Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I bourght a copy of Pokémon Pearl online since I couldn't find any in store but now that I've received it I'm not sure if it's a real copy or a fake. I'm beginning to think it's a fake and I was wondering if someone with another USA copy could check it for me. I've taken a front and back picture of the game, the images are bad but they should be able to give you an idea of what it looks like. All my other games were bought instore and are Australian copies so I don't have anything I can compare it with myself...

Front:

Back:
Do you have a DSi or 3DS? Because I have bought fake games before, and they do not work on DSi or 3DS.

The background is a bit more blurred on your copy and the soft glow around the text is missing. The arrangement of everything on the cart looks fine and the NTR text on the front and back match up.
So the fact that it's missing the white sections around the text could simply be because it's an old game? It's good to know that everything else matches up, perhaps it's a real game after all.

Do you have a DSi or 3DS? Because I have bought fake games before, and they do not work on DSi or 3DS.
I have a 3DS which I've been playing it on and it works well for the most part. It's only freezed on me once and I'm currently up to the last gym leader or something like that, I've been snail pacing my way through it. The only other thing that strikes me as odd is that sometimes the 3DS will act like there's no game in the slot when I try to load it (this rarely happens though). I've also been able to send stuff to Pokecheck through the game.

Last edited:
So the fact that it's missing the white sections around the text could simply be because it's an old game? It's good to know that everything else matches up, perhaps it's a real game after all.

I have a 3DS which I've been playing it on and it works well for the most part. It's only freezed on me once and I'm currently up to the last gym leader or something like that, I've been snail pacing my way through it. The only other thing that strikes me as odd is that sometimes the 3DS will act like there's no game in the slot when I try to load it (this rarely happens though). I've also been able to send stuff to Pokecheck through the game.
I've actualy found a pretty good place to check whether DS Pokemon games are real or not: http://www.pokedit.com/How+to+tell+if+a+Nintendo+DS+game+is+Genuine?_62.html

Hello, I'm trying to find a Nosepass in Pokémon Ruby with Rock Smash but I didn't found any wild Pokémon in rocks, not even Geodude, after five or six soft-reseting of 7 rocks to smash in Granite Cave. I had a level 19 Dustox as a lead and I used repel to avoid being annoyed by unwanted wild Pokémon encounters like Zubat or Aron ; either wild Pokémon cannot appear by Rock Smash if repel is active (unless the wild Pokémon as a higher level) or I got extremely unlucky.

So my question is: do Rock Smash wild Pokémon encounter are affected by repel? Thanks :)

I don't know the answer, but notice that: the only pokemon at level 19+ are Geodude and Nosepass, so you're probably just unlucky (the chance to find a wild pokemon with Rock Smash is quite low so 5-6 reset surely aren't enough). Also, you can walk around a rock until the Repel effect fades and then save and try to Rock Smash.

Can anyone explain how to trade pokemon?
After I get the first gym badge,Can I trade with anyone who's freind code I have?If so can I ask for any Pokemon?(Pokemon which I haven't seen in the pokedex.)Also can you trade from Ds to 3Ds?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Can anyone explain how to trade pokemon?
After I get the first gym badge,Can I trade with anyone who's freind code I have?If so can I ask for any Pokemon?(Pokemon which I haven't seen in the pokedex.)Also can you trade from Ds to 3Ds?
As long as you have a fully working C Gear you can trade Pokemon. If its local trades you don't need any friend codes or anything like that, and you should be able to trade from 3DS to a normal DS. If you're trading over the net, you need to talk to the Wifi club lady and you need to exchange friend codes with someone else in order to link with them.

If I'm trading over the net can I only trade after I get the first gym badge?
Can I only ask for pokemon that are there in the regional pokedex?(not national)
If you're trading over the net, you need to talk to the Wifi club lady and you need to exchange friend codes with someone else in order to link with them.
You mean the one on top of the Pokemon centers right?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
If you are trading with another person directly on wi-fi, you don't "ask" for a Pokémon. You choose one of yours, the other person chooses one of theirs, you accept the trade, and it starts. This is why people usually organize trades beforehand in the Wi-fi forum.

If you are using the GTS, then you can only request Pokémon you have encountered in your game.

If I'm trading over the net can I only trade after I get the first gym badge?
Can I only ask for pokemon that are there in the regional pokedex?(not national)

You mean the one on top of the Pokemon centers right?
Yeah, you can trade with anyone after you get the first badge. It is in fact the thing on top of the Pokemon center.

One trick for "asking" for Pokemon is to put it in your Trainer saying, but you once again have to have seen a Pokemon you want. Or maybe allude to it with abilities (this of course is on negotiations).

In fact, on GTS negotiations you may get lucky and encounter someone with the Pokemon you want.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sadly only covers are coloured, sometimes fans will do a few panels to pay tribute but that is all.

As long as you have a fully working C Gear you can trade Pokemon. If its local trades you don't need any friend codes or anything like that, and you should be able to trade from 3DS to a normal DS. If you're trading over the net, you need to talk to the Wifi club lady and you need to exchange friend codes with someone else in order to link with them.
If you are trading with another person directly on wi-fi, you don't "ask" for a Pokémon. You choose one of yours, the other person chooses one of theirs, you accept the trade, and it starts. This is why people usually organize trades beforehand in the Wi-fi forum.

If you are using the GTS, then you can only request Pokémon you have encountered in your game.
Yeah, you can trade with anyone after you get the first badge. It is in fact the thing on top of the Pokemon center.

One trick for "asking" for Pokemon is to put it in your Trainer saying, but you once again have to have seen a Pokemon you want. Or maybe allude to it with abilities (this of course is on negotiations).

In fact, on GTS negotiations you may get lucky and encounter someone with the Pokemon you want.
Thanks guys.

Maybe my Google fu is weak, but I was having trouble determining if two weather ability pokemon enter, which effect stays? Is it speed based?

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Maybe my Google fu is weak, but I was having trouble determining if two weather ability pokemon enter, which effect stays? Is it speed based?
This question isn't really suitable a Orange Islands, but yes, it is Speed based; the slower Pokémon's ability will override the faster Pokémon's ability.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Yes, it is based on speed. So let's say Hippowdon and Politoed but come in against eachother. 47 and 70 Base Speed stats respectively. The way it works is Politoed's rain will activate first since it is faster, and then Hippowdon's sand will activate, overriding the rain, and winning the weather war thanks to the slower speed.

Edit: gdi I got ninja'd.

Thanks, I was having issues finding a "rules" thread other than this simple questions thread (been awhile since I was on smogon, took a pokemon break). If both players switch, is it still based on the pokemon coming out?

I hope that kind of question is okay in this Forum.

I got my GB Transferrer II some weeks ago and used it for a backup of my Pokemon Crystal. Since there are savegame editors I used one, because I have some Stat Exp trained Pokémon without some important breeding moves (I know cheating is not okay)
I saw that I have some "invisible" Pokémon in some boxes. The savegame editor says, that there are there and I can check them, but ingame they are invisible.
I have no access to them but I know, that I had them once. What can cause Pokémon to disapear? I have never used the cloning glitch, I only had a problem with the Trainer House Glitch.
Changing the Pokémon will make the Box strange after I caught any new Pokémon or deposit/move anything in that box.
This is a lot of space I can´t use.

Thanks for every helpful answer.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

What are these? How do I get these little badge things?
Smogon awards its users with various badges depending on their contributions to the site. You can hover your mouse over a badge's image to read a description of the badge. While the badge FAQ isn't currently accessible on-site due to the move to XF, you can see an older version of it here.

The badge you posted (the green one) is the Community Contributor badge. This is its description:
User is a Community Contributor. This badge is awarded to those who have contributed to the forums by posting and leading high quality discussion in our discussion forums. In addition, this badge can have other applications for superb work in areas that are not presently recognized by another badge. This is a badge that is maintained only with high levels of activity.

Chespin The Knight

Banned deucer.
Smogon awards its users with various badges depending on their contributions to the site. You can hover your mouse over a badge's image to read a description of the badge. While the badge FAQ isn't currently accessible on-site due to the move to XF, you can see an older version of it here.

The badge you posted (the green one) is the Community Contributor badge. This is its description:
TY!

Howdy Smogon, hopefully this is the right place for this.

I'm currently doing an Emerald run where I'm aiming for all seven gold symbols in the Frontier and a long streak in the Tower. I haven't had much trouble getting the symbols (except the Battle Factory which is death) but the streak has been an issue. Then I saw the Trick lead/stat-uppers strategy people have used in Gen 4 and decided to apply it to Emerald. I plan on using Alakazam as the Trick user, with the logic being that it is very fast, can set up the appropriate screen, and won't bait Fighting attacks because of its typing (unless I'm misunderstanding how the AI operates), while Curse/Metal Claw/Sub/Amnesia Registeel and Sub/CM/Dragon Claw/Recover Latias would be the stat-uppers. Then I ran into a bit of good luck and found a 31/26/30/2/31/26 IV spread with a Careful Nature for Registeel, which happens to be HP Steel 70, a major upgrade from Metal Claw.

My question is pretty simple: how do I got about EVing this guy? I already caught him but having -10 base power from Iron Head sucks (and a slightly less-than-ideal IV), though the flipside is the Heatran doesn't exist and Magneton has less bulk than its evo. The spread I have currently is 252 HP/124 Atk/116 Def/16 SDef, which yields 364 HP/212 Atk/364 Def/374 SDef at level 100. Is this adequate, especially with regard to its attack power? (Is that enough of an investment?)

Thanks in advance. (I suppose that qualifies as a pun.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)