Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I let my Pokémon die. I get the ones I care deeply about to have offspring and then the parents eventually get lost in old game cartridges. It's more fun to retrain a Bulbasaur every now and again than to keep my old Venusaur who stopped growing long ago beyond learning a new competitive moveset. I'll admit, being unable to carry old Pokémon over would bug me, because I have several Pokémon I'd want to make post-game teams out of. I'll just get over it by not selling my White 2.

And now, for an earworm.
~Memories, all alone in my game case~
Ok, what

Have you no soul

Granted, there are some Pokemon that have been been lost to time, even in my old games.

But I definitely have Pokemon I'll never "let die," like my original team on Sapphire.

But HP Fairy is only base 70. You don't want neutral coverage, you want important SE coverage. Aside from dark types without focus blast...
According to the rumors, Fairy beats Dragon, Dark, Fighting, and Ghost, which I would say is pretty important, especially since Dragon types are currently such a big threat.

According to the rumors, Fairy beats Dragon, Dark, Fighting, and Ghost, which I would say is pretty important, especially since Dragon types are currently such a big threat.
Actually the rumor says nothing about Fairy's interaction with Ghost whatsoever.

Well, I was talking about possibility, not precedent. I know they didn't do that much of it from gen 2 to 3, but there was definitely some things done. And apart from movepools there is also the entire stats system and such that can be reworked. Again, I'm not saying there is anything specific I would expect, or even that I want, but, if there were considering doing major overhauls, I personally would prefer that to being able to transfer.
Quoting this for emphasis. We have megaevolutions, a new type chart, and of course the fact that the games are now rendered in 3D. If ever there were a time to overhaul and have the whole world start over, it's now. On top of that, it would give GF all the more reason to include a ton more pokemon in these games and potential 3rd gen remakes (I say potential because semantics, we all know it'll happen in 2 or so years anyway). Lots of events to get those rare legendary pokemon, etc...from a marketing standpoint, I honestly am starting to think it would be the BEST idea. It would level the playing field, too, because not everyone has reserves since Gen 3 and honestly transferring is a hassle. I'm all for it.

As a sidenote, everyone keep in mind that Hidden Power is never used for neutral coverage, but rather as a way to hit specific targets harder (think Gen 3 HP Grass or the ubiquitous HP Ice). The broad neutral coverage that Fairy is speculated to have doesn't really mean anything if there are better ways to hit the types Fairy is good against. And as far as I know, there are only 2 Dark/Fightings so far (Pangoro and Scrafty), 1 Dark/Dragon, and no Dragon/Fighting. Alternative coverage or STAB would probably be superior.

Dragon is currently the best offensive type in the game, but nobody uses HP dragon. Nobody uses Dragon Pulse or Outrage unless they get STAB on it

Dragon is currently the best offensive type in the game, but nobody uses HP dragon. Nobody uses Dragon Pulse or Outrage unless they get STAB on it
Dragon is only super effective against dragon, and is only resisted by Steel. Most dragons have high attack (Outrage) or high special attack. (Draco Meteor) An unresisted hit by either of these attacks is either going to OHKO or 2HKO anything. Not to mention the fact that both attacks have extremely high base power.

Lucario? Heatran? Charizard? Sceptile?
I have seen them carry it every now and again.
HP Ice is standard on Lucario's special sets over Dragon Pulse. Why? 4x effective is better agains the dragons than Dragon Pulse itself, with the exception of Hydreigon (who Luke hits with Aura Sphere) and the Lati twins (who Luke isn't beating anyway). I won't comment on Charizard, though it really should only be firing Sun-boosted STAB Solar Power Specs Fire Blasts. The only reason Sceptile runs it is to let it opt for HP Fire over Ice, which hits Scizor and Ferrothorn. Even then, it sometimes goes for Focus Blast / HP Ice over the former combo. Finally, Heatran once justified it so it could run HP Grass or something but I'm really not sure that it even does that anymore.

Yeah screw my shinies, IV bred/reset Pokemon, event Pokemon (some with exclusive moves) and other things. If you want a fresh start just don't transfer, or only transfer stuff you cannot give up on/are valuable, but them removing the whole transferring system would make me pretty pissed (along with others). HP Fairy has nothing to do with this, they themselves stated they are trying to find a system that connects DS and 3DS games. So unless they cannot think/make of such a think (unlikely). I am pretty optimistic that they will make a transfer system.

GF wants to keep that "every Pokemon is unique" thing with IVs and Natures. So we can be sure they'll not be letting that go anytime soon.

Ok, what

Have you no soul

Granted, there are some Pokemon that have been been lost to time, even in my old games.

But I definitely have Pokemon I'll never "let die," like my original team on Sapphire.
Do you ever think about dog breeding? Dog shows are followed by an entire network of breeders. Champion dogs die at some point, but the competitors still try to keep their fame as a top-notch dog breeder. In a lot of other games with multiple installments, you don't have the ability to move character data around. You have to build yourself back up from the beginning every time.

Pokémon, interestingly enough, gives you the opportunity to hold on to your favorite parts of former games. They separate the Pokémon continuity by creating an outlet to retain old memories and Pokedex slots. However, what matters about transferring is what is done with the Pokémon transferred. After the journey they were a part of, there isn't much to do with them that you couldn't do with new Pokémon during the main game. Each favorite that you move into a new game will probably:
a.) have to get its moves (and maybe EVs) reworked to be as useful as possible if you want to use it for post-game challenges
b.) provide support for exploring post-game routes
c.) sit in a box for you to look at every so often.
What starts as a travelling companion ends as a trophy. Your former teams that have won Pokémon leagues and ribbons start to build up shadow boxes in your PC. What's the point in keeping a landmark item like that if the most it can do is go in for wifi battles and fill a Pokedex entry?

To go back to the dog analogy, I think of my games as a continuing dog plantation with continually-improving graphics. New ones are obtained, bred, traded around, and eventually lost. But, the point of having a plantation is to always have dogs, even if your old favorites are gone. Having new dogs coming in is a means to stay busy raising dogs to meet their potential like what was done with their parents. I don't mind replicating that cycle in my games, because breeding children from my former champions is just my way of remembering their legacy.

Forgive me if I broke into any Kyubey-isms, but while I can see the competitive importance about having useful Pokémon with good specs, I don't see what's so great about any one person's Adamant-natured Swampert with maxed out Hp and Atk EVs.

But this isn't really the place to discuss the morals of training choices. Right now, I wanna know how high and low we have to search for Mega Stones. Will NPCs be holding them? Are they all hidden items that you need an Item Finder for? Could any of them be bought in specialty shops? Do we need Pokémon mounts to reach them? Are they found in special rooms or shrines dedicated to the Pokémon that the stone belongs to?

Last edited:
GF wants to keep that "every Pokemon is unique" thing with IVs and Natures. So we can be sure they'll not be letting that go anytime soon.
+1
Now I'm also thinking that even if they revealed the second evolutions of the starters,they might all be just single typed.The last evolutions might be the ones with the secondary typing.

+1
Now I'm also thinking that even if they revealed the second evolutions of the starters,they might all be just single typed.The last evolutions might be the ones with the secondary typing.
At least we'll get to speculate their secondary typing based on the designs of the secondary evolutions. Fennekin learns "Glow Punch", so I'd like to see if it becomes bipedal.

At least we'll get to speculate their secondary typing based on the designs of the secondary evolutions. Fennekin learns "Glow Punch", so I'd like to see if it becomes bipedal.
Thats a great idea but we can't be 100% sure about it because a lot of Pokemon learn moves which make no sense in particular.Wooper can learn Ice Punch even if it dosen't have any hands.We can't judge Pokemon by the moves they learn.Besides Glow Punch might not even be a real punch like move.It still hasn't been subjected to English translation,has it?

I also wouldn't be surprised if they keep giving Fire resistences because of being weak to Rock, Water and Ground.
ie: fairly common and strong typings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)