np: Always Wanted To Fly

Foreword (and Conclusion, too!)

It's been a long time since I made a RMT. Too long, in fact, to where it's nearly the end of Gen V as we know it. Once October hits I expect to join Team Malamar; that does not mean I won't play with teams involving some of my cherished favorites in all the tiers. In fact, building teams is what I live for in competitive battling. Building teams with my favorite Pokemon? Oh, man, get me in on that business! Unfortunately, I lost all of my teams when PokemonShowdown! revamped itself, and only remembered my Abomasnow team from OU.

This is my sendoff to Gen V, specifically the UnderUsed metagame. While I could wait for stuff to change insofar as the remaining Dream World abilities being released, I also have to prepare for the Gen VI metagame and all the lovely delights it brings. Here's to hoping the tiers in Gen V finally become balanced at some point.

Goodbye, my love, GOODBYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEE. ;_;

The Teambuilding Procedure

My favorite Unovan Pokemon is Bisharp. I found this awesome Dark/Steel Pokemon when inspecting Ubers metagame analyses of underrated Pokemon, as I can't just make teams with the mighty Parasect in them. I had also tried using this Pokemon in a Dark Horse team on OU that unfortunately wasn't cutting it in terms of handling guys like Keldeo and Kyurem-B. I do not have a legacy for Hanako the Bisharp, but maybe she can carve an epic tale in her own tier: UU.

When teambuilding, I had to consider covering Bisharp's weaknesses to the dreaded Fighting-type most of all. There are too many of those blasted brutes in UU, and they would almost all put an end to a beautiful sweep from Hanako the Bisharp if I'm not careful.

Fortunately for me, a handful of the Fighting-types in the UU tier are weak to their own STAB. The Metalman-esque irony is not lost on me, with proof in the pudding being one partner: Virizion. Her Grass/Fighting STAB is especially key to negating a majority of Bisharp's checks: needless to say, her primary STAB brutalizes most of them. Her other STAB moves are vital to making sure no Steel-type can harm Hanako's sweep.

Virizion also holds her own quite nicely. She drinks tea while being able to tank the Special attacks Bisharp cannot, and proceeds onward. Unfortunately, her tea-drinking is interrupted by the likes of Crobat, among other Flying-types who hit Virizion quadruply hard. While Bisharp is a handy Flying-resist, it cannot be my only one in regards to the defensive core I wish to uphold. Furthermore, both Virizion and Bisharp can still be hit hard by Fire-type attacks. That is bad.

Rhyperior is another of my favorite Pokemon; this time, she is my favorite in the entire UU metagame. Being super-tanky on the physical side is a major plus, as Bisharp's bulk pales in comparison and Virizion is not meant to tank physical hits. Rhyperior's movepool is supreme, meaning her sets could ideally range from OHKOing near everything with a Choice Band to simply setting up Stealth Rocks and phazing things out with Dragon Tail. Unfortunately, quadruple weaknesses to Grass and Water are a major, major problem.

As both Rhyperior and Bisharp are more vulnerable to Specially-based attacks, I cannot afford to only run one Specially-based wall.

On paper, this is where Slowking would save the day. In practice, I had found an old friend whose defenses are balanced enough and who would be able to have increasing resilience against not only Special attacks, but also Physical attacks. Suicune is one of the most famous defensive walls of Gen II and Gen III, meaning she was already in a bin awaiting my next move.

This team's defensive core becomes more and more solid as time goes on. While Suicune would normally worry about other Bulky Waters phazing her out, Virizion can dispatch of them with supreme ease.

My teams are almost always primarily defensive, which mean I should run a sweeper or two. Porygon-Z and Rhyperior, if given the chance, form an offensive core which could outright devastate most Stall teams. The only downside to having Porygon-Z at the moment is reinforcing a Fighting-type weakness, with Mienshao and Heracross being notable threats.

This sixth Pokemon was originally a Dusknoir, whose function was to be a switch-in for any Mienshao or Ambipom stupid enough to stay in on me; his goal of course being to SubPunch his way through the enemy with massive defenses and 252 HP investment to make the onslaught last. Unfortunately for my beloved physically-based Ghost-type, a few teambuilding exercises meant he was no longer needed as a Pokemon for combat. While Dusknoir is still a member of the team, his services are more or less calling for pizza and orchestrating the manly picnics which occur in between battles. He does a significantly good job.

(see: teambuilding best friend Geromy, the guy who gets the pizza
)

Dusknoir's replacement, Mew, is a significantly more versatile Mienshao check who also makes sure to keep Heracross in line. His Psychic STAB is more than invaluable offensively; Psychic and Fighting represent near perfect coverage, with it only really missing out on Sableye and Spiritomb - the latter not being a frequent member of most UU teams anyway.

You Wanted to See Their Sets, Didn't You?

Hanako (Bisharp) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick
- Substitute

Hanako the Bisharp has always been an idea of mine ever since I heard about a Typhlosion named Hertbreaker Charles. Like Heartbreaker Charles, she would sweep for days in the tier she resides in and not be afraid of anything. This is the set commonly found on Smogon, EV spread and all.

Substitute is for when Hanako would need to evade the common statuses of paralysis and burn commonly ushered in by many walls who would seek to make her ill. Swords Dance is required, as unboosted attacks are not the way to OHKO. While under a Sub, Hanako will need to Sucker Punch anybody attempting to break the Substitute. The only exception to this would be Cobalion and Virizion, two Pokemon who get boosts from Justified. They need to be hit with Low Kick, as the former resists Iron Head.

Lilly (Virizion) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Lilly comes to kick ass and drink tea. Unfortunately, as of this thread post she is out of tea. While my Dusknoir Geromy takes care of the supply of tea, I shall proceed to analyze what makes Lilly so good of a defensive ally to Hanako: her typing. Grass/Fighting is a decent defensive and offensive typing. It is even better when I play prediction wars. Many of Lilly's weaknesses are resisted by Hanako, who in turn can set up on many things looking to murderkill Lilly.

This was originally a Calm Mind set. However, I found the Swords Dance set to be more rewarding in dispatching the Bulky Waters. Many Bulky Waters enjoy investing in Special bulk as opposed to physical bulk, so it often catches them in awkward positions. Should they withdraw their once-intimidating bulky Water, I am guaranteed a Swords Dance and/or can use my coverage to terminate anything on the switch. A +2 boost often seals many Pokemon's fates.

EDIT: Speaking of sealing fates, I changed Secret Sword to Close Combat in order to get more power from Lilly's Fighting STAB. I also gave her a Lum Berry as maverick scalds can sour the mood. Now Lilly is less prone to a sweep ending due to paralysis or burn.

Emi (Rhyperior) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 16 Atk / 248 HP / 244 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Dragon Tail

Emi originally possessed a Choice Band set which supported Bisharp and Virizion by eliminating Fire-types outright, as well as nailing most walls with Megahorn or Ice Punch if the EdgeQuake combo didn't do the trick. I later realized I needed Stealth Rock support to make sure some OHKOs were guaranteed. Stealth Rock's ubiquity is unfortunate, but it saves the day for a majority of Pokemon who would otherwise be like Electivire and not OHKO anything.

This tank set helps make sure Emi has the Special defense to tank most attacks from that spectrum. She is quite sturdy and full of stmina, which is what makes the name fitting. She can also handle herself pretty nicely, albeit I'm still not sure if I could change Dragon Tail to Roar, or maybe something that can be a bit more beneficial to my team.

EDIT: While the EdgeQuake combo is magnificent, I lamented the misses from Stone Edge. I also had a bit of difficulty with some Substitute-based opponents which hate Rock Blast a lot more than they would hate Stone Edge. I had initially put Roar over Dragon Tail; but as some switch-ins hate Dragon Tail, Emi actually preferred that move over Roar.

Rin (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Calm Mind

Rin paints a more amicable picture of how my team is to accomplish its endurance of many threats. She uses a powerful, ancient technique often heard in whispers as "CroCune." It was once used by a powerful painter, much like Rin. However, said painter was overwhelmed by many interpersonal grievances and unfortunately met his own grisly end.

I would normally find RestTalk gimmicky, but Rin has the bulk to pull it off. It also has the solid mono-Water defensive typing to match the bulk she possesses. Rin is her best Rin when she sets up Calm Minds to wall things specially. She's also her best Rin when she uses Scald to make use of her good STAB and maybe hit a burn off of a mighty foe.

EDIT: Rin doesn't need Attack IVs, but she does need Attack IVs. This is beneficial to her because damage from Foul Play and confusion self-harm are minimized. Otherwise, no other suggestions were made in regards to Rin.

Shizune (Porygon-Z) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature

IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd / 0 Atk
- Tri Attack
- Dark Pulse

- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Trick

Wahahaha~

Shizune's Special Attack is nothing to scoff at. I power it up with a Choice Specs 'cause she will definitely need it. Adaptability Tri Attack can and likely will one-shot anything that's not immune or resisting. Since Tri Attack is not enough, I have Dark Pulse to nail every Ghost-type switch in. Normal and Dark-type coverage is not perfect, so I opt to incorporate the BoltBeam combo so that nothing escapes Shizune's wrath.

EDIT: Shizune is deaf to the notion of perfect IVs because usage of Hidden Power Fighting messes them up something fierce. She also no longer cares about Foul Play or confusion damage. I reverted back to using Hidden Power Fighting and Trick as moves 'cause HP Fighting is all I need to make perfect coverage with Tri Attack and Dark Pulse, while Trick essentially neuters many Pokemon on the switch as well as being a generally awesome way to stallbreak.

Kenji (Mew) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Kenji is necessary for my team as he's the Mienshao check amongst the group. His 100/100/100 bulk is fine uninvested, so I opt instead to make him a special sweeper in case Shizune cannot get at certain 'mons (such as Heracross). While he could ride a Scarf to make sure he checks Mienshao completely, it would definitely not be ballin' to have him do that (or would it?). My main draw to Mew is versatility.

As mentioned earlier in the teambuilding section, Psychic and Fighting are a really good combination for coverage. However, I still need to get at Spiritomb and Sabeleye, and so I make sure Fire Blast is employed. The other reason for Fire Blast is to net a OHKO on Escavalier, since I do not have Stoutland's Fire Fang doing that.

EDIT: Kenji's overall set was changed to be Specially Defensive instead of the Nasty Plot variant. This is mostly due to my need to guard against special attacks, but 10801 suggested this set because it works as a bulky pivot against Nidoking, Meloetta, and Shaymin, three Pokemon of whom I would otherwise likely have trouble with. I have my doubts about Will-o-Wisp, but as the fourth move is ostensibly filler I don't mind if I get a coverage move like Aura Sphere to aid me against a majority of Dark-types who don't care for SpDef Mew.

Also Kenji has 0 Attack IVs to make him too manly for Foul Play and confusion damage.

So That You May Use This Team If You Like
Code:
Hanako (Bisharp) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick
- Substitute

Lilly (Virizion) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Emi (Rhyperior) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 16 Atk / 248 HP / 244 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Dragon Tail

Rin (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Calm Mind

Shizune (Porygon-Z) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd / 0 Atk
- Tri Attack
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Trick

Kenji (Mew) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
EDIT: I made some changes to Pokemon sets, courtesy of Kingler12345, 10801, Kempo, and saxtonhale.

Last edited:
Hey Butterfree, nice team! I just have a few suggestions:

1) The IVs on Porygon, Suicune and Virizion are a little messed up. Since none of them have hidden powers, I'd change them all back to 31. That being said, Suicune, Porygon and Mew should all run 0 Attack IVs. This is too minimize foul play/confusion damage.
2) Rock Blast > Stone Edge on Rhyperior. Rock blast breaks subs and hits the subbed pokemon, pops lead ninjask right off the bat, breaks sashes/sturdies, can't be pp stalled as easily and boasts better accuracy. Also, dragon tail is generally better than roar since rhyperior has the attack stat to make it hurt and flygon and kingra are also common switch-in the rhyp.
3) I suggest replacing nasty plot mew with Specially Defensive Mew. This mew could work wonders as a stall breaker and could provide your team with a perfect switch-in to things like nidoking, meloetta and shaymin.

Hope this helps!

3) I suggest replacing nasty plot mew with Specially Defensive Mew. This mew could work wonders as a stall breaker and could provide your team with a perfect switch-in to things like nidoking, meloetta and shaymin.
Hm. You make a really good point. Unfortunately, I forgot what the Specially Defensive variant of Mew entails. Since you said it's a stall breaker, I'm gonna surmise you're referring to a variant that has Taunt in it. I might try it with Roost, Psyshock, and Will-o-Wisp as moves, since those all seem to make sense with what you're referring to (if not WoW, then I guess I have a fourth move which is filler).

Hm. You make a really good point. Unfortunately, I forgot what the Specially Defensive variant of Mew entails. Since you said it's a stall breaker, I'm gonna surmise you're referring to a variant that has Taunt in it. I might try it with Roost, Psyshock, and Will-o-Wisp as moves, since those all seem to make sense with what you're referring to (if not WoW, then I guess I have a fourth move which is filler).
Ya that's actually the exact set I was referring to. It works really well and it's actually really bulky.

Cool team justva few points.
1. Bisharp is okay but is very easy to work around zo keep that in mind. Haze and roar are not your friends. But thatz bisharp for you.
2.100% you need close combat on virizion and lum berry or life orb not leftovers.
I have more to say but will edit later...

"Metalman-esque"
You had me right there.

Great team man! 10801 is right, SpDef Mew would really help your team. Also, your Porygon-Z set should run HP Fighting and another move over BoltBeam. Trick can be useful, but it's your call.

I might actually give this team a try. High marks across the board.
-saxton

Hi! Maybe I'm just a noob who doesn't know the rules, but isn't it illegal to have duplicates of any item

I would reccomend replacing mew with chandelure to better take care of heracross and would also push through mienshao while giving you power against steel and grass types like registeel and non scarf shaymin.

The scarf set on this site is what I would reccomend for chandelure

EDIT: glad to know smogon doesn't employ a item duplicate ban, keep us updated on how the team works out.

Last edited:
Hi! Maybe I'm just a noob who doesn't know the rules, but isn't it illegal to have duplicates of any item
Actually, there isn't an explicit Item Clause that Smogon uses, other than the banning of Soul Dew to Ubers.

EDIT: Also; SpDef Mew seems to be fine at the moment, although I might consider Chandelure if I need to replace it.

Last edited:
I officially fixed the team; changes are made in purple, and I modified the teambuilding import/export so people looking to practice with this team are capable of doing so.

Actually, there isn't an explicit Item Clause that Smogon uses, other than the banning of Soul Dew to Ubers.

EDIT: Also; SpDef Mew seems to be fine at the moment, although I might consider Chandelure if I need to replace it.

Chandelure doesn't add much, and it just brings another ground weakness, which your team has trouble with already. I know you have the virizion to resist, but it gets worn down quickly. Not the biggest UU player, but you might want to swap out someone for a Gligar, to give you that resistance. If I had to replace someone, it'd be Rhyperior, as Gligar can cover the stealth rocks and provide status with toxic, as well as EQ for the fire types

Chandelure doesn't add much, and it just brings another ground weakness, which your team has trouble with already. I know you have the virizion to resist, but it gets worn down quickly. Not the biggest UU player, but you might want to swap out someone for a Gligar, to give you that resistance. If I had to replace someone, it'd be Rhyperior, as Gligar can cover the stealth rocks and provide status with toxic, as well as EQ for the fire types
Heh. You'd be surprised at how effective CroCune is against physical attackers and anything special that's not Raikou (unless it comes out later and I have several Calm Mind boosts mitigating damage from Thunderbolt).

As much as I wouldn't mind swapping Rhyperior out for Gligar to make a slightly better Emi, Rhyperior's physical bulk is pretty much unparalleled, not to mention its special bulk is actually pretty decent when you put some EVs on SpDef. At any rate, the ability Solid Rock is really nice to have since Rhyperior's weaknesses otherwise make it not able to tank certain hits. I tried a Choice Band set with Rhyperior that, while way too successful for its own good, was often OHKO'd by Water or Grass attacks - this and the fact I absolutely needed Stealth Rock and a phazer on my team are why I switched over to the Tank set.

Also, wouldn't Gligar make me weaker to Ice attacks? My only immediate answer to them is Virizion, due to its STAB and awesome Speed tier, since trying to set up on them with Bisharp tends to make out with disaster since those Ice-types pack a coverage move which checkmates me. Rhyperior is another alternate way to avert my Ice-type crisis, as Solid Rock saves its ass and I can set up Rocks to make it hard for most threats (like Victini, who has a Special set which makes my team beg for mercy without hazards) to be difficult to revengekill (which if I ran Choice Band Rhyperior, they probably would be revengekilled). Rhyperior also makes for a more powerful phazer due to having a stronger Dragon Tail (if Gligar gets Dragon Tail, which I don't think it does if memory serves me right).

While Mew is awesome, there's the simple fact Victini has yet to be banned from UU (if at all - I'm waiting to see what the Suspect Round holds in store). I could run a Choice Specs set (I can't wait to see the look on some people's faces) and have a revengekiller, which is something that while I could do with Porygon-Z it still misses out on certain 'mons. Furthermore, Victini has a typing which while reinforcing a Ground weakness means I still nail Mienshao and Heracross in the face. Fortunately, most of the Ground-types tend to be slow and either vulnerable to eating a Virizion Leaf Blade or Suicune Scald, or simply phazed out by Rhyperior.

I really ought to wait for the Suspect Test to happen before I actually employ Victini over Mew. Victini's saga of manly picnics could very well be over, so I don't want to run a Pokemon that'll be banned in a week. Otherwise, I might try it out and see if running Victini is better than running Mew for my team, Ground weakness or no.

quick update, scarf herracross trolls this team so badly it isn't funny, sweeping with megahorn

definitely need that gligar.

like literally shit on. nothing can switch in on it, as even rhyperior is 2hko

quick update, scarf herracross trolls this team so badly it isn't funny, sweeping with megahorn

definitely need that gligar.

like literally shit on. nothing can switch in on it, as even rhyperior is 2hko
I think it's just a matter of Scarf Heracross being bonkers in general.

Anyway, I made a Gligar Edition of my team of which is less consistently successful than the one with Rhyperior. While I obviously lose to Scarf Heracross without Gligar, with Gligar I get trolled by Shaymin, Xatu, and a slew of other threats which put more pressure on my other teammates.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-46403075
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-46404684
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-46405404
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-46406038

One of the main differences in the Gligar Edition is I forgot to name some of my Pokemon their designated names in it. Oh well.

EDIT: I also attempted to replace Mew with a Cresselia I would name "Miki," but while Cresselia is awesome in its own right due to Levitate and 120/120/120 defenses I think I still lose to Scarf Heraboss. I need to be better at keeping Miki alive as I think I also lose to Nasty Plot Mew just 'cause Shadow Ball.

Last edited:
Ok you definitely need to fix that fighting weakness specially to heracross. While mew is good enough to keep some of them at bay, its not enough in such a fighting infested tier. I honestly feel that chandelure should replace porygon z. Aside from checking heracross it also provides spinblock support. Definitely try this out, but other than that the team is pretty solid.

I think it's just a matter of Scarf Heracross being bonkers in general.

Anyway, I made a Gligar Edition of my team of which is less consistently successful than the one with Rhyperior. While I obviously lose to Scarf Heracross without Gligar, with Gligar I get trolled by Shaymin, Xatu, and a slew of other threats which put more pressure on my other teammates.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-46403075
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-46404684
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-46405404
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-46406038

One of the main differences in the Gligar Edition is I forgot to name some of my Pokemon their designated names in it. Oh well.

EDIT: I also attempted to replace Mew with a Cresselia I would name "Miki," but while Cresselia is awesome in its own right due to Levitate and 120/120/120 defenses I think I still lose to Scarf Heraboss. I need to be better at keeping Miki alive as I think I also lose to Nasty Plot Mew just 'cause Shadow Ball.

ok, but you are weak to arguably the most common threat in UU. Also, porygon literally does nothing for this team, as it is slow as shit and just not bulky enough to be that slow. replace the pory with the gligar.

ok, but you are weak to arguably the most common threat in UU. Also, porygon literally does nothing for this team, as it is slow as shit and just not bulky enough to be that slow. replace the pory with the gligar.
I shall see about replacing Porygon-Z with Chandelure first. As mentioned by SmashBrosBrawl, Mew alone is not enough to take on Heracross. While I was trying to take a break from UU-ing today, I shall attempt to see if replacing PoryZ with Chandelure does good to my team tomorrow. A new 'mon to call Shizune wouldn't hurt, even though PoryZ is hands-down my favorite Special sweeper outside of Victini (who I considered using over Mew once the Suspect test is over and if Victini is not sent to BL).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)