Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
And they're all legendaries... I see the problem. There are a couple ways to get around this:

• Branching evolutions based on Helioptile's ability. Dry Skin mons would evolve into something completely different than their Solar Power counterparts. One evo would be offensive, one defensive
  • An all-around Bulky Offense battling style. Big on the defenses (HP most likely) and Special Attack while being slow. Though Helioptle does look kinda fast, so that's out
  • A more offensive build, with average defenses, a decent defensive typing, and awesome recovery in Parabolic Charge/Dry Skin/Leftovers providing the defensive end of things. So you're either a tank that recovers quickly to compensate for not-quite-ideal defenses, or an offensive behemoth.
Or one of the abilities will end up being wasted potential. who knows.

I haven't watched an uncut battle video until now. The 3D models look MUCH better in motion and I'm sure they look even better in 3D. Dragonite in particular captures the personality perfectly. The same can be said for the rest, but Dragonite is a personal favorite. I really like the 2D backgrounds: they remind me of older JRPGs which had 3D models + 2D environs. I'm also pleased with the Mega evolutions. The change in camera perspective makes it more epic, and I'm happy they don't require a turn or super specific conditions to evolve. Finally, holy crap Skiddo is FAST!

As for Helioptile, I'm loving the idea of Dry Skin + Thunder. Parabolic Charge is also neat, but I think it's going to be fast based on its design origins (frilled lizards are quick). It also seems to take concepts from the spotted salamander. As such, I'm leaning towards a more offensive stat spread because amphibians are notoriously susceptible to environmental change.

So sylveon's base hp is 95 if it has 31 ivs in hp, or its base hp is 110 if has 0~3 ivs in hp, based on the shiny sylveon picture at lvl 30

In the demo video MegaMewtwo's neutral Thunderbolt (?) does roughly half to Dragonite.
What, if anything, can be inferred about MegaMewtow's power?

There's not much to go on but a Max HP, Max SpD Dragonite without Multiscale takes a little over 26% from Max SpA Mewtwo's Thunderbolt.
When I doubled Mewtwo's SpA the damage, unsurprisingly, went up to ~52% on average.

If I didn't mess up the calcs, MegaMewtwo might have twice the SpA of the ordinary form (894 max).
That's in line with previous speculation/guesses based on the trickles of information.

Last edited:
In the demo video MegaMewtwo's neutral Thunderbolt (?) does roughly half to Dragonite.

There's not much to go on but a Max HP, Max SpD Dragonite without Multiscale takes a little over 26% from Max SpA Mewtwo's Thunderbolt.
When I doubled Mewtwo's SpA the damage, unsurprisingly, went up to ~52% on average.

If I didn't mess up the calcs, MegaMewtwo might have twice the SpA of the ordinary form.
That's in line with previous speculation/guesses based on the trickles of information.
Why would the demo Dragonite be Max HP/Max SpD?

That would be incredibly random. I mean if you were going to EV a demo Pokemon at all, that would make really no sense for DNite.

If I didn't mess up the calcs, MegaMewtwo might have twice the SpA of the ordinary form.
You're saying that Mewtwo-M might have 208 base sp.a?

0 SpA Mewtwo Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragonite: 99-117 (30.65 - 36.22%) Normal sp.a

0 SpA Mewtwo Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragonite: 137-162 (42.41 - 50.15%) --0.39% chance to 2HKO 220 Sp.a

Last edited:
Why would the demo Dragonite be Max HP/Max SpD?

That would be incredibly random. I mean if you were going to EV a demo Pokemon at all, that would make really no sense for DNite.
I can't know their stats so I picked max all-around.
The key assumption is that the demo Pokemon are roughly equal wrt to EVs, IVs etc.

You're assuming two important things; one, that Dragonite does not have Multiscale, and two, that the Dragonite is Max HP Max Spec D. There's too many factors in attacks to judge definitively what the stats are.

Edit: Replied to the wrong person, sorry.

If Dragonite had Multiscale MegaMewtwo is even more badass as it would have KO'd Inner Focus Dragonite with Thunderbolt.
Such a feat is impossible for ordinary MewTwo even if the Dragonite has min HP and SpD and the Mewtwo has max SpA.
So I rather assume that the demo Dragonite had Inner Focus and MegaMewtwo has ~ double the SpA of Mewtwo.
The thing that could mess up the assumed factor is if the Dragonite was IV'd/EV/d to be particularly defensively weak and the opposite for the MewTwo's offense.
But I'm just shrugging and saying that's unlikely to be the case. :P

Last edited:
252+ SpA Mewtwo Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 130-153 (40.24 - 47.36%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

They always seem to max Mewtwo SpA.

If Mewtwo base SpA increased to 174 then:

252+ SpA Mewtwo Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 142-168 (43.96 - 52.01%) -- 14.06% chance to 2HKO

As you can see, this is consistent with the video.

EDIT: Assuming Dragonite does not have Multiscale.

blitzlefan

shake it off!

If I didn't mess up the calcs, MegaMewtwo might have twice the SpA of the ordinary form (894 max).
Ummm.... guys let's not. Let's just... not.
Assuming Dragonite was Inner Focus, as most ingame Dragonite are indeed Inner Focus, the calculation for MegaMewtwo Thunderbolt vs. Dragonite goes something like this. Also, why would Dragonite have full HP and Special Defense investment? Nobody runs that, and it's improbable that you'll find something like that ingame.

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragonite: 153-181 (47.36 - 56.03%) -- 80.08% chance to 2HKO

Give or take some EV investment, I think the calculation looks something like this. I included Life Orb in the calculation not because I forgot to take it out, but because it helps account for the Special Attack increase that Mewtwo supposedly gets (and if Mewtwo's Special Attack buff isn't enough to at least rival the power granted by Life Orb then MegaMewtwo won't be nearly as impressive as we think it is.

With Mewtwo's high offensive stats, I highly doubt they'll buff it to that extent (894 is insane). Also, 894 in a stat is impossible to achieve. Even with a boosting nature and 252 EVs, base 255 SpA (highest number) is only 669 SpA.

Edit: @Jimmyftw *facepalm* I got the number 894 from the quote. I didn't come up with the number (because it's insane) myself. I even put the quote from the text in bold. *sighs*

Last edited:
With Mewtwo's high offensive stats, I highly doubt they'll buff it to that extent (894 is insane). Also, 894 in a stat is impossible to achieve. Even with a boosting nature and 252 EVs, base 255 SpA (highest number) is only 669 SpA.
Why do you need 894? A base stat of 174 with max EVs, IVs and a positive nature gives you 491. A Thunderbolt coming from that stat hits Dragonite for a maximum of 52.01%, assuming no Multiscale.

And 174 base SpA is pretty reasonable, being below Deoxy-A while being higher than everything else.

Last edited:
Don't get hung up on whether we pick max or min stats to calculate.
The only important assumption is EV/IV consistency between offense and defense.

Ummm.... guys let's not. Let's just... not.
Assuming Dragonite was Inner Focus, as most ingame Dragonite are indeed Inner Focus, the calculation for MegaMewtwo Thunderbolt vs. Dragonite goes something like this. Also, why would Dragonite have full HP and Special Defense investment? Nobody runs that, and it's improbable that you'll find something like that ingame.

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragonite: 153-181 (47.36 - 56.03%) -- 80.08% chance to 2HKO

Give or take some EV investment, I think the calculation looks something like this. I included Life Orb in the calculation not because I forgot to take it out, but because it helps account for the Special Attack increase that Mewtwo supposedly gets (and if Mewtwo's Special Attack buff isn't enough to at least rival the power granted by Life Orb then MegaMewtwo won't be nearly as impressive as we think it is.

I'm not saying what it is
I'm only saying what's possible.
Doubled SpA is possible and indeed likely unless they've pit a really weak Dragonite against a maximally Evd and IVd MegaMewtwo.
But why? The Pokemon are probably randomly generated with roughly equivalent EVs/IVs.
Just food for thought that's all.

pokemonxy.com said:
With the extra focus provided through MegaEvolution, Mega Mewtwo's Sp. Atk is sure to overwhelm other Pokemon! It will probably be unstoppable!
;)

lol

BTW, I've said that I don't think MegaStats will be calculated from base stats but will be simple multipliers similar to stat stage boosts, boosting items or abilities like Huge Power. There's no hard proof of it yet but that's how it's looking to me.

Last edited:
Here are two new gameplay videos. You can see HM Fly's animation(Still has the unknown bird, but whatever) & Bounce/Dragon Pulse's attack animations as well;

Interesting how GoGoat took 3 Dragon Pulses. It either means GoGoat has some serious Sp.Def or Noivern's Sp.Atk isn't as high as some of us want it to be...

Last edited:
from pokemon sunday lv 30 chespin OHKOed a lv 21 pikachu with vine whip....

So it seems that chespin has atk similar to turtwig...maybe slightly higher. In my calculations I assumed max atk turwig level 30, 31 ivs in atk. Only if pikachu had 0 ivs in defense and less than 31 ivs in Hp could vine whip KO pikachu

Did no one at the demo try to battle without megavolving mewtwo? That would be a good way to directly compare their power, but every video posted here has them click the shiny megavolve button immediately.

Was that Hydro Pump? Fennekin took it like a champ.
Yes

That video is from June 30th at some Japanese game/trade show and it's how we know about some of the moves (Froakie having Bounce, Hydro Pump; Fennekin having Psychic; Chespin having Wood hammer, etc)

Pokemon Sunday with some more Demo footage

wow these animations, dem graphics! OMG!
Also, the second move Gogat did was the same one that Sylveon FIRST did in it's first reveal trailer. Which means it JUST MIGHT BE Double-Edge or Take-Down or some other Tackling Normal move...did anyone see Gogoat taking recoil?

Edit: most likely Double-Edge or Take-Down as you can hear the Low HP music coming on after it does it...and turning off...omg it turned off?! YES NO MORE ANNOYING LOW HP MUSIC!!
Now it's like an alert...SO MUCH BETTER!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)