're both very good in Ubers. But Mewtwo's base Special Attack of 154 is higher than Arceus' 120, so Mewtwo is "stronger."

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Hmmm... I think phazers are your best bet, obviously combined with a little hazard support. Lugia can tank an attack and phaze it out with Whirlwind (or stall it out with Toxic if you get the chance). Ho-oh can phaze it out too and can take hits well with its massive special defense (though it should be wary of Psyshock). It also hits really hard on the physical side, where Latias is pretty frail. Arceus-Steel should fare decently as well, being faster and resisting commonly used moves, and phazing it out with Roar. Ferrothorn can wall Latias without HP Fire, though will become setup bait if Latias isn't badly poisoned beforehand. Lastly, just revenge kill it. A lot of Choice Scarf users can take down Latias without a Subsitute up (e.g. Genesect, Zekrom, etc.)

What are stall's options against SubBoosting Latis?
Skarm or Lugia with Whirlwind, Perish Song/Roar Arceus or just try to take it down with Ferro's Gyroball.
Genesect works well too and can cover a lot of threats to stall teams.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
From what we know right now, no. Unless a mega-evo will have insane stats and +6 auto evasion we won't ban anything, lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)