Pokémon Great to Hate

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
(Idea totally not stolen and reversed from the hate to great thread)

Let's compare this to MCDonalds. You're eating MCDonalds and it tastes nice, 6 years later and you're fat from eating too much of it and then quit MCDonalds and go on a diet.

You're using this pokemon, you love it, he has this bad ass design that you adore, 6 years later you get your old emerald (idfk) out and see this pokemon on it. You trade over the other 5 pokemon to your older games but leave the pokemon talked about earlier on the game whilst you delete the data.

What happened? What pokemon was it? What scenario is it for you?

For me it is celebi, it is a habit of mine to use celever (cele (bi) (sno) ver) because I used to adore celebi. The movie the he was in was my third try at pokemon (after red and pokemon the first movie) and it got me straight back into red. I loved the design of Celebi, but not the stats. Obviously I never owned a celebi, so I knew little about her. The problem is I had no idea she was even a legendary pokemon, so years later and a person who hates using legendary pokemon I am always at a dilemma with her.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
My top three favorite Pokemon were originally Mewtwo, Tyranitar, and then Scizor. Then I discovered competitive Pokemon >_<

I found out how (literally) overused Scizor was (I mean, #1 for almost every month? c'mon) and in a crazy hipster way I just started to like it less and less. I guess I do still kind of like it, but it's way less than I used to. Tyranitar is sort of in the same boat, although I still really like it (at the very least, I dislike it less than Scizor)

Thankfully, I don't play Ubers, so I never see Mewtwo. :D

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pikachu is probably my choice in this; when I first started playing Pokemon (starting with Pokemon Yellow) I adored Pikachu. I had it in every game, and in some cases, I didn't even evolve it because I just loved Pikachu. What made me love it more was that day when I found the Light Ball, and eventually had Pikachu use Volt Tackle ^-^

Then, I discovered the anime of Ash Ketchum in the Sinnoh and Unova region. (Didn't watch anime much as a young child; I eventually started watching it with DPP coming out, worst mistake I've made) I hate Ash with a passion (people on #orangeisland really know how I feel of Ash lol), and the fact that he used Pikachu as well made me release my Pikachu into the wild for EVERY game I had at the time. :c

I used to be obsessed with the Slowpoke family, and Bidoof. I caught them every time I got the chance, used them on my team, had boxes full of them, got duplicates of them as shinies.

Then I started using the Internet more and more.

I saw their memes everywhere. EVERYWHERE. I grew to hate them because I saw them so much, which got annoying.

Now, I can stand Slowbro and Slowking, but Bidoof and Slowpoke have been ruined for me.

I'm gonna have to second Pikachu, though for me its less about me hating it and more about forgetting about it due to a bunch of awesome pokemon existing and Pikachu isn't very strong either, Light Ball aside. I suppose if all of my favorite pokemon of now didn't exist I would still have high regard of Pikachu but nope. I will mention that every Pokemon game since Yellow I've always used a Pikachu named "Jenny" at least until Gen 5 when they stopped adding old pokemon.

Charizard too. I will not deny Charizard is a badass in its own right. Its a fire dragon and it can cause major damage if it gets the chance to do so. In fact Gen 5 is probably Charizard's best due to his Solar Power buff. But all that is negated due the existence of Stealth Rock and because of one move Charizard became the butt of the joke now. I don't necessarily hate Charizard, I still love him I suppose but he's just hard to use to the point I hardly use him these days due to better fire types and Chandelure (<3). I guess we ought to name Charizard Old Fogey now. 20 points if you get that reference.

Sudowoodo. I remember liking that thing in the past, now it is just meh. Maybe gen 2 sprite made me like it more (it was bit chubbier in that)

From a competitive prospective, I would say Celebii. Now don't misinterpret, I love Celebii's design, but I found that there where better pokemon then Celebii. Celebii is difficult to place a team and usually a hindering factor when it is on a team.

I used to like Delibird a bit..till I got to competitive.
Then I realized it has shit stats all around and can only function as an lol rapid spinner on like a joke team.

When you're 7-13, certain pokemon are automatically badasses. Tyranitar? YEAH! Kingdra? DRAGON ME UP! Metagross? YOU KNOW IT! Scizor?
MOST OF ALL.
Then I found a little thing called Shoddy Battle. I played, and played, and played... and played
... and played... And you know what? Everyone us
ed Scizor! EVERYONE.
I saw it constantly, all the time. I got
SO tired of it. So yeah... Scizor still looks cool,
but I'm kinda done
with him now.

HELP ME

When you're 7-13, certain pokemon are automatically badasses. Tyranitar? YEAH! Kingdra? DRAGON ME UP! Metagross? YOU KNOW IT! Scizor?
MOST OF ALL.
I must be a weird case when I actually didn't like Kingdra and Scizor from the very beginning :P

I've never got to outright hate a Pokémon I liked at first, but I do have many cases of Pokémon I thought were great but I now see them with pure indifference. Pidgeot is one such example, as is Aggron. In both cases I now think their immediate pre-evolutions are a lot better than them

I must be a weird case when I actually didn't like Kingdra and Scizor from the very beginning :p

I've never got to outright hate a Pokémon I liked at first, but I do have many cases of Pokémon I thought were great but I now see them with pure indifference. Pidgeot is one such example, as is Aggron. In both cases I now think their immediate pre-evolutions are a lot better than them
I never really liked Kingdra either. Too...bland, I guess, and the Dragon vibe doesn't work.

Oh my god though, I used to be in love with Gulpin and Swalot. They were just too adorable for me...but then I started training them. Like actually trying to play a game with them in my party.

Let's just say I haven't looked at them the same since.

Luxray for me.
I wanted to use it on a play-through because I thought it was so cool. disappointed would best sum up my feelings after training it up, and it has caused me to avoid using shinx since.

I used to love Gengar because he looked really cool, and he looked so happy. Then I realised how frail it actually was and now I don't really like it anymore

I was pretty interested in Hitmontop at first. It was neat to find out how he and the two Hitmons from Red and Blue were legitimately linked as species thanks to Tyrogue, and the way to obtain any of the Hitmons was kind of cool to 12-year-old me. Plus, I thought that he was kind of funny-looking. Later, in third-gen, he started to get all of these neat things like the Intimidate ability. Why? Heck if I know why he gets it, it's Intimidate, one of my favorite abilities! :D (Again, perspective of like 15-year-old me)

Then, for senior year in college, I worked with some of my friends to establish a Pokemon League there, and I decided that I was going to be the Fighting Gym Leader after hearing about Keldeo and his brothers. (FTR, this was before 5th-gen came out, so we were still playing DPPt. I even named my Poliwrath "Not Keldio".) I had most of the team figured out: Infernape, Machamp, Poliwrath, Breloom, and Lucario. I was considering either Gallade or Heracross for the last slot until I was reading a Monotype thread on these forums, and one guy kept advocating the use of Hitmontop in that case. It looked like a good idea: I could give him several cool moves to work with Technician, including some priority moves as a precursor to Lucario. So, I went ahead and did that.

Now I wish I hadn't.

Hitmontop was pretty much boned 9 times he appeared out of 10. I might have been using him wrong all along, there's a good chance I was, but there was maybe ONE battle where he actually shined. He managed to put the kabosh on a SubRoost Aerodactyl by using Mach Punch over and over, waiting for Aerodactyl to Roost, then beating it with Close Combat. That was the one time he was really good. Otherwise, I would try to send it against something to land a priority attack on, and the opponent would switch to something bulky, or a ghost, or Dusknoir (who is both). I might have been able to at least do damage to some of the more frail Psychics or something, but Hitmontop was deadweight to a Ghost-type because of one fatal mistake I made.

If you do intend to raise a Hitmontop, NEVER LET HITMONTOP USE PURSUIT!!! Let me reiterate: HITMONTOP + PURSUIT = BAD IDEA!!! I know it looks enticing to do that, because Hitmontop has Technician, so a weak move like that should get boosted. It's also another Dark attack along with Machamp's Payback and Lucario's Crunch, so that's attractive, too. Unfortunately, Hitmontop is not a Pokemon that can actually USE this damn move. Scizor can use it. Tyranitar can use it. Metagross, Weavile, Houndoom, and even Snorlax can actually utilize Pursuit effectively. Why? All of these Pokemon can be potential threats for things that Dark attacks hit hard, so they may feel pressure to retreat, only to wind up the victim of Pursuit. Things that can use Pursuit well: Pokemon that already scare Ghosts and Psychics.

What kind of Ghost or Psychic is going to run from Hitmontop? He's a Fighting Pokemon, and while he may have some bulk, he's pretty weak and slow for a Fighter. That means you could either just kill him / deal heavy damage (Psychic) or burn him to slowly wear him down and weaken his pitiful attacks further (Ghost). And because those Pokemon were usually staying in on Hitmontop, Pursuit was pretty much the only thing Top COULD do. Fake Out only works the turn he first enters battle, and Mach Punch and Close Combat were both Fighting attacks, with one of those dropping his defenses. Pursuit's not going to bail Hitmontop out of that noise; it does barely any damage to things that are going to stay in. I REALLY wish I had chosen a different fourth move, like Bullet Punch or Sucker Punch. Hell, Stone Edge would've been a better move to use than Pursuit.

On a less angry note, I have also realized since the days of GSC that the concept for Hitmontop is stupid anyway. Punching and kicking, I can understand being themes for fighters. But now they want to do a third branch to what has been revealed as a family. What did they do? Anthropomorphic Beyblade! ...why? What does a top bring to this? How does that even? I guess they wanted to visually state that Hitmontop's meant to be a balance between Attack and Defense, since those stats determine how Tyrogue evolves. But statwise, that doesn't make much sense: although Defense must be higher than Attack to be a Hitmonchan, Chan is still a more offensive Pokemon than Top. Top's Attack and Defense are balanced, but it's the lowest power of the trio and the highest Defense, so... statwise, I'm confused whether to call it a success or a failure. But artwise, you're complimenting spring-kicking and piston-punching with... spin-kicking? I dunno, I might have gone with grappling or sumo wrestling or something else for the third branch.

TL;DR, I used to think Hitmontop was neat. Then, I tried to apply the theory and found it severely lacking in practice. Again, that might be me not knowing how to train the damn thing, but it's just not my cup of tea. Hitmonbottom can kiss mine.

And remember, HITMONTOP SHOULD NOT USE PURSUIT!

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think RedMeowth wins for best response. Wow. I can totally relate as a person who keeps seeing Hitmontop's impressive ability and moves and whatnot and then tries it only to see that it totally fails at actually doing things xD

I used to love Lickitung back on the Pokemon Yellow golden days...
But when I grew up I looked into competitive playing and Lickitung's appeal disappeared for me.
Specially after they made Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, Lickylicky is lame imo

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Charizard is the obvious answer for me. When I was a kid, I loved it just like every other little boy in the history of Pokemon did (not enough to take Charmander over Bulbasaur, but I loved it). As I grew older, however, the love story ended.
Have you ever noticed a Pokemon (or any piece of art, really) where one or two smallish elements managed to ruin the entire design? Charizard's arms do that for me. They're built like twigs. Now, I could understand it if Charizard had a Tyrannosaurus thing going with hopelessly atrophied arms, but no, these things are decent-length. How the hell does Charizard use punching moves without breaking its spindly bones? Noticing that, along with a body that looks like a giant egg for no apparent reason (and is actually fatter than Dragonite's, by the way), ruined Charizard's design for me. Getting into arguments with people who insist that Charizard is great in a competitive environment despite my explanations of its numerous crippling flaws hasn't helped its case.

To sum up, Charizard is the most overrated Pokemon in existence. You want a REAL manly dragon? Raise a Flygon.

Last edited:

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Charizard. I liked it (not an all-time favorite, but) back in Yellow, obviously influenced by the anime.

Nowadays, the Charizard-lover hordes of genwunners, Stealth Rock, his shitty design and the fact Venusaur and Blastoise are leagues better have made me hate it. But noooo, they HAD to give it a weather ability, my favorite weather while they're at it...

I'd have to go with Umbreon. When he was first released I thought it would be the best Eevolution of all time. How wrong I was..
How wrong you were about how wrong you were you mean...I like Umbreon more today than I did when it came out.

Sawk and Throh for me. At first, I thought they looked kind of cool. But then, I realized they played like the most generic fighting types in existence, without much to set them apart, design or battling wise.

I used to like Farfetch'd in a totally un-ironic way. But the thing is, I didn't know the extent of its suckage until I actually researched it. Not totally my fault, since the official strategy guide for Red/Blue didn't even list base stats. Well, they sorta did, but it was on a really simple radial chart with no numbers that gave more of a general idea of a 'mons stats than just outright saying you were better off with a Pidgeotto. Dux kinda made up for it by being an in-game trade only so it leveled faster, but the knowledge of its crumminess tainted it forever.

Sorry, Farfetch'd fans. Some day it'll happen for him and he'll get the evo he needs. So keep up the 15 year mantra: "Maybe next gen, maybe next gen..."

TL;DR, I used to think Hitmontop was neat. Then, I tried to apply the theory and found it severely lacking in practice. Again, that might be me not knowing how to train the damn thing, but it's just not my cup of tea. Hitmonbottom can kiss mine.
hitmontop is top tier in doubles ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)