Gen V STABmons

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those looking for a V-create spammer, I highly recommend Entei. He acts like a middle ground between Darmanitan's power, Infernape's speed, and Flareon's access to ExtremeSpeed, while bringing his own bulk to the table as well. I'm really surprised at how well he's working out. Makes a good sleep absorber too with Sleep Talk.

Reactions: EV

EV

Banned deucer.
Yeah I've been thinking about Entei, too, and surprised he hasn't shown up.
I think though he is a case of jack of all trades, master of none syndrome. Not quite as powerful as Darm or Guts Flareon, not quite as fast as Infernape, and the defensive drops from V-create mitigate any bulk he holds over them (to an extent). He does pack ESpeed, like Flareon, which is a nice 1-2 combo if something survives the initial V-create. Crunch is good for Jellicent, who does survive that combo. (He really doesn't learn Crunch??)

think i might consider Arcanine as well, not quite as fast or hard hitting, but packs better coverage and has an easier time switching in with Intimidate/Flash Fire

EDIT: WTB meta where Arcanine doesnt outclass Entei

I just tried out STABmons and I have to say it is AMAZING! Really cool new twist at the metagame.

Here is my team, not sure if it's any special but I just used stuff that I thought would work well together and check the common threats. I've won all my matches so far and it seems to do just fine:

Sableye (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Spd / 8 Def
Jolly Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Dark Void
- Foul Play
- Taunt

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 72 Spd / 184 HP
Adamant Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Outrage
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Spacial Rend
- Hurricane
- Outrage
- Hydro Pump

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Spikes
- Toxic

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 240 HP / 220 SDef / 48 Def
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn
- Gyro Ball

Is anyone else getting tired of seeing Belly Drum and Shell Smash Espeed everywhere? Ursaring and Sableye can pretty much beat all of them without too much trouble but it's really getting pathetic how almost every team has some form of smashpass or belly drum abuser. It gets pretty boring laddering when you have to devote half of your team to check and counter all these huge threats. You basically have to run Sableye, Ursaring and a sleep talker / magic bouncer, or you'll get ravaged by SS/BD HO teams. It leaves you with 3 slots with which to experiment and test new strategies. I don't think a ban is necessary yet but if the meta degenerates entirely into who can SS/BD first or teams of 5 BD/SS abusers and a Forretress, the novelty of STABmons will wear off.

The ladder is still pretty young though. Someone might find an easier way to deal with this stuff. Perhaps the ladder will mature and give birth to a more interesting meta.

The STABmons ladder still doesn't seem to have a solid answer for stall yet, besides band kyu-b... And Calm Mind Xatu apparently, fuck. Since when do people use that?

Last edited:
I tried out STABmons yesterday, and I've decided it and CAP are my favorite metas. I like metagames which offer more freedom without pigeonholing you into certain choices like hackmons does. I've been doing some randoms and battles with friends and done decently with the three teams I've assembled so far.

Also, [insert obligatory first post greeting here]

Reactions: EV

EV

Banned deucer.
I tried out STABmons yesterday, and I've decided it and CAP are my favorite metas. I like metagames which offer more freedom without pigeonholing you into certain choices like hackmons does. I've been doing some randoms and battles with friends and done decently with the three teams I've assembled so far.

Also, [insert obligatory first post greeting here]
Welcome!

So, what are your teams based around? Any specific strategies you've been testing? How are you handling Guts Ursaring?

Welcome!

So, what are your teams based around? Any specific strategies you've been testing? How are you handling Guts Ursaring?
My first team was kind of scattered, and basically based around my excitement at actually using a physical ice type move on Kyurem-B. I also adapted the Work Up Meloetta set I run in UU, and it performs pretty well. My next team had more purpose, being offensively focused and using DualScreens/Memento Latios to give Melo/Sawsbuck/Lilligant a free setup.

Funny you should ask about Ursaring. It's my biggest problem so far, and I'm not exactly sure what to use to counter it. What are the common checks?

Funny you should ask about Ursaring. It's my biggest problem so far, and I'm not exactly sure what to use to counter it. What are the common checks?
I've been running sub+disable Gengar to keep Ursaring in check since they usually only carry crunch as their way to hit ghosts, so i can force the switch and gain a free sub to help scout.Also, I've also had success running Chandelure to out speed and KO either with fire stab or destiny bond, but specially defensive politoeds can come in and ruin its day

I've been running sub+disable Gengar to keep Ursaring in check since they usually only carry crunch as their way to hit ghosts, so i can force the switch and gain a free sub to help scout.Also, I've also had success running Chandelure to out speed and KO either with fire stab or destiny bond, but specially defensive politoeds can come in and ruin its day
Chandelure sounds like a good idea. I should probably be running more ghost types overall, since STABmons seems to be pretty centered around normal types, particularly ES.

The most important thing for me in all of my battles so far have been keeping my e-speeder around for longer than my opponent, and keeping my ghosts and steels alive as long as they have their e-speeder.

Ferro-Jelly walls ALMOST all of the shell smashers besides jolteon and espeon. Yes, I run flame plate jolteon with SS and judgment. The ferro-jelly core has been a staple to all of my STABmons teams. I like to run spore on ferro and scald and toxic with a combo of shadow force on jellicent. Shadow force is a great stalling move that does damage though and spore makes ferrothorn an annoying piece of crap. Hope I helped u shell smash haters. :] As another thing to say, I would like to show you guys my Electivire set. :D

Electivire@ Choice Scarf
~Volt Tackle
~Cross Chop
~Earthquake
~Ice Punch
Choice scarf makes Electivire a good revenge killer because of its coverage. Ice punch hits common dragons while Cross chop hits those not boosted normal types, ferrothorn, and Kyurem B. Earthquake is there for fire types and heatran, while Volt tackle is a massively powerful STAB move. I've been using this set to success lately which is kind of odd considering it's Electivire, but hey. :D

Last edited:
Just realised that SubDisable Regigigas is allowed. Doesn't sound like much, but it could stall for five turns with that combination, then sweep with ExtremeSpeed and a coverage move.

EV

Banned deucer.
I think Scrappy Kanga is bound to rise in usage once defensive cores like Ferro/Forry+Jelly get more popular. BD, ESpeed, Fire Punch, and EQ pretty much handles everything.

Landorus, Darkrai, Deoxys S/D, Tornadus-T, Thundurus and Excadrill are allowed. Speaking of Ubers, why isn't Blaziken unbanned also? What exactly does it get that would make it a problem? It doesn't even come close to the power of BD Espeed or Shell Smash sweepers. It'll probably get eaten alive by stuff like Ursaring and other priority.

Two things, blaziken is banned because of V-Create and speedboost, which was too scary for EV. Also, Darkrai is banned from the ladder right now, which it shouldn't be.

EV

Banned deucer.
I forgot about the Darkrai thing. I'll see what I can do.

About Blaziken, I felt that with a combination of Speed Boost+V-create (and Sun) it could really decimate a lot of teams. I know BD/SS/Guts ESpeed is probably more prevalent, but Blaziken doesn't really even need to setup, since it can Protect to get the +1 Speed and spam V-create (a 180bp move off 120 Attack).

If anyone feels differently and wants to give it a try, post it here. Also, if you want to play with V-create Blaziken you can in Round 5 of the STABmon tournament. See the master thread for more details on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)