A Bulky Trickroom Team Based Around Cofagrigus.

MiloticRaichu

Hey guys, I'm a long time competive player (usually in NU and UU, occassionally OU) and this is my first RMT. I tried to do something different that worked with this team and didn't contain the pokemon that seem to appear on everybodys UU team. Pokemon that are easy to use aren't particularly fun for me such as the banded Victini, click V-create repeatedly and win strategy.

Basically I began experimenting with the standard trickroom nasty plot Cofagrigus on some of my other UU teams and found that a lot of teams struggled to deal with it after one boost and trickroom was up. It is also a pokemon that can take a V-create from Victini, survive and OHKO back with shadow ball, which is near essential for a competitive UU team in today's meta. Now onto my sets.

The Lead:

Tiny Tim (Smeargle) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Technician
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 Spd / 0 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SAtk / 0 SDef
- Spore
- Endeavor
- Dragon Rage
- Trick Room

The basic idea of all Smeargle sets. Depending on the opponents lead, put something to sleep as you get knocked down to your sash, set up the trickroom, endeavour, and die. Doesn't always work and is particularly vulnerable to taunt, priority, and hail, but usually does at least one of the allotted tasks outlined above.

The Wallbreaker:

Cofagrigus (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 100 SAtk / 156 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]​

The star of the show, the EV's are designed to maximise bulk of both spectrums whilst also giving an immediate offensive presence. The moves are fairly standard as they give unresisted coverage in UU whilst the extra bulk allows for easier setup against even weak offensive pokemon such as Flygon. The extra defenses are also required in order to effectively pass wishes to this monster as it gets worn down over the course of the game. The result is that Cofagrigus can repeadedly come in and wallbreak anything not named Snorlax or Umbreon. Cofagrigus is also bulky enough to take a V-create from Victini and OHKO after the drop which is essential to my team which lacks solid fire resists.

The Cleric:

Whitney (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss​

Almost as annoying as the name suggests. Clefable is one of the best wishpassers available in UU and I feel that magic guard gives it an edge over Umbreon. Clefable has perfect type synergy with Cofagrigus and Dusclops and is able to pass giant wishes to Cofagrigus and wake up Dusclops with heal bell after rest has been used. Keeping these 2 healthy is of paramount importance on this team and they are both trickroom users and are really the only two physically bulky pokemon able to take on the likes of Kingdra, Darmanitan, Azumarill and Victini.

The Sweeper:

Rampardos (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Crunch
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Yes, that's right. Rampardos in UU. One of my favourite pokemon of all time and it just destroys everything under trickroom. The EV spread is straightforward enough enabling Rampardos to actually take a hit whilst hitting like a truck off base 160 attack. Rampardos is one of those pokemon that has never let me down. For example I used it earlier today and it came down to a scarfed Krookodile at 88% health vs Ramardos with one turn of trickroom remaining. Rampardos just straight took it out with Earthquake. Defensive Arcanine is OHKO'd, Xatu is OHKO'd. The only wall for this dinosaur is defensive Suicune or physically bulky Scrafty.

The Rocker:

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
IVs: 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake​

Standard set is standard. Set up rocks and a trickroom and switch to something to handle whatever pokemon is out. Hard countered by Xatu but I usually double to Rampardos when I see one that will probably come in on predicted rocks. Then something has to take a hit from base 160 attack.

The Wall:

Suicune @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar​

Standard Suicune through and through. Rest for recovery in conjuction with sleep talk or heal bell from Clefable if unable to wake up, EV's are straightforward defensive, roar for phazing and scald for a reliable stab attack with a handy chance of burn. This set counters any Azumarill set as well as checking the powerful fire types in the tier such as banded Darmanitan and Victini as well as physical Kingdra.

Problem Pokemon:

Banded Victini
DD Kingdra
Darmanitan
Bulk Up Scrafty

So there it is. A team that although very transparent on the surface actually performs quite well in the field due to the simple black and white immunity combinations. I'm aware that some of the pokemon aren't running 0 speed IV's etc in trickroom but this has not been an issue so far and i'm too lazy to change it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as this is my first RMT but try and avoid turning this into a standard team. Standard play has long since become boring for me and every team I see is running either a Victini or a Darmanitan.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and feedback - Paul

Last edited:

Scotti

we back.
Nice team MiloticRaichu i think you should replace Seicmic Toss with Dragon Rage, so you wil always get the kill on the pokemon after Endeavor. Thats pretty much all i got anyway good luck.

Nice team MiloticRaichu i think you should replace Seicmic Toss with Dragon Rage, so you wil always get the kill on the pokemon after Endeavor. Thats pretty much all i got anyway good luck.
Yeah, i've seen that run before and I have no idea how it never occurred to me. But I guess that's the point of an RMT hey? Thanks for the rate and advice.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Yeah, i've seen that run before and I have no idea how it never occurred to me. But I guess that's the point of an RMT hey? Thanks for the rate and advice.
I assume you just forgot to write it, but Smeargle 100% needs to be level 1 to guarantee that it's knocked down to its sash. Furthermore, level 1 smeargle can endeavor + dragon rage and kill most anything anyway without having to be at 1 hp.

Overall, I love the stally Trick Room idea and you seem to have done it really well. I don't have much experience with full stall but all the pieces seem to be there.

I assume you just forgot to write it, but Smeargle 100% needs to be level 1 to guarantee that it's knocked down to its sash. Furthermore, level 1 smeargle can endeavor + dragon rage and kill most anything anyway without having to be at 1 hp.

Overall, I love the stally Trick Room idea and you seem to have done it really well. I don't have much experience with full stall but all the pieces seem to be there.
Thank you! and yes, another minor oversight on my part regarding Smeargle :( I thought people would have serious issues with this team but so far it's all been pretty positive. Do you know how to edit an RMT by the way so I can make the required corrections? Cheers for the rate.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Thank you! and yes, another minor oversight on my part regarding Smeargle :( I thought people would have serious issues with this team but so far it's all been pretty positive. Do you know how to edit an RMT by the way so I can make the required corrections? Cheers for the rate.
There should be a little edit button on the lower left part of the post.

Also one other thing. You do have a lot of trouble with boosting sweepers as you lack a reliable phazer. How about RestTalk Roar Suicune over Dusclops, or even Clefable?

There should be a little edit button on the lower left part of the post.

Also one other thing. You do have a lot of trouble with boosting sweepers as you lack a reliable phazer. How about RestTalk Roar Suicune over Dusclops, or even Clefable?
I can't replace Clefable, I need the wish support. But you might be onto something with suicune, it would be useful to rack up damage on fire types with rocks and phaze out bulk up scrafty which my team also struggles with. Thanks.

Sorry have to auto hate for Dusclops

But seriously make Cofagrigus 252spatk, the spdef evs won't help you much when TR Cofagrigus is supposed to sweep and destroy not take hits

Also yes I know Dusclops was taken out, still auto hate it

Woohoo, another Trick Room user! Isn't it seriously awesome how creative Trick Room allows you to be? I mean, just look at your team; you're using a Rampardos, and doing it effectively at that. That's just really awesome.

First thing I'd like to point is that Qwilfish walls your entire threatlist and you have two ghost types. I think you get my point. (*Cough* get rid of Dusclops)

Make sure that Cofagrigus has 2 11 Atk IVs and 2 Spd IVs to minimize speed and foul play/confusion damage. Also make sure you have max Sp Atk. and HP.

Make sure Smeargle is at level 1 and using Dragon Rage as the finishing move.

That's it from me! Good luck.

Last edited:
Is there any reason you're using clefable over wish support umbreon? Umbreon gets even better syynergy with ghosts + significantly better bulk + a better attacking move. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Also @GenXXZ You'll actually want 11 Attack IVs and 2 Speed EVs to keep hp fighting at 70 base power.

Woohoo, another Trick Room user! Isn't it seriously awesome how creative Trick Room allows you to be? I mean, just look at your team; you're using a Rampardos, and doing it effectively at that. That's just really awesome.

First thing I'd like to point is that Qwilfish walls your entire threatlist and you have two ghost types. I think you get my point. (*Cough* get rid of Dusclops)

Make sure that Cofagrigus has 2 11 Atk IVs and 2 Spd IVs to minimize speed and foul play/confusion damage. Also make sure you have max Sp Atk. and HP.

Make sure Smeargle is at level 1 and using Dragon Rage as the finishing move.

That's it from me! Good luck.
Thanks for the rate. Quilfish will not like switching into shadow balls and wont appreciate and EQ from Rampardos at all. Dusclops has been replaced with Suicune and Smeargle must be at least lvl 50 apparently in order to use it's moveset on showdown.

Is there any reason you're using clefable over wish support umbreon? Umbreon gets even better syynergy with ghosts + significantly better bulk + a better attacking move. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Also @GenXXZ You'll actually want 11 Attack IVs and 2 Speed EVs to keep hp fighting at 70 base power.
I just like magic guard, it means I don't have to waste turns heal belling and still takes special hits very nicely. I also prefer clefable to umbreon as it's much less used and lacks a weakness to bug whilst being immune to the only notable type that dark resists.

Sorry have to auto hate for Dusclops

But seriously make Cofagrigus 252spatk, the spdef evs won't help you much when TR Cofagrigus is supposed to sweep and destroy not take hits

Also yes I know Dusclops was taken out, still auto hate it
I appreciate the rate but the point of the extra bulk on cofagrigus is for wish-passing. If a pokemon is bulky enough to take a +2 hp fighting then it can't hurt me enough to stop me setting up to +4. Much better against pokemon like snorlax and porygon 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)