Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope that dual typed attack increase diversity instead of straight up outclassing/removing options.
Scald being less powerful than Surf, but with a 30% burn gives both moves a niche. Even though Scald is usually better, many choice item users opt for the extra power.
If Scald had 100 base power AND a chance to burn, then that would fall into the removing diversity category since Surf would be useless. Likewise, if they change Scald to a dual typed attack, then they are removing a defensive water option to basically outclass HP Fire. It would be backwards progress in terms of variety :/
We'll see what happens.
Why did you write this as if dual typed attacks are real? This is how misinformation starts.

Reactions: PME
Currently, there are two types of Pokemon that learn Scald: Water types and Emboar. Neither of which uses HP Fire because they either have Ice Beam or Fire attacks (this includes Slowbro and Octillery) to deal with Grass types. Also, if a Water is going to run HP, it's going to run HP Grass/Electric to deal with other Watertypes. What are you worried about?

Also, why are you assuming Scald gets a 20 BP increase?

Considering how many of the rumors have been proven true already, it seems like a safe assumption that this will too.
but theyre really is no proof at all and just because one site is right sometimes doesnt mean it will be all the time and besides i find it hard to believe game freak will take another risk that big theyve been pretty cautious in the past so why expect them to have a complete attitude change

but theyre really is no proof at all and just because one site is right sometimes doesnt mean it will be all the time and besides i find it hard to believe game freak will take another risk that big theyve been pretty cautious in the past so why expect them to have a complete attitude change
For the record: The Dual Type attacks rumour was part of a big batch of rumours leaked by the same guy to pokebeach. A lot of the other rumours in this batch were proven true.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Likewise, if they change Scald to a dual typed attack, then they are removing a defensive water option to basically outclass HP Fire. It would be backwards progress in terms of variety :/
No! Not HP Fire! Please, anything but HP Fire! HP Fire isn't outclassed by any other Fire-type moves (What is Flamethrower? What is Fire Blast? What is Lava Plume?), and is the very definition of variety, I mean, basically every Pokemon in existence gets it! SAVE HIDDEN POWER FIRE! BAN SCALD!

Considering how many of the rumors have been proven true already, it seems like a safe assumption that this will too.
Sure, maybe once there's something officially revealed that even possibly suggests it might be real. At the moment we're less than 2 months from release and dual typed attacks seem about as made up as can be. Getting pretty close to the end of any new features coming out.

With dual type attacks, I figure the best way to go would be to have the move be one type when used but a different type for the purposes of the type chart.

Let's use Muddy Water as an example. Let's say it was retconned into a Water-type Move that deals Ground-type Damage.

Muddy Water would be a Water-type move for the purposes of:
  • STAB
  • Items like Mystic Water and maybe Passho Berry
  • Weather (Rain buff, Sun nerf in this case)
  • Abilities from the user, like Torrent
  • Abilities from the opponent, like Dry Skin
It would be treated like a Water-type move in all those areas, but it would hit like a Ground type move. So it would hit Pikachu SE, but Gliscor wold be immune. Due to technicalities, this would mean that Levitate users lke Flygon would be hit by this Muddy Water, but flyers like Dragonite would be immune. Given Muddy Water's limited distribution (I think all such moves will suffer from this) it's a great asset to Pokemon that get it but not everyone would enjoy it. Swampert would love this move on a Rain Team for extra power, though Toxicroak would then destroy it due to Dry Skin. Pure Waters who get MW would be buffed tremendously, essentially having secondary STAB.

I think Dual-type moves can work like this is they limit distribution of those moves and use interesting combinations. Especially moves that either start or end as Fire or Water moves to either benefit from or bypass weather. I think Scald would become a Fire STAB move that hits like a Water move though, severely nerfing it for most mons but benefitting Emboar and sun teams in general, who would have a 120 BP move that hits Fire and Rock types SE and isnt ruined by a TTar switch.

Edit: This would also be FANTASTIC for signature moves for Pokemon who already have decent STAB.

Last edited:
It could be better if these rumored Dual-type attacks work like the dual-school spells in World of Warcraft: Its effective type depends on which one damages the target the most

(Using the above example, Muddy Water would be Water-type on Gliscor and Ground-type on Pikachu)

... no, it wouldn't be good either...

That could work too, but there's more to this than the type chart. Type-boosting items, STAB, weather, abilities... how would, say, a Fire-and-Electric move affect Heatran, who's neutral to both but has Flash Fire? How about in the sun? If the user holds a magnet? If Mud Sport or Water Sport are used?

That could work too, but there's more to this than the type chart. Type-boosting items, STAB, weather, abilities... how would, say, a Fire-and-Electric move affect Heatran, who's neutral to both but has Flash Fire? How about in the sun? If the user holds a magnet? If Mud Sport or Water Sport are used?
You calculate both (Using the same random numbers) as if they were different attacks and choose whichever has the highest result

This way, a Fire/Electric move would never boost Heatran's Fire moves (As it would only deal Electric damage) nor heal Jolteon (As it would only deal Fire Damage)

If a pokémon were neutral to both Fire and Electric and neither are boosted, then it would be damage of either type, chosen at random

If there were modifiers such as Charcoal, Magnet, Water Sport or Mud Sport, then they would be taken into account, and as before, the one with the higher damage would be chosen

Last edited:
All the talk of dual type moves legitimacy (I think if they're shown off at all it will be next month to coincide with the Fairy type chart) reminds me of something

We all remember this part of the rumor
Like in B/W you have two rivals – one is friendly and the other is competitive. Your rival that is more friendly gives you his/her fully evolved starter Pokemon after you beat the game.
And some people assumed it was just incorrect, that maybe his definition of rival was different or maybe even that there was another character designed for being the rival

I think most of us made the assumption that we'd fight all of our friends as rivals, yeah?
Well what if we don't?

The demo had 3 of our friends running around: Shauna, Tierno and Calem/Serena. We didn't actually fight Tierno, Shauna is shown to be extremely friendly and has the starter weak to ours and Calem/Serena has the starter that trumps ours (& the website makes a point to say she wants to become a powerful trainer).
Might just be we dont fight all 4 at every junction like in BW1 and we do fight Tierno & Trevor later, or they were just cut for time issues in the demo, but I dunno just something to think about I guess

All the talk of dual type moves legitimacy (I think if they're shown off at all it will be next month to coincide with the Fairy type chart) reminds me of something

We all remember this part of the rumor

And some people assumed it was just incorrect, that maybe his definition of rival was different or maybe even that there was another character designed for being the rival

I think most of us made the assumption that we'd fight all of our friends as rivals, yeah?
Well what if we don't?

The demo had 3 of our friends running around: Shauna, Tierno and Calem/Serena. We didn't actually fight Tierno, Shauna is shown to be extremely friendly and has the starter weak to ours and Calem/Serena has the starter that trumps ours (& the website makes a point to say she wants to become a powerful trainer).
Might just be we dont fight all 4 at every junction like in BW1 and we do fight Tierno & Trevor later, or they were just cut for time issues in the demo, but I dunno just something to think about I guess
I would really like this. It'd be stupid of the trainer to do it, but I like it a ton because it would ease the amount of trading you'd have to do to complete the dex. GF must have noticed that most real-life trainers are loathe to give up their starter, after all.

I take that back when I said the event Torchic will always have fixed 31 IVs, but that's not the case. Compare the official screenshot from X/Y,

compared to this check of IVs from Psypoke:

and the IVs are not exact; they're in a range of IVs assuming Adamant nature.
That's a pretty bad torchic, hopefully ivs aren't fixed.

Anyone else think chespin has high atk and low speed from trailers? Froakie is the fastest, but its special atk isn't that great as fennekin took a hydro pump.

That's a pretty bad torchic, hopefully ivs aren't fixed.

Anyone else think chespin has high atk and low speed from trailers? Froakie is the fastest, but its special atk isn't that great as fennekin took a hydro pump.
I'm hoping Chespin gets faster as it evolves. It's quickly turning in to a Torterra clone.

I'm hoping Chespin gets faster as it evolves. It's quickly turning in to a Torterra clone.
I'm also getting the vibe of torterra clone. I did some calculations previously

from pokemon sunday lv 30 chespin OHKOed a lv 21 pikachu with vine whip....

So it seems that chespin has atk similar to turtwig...maybe slightly higher. In my calculations I assumed max atk turwig level 30, 31 ivs in atk. Only if pikachu had 0 ivs in defense and less than 31 ivs in Hp could vine whip KO pikachu
Yeah it has attack is close turtwig's attack or maybe higher unless vine whip's power changed from 35 to 40. It was also seen from PJ's trailer that chespin had 82 or 83 hp at level 30, from psypoke stat calculator, turtwig at level 30 has hp of 82 with 31 ivs in HP, so I also expect high hp as well. And being a chestnut, and its descriptions saying it has a hard shell I expect high defenses also. I hope pokebeach's rumors aren't true otherwise it will end up grass/dark, high hp, high atk, high defense, low sp atk, low sp def, low speed. Unless it becomes a better typing like grass/steel...I'm not too happy at what chespin might end up as so far.

But with pokebeach' rumors pretty much 97% true, I highly doubt it will be anything but grass/dark

Last edited:
But if you're doing damage of another type (say, my Fire Punch is a Fighting attack that does Fire damage) how does that make it a dual type attack? And before you say STAB, it's basically a Fire attack that also gets a power boost when Fighting types use it. If anything else uses it then it's in no way a dual type attack. And this doesn't come off as confusing to you?
The "Always does damage of one type but gives STAB of the other" model would confuse younger players. The "Is affected by both type effectivenesses", "Does whatever type would be more effective" and the "Does two attacks" methods are easier for kids to understand and are also actual dual type attacks.
I agree, the "Does one type of damage but gets stab as if it's another type" defy the meaning of stab. I mentioned a while back that this would effectively be called DTAB which is stupid. Young players don't even know what stab means and to tell them that this is dual type attack will confuse them. Heck, except for rare circumstances, the game does not even acknowledge stab exist, what makes you guys think they will acknowledge dtab exist?

According to this guy, Sylveon was apparently hit by a Dragon Pulse from Noivern. This would means Fairy is not immune to Dragon moves.

On that blog, you will find other interesting revelations he's posting such as Paralysis supposedly being able to cure itself like Confusion, Sleep and Freeze.

Take these with a grain of salt.
Or Syveon could have been Soak'd or otherwise had its fairy type taken away

Currently, there are two types of Pokemon that learn Scald: Water types and Emboar. Neither of which uses HP Fire because they either have Ice Beam or Fire attacks (this includes Slowbro and Octillery) to deal with Grass types. Also, if a Water is going to run HP, it's going to run HP Grass/Electric to deal with other Watertypes. What are you worried about?

Also, why are you assuming Scald gets a 20 BP increase?
It was just an example guys... Everyone starts freaking out. The 100 BP Scald was hypothetical to show how adding that would take away variety making Surf obsolete rather than a niche alternative.

Likewise, an effective 120 BP 100% accurate fire move with 30% chance to burn that is boosted by rain and Mystic Water to almost every water type would not increase diversity... It just makes waters OP and outclasses not only HP Fire, but Flamethrower and Fire Blast by a lot as well.

I'm just saying, I hope the dual typed attacks are balanced and add to the game rather than take away from it.

Edit: Specs Kingdra runs HP Fire in OU and Ubers for Ferrothorn.

Honestly, the fact that nobody else has said anything is pretty telling. A trainer would never use a move that doesn't affect the opponent, so if someone could confirm that Gabite had a Dragon-type attack, it would be as close as we'll get to a confirmation.

I agree, the "Does one type of damage but gets stab as if it's another type" defy the meaning of stab. I mentioned a while back that this would effectively be called DTAB which is stupid. Young players don't even know what stab means and to tell them that this is dual type attack will confuse them. Heck, except for rare circumstances, the game does not even acknowledge stab exist, what makes you guys think they will acknowledge dtab exist?
lol, you guys are struggling to make this complicated.
It's no more so than Psyshock, Psytrike or Foul Play.

Here is Psyshock's ingame description:
"The user materializes an odd psychic wave to attack the target. This attack does physical damage."
It's listed as a Special Attack so anyone with minimal knowledge of game mechanics will let pokemon with high SpA use it.

Here is a hypothetical Glow Punch description:
"The foe is punched with a flaming fist. This attack does Fighting type damage."
Simple. It'd be listed as a Fire attack so ahyone with knowledge of STAB would expect it to be boosted when used by Fire types.

The term 'dual typed moves' is not official as far as we know.
It was a description by the leaker of a gameplay mechanic that s/he saw.
Granted, I'm not saying that what's being here proposed is what it will be. It's just what I think.
OTOH, the suggestion that it would be this mindbending, terribly confusing thing doesn't compute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)