OU Monotype: Sheer Force of Dragons (1810, #84 in OU Monotype Ladder)

Do you hope that Dragons get coverage so that they can handle Fairies better?

• Total voters
Hey guys, it's me! Right now I'm running a very offensive style Monodragon Team on the Pokemon Showdown forum, and right now, I have pretty good success with this team! I was even able to beat Balanced OU teams before, yet this team does have its flaws! Rate my team to see what I need to fix, ok?

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spe/ 252 Atk/ 4 Hp
Jolly Nature
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang/ Swords Dance
-Stone Edge

The big bad Garchomp! He saved me many times in battle! My gameplan with him is to use him later in the game and hit with EQ and Stone Edge. He's a great lead for Sun Teams who expect an EQ cuz he'll predit the switch to a Balloner or a Levitator and hit with Stone Edge! Swords Dance is also an option for an upcoming switch out too, since I have been using Fire Fang less! If all else fails.....Outrage!

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Spe/ 252 Atk/ 4 SpA
Jolly Nature
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast
-Brick Break

Probably one of the best comeback makers on my team! He helped turn 3-5 leads by my opponent into 3-0!!! One time I was behind 1-4, yet Salamence swept my opponents team! He's mainly used if and only if there is a nice opening to sweep! He has pretty solid coverage too, however, I rarely use Fire Blast, and most of the time, he goes for a well timed Outrage Assult!!!!

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Spe/ 252 Atk/ 4 Hp
Jolly Nature
-Outrage
-Dragon Dance
-Fire Punch
-ExtremeSpeed

He is mainly used to hit things hard early before Stealth Rocks come on the field! He has pretty solid coverage to, yet is only used for priority kills now, yet if my foe lets him get off a Dragon Dance....my foe will lose lots of Pokemon!!! I got a quick 6-1 lead once because of DD!

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spe/ 252 SpA/ 4 Hp
Timid Nature
-Dragon Pulse
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt/Psyshock/ Grass Knot
-Hidden Power Fire

Great Revenge Killer, because he's pretty fast!! He can hit hard with his strong coverage too, yet he's very very late game, who at times, can finish off teams that are worn down!
Ice Beam is great for killing Gliscor and HP Fire easily kills Scizor! I don't run Draco Meteor cuz I don't wanna be locked into a penalizing move like that!

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
-Draco Meteor
-Grass Knot
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power Fire

I absolutely love her coverage! She really shines on rain teams, especially rain teams with Gastrodon and Swampert, who are a little harder to take out with my other guys! She's mid game, and is capable of taking out a good number of foes and if all else fails.....Draco Meteor!!

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Superpower
-Earthquake

I use him as my lead for most battles cuz of his coverage for most common leads such as Tyranitar, Ninetails, and anyone who can't take a first turn Draco Meteor!! Her problem is the penalizing factor to Draco Meteor and Superpower, cuz it weakens her super early, but she does get off a couple of kills early in the match, and really helps out my team!

Teams Strength:
This team has pretty good coverage, and has a lot of fast members! Also 5/6 members on the team is immune to Spikes/Toxic Spikes, so needing a Spinner isn't 100% neccesary! The entire team is immune to Ground moves as well (exept Garchomp, but he can take an Earthquake). They all have high attack, and are able to put pressure on lots of opposing members! Anyone who is frail and slow will fall easily to my team in one hit! This kind of wear and tear is vicious and deadly!

Team Weaknessess:
Since the team is defensively weak, they won't take hits well at all (especially Salamence, who gets OHKO'd by anything named super effective or critical hit). Because of this, switches are very rare, even when needed. The only time I switch out is when I predict a Tyranitar switch in on one of my Eon Twins. Also, Stealth Rocks could be a problem for 2/6 of my members, especially for Dragonite since he instantly losses his Multiscale! Don't even mention Ice Attacks or Hail Teams, cuz although they don't always guarrentee the GG for my opponent, they are very, very troubling! Water Monoteams are also troubling cuz of Ice Attacks. Heavy stallers, aka Eviolite Porygon, Eviolite Chansey, WishTect Vaporeon etc, stalls out my team to death (Vaporeon isn't that bad, but Poryon is unbearable)!! This team also hates statuses and Tricks such as Trick Room or one of my Orb Holders getting Tricked or Switcharooed!

I began climbing this team with an alt (Champion Scytha) and i only have 1810 points after 25 fights. I'm 84th in the OU Monotype ladder on Showdown, but I wanna be 1st. The top 5 types that give me trouble, in order, are:

1. Normal (cuz of Porygon2/Chansey/Blissey)
2. Ice (hail Blizzard/ Ice Shard Spam)
3. Water (ice moves/Keldeo/Cloyster)
4. Psychic (stalling teams/Trick Room Teams only)
5. Dragon (not really, but these matches really depend on the items we hold. I have battled teams with all focus sashes, and my scarf latios lost a speed tie before, which basically means gg, cuz no dragon outspeeds scarf latios)

I need help taking out Porygon2. They are the reason I get 5-0'ed by Normal Teams. My record now is 17-8, and I lost to 1 Water team, 1 Ice team, 2 Normal Teams, 2 Psychic Teams, 1 Dragon Team (bad plays), and 1 Flying Team (bad plays). Any tips?

Conclusion:
The teams main stragety is pure offensive wear and tear!! I
give them a move set that will allow them to perform well
Without having to switch often! Prediction is only used to see
If my foe will switch into a Levitator or not! Plays matter a lot, and the goal is to take out foes fast, without staying in to long. If there's an opening, opposing teams will crumble, but if not, my team will use coverage to the best of its ability! And I will kill all problems before they become one!

Hope you enjoyed!

Last edited:
I find it redundant to have both Latios and Latias. They both share the same typing making bad synergy and the way they work offensively is virtually the same(note how similar their movesets are). I would swap out one of them for Kyurem B, a sub set should work fine. As for who to move, probably Latios because Latias' superior bulk fits your team better. If you decide to keep Latios though, then it's unnecessary to have 2 scarfers. I would either switch Latios to a Specs set making it a top flight wall breaker or giving it an expert belt to bluff a choice set catching many of Latios' counters off guard.

I may be wrong, but I think I've seen somewhere that there is a list of powerful dragon pokemon that only 3 can be used in a Mono team. You may want to consider that.

I'd replace Latios with Scarf Magnezone: the team has enough fire power and needs a trapper for steel-types
In addition, using CB Garchomp over Yache Chomp is a better idea since CB can hit much harder

I find it redundant to have both Latios and Latias. They both share the same typing making bad synergy and the way they work offensively is virtually the same(note how similar their movesets are). I would swap out one of them for Kyurem B, a sub set should work fine. As for who to move, probably Latios because Latias' superior bulk fits your team better. If you decide to keep Latios though, then it's unnecessary to have 2 scarfers. I would either switch Latios to a Specs set making it a top flight wall breaker or giving it an expert belt to bluff a choice set catching many of Latios' counters off guard.
I completly understand what you are saying! Kyurem B is pretty bulky with the subset, yet i was never good at using him. And the only reason I have Scarf Latios is because it is a lifesaver against other scarfers (aka. ScarfLatios), and if i lose a speed tie against a Latios on a MonoDragon team, then I lose! The movesets ended up being too similar to Latias, cuz i faced pokemon that gave me trouble in the past (Ice Beam for Gliscor, Grass Knot for Gastrodon, etc). I will try out a Specs set for Latios, and i will try out Kyurem B's Sub Set, and I will practice with it!

I may be wrong, but I think I've seen somewhere that there is a list of powerful dragon pokemon that only 3 can be used in a Mono team. You may want to consider that.
Thats for Pokemon Online, not Showdown, but thx for reminding me of that rule

Garchomp could run stealthrock to set up entry hazards, and kingdra would make a nice rain team counter. Just throwing in my 2 cents :/

You got a lot of redundant coverage on this set, which for some types (Ice and Steel obviously) is needed, so every pokemon having a fire type move I'm not knocking at all. You got EQ three times though. I understand if you're in the rain you can use EQ to hit Steel types hard, but having it that many times when you also have fire type moves on EVERY ONE of your Pokemon seems like a bit much. Maybe have 3 dragon types that have a fire type move and 3 that have EQ and add some more coverage moves in there, such as fighting types if they can learn them.

If Latios is your revenge killer, he'll probably be used more for a hit and run scenario than your Latias is; for that reason, I say switch Dragon Pulse to Latias and Draco Meteor to Latios. Draco is powerful enough where it will pretty much take out or put a very large dent into anything that you switch in on. Putting Dragon Pulse on Latias also makes sure that you don't drop her Sp. Atk, because correct me if I'm wrong but her set seems more like a sweeping set, where you don't necessarily want a drop in Sp. Atk.

Thats my two cents on all this man, other than that I like the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)