Pokémon Corruptions

Have you either dropped your gameboy as a kid only to find yourself in some weird location with a weird color palette? Have you ever tilted the cartridge a little when you put it in? Have you ever tried using an Action Replay code only to get unrelated weird stuff to happen?

Would you like to explore hundreds of these glitchy worlds?

Welcome to Pokemon Corruptions. Here, you and others can perform the virtual equivalent of tilting a cartridge and gawk at the strange corrupt worlds it produces

How to corrupt:

Download the Vinesauce Corruptor
The Vinesauce Corruptor allows you to take a game and create a corrupt duplicate of it. Don't worry, your original game is still left perfectly in tact. Once you have it downloaded, it's time to learn how to use that bad boy:

How to use the Corruptor
Let me preface this by saying I am an amateur and have only been using this program for around 3 months. If you see better instructions, feel free to follow them. These are my instructions given by my previous experience.

You're free to ask me questions about the corruptor here, but DO NOT ASK FOR HELP REGARDING OBTAINING ROMS! Your post will be deleted and you will be infracted.

Your corruptor should look something like this (newer versions have a different looking ROM to corrupt section, but the instructions are still valid).

However, for the sake of what we're doing, we'll be ignoring everything but these options

What you'll need to focus on here:

Left side:
ROM to Corrupt: This is the directory of the rom you want to corrupt
Save Corrupted ROM to: This is the new corrupt rom you'll be creating. Note: create a new file named something like corruptyellow or corruptsilver. Do NOT save over the rom you're corrupting!
Overwrite file: This checkbox will write over your corrupt rom file whenever you corrupt. I suggest keeping it on
Run Emulator After Corrupting: With this checked, the corruptor will automatically load the emulator you're using. I do not recommend this while streaming as you may need to set up your selected window again

Right side (This is where the magic happens):
Enable Byte Corruption: Always have this selected. Without it, you won't have a corrupt game.
Start Byte:
End Byte: This is where the program stops corrupting the rom. If you want to corrupt up to the end of the rom, check the Auto End box.
Increment: This does not affect your rom in anyway, it's the increment by which your start / end byte will increase or decrease whenever you click the plus or minus buttons respectively. Feel free to use whatever here.
Corrupt Every Xth Byte: This is how often the corruptor will corrupt the rom. Lower values will get more corrupt games but will be harder to actually run. Higher will create easier to run games, but are generally less corrupt.
Add / Shift Right / Replace: This is what action of corruption the corruptor is performing. I recommend fairly low numbers here (in the 1 to 30 range) and to generally stick to add / shift right, but feel free to experiment.

Once you plugged everything in, click run, open your game in your emulator, and try exploring the horrifically distorted world!

What to Corrupt?
You can corrupt any sort of game, but the more advanced the system is, the harder it is to corrupt. I've heard of people being able to corrupt N64 games, but I've had next to no success corrupting them. DS games are also kind of fidgety. If you're just starting to corrupt, I recommend stating with very basic sorts of games like Gameboy and GBA games. I've had wild success corrupting those games and I'm sure you guys will too.

Streaming: The Best way to Corrupt
You will be running into a lot of wacky stuff while you corrupt. Stuff that might give you just a smirk but might make others lose their shit and cascade into you doing the same. For that reason, I would recommend streaming with some sort of audience. Traditionally, I've streamed with Google+ hangouts which is easy to set up, easy to join, and easy to stream, but the video streaming quality is horrendous. Setting up OBS on Twitch.tv takes a bit more time, but is SOOOO much higher quality and allows easier spectator access. It even saves the stream so you can make highlights later!

Corruption Highlights
You'll see some wacky shit during corruptions and its great to save the moment. Here, I'll be sharing screenshots and videos from really good corruptions I've come across. Note: it is perfectly possible to corrupt any game, but only Pokemon related corruptions will be shared here. Feel free to share yours as well!

Videos:

Pictures:

I've done some amount of corrupting with various games. Never Pokemon though, mostly due to not having them available at a moments whim, but also because rpg style games tend to not lend themselves for this all that well. Personally, I use much lower values all around, especially for increments.

Though, after taking a look at the Yellow/Silver stream (And tonight stream), I was wondering... is there a reason you aren't using the "Run emulator after corrupting" option? It should be faster than manually selecting it every time.

I've done some amount of corrupting with various games. Never Pokemon though, mostly due to not having them available at a moments whim, but also because rpg style games tend to not lend themselves for this all that well. Personally, I use much lower values all around, especially for increments.

Though, after taking a look at the Yellow/Silver stream (And tonight stream), I was wondering... is there a reason you aren't using the "Run emulator after corrupting" option? It should be faster than manually selecting it every time.
Yeah, it is faster alone, but it deletes the old VBA emulator window and OBS doesn't seem to automatically select the new one. I'll admit, I haven't experimented with really low values much since the guide I learned this all on recommended some higher values, but I'll definitely test it out.

I tried to corrupt it but it just shows a white screen. When i disable the corruptions or make no changes it decides to work. How do i fix it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)