Perseverance - A Metagame to Tread Carefully In

Status
Not open for further replies.

PERSEVERANCE - OU WITH A TWIST.

Approved by Arcticblast

Welcome to the Perseverance Metagame!

This metagame is built around one big rule: If a Pokemon faints, the owner of said Pokemon automatically loses the battle. If it is a double knockout (from something like Iron Barbs) the owner of the Pokemon who faints first will lose.

This is the basic rule that everything is built on. With this in mind, battlers have to tread carefully or risk losing the battle in a single turn. 1 mistake could lose you the game. Suicide Leads aren't viable here, and hazards play an even bigger role than ever. Fearsome attackers such as Keldeo or Breloom can wreck teams in turns. You can't "check" a Pokemon any longer, you either have a counter or play extremely cautiously around it.

And of course, you must persevere through all of this in order to win matches.

Perseverance is set in OU environment with OU and below Pokemon and Clauses. Suicidal moves such as Memento, Healing Wish, Explosion, Selfdestruct, etc. are banned for obvious reasons. Trapping abilities and moves are also banned (Arena Trap, Shadow Tag, Whirlpool, Magma Storm, etc.) are also banned due to being an extremely easy win condition when played right.

Overall, this is quite a fun metagame to play because it encourages you to predict a lot harder and tread carefully. I urge you to challenge a friend in OU while enforcing these rules too try it out, and tell me your thoughts!

EDIT: The Perseverance Metagame is currently available to be played exclusively at the Frost Server!

Last edited:
Rules, Clauses, Etc.

Evasion Abilities Clause: Evasion abilities are banned
Sleep Clause Mod: Limit one foe put to sleep
Species Clause: Limit one of each Pokemon
OHKO Clause: OHKO moves are banned
Moody Clause: Moody is banned
Evasion Moves Clause: Evasion moves are banned
HP Percentage Mod: HP is reported as percentages

If a Pokemon faints, the owner of said Pokemon automatically loses the battle. If it is a double knockout (from something like Iron Barbs) the owner of the Pokemon who faints first will lose.

Arceus (all forms)
Blaziken
Darkrai
Deoxys (all forms)
Dialga
Excadrill
Genesect
Giratina (both forms)
Groudon
Ho-Oh
Kyogre
Kyurem White Form
Landorus Incarnate Form
Lugia
Mewtwo
Palkia
Reshiram
Shaymin Sky Form
Thundurus Incarnate Form
Tornadus Therian Form
Zekrom

Arena Trap
Magnet Pull
Shadow Tag

Destiny Bond
Memento
Healing Wish
Lunar Dance
Grudge
Explosion
Selfdestruct
Final Gambit

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I would guess they are banned to stop trolls.

Bulky Offense is clearly the most prominent play-style here. I think that Nidoqueen will be a hit in this metagame with her power and bulk at the same time.

I will say now though that it makes no sense having Excadrill and Blaziken banned but not Mewtwo and Palkia.

I think this meta will really favor strong pokemon that can ko stuff off the bat over bulky offense. The reason for this is, if you kill something, you win. That makes this metagame somewhat similar to single pokemon battling, to be honest.

So lugia reshiram mew two Palkia etc are allowed?
I would guess they are banned to stop trolls.

Bulky Offense is clearly the most prominent play-style here. I think that Nidoqueen will be a hit in this metagame with her power and bulk at the same time.

I will say now though that it makes no sense having Excadrill and Blaziken banned but not Mewtwo and Palkia.
Final Gambit allowed ohohohoho
All of this added, thanks for reminding me, I was really tired last night when I was typing this so please forgive me ;3.

TheBurgerKing99 said:
I think this meta will really favor strong pokemon that con ko stuff off the bat over bulky offense. The reason for this is, if you kill something, you win. This makes this metagame somewhat similar to single battling to be honest.
It is quite like single battling, however unlike 1v1, you can switch around your Pokemon. This opens up more options and makes the match less luck based. Try it out, it's fun ;) (and currently being developed on the Frost Server).

Last edited:

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
I love this tier! I'm absolutly nuts about it. Having a tourny? Is it Perseverance? No? I'm out.

Anyway, I found that my Water Monotype team works well with a few tweaks. Keep an eye out for Shadow Tag pokes, as well as Perish Song + Mean Look/Block. (Lapras is the only one with Perish Song and Block, but others have Mean Look.) Whirlpool is also viable, as it traps the opponent, leaving it as prey for Perish Song. I'm looking at you, Politoed.

I love this tier! I'm absolutly nuts about it. Having a tourny? Is it Perseverance? No? I'm out.

Anyway, I found that my Water Monotype team works well with a few tweaks. Keep an eye out for Shadow Tag pokes, as well as Perish Song + Mean Look/Block. (Lapras is the only one with Perish Song and Block, but others have Mean Look.) Whirlpool is also viable, as it traps the opponent, leaving it as prey for Perish Song. I'm looking at you, Politoed.
Thanks! I see that you use the frost server, which features the perseverance metagame. Be sure to challenge me there, I'm under the alt "Priest"! Have fun! Also be aware that Trapping moves and abilities are now banned due to being an easy win condition.

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Actually, Pursuitmons fare the best I'd say. Sadly, I haven't found any amazing Pursuitmons yet, but I'm still looking.

I'd guess pokemon with a lot of weaknesses or 4x weaknesses, especially Tyranitar and Celebi, would lose a lot of viability here as a LOT of Pokemon can take them down with a strong coverage move.

On the other hand, Draco Meteor / Outrage spam can potentially win you the game immediately. =/ Hope the dragons don't end up being as ridiculously dominant here as they are in standard, as I can't see many things faring too well against Latias or Hydreigon's power and coverage moves.

I could actually see Slaking being viable here. Its choice band Giga Impact just destroys most things, and it has Earthquake, Hammer Arm, and Night Slash or Sucker Punch for coverage. On top of that, is has a sky-high 160 attack stat and respectable 150/100/65 defenses and a good 100 speed.

Slaking can OHKO defensive threats such as Gliscor, Vaporeon, Chansey, Jellicent, and Ferrothorn, while getting a guarrunteed OHKO against almost everything else.

Also, if you can get a Riolu onto the field without taking damage while the opponent has entry hazards and lacks faster priority, you've pretty much won. A Forretress would be a good teammate as it can rapid spin away hazards, lay down hazards, and then Volt Switch out to get your Riolu in safely, moving after almost all pokemon. The Riolu can then take any attack with its focus sash and use Roar to force the opponent to switch out and take entry hazard damage before spamming Copycat, almost always getting a KO.

Faster priority, ESpeed, Feint and Fake Out can cut Riolu's spam short, though.

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
The problem with Slaking is that its ability is absolutely TERRIBLE. All you need is Protect and you can usually beat Slaking. Riolu isn't a bad idea, though. Without priority, it's impossible to get around Prankster.

The problem with Slaking is that its ability is absolutely TERRIBLE. All you need is Protect and you can usually beat Slaking. Riolu isn't a bad idea, though. Without priority, it's impossible to get around Prankster.
Of course that is a major problem Slaking has, so it isn't without its weakness, but Slakings good bulk and ridiculously powerful Giga Impact are enough to enable it power through most threats. Make sure it doesn't go against a pokemon with protect, detect, substitute, or endure, though, and it should be able to destroy most pokemon before they can move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)