Gen V STABmons

Status
Not open for further replies.

EV

Banned deucer.
^Yeah, Protect+V-create and sun support Combusken is at least suspect, for now. I'll do some more testing.

Swellow can also use Nature Power along with Flying STAB for unresisted coverage besides Bronzor, Rotom, Archen, Lunatone, Solrock, Eelektrik, and Emolga (I think? and I don't see them getting much use otherwise) and I'm sure it could still 2HKO them. I moved it to Banned.

Even though it doesnt get anything special from STABmons; in a meta where only mons with 450 BST max are allowed Choice Scarf Medicham wrecks holes. It can forego the unreliable HJK for Close Combat if you wish. Unlike Mienshao it doesnt have Regenerator to deal with the possible recoil and as a scarfer it doesnt care about the defense drops because it's defenses are weak anyway. It does hate priority tho.

Definitively, Combusken can do very well on the -450 BST mode, meaning it can cause some imbalances. Though there are some notable pokemons that can stop him (mainly eviolite mantyke and Lampent)
In addition to combusken, I think Bibarel is kinda overpowered as well. It can not only sweep on it's own due to the massive boosts gained by shell smash/stockpile + simple but also use baton pass in order to give the boosts to an even powerful sweeper. It has troubles on dealing with tangela, though.

I have been using banded Medicham, and I notice that Mach Punch is a godsend.

This tournament actually opened my eyes to see that many of the Pokemons i'm using are actually really good even without 450 and under rules. Even Munchlax has the niche of not caring against powerful ice/fire special attackers. Tangela is also amazing without the rules and can actually do really well, although idk if Tangela is better than Tangrowth. Granbull is also pretty cool who does well against many physical attackers.

EV

Banned deucer.
Something big is coming for this "tournament". I'll post more soon when I get home and edit the #454 post. I hope we can make it a real tournament, starting the 1st.

Jumpluff doesn't exactly have to run support, it now gets growth which means as long as Sun's up, it can run a decent mixed set, or a full on one sided attacking set since it doesn't have to use flying gem acrobatics anymore and has a pretty trolly speed tier. Outside of Spore, it now gets: Air Slash, Brave Bird, Seed Flare, Leaf Storm, Horn Leech... all of which can be useful.

After setting up sun, Spore, SD once, Flyng Gem Acrobatics with Horn Leech backup.

Can be used in the regualr STABmons meta as well, as it is faster than Sawsbuck under sun.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Yeah my bad it doesn't get Growth, I didn't realize at the time of that post that Growth wasn't a grass but normal move. <_< Which is BS.

Yeah but it lacks the firepower there. Here it could work.

EV

Banned deucer.
Something big is coming for this "tournament". I'll post more soon when I get home and edit the #454 post. I hope we can make it a real tournament, starting the 1st.
Actually, I'll just re-post here. This post amends and supersedes the earlier one (#454). Sorry for the confusion!

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~​
Coming August 1st . . .
(or a later date if necessary)

How does a multi-layered tournament for STABmons sound? Depending on the number of participants, the tournament will consist of four rounds each with their own unique twist.

It could work as a point system, where you are assigned an opponent for each round for 3 battles and gain points for each win. For example, if Player X and Player Y battle each other in Round 1 three times and X wins twice, he/she gains 2 points while Y gains 1. This would ensure that everyone gets a chance to play all four rounds (for a total of 12 games). The person with the most number of points out of 12 would win. A tiebreaker would result in a standard STABmon best-of-three game (or other means, we'll see).

Sample for Player X:
Round 1- Won 2 games, lost 1 = 2 points
Round 2- Won 3 games = 3 points
Round 3- Won 1 game, lost 2 = 1 point
Round 4- Won 2 games, lost 1 = 2 points
Total- 8/12

Of course this is all preliminary, as I have never hosted a tournament nor do I really know how to organize one (can you tell?) so I was just going to snatch up the format most often used in OM (see Doubles/BH tourneys) with some alterations of course. Please provide input with ideas to make this better! And thank you!

*A note on the rounds*: The bans are in place so threats that have already risen in standard STABmons don't overpower their respective group. Suspects are Pokémon that are still powerful and limited to one per team since more than one would generally give that player the upper hand in most cases.

Round 1:
450 and Under Club
Banned: Chansey
Azumarill
Sableye
Wobbuffet
Swellow

Suspect: Bibarel
Medicham
Smeargle
Auto-weather (Vulpix, Hippopotas, Snover)
Combusken

Round 2:
451 to 499 Club
Banned: Forretress
Sawsbuck
Whimsicott
Ferrothorn

Suspect: Staraptor
Darmanitan
Kangaskhan
Tauros
Stoutland
Bouffalant

Round 3:
500 to 599 Club
Banned: Drizzle
Drought
Sand Stream
Blaziken

Suspect:

Round 4:
600 and Up Club

• Standard STABmons rules except OU Banlist is lifted
  • All Pokémon must have a BST of 600 or higher (http://pastebin.com/cQcGzMmD)
  • 1 Suspect allowed per team
Banned: Arceus

Suspect:

Proposed Round 5:
Anything Goes Club

• Standard STABmons rules except OU Banlist is lifted
  • All Pokémon must have a BST of at least 1
  • 1 Suspect allowed per team
Banned: Arceus

Suspect:

Tentative Participants:
The Eevee General
Harbinger of Peace
Spartan Malice
Level 51
The Reptile
Mr Omgness
Adrian Marin
Zapteryx
Toxicroaker
TheBurgerKing99
PokemonMasterDebater
Pikachuun
Keldeo DeArtagnan

Stay tuned. More to come...

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
That sounds like a good idea, especially because STABmons has the playerbase to pull this off. I'd join!

I'd have to ask a few questions, though — with the separation of the Pokemon by BST tiers, and the inclusion of banned Pokemon, this means that Pokemon like Chansey, Wobbuffet, Forretress and so on will never get to be used at all, even in the higher tiers. Thus I propose that after the 4th round comes another round where all Pokemon are allowed, including Ubers (but with Arceus banned, the plates would present a big problem). It'd be a chance to see how Pokemon like Sawsbuck and Whimsicott fare among arguably better Pokemon, especially now that better weather-inducers are available (this would mean that while Sun may be even stronger than usual, Rain will be similarly buffed to contend with it). Furthermore the OU banlist being lifted means that Moody/Evasion/DrizzleSwim will be allowed... prepare for some massive fun with Bibarel!

There is a really small pool of pokemon for the 450 Club. I think the 500 Club will be the best.So many pokemon in the lower tiers. Also, you said for the 500 Club, (and others) that only pokemon in between 451 and 500 were allowed. Does this mean we can't use pokemon with a lower BST?

SpartanMalice

Isn't Moody banned even in ubers though ? The rest would likely work, though.

And yeah Harbinger, he did mention that they must be in between those numbers so I'd assume the ones before weren't allowed. Shame cause Swellow would be nice in the 451-500 zone, though Staraptor's just as good.

canno

formerly The Reptile
If we're still talking about the tournament, I would definitely join it if it became a thing.
I haven't posted recently though, and I haven't played in forever, but whatever. :I

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Isn't Moody banned even in ubers though ? The rest would likely work, though.
Technically it just says that the OU banlist is lifted, not that the Ubers banlist is implemented... isn't it great to find loopholes? ^_^
Anyway I was just thinking about the round 4 banlist, and I think Normal-types might be a bit overpowered. Look at this:
-Regigigas @ Leftovers [Slow Start]
-Minimize/Protect/Return/Earthquake
Thanks to its Normal STAB, Regigigas has a good chance of overcoming Slow Start with Minimize + Protect. Then it can probably actually do some okay damage with Return and Earthquake !_!
-Regigigas @ Leftovers [Slow Start]
-Lovely Kiss/Roar/Recover/Return
Makes a good equivalent of the Spore + Roar combination from Balanced Hackmons with a slightly less accurate Sleeping move.
For more accuracy:
-Sawsbuck @ Leftovers [Chlorophyll]
-Spore/Roar/Copycat/Return
In theory could act as a fast but unprioritized Riolu or as a slightly frailer Spore + Roar user. I don't see it doing much else though, unfortunately. Thankfully such havoc cannot be wreaked because its BST is below 600 ;_;

I have to admit all of this is theorymonning though, I guess I could try the three sets out though!

SpartanMalice

Even then though buck will still have negative roar priority, and it certainly can't take hits suppose the mon were to wake up, while gigas probably could.

Why isn't Politoed either banned or suspected for Round 2 ? It's BST is 500.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)