BH Doubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Balanced Hackmons is a pretty awesome metagame. It probably has more unique viable sets than any other metagame ever, and also has some of the most intricate and interesting mechanical interactions in all of competitive pokemon. That's in 1v1.

What about 2v2?

Balanced Hackmons Doubles is exactly what it sounds like: Balanced Hackmons with doubles rules. It is also a metagame designed to promote mechanically synergistic team building even more than doubles does. In BH doubles, you will have access to some of the most powerful synergies in the game. Here is an example of the kind of creativity that will be possible in BH Doubles.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Trait: Prankster
-Transform
-Imprison
-Spore
-Recover

and

Shuckle @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
-Sandstorm
-Recover
-Aromatherapy
-Rage Powder

Here's how this works: You send out Shuckle and Chansey, then use Prankster Transform to turn Chansey into Shuckle. You now have a 250 HP Chanshuckle with Eviolite. At this point, you can bring in a set up sweeper and use Rage Powder to buy yourself 5 turns to set up. It's pretty awesome.

Of course, there are many, many, many more combinations of moves and abilities that can be used to do awesome things. Part of the fun of this metagame is figuring them out.

Banlist
This being BH Doubles and not Hackmons Doubles, Wonder Guard, Pure/Huge Power, OHKOs, and Shadow Tag/Arena Trap are banned.

Suspect List (or, A List Of Things That Should Probably Be Banned, And Could Easily End Up Banned, But Aren't Banned Yet)

-Dark Void: This metagame is young, but I suspect having access to a Mold Breaker Dark Void given priority from an After You prankster will be pretty absurd, if hilarious. Shenanigans aside, the move itself is really, really good. Like really good. Like almost-twice-as-good-as-spore good.

-Water Spout: This is on the list because a 150 BP move that gets boosted by rain and hits BOTH opponents is probably too good to have. It is very likely to be overcentralizing.

-Eruption: While Reshiram's 90 Spe is slightly less threatening than Palkia's 100, this is on the list for much the same reason as Water Spout.

How To Play: BH Doubles can currently be played by selecting Doubles Custom Game when you challenge someone. Unfortunately, there is no ladder for it at the moment. However, I would like to see it get voted OM of the Month so that more people can experience the sheer, mad scientist insanity that the format can enable.

Does this sound like a meta you would play/vote for? What do you think about the suspect list? Any other cool combos or sets? Let me know in the comments!

Approved by Arcticblast/Verbatim

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.
So it has finally happened.

Prankster Copycat is gonna be screwed up. Guts Slaking/Regi might become popular again.

Games probably won't be as fast as regular Dubs since everything is so bulky, so setup might be more useful.

And how does Imposter work? Is it a random copy? That might also allow for more setup.

Imposter copies the pokemon directly across from it. It's still as viable as ever. Perhaps more so, since I imagine that anti Imposters will become less popular, at least for a bit.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
jesus...

Didn't the OM forum become much better when Doubles became official? Everything in this forum was Doubles (and STABmons), and now we are still cramming it with Doubles?

But that aside, I think this would be a really wierd metagame. Personally, I would not try to learn all the threats, considering that you have to think about all the possible sets for all the opponents. Too much thinking imo :(

First things first, agreeing with Laga on the whole "let's make Doubles versions of everything". Before anyone else says it, with Prankster, Fake Out, no weaknesses and handy immunities, and rolling in at a paltry 380 BST, Sableye will be a hit in Doubles Budgetmons.
I'm going to be honest, I'd support an unban of Shadow Tag et al; trapping abilities are not nearly as good as they are in singles (and, having very briefly been #1 on the ladder with a team with Gothitelle in it, I should know ;)).
The existence of Wide Guard similarly keeps those dangerous-looking spread moves in check. That's the whole point of BH, broken stuff is checked by other broken stuff, what do you think the B stands for?
This metagame will be absolutely crazy, btw. But I just don't see it being very popular - it's just TOO unpredictable.

Shouldn't all of this doubles shit be posted in the doubles forum.

I love balanced hackmons but I would probably not play this.

Last edited:
First things first, agreeing with Laga on the whole "let's make Doubles versions of everything". Before anyone else says it, with Prankster, Fake Out, no weaknesses and handy immunities, and rolling in at a paltry 380 BST, Sableye will be a hit in Doubles Budgetmons.
I'm going to be honest, I'd support an unban of Shadow Tag et al; trapping abilities are not nearly as good as they are in singles (and, having very briefly been #1 on the ladder with a team with Gothitelle in it, I should know ;)).
The existence of Wide Guard similarly keeps those dangerous-looking spread moves in check. That's the whole point of BH, broken stuff is checked by other broken stuff, what do you think the B stands for?
This metagame will be absolutely crazy, btw. But I just don't see it being very popular - it's just TOO unpredictable.
I think the main draw this would have over other doubles formats is that combos finally have the potential to be viable. It is much more different from regular doubles than STABmons doubles is or Budgemons doubles would be. Also, like I said, Eruption, Dark Void and Water Spout are not yet banned. Kl4ng and I did play some games and decide that they were likely to be overcentralizing, however, so I put them up there for consideration. Wide Guard is not really a great answer to these moves, as it trades 1/2 of your turn for 1/2 of theirs and cannot be used repeatedly. It is also an answer that is much more situational than the threat. Also, unbanning Shadow Tag could very well happen- if anything comes off the banlist, it will be that.

All I really have to say is that "Sky Drop" should be banned to stop all the random Gravity glitch and general disabling an opponent for 1 turn shenanigans. ;)

Here's how this works: You send out Shuckle and Chansey, then use Prankster Transform to turn Chansey into Shuckle. You now have a 250 HP Chanshuckle with Eviolite. At this point, you can bring in a set up sweeper and use Rage Powder to buy yourself 5 turns to set up. It's pretty awesome.
Okay, this is a pretty scary thought.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Water Spout vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Shuckle in rain: 344-408 (48.86 - 57.95%) -- 96.09% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Water Spout vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Shuckle in sand: 152-182 (21.59 - 25.85%) -- possible 4HKO

So you could actually take a full power, Rain-boosted Water Spout from Kyogre, change the weather to Sandstorm right after, and take the next hit super easily while healing yourself. Woah.

Yeah, that Chansey will never die. On the topic of Sky Drop, I'm a little unfamiliar with the glitch. How does it work, and is it implemented in Showdown?

I personally think that Mold Breaker Spore will be very powerful, since Magic Coat is actually extremely risky, and in a more fast paced metagame, Lum Berry is even better than it already is. Like the doubles metagame, Protect can work effectively on a status-orb user such as Regigigas. Rage Powder is very interesting on defensive pokemon (Maybe even Shedinja?). Pranksters such as Groudon (Which can abuse a priority Nature Power) will be common. but since Prankster will most likely be the most common ability, Deoxys-S will probably be an extremely common prankster supporter. Overall, I think Balanced Hackmons doubles is a very interesting metagame, i'm definitely going to try it.

Last edited:

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Huh. Didn't know that. Anyway, that would work extremely well with a Sturdy Shedinja. Only a Mold Breaker with Earthquake, Rock Slide, etc. could take it down, and you'll know if they have Mold Breaker. That being said, Pursuit might become useful on a Mold Breaker simply for that reason.

Shedinja is probably going to be very good in this meta. It would not surprise me if sand is fairly common and moldy pursuit exists.

Also:

Shouldn't all of this doubles shit be posted in the doubles forum.

I love balanced hackmons but I would probably not play this.
Why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)