Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of evolution, I hope that game freak doesn't use megas as an excuse to not evolve past generation's pokemon. Megas are cool and all, but if they somehow decided that they only have to release 100 pokemon or less because mega evolutions make up the difference, I think I'd be inclined to disagree with them. Perhaps my concerns are unfounded though, as we have seen Sylveon just as we saw Weavile before the fourth generation.
Yeah, I'm thinking the very existence of Sylveon means they haven't stopped making new evolutions for old Pokémon.

Yeah... I know but... I just want them to make a decent electric rodent pokémon...
And why exactly should a rodent be electric? If Dedenne doesn't actually have some connection with Pikachu, then it's just bad designing on the part of GF (Copying their own designs doesn't make it any better).

Well they always have an electric rodent with no evolutions (exception Pikachu ) so why should they change that now. I mean anyway its not like anyone will ever use Dedenne, Emolga, Pachirisu, Minun, Plusle ect because they don't evolve and have bad stats. They are just filler pokemon

And why exactly should a rodent be electric? If Dedenne doesn't actually have some connection with Pikachu, then it's just bad designing on the part of GF (Copying their own designs doesn't make it any better).
It doesn't have to, it's just that since gen I they've been making all these pikachu-like pokémon and they're always bad, so I'd like to see a decent poké coming out of these concept (electric, cute rodent)

Well they always have an electric rodent with no evolutions (exception Pikachu ) so why should they change that now. I mean anyway its not like anyone will ever use Dedenne, Emolga, Pachirisu, Minun, Plusle ect because they don't evolve and have bad stats. They are just filler pokemon
I'd actually use Dedenne if it evolved. I like its typing and its ability (and it's cool)

@amnz but they are not going to, I don't think. They are just using the same formula to make filler pokemon. But maybe one day we will get a electric rodent with an evolution which has good stats and is a viable choice to put one your team (wishful thinking )

Osiris

Glasses Jacket Shirt Man
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It doesn't have to, it's just that since gen I they've been making all these pikachu-like pokémon and they're always bad, so I'd like to see a decent poké coming out of these concept (electric, cute rodent)

I'd actually use Dedenne if it evolved. I like its typing and its ability (and it's cool)
I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking of that. I really do hope it evolves.

If anything, Snorlax sounds the most like its old cry.
N-N-N-NO IT DOESN'T
(and how dare they edit Zoroark's crazy burst of an auto-tuned cry so heavily)
Mice and gerbils naturally look a lot alike, are you going to blame biology for not thinking it's designs through? When it comes to new Pokémon who have obvious similarities to Pokémon from previous generations, it shows that Game Freak is trying to replicate the real-world phenomenon of divergent speciation. It isn't ever mentioned, but it's implied that the reason Pikachu/Raichu and Dedenne look similar but are distinct species is because they may have once shared a common ancestor that branched off into a variety of new species.

Last edited:
N-N-N-NO IT DOESN'T
(and how dare they edit Zoroark's crazy burst of an auto-tuned cry so heavily)

Mice and gerbils naturally look a lot alike, are you going to blame biology for not thinking it's designs through? When it comes to new Pokémon who have obvious similarities to Pokémon from previous generations, it shows that Game Freak is trying to replicate the real-world phenomenon of divergent speciation. It isn't ever mentioned, but it's implied that the reason Pikachu/Raichu and Dedenne look similar but are distinct species is because they may have once shared a common ancestor that branched off into a variety of new species.
I think, in Pokemon-Amie, the cries are warped a bit. Like how when a Pokemon uses Growl (maybe it's Roar? Or both) its sounds similar but not the same. You can hear Snorlax's "real" cry the first time, then a slightly different one shortly after that. Might also be the case with Zoroark.

But, in the demo battles, it's easy to hear that the cries have been updated to not sound like they're coming out of an original Game Boy anymore.

I think, in Pokemon-Amie, the cries are warped a bit. Like how when a Pokemon uses Growl (maybe it's Roar? Or both) its sounds similar but not the same. You can hear Snorlax's "real" cry the first time, then a slightly different one shortly after that. Might also be the case with Zoroark.

But, in the demo battles, it's easy to hear that the cries have been updated to not sound like they're coming out of an original Game Boy anymore.
Yeah, Growl and Roar tend to warp the cries a bit. I think Howl and Hyper Voice do this as well- Actually, I know Hyper Voice does this- whenever I have my Liepard use it I have to lower the volume, otherwise the first part of the cry sounds like a high-pitched scream.

Not sure how I feel about the cries being updated, though. On the one hand, it's pretty cool that they're being redone to sound more modern. On the other hand, I had all the old cries completely memorized and now I'm gonna have to do that aaaaall over again. I wonder, though, if Charizard and Rhyhorn's cries will still sound identical?

I kinda really dislike the updated sounds to make them more anime-like because 1) I'm a sucker for nostalgia and 2) the anime should have no bearing on the games, which were first. Just my two cents~

HA CELEVER

I kinda really dislike the updated sounds to make them more anime-like because 1) I'm a sucker for nostalgia and 2) the anime should have no bearing on the games, which were first. Just my two cents~

HA CELEVER
Sucker for nostalgia? I hear that. I still play RBY on occasion myself. Primarily for the glitch Pokémon. On that topic, though, if you're a sucker for nostalgia, then shouldn't Pikachu's updated cry take you right back to Yellow Version?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I really, really doubt Dedenne will evolve. The reason? Marketability.

Since the success of Pikachu, and to some extent Pichu, GameFreak have included a cutesy electric rodent in every generation. It has become hugely popular among girl fans, often has a prominent part in the Anime, and comes fairly early in-game (around the third gym or so - so it can be a part of your (little sister's) team throughout the entire journey). Making an evolution for the cutesy rodent would involve giving it a "competitor", so to speak - another similar creature it will have to share the limelight with. Also, the rodents are famous for their cuteness, and as the pre-evo tends to be the most huggable in an evolutionary family, there would be many fans who prefer not having it evolve. So the rodent stays single-stage, keeping the marketing spotlight aimed and focused on itself.

So we have a Pokémon that by necessity has to be single-stage, and by necessity must be found early in the game. To prevent it from being overpowered, its stats have to be set fairly low. It might be good for in-game, but it will always come short of the standards of high-tier competitive play. Its purpose isn't kicking ass in battle anyway, it's to sell plushies and appear on posters.

However, it would be a stretch to say that Dedenne is doomed to suck per se. Quite few Pokémon do that nowadays. It will probably sport an extensive movepool, giving you plenty of options to fill in its four moveslots when touring Kalos. Since the number of available moves increases for every generation, fewer and fewer Pokémon are forced to run weak moves throughout your adventure (see many Gen. I Pokémon, for instance). Dedenne's stats are hopefully not totally pathetic either, making it capable of going toe-to-toe with many in-game opponents. It will probably be fun to play with, which is my main measure of suckiness - though, don't expect the same to be the case in competitive battles.

Dedenne's stats are hopefully not totally pathetic either, making it capable of going toe-to-toe with many in-game opponents. It will probably be fun to play with, which is my main measure of suckiness - though, don't expect the same to be the case in competitive battles.

I have the feeling it's going to play very similarly to Pachirisu, only that Dedenne will have an additional Fairy typing and STAB Fairy moves. I also have the feeling that Dedenne will be slower than Pachi but will have higher offensive stats instead.

Does anyone else think that the wild pokemon present in the demo vary depending on which starter you were randomly assigned? I haven't seen a single Exeggutor in any of these videos outside of that one time, and Skitty was present in that case too.

Yeah, I'm thinking the very existence of Sylveon means they haven't stopped making new evolutions for old Pokémon.
And yet Mawile got a mega evolution instead of an actual one

Meanwhile, Sylveon is both a special case and the only actual old-pokemon evolution we've seen this generation.

And yet Mawile got a mega evolution instead of an actual one

Meanwhile, Sylveon is both a special case and the only actual old-pokemon evolution we've seen this generation.
You make a good point, but still, I'm not fully convinced that Mega Evolutions are going to completely take the place of giving new evolutions to old Pokémon. Even if Sylveon does turn out to be the only new evolution we get this generation, the fact remains that we don't know that for sure yet. Remember Generation IV? Remember how we got, what, Weavile, Roserade, and Electivire before the games were released? And now remember just how many other new evolutions there turned out to be? Honchkrow, Ambipom, Mismagius, Gliscor, Leafeon, Glaceon, Magmortar, Rhyperior, Froslass, Gallade, Yanmega, and Mamoswine, and that's just off the top of my head.

Basically, I'm saying that while you could very well be right, we can't say either way with certainty just yet. I do believe that the existence of Sylveon gives hope for other Pokémon gaining new evolutions, but right now that's only my opinion, and I could just as easily be wrong about that.

You make a good point, but still, I'm not fully convinced that Mega Evolutions are going to completely take the place of giving new evolutions to old Pokémon. Even if Sylveon does turn out to be the only new evolution we get this generation, the fact remains that we don't know that for sure yet. Remember Generation IV? Remember how we got, what, Weavile, Roserade, and Electivire before the games were released? And now remember just how many other new evolutions there turned out to be? Honchkrow, Ambipom, Mismagius, Gliscor, Leafeon, Glaceon, Magmortar, Rhyperior, Froslass, Gallade, Yanmega, and Mamoswine, and that's just off the top of my head.

Basically, I'm saying that while you could very well be right, we can't say either way with certainty just yet. I do believe that the existence of Sylveon gives hope for other Pokémon gaining new evolutions, but right now that's only my opinion, and I could just as easily be wrong about that.
Remember how in addition to 3 evolutions we also got 3 pre-evolutions and also a note saying there would be a number of new evolutions & pre-evolutions to older pokemon
compared to now where we have one (1) evolution and a new style of not-evolution almost exclusively shown with old generation Pokemon

HA CELEVER
The only one "anime-like" is Pikachu. The others were just updated so they don't sound 8-bit anymore.

As long as we get around 100-120ish new things like previous gens I don't really care if old stuff gets evos. I'd only be concerned if Megas take the place of new things and we ended up with 50-60 new things because of it but I doubt that's going to be the case.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Sylveon is a special case because Eevee has that whole unstable DNA gimmick, Fairy is a new type and also because it already wasn't a final-stage pokémon. I still believe we will get a couple branch evolutions, but I'm not expecting anything that was final stage in BW to get it.

Basically, nothing that couldn't use Eviolite will start using it in XY.
no, Eviolite isn't the reason for no new evos, don't even suggest it

Last edited:
Remember how in addition to 3 evolutions we also got 3 pre-evolutions and also a note saying there would be a number of new evolutions & pre-evolutions to older pokemon
compared to now where we have one (1) evolution and a new style of not-evolution almost exclusively shown with old generation Pokemon
Not saying either of you are wrong, but remember, we can't (1 eeveelution) rely (New type) on (Horde battles) prior (3d models) patterns (customizable trainers) to justify why something would or would not be a feature/a part of the game. It's a toss up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)