Ability Exchange (AE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

breh

強いだね
Might as well post the pair that I abused to get Treecko to encourage banning Slaking:

Slaking @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Trait: Truant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Skill Swap
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Reuniclus with Truant is not really the best - occasionally, it's just death fodder for most of the game, sadly. It does manage to save your ass sometimes, as you occasionally manage to pass off Truant and steal a poison heal or something silly in return, which is cool and hilarious.

Magic Guard Slaking, though, is really goddamn impressive. I managed to get rid of half of Treecko's team while it was burned (granted, also while it was at +3, but it is really hard to do damage to slaking to begin with so setup is quite safe). Life Orb Double Edge has a power that you simply will not normally see in competitive Pokemon; to put it into perspective, Adamant LO Double Edge has a base power only a little bit off from a Timid Latios Choice Specs Draco Meteor. You get to fire off one of these for absolutely no cost EVERY TURN. Other people used Poison Heal, which makes Slaking pretty fucking difficult to kill. There's a reason the ability is given to mons with terrible defenses / mons weak to Water-type moves.

(looking back, those evs on slaking are hilariously inefficient...)

252+ Atk Slaking Facade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 135-159 (39.58 - 46.62%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Slaking Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 116-137 (34.01 - 40.17%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I'm gonna say that Toxic Heal > Magic Guard. It also can't be put to Sleep or Burned.

breh

強いだね
252+ Atk Slaking Facade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 135-159 (39.58 - 46.62%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Slaking Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 116-137 (34.01 - 40.17%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I'm gonna say that Toxic Heal > Magic Guard. It also can't be put to Sleep or Burned.

You can't run Life Orb with Poison Heal. 156 BP for your Double Edge (about a 1.1 boost) and 1.3x for the rest of your moves for free is worth it. Nothing tries to burn you but heatran.

By the way, I actually used Subdisable Gengar; I agree that it works really well. I particularly enjoyed pairing it with Storm Drain to fuck with Keldeo. +1 Gengar under a sub is a frightening beast.

You can't run Life Orb with Poison Heal. 156 BP for your Double Edge (about a 1.1 boost) and 1.3x for the rest of your moves for free is worth it. Nothing tries to burn you but heatran.

By the way, I actually used Subdisable Gengar; I agree that it works really well. I particularly enjoyed pairing it with Storm Drain to fuck with Keldeo. +1 Gengar under a sub is a frightening beast.

The beauty of SubDisable Gar was that only EQ could hit it, and then suddenly, it wasn't able to anymore :P

So, who do you guys think is the best abuser of Moxie in the tier? I'd probably go with Dragonite thanks to having a massive attack stat, an almost unresisted STAB, and access to Extremespeed.

So, who do you guys think is the best abuser of Moxie in the tier? I'd probably go with Dragonite thanks to having a massive attack stat, an almost unresisted STAB, and access to Extremespeed.
Tyranitar is a good abuser too, as it gets DDance and has really good bulk, but the weakness to a lot of Priority doesn't help it.

Ok, so this thread has begun to take a bit of a plunge activity wise, so to try to get some more activity, I (And some others, whom I will be contacting soon to see if they would like to help) will be hosting mini Ability Exchange tournaments on Joim's Lab every Saturday at 9:00 PM GMT -5. Simply PM me on Joim's with your Smogon username to join. Matchups will be PM'd to participants and posted here on this thread, along with replays of the battles. I hope everyone will come show off your strategies! And as for prizes, you can have all the bragging rights you want :P

I think I can get in, but don't make it last longer than an hour (if I calc'd right, it is 3 AM GMT +1)
I'll probably be changing it to an earlier time, but atm my schedule is pretty crazy so I need to make it at a time I'm 100% sure I can make. It should sort itself out soon though, so when that happens I will try to make them more convenient for everyone.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
well I am usually there at that time actually :P, I just want to make sure it is the right time and how long the tour would be :)

This is the first team I've made. Just posting it here for now because I can't seem to find anyone to battle.

Tyranitar
Trait: Sheer Force
Landorus-Therian
Trait: Sand Stream
Conkeldurr
Trait: Intimidate
Mamoswine
Trait: Technician
Roserade
Trait: Thick Fat
Starmie
Trait: Natural Cure

Ttar is standard DD with STABs and Fire Punch. Calcs say it's OHKOing things like uninvested Jirachi after rocks.
Lando-T is scarfed. With U-turn, I should have a much easier time winning weather.
Conkeldurr checks physical sweepers and things that want to KO TTar, recovers with Drain Punch. Need to figure out an optimal EV spread.
Mamoswine with rocks, Ice Shard, Icicle Spear and Bulldoze. Standard LO Adamant right now but I'm thinking of changing it into Jolly Sash.
Roserade standard Spiker, special tank, some offense.
Starmie is filler basically, but its offensive presence is valued.

Just had a few ideas I wanted to share in case this wins OMotM (which it should, damn those offstat people).

Sheer Force Gengar may be one of the best abusers of the ability. All of its main STABs and coverage moves are boosted. Its special attack makes it as powerful as Landorus and its speed lets it take out stuff like Keldeo and Terrakion. It should probably run Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt / Focus Blast along with Sludge Wave / Psychic / Sub / Hp Ice or Fire.

Levitate Drapion looks pretty solid too with no weaknesses, a good support movepool (tspikes, taunt, whirlwind) and decent defensive stats and speed.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Actually Gengar's more powerful than Landorus normally, so SF boosted Gengar is even more powerful. 665 SpA with Sheer Force LO after *1.3*1.3, though I think kazam does the job better due to better speed. Drapion could work, but I don't think he gets much resistances. I suppose he's a physical alternative to Raikou in that way, as Raikou has three resistances and no weaknesses with Levitate whereas Drapion has 4, though Raikou's resistances are more common.

Gengar has Tbolt and STAB Shadow Ball as well as superior defensive typing over Zam. Against stuff like bulky rachi and the other 2 steel/psychics, Zam has to rely on focus blast to get the 2hko, Gengar can just use shadow ball. SF Zam does have its merits though, like being able to beat Latios (reliably) and Starmie. Magic Guard is also a much better ability than Levitate to pass around.

But Raikou has a shitty support movepool. Drapion is the 3rd fastest tspikes user, can taunt and phaze.

SpartanMalice

Defensive typing doesn't really matter with gengar though as it's frail anyway. Zam's speed is kind of what give its the edge since it's using Life Orb anyway and relies more on moving first than surviving.

Well I was talking about Raikou as an offensive mon, Drapion can do both. Technically though, Sub Calm Mind with no weaknesses and the same amount of resistances means it can sponge quite a bit of special attacks, Drapion can use support moves effectively yes but I was referring to them as Tanks pretty much.

Gengar may be frail, but its defensive typing grants it immunities allowing it to switch in when Zam can't. Then it can proceed to sub on choice-locked fighting/normal moves, while Zam gets 2hko'd. And at least Gengar can sponge u-turns. The only u-turn strong enough to break its sub is CB Scizor's.

I wasn't implying that Drapion should be used as a tank since its HP is mediocre and it doesn't have the resistances of steels. What I meant was that with no weaknesses, it couldn't be checked so easily. But I think its main selling point would be its speed and movepool.

SpartanMalice

The thing is though by losing Levitate, it loses Earthquake immunity and EQ is as we know, very, very common. Ghost and Fighting immunities help though I guess.

I had a great idea, but this might not work very well :D

Own Tempo - Salamence (DD LO / Scarf Outrage)
Moxie - Dragonite (Extremespeed)
Iron Barbs - Cresselia (Had to put barbs somewhere, considering the bulk these could be useful)
Levitate - Heatran
Flash Fire - Ferrothorn
Multiscale - Slowbro ( Again had to fill a spot and with Slack Off & Scald this could work)

I had a great idea, but this might not work very well :D

Own Tempo - Salamence (DD LO / Scarf Outrage)
Moxie - Dragonite (Extremespeed)
Iron Barbs - Cresselia (Had to put barbs somewhere, considering the bulk these could be useful)
Levitate - Heatran
Flash Fire - Ferrothorn
Multiscale - Slowbro ( Again had to fill a spot and with Slack Off & Scald this could work)
Why not Regenerator on Salamence over Own Tempo? Regenerator could offset the SR damage it takes similarly to Tornadus-T and seeing as scarfed outrage still has you locked in and doesn't benefit from Moxie it seems like only a slight benefit in comparison to Regenerator. Own Tempo has more value on the DD LO set compared to the scarf though once again being locked in sucks while Regen patches up the LO recoil nicely.

Last edited:
Why not Regenerator on Salamence over Own Tempo? Regenerator could offset the SR damage it takes similarly to Tornadus-T and seeing as scarfed outrage still has you locked in and doesn't benefit from Moxie it seems like only a slight benefit in comparison to Regenerator. Own Tempo has more value on the DD LO set compared to the scarf though once again being locked in sucks while Regen patches up the LO recoil nicely.
Own Tempo is so you don't get screwed over my confusion after Outraging, making late game cleaning easier.

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Rotom-Wash- Drizzle
Politoed- Sturdy
Vaporeon- Iron Barbs
Heatran- Levitate
Ferrothorn- Flash Fire
Shuckle- Hydration

Start with the Rotom-Wash, summoning the rain. This guy gets Thunder, which never misses in rain, and Water moves for STAB and powered up in rain.
Next, Sturdy Politoed's just a filler. Most likely scarfed.
Vaporeon. My favorite OU wall. The Iron Barbs retaliates against physical attackers, which helps its low defenses.
Heatran + Levitate. Not much to say here.
Ferrothorn + Flash Fire. ^^^^^^^^^^^
Here's the wall. Shuckle: Rest plus Hydration in the rain is gonna be a problem. With Power Split, Toxic, and Gyro Ball to help out, Shuckle is now amazing.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Own Tempo is so you don't get screwed over my confusion after Outraging, making late game cleaning easier.
I'm aware about what it does and while I could be wrong I just think that Salamence could benefit from Regenerator more than own tempo since while Outrage doesn't confuse it still has the more serious side-effect of locking you in.

While I'm replying I might as well post the team that I'm currently undefeated with (Though then again I've only played 6 games with it so that's hardly a feat lol) that tries to explore with stall and anti-sun.

Chansey - Magic Bounce
Cresselia - Unaware
Forretress - Flame Body
Clefable - Natural Cure
Volcarona - Levitate
Espeon - Sturdy

Chansey: The sturdiest overall wall, Chansey walls almost any attempt to use any status moves and walls almost every weather team. Truly useful.
Cresselia: Straight from Balanced Hackmons, Unaware Cress is a true defensive behemoth that walls a grand majority of setup sweepers.
Forretress: I needed something to spin and lay hazards so I just picked this guy. Flame Body makes for nice burnhax in clutch situations.
Clefable: Necessary Unawaremon, lays up Stealth Rock, Heal Bells, and Knocks Off items. Also acts as a secondary special wall.
Espeon: Necessary Bouncer, I use trickscarf to cripple otherwise threatning sweepers. Sturdy is a very good asset for this since it means it won't die on switch-in and can actually get to trick.
Volcarona: I kind of just threw this guy on because I had no idea what to add. It makes the opponent expect it has Magic Guard with Clefable on the team which makes Unaware all the more surprising. A good clutch set-up sweeper.

This team is far from perfect so feedback would be fantastic :)

Rotom-Wash- Drizzle
Politoed- Sturdy
Vaporeon- Iron Barbs
Heatran- Levitate
Ferrothorn- Flash Fire
Shuckle- Hydration

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Very interesting team! You might want to add a strong physical attacker though since Chansey walls almost all of your offensive mons. Seeing as Heatran doesn't have STAB in rain, perhaps something like Scrafty could parhaps be a viable replacement. Shed Skin or Intimidate really seem like appealing options for Ferro/Forry or other team members.

You also lack a spinner which isn't that concerning but would benefit Shuckle alot. Ferrothorn could be replaced by Forretress for its ability to spin and lay down the hazards you lack by removing Heatran.

I hope my suggestions help!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)