Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serebii is reporting a Pokemon XY specific Nintendo Direct scheduled for tomorrow, 9/4. No word on what they'll cover.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
4:00 AM PDT? That's... noon GMT. Lovely. 1 PM over here. Looks like my Building Physics class might take a back seat, then.

Looking at Mega-evolution, it sound more like an excuse for forme-changing with a fairy-talish name.
The better abilities are prob more worth it then the stat boost, assuming it isn't that big of a boost.

Okay, first off:
SE Against: Dragon (Confirmed), Dark(If calcs are accurate, highly probably), Fighting
NFE Against: Fire (Confirmed), Psychic (incorrect)
Immune to: Dragon
Weak to: Poison, Steel
Well, looks like I remembered the type chart wrong, but my point was that hitting Dragon and, to a somewhat lesser extent, Fighting super effectively is huge in the current meta game.

Second, because I never liked bringing up topics/posts from past pages and then not even contributing to the current discussion:
I'm predicting an updated type chart and some new mega evolutions.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they say that the updated type chart would be released in Corocoro this month?

Serebii is reporting a Pokemon XY specific Nintendo Direct scheduled for tomorrow, 9/4. No word on what they'll cover.
Anyone have any idea what might be included in the direct?I'm hoping Fairy's type chart and possibly some evolutions of older Pokemon(if there are any).
I'm sure they aren't going to show off the starters second evolutions.

Okay, first off:

Well, looks like I remembered the type chart wrong, but my point was that hitting Dragon and, to a somewhat lesser extent, Fighting super effectively is huge in the current meta game.

Second, because I never liked bringing up topics/posts from past pages and then not even contributing to the current discussion:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they say that the updated type chart would be released in Corocoro this month?
They did. The newest issue of CoroCoro could just be restating the stuff that is released tomorrow.

They did. The newest issue of CoroCoro could just be restating the stuff that is released tomorrow.
If the fairy type chart is revealed tomorrow,then there might not be any other info for Coro Coro to publish this month unless they are covering some useless topic like Mega Evolutions.

Do you ever think about dog breeding? Dog shows are followed by an entire network of breeders. Champion dogs die at some point, but the competitors still try to keep their fame as a top-notch dog breeder. In a lot of other games with multiple installments, you don't have the ability to move character data around. You have to build yourself back up from the beginning every time.

Pokémon, interestingly enough, gives you the opportunity to hold on to your favorite parts of former games. They separate the Pokémon continuity by creating an outlet to retain old memories and Pokedex slots. However, what matters about transferring is what is done with the Pokémon transferred. After the journey they were a part of, there isn't much to do with them that you couldn't do with new Pokémon during the main game. Each favorite that you move into a new game will probably:
a.) have to get its moves (and maybe EVs) reworked to be as useful as possible if you want to use it for post-game challenges
b.) provide support for exploring post-game routes
c.) sit in a box for you to look at every so often.
What starts as a travelling companion ends as a trophy. Your former teams that have won Pokémon leagues and ribbons start to build up shadow boxes in your PC. What's the point in keeping a landmark item like that if the most it can do is go in for wifi battles and fill a Pokedex entry?

To go back to the dog analogy, I think of my games as a continuing dog plantation with continually-improving graphics. New ones are obtained, bred, traded around, and eventually lost. But, the point of having a plantation is to always have dogs, even if your old favorites are gone. Having new dogs coming in is a means to stay busy raising dogs to meet their potential like what was done with their parents. I don't mind replicating that cycle in my games, because breeding children from my former champions is just my way of remembering their legacy.

Forgive me if I broke into any Kyubey-isms, but while I can see the competitive importance about having useful Pokémon with good specs, I don't see what's so great about any one person's Adamant-natured Swampert with maxed out Hp and Atk EVs.

But this isn't really the place to discuss the morals of training choices. Right now, I wanna know how high and low we have to search for Mega Stones. Will NPCs be holding them? Are they all hidden items that you need an Item Finder for? Could any of them be bought in specialty shops? Do we need Pokémon mounts to reach them? Are they found in special rooms or shrines dedicated to the Pokémon that the stone belongs to?
No soul.

Pokemon Direct....tommorrow!? Oh man I'm aboard the hype train. If its anything like the first one, I really hope they completely surprise us and not show us something we expect (like starter evos or more mega evos) because that's not really a surrprise. I'm hoping they reveal a new mechanic as game changing as mega evolutions.

SE Against: Dragon (Confirmed), Dark(If calcs are accurate, highly probably), Fighting
NFE Against: Fire (Confirmed), Psychic (incorrect)
Immune to: Dragon
Weak to: Poison, Steel
oh damn i thought it was supposed to be only good against dragon guess I forgot about those other types. Guess that's why I thought it wouldn't be a good attacking type.

I have no idea why some people don't want backwards compatibility, just because they want a new fresh start. Just like some people have said before, transfering is only possible after the main game and you have the choice whether or not you want to transfer. Nobody is forcing you to use it. I would like (perhaps even demand) backwords compatibility just for the fact that I have more than 100 mons that were bred/caught and trained up to lvl 100 and I want to use them again in Wi-Fi battles. I really have no desire in rebreeding, recatching and levelling them up AGAIN. X & Y will most likely make hackmons unable to battle in Wi-Fi battles, so that is another argument against BC going down the drain.

And besides, I think GF has learned a lot from Gen 3 (hopefully?), and because they said they were working on it (they encountered problems, I know), I think BC seems likely.

Oh, and finally new news tomorrow. Hoping for new Mega-Evolutions, new gameplay and perhaps even starter evolutions.
Btw, this is just the second Pokemon Direct right? If so, hopefully it's just as awesome as the first one was.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus

All aboard the hype train, woo woo!

I have a bad feeling about this, especially since this was announced all of the sudden.

Arceus forbid, we hear Iwata say "we want to take more time". At this point, I'm willing to accept any news, good or bad, or even no news (just another Pokémon history segment), as long as it's not a delay.

Less than 24 hours, people!

I have a bad feeling about this, especially since this was announced all of the sudden.

Arceus forbid, we hear Iwata say "we want to take more time". At this point, I'm willing to accept any news, good or bad, or even no news (just another Pokémon history segment), as long as it's not a delay.

Less than 24 hours, people!
Nintendo Directs are always announced only a day or two before they come out, and they would dedicate one to a delay.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I know a lot of people are hoping for a "fresh start" because it helps reduce the power creep that happens at the start of each generation just a bit. For example, Salamence and Kyurem-B would not have access to Outrage, Stealth Rock would have extremely limited distribution, etc.

Keep in mind, you are on Smogon, so people tend to be thinking in terms of competitive play rather than the emotional bonds they have formed with their Pokémon over the years.

I, for one, want a fresh start for the reasons listed above. I always found the transfer process too tedious and never migrated my Pokémon from one game to another. (That, and I restart and replay my games like crazy and it is too much of a hassle to trade tons of Pokémon from one game to another.) I definitely understand why people want backwards compatibility, though.

Let's just keep in mind that people hoping for a fresh start aren't purposely trying to piss off/insult people who want to be able to transfer. There really is no need for the level of vitriol I've seen in some of the more recent posts.

well if they do that they better give access to all those random moves only accessible in the past. Like Mewtwo with Selfdestruct or maybe..........Water Gun as a move tutor/tm in fact how about all those random gen 1 tms like payday and horn drill.

I have no idea why some people don't want backwards compatibility, just because they want a new fresh start. Just like some people have said before, transfering is only possible after the main game and you have the choice whether or not you want to transfer. Nobody is forcing you to use it. I would like (perhaps even demand) backwords compatibility just for the fact that I have more than 100 mons that were bred/caught and trained up to lvl 100 and I want to use them again in Wi-Fi battles. I really have no desire in rebreeding, recatching and levelling them up AGAIN. X & Y will most likely make hackmons unable to battle in Wi-Fi battles, so that is another argument against BC going down the drain.

And besides, I think GF has learned a lot from Gen 3 (hopefully?), and because they said they were working on it (they encountered problems, I know), I think BC seems likely.

Oh, and finally new news tomorrow. Hoping for new Mega-Evolutions, new gameplay and perhaps even starter evolutions.
Btw, this is just the second Pokemon Direct right? If so, hopefully it's just as awesome as the first one was.
Its mainly because of the excess of Hackmons on GTS and Wifi. But the other things might be overly complicated illegal moveset/ability combinations if not all the move tutors from FRLGE up to BW/BW2 appear in X and Y. Roost TM, Seismic Toss, Wish Chansey, pokemon XD exclusive moves...etc.

Last edited:
I know a lot of people are hoping for a "fresh start" because it helps reduce the power creep that happens at the start of each generation just a bit. For example, Salamence and Kyurem-B would not have access to Outrage, Stealth Rock would have extremely limited distribution, etc.

Keep in mind, you are on Smogon, so people tend to be thinking in terms of competitive play rather than the emotional bonds they have formed with their Pokémon over the years.

I, for one, want a fresh start for the reasons listed above. I always found the transfer process too tedious and never migrated my Pokémon from one game to another. (That, and I restart and replay my games like crazy and it is too much of a hassle to trade tons of Pokémon from one game to another.) I definitely understand why people want backwards compatibility, though.

Let's just keep in mind that people hoping for a fresh start aren't purposely trying to piss off/insult people who want to be able to transfer. There really is no need for the level of vitriol I've seen in some of the more recent posts.
Yeah I was not trying to annoy anyone, I'm just open to the idea of starting again.
Regarding this announcement I pray it's not a delay but in the grand scheme of things if its to fix bugs etc its worth the wait.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
"Introducing Pokémon X2 and Y2! Please welcome the seventh generation of Pokémon! Here are the starters, and two legendaries!

Please excuse us while we tell you nothing for two months
"

On a more serious note, though, I wonder how they will do it. Will Iwata be the speaker of the video, presenting the news to us as if we were all sitting in the same room? If so, I'd expect more to be revealed about a specific feature (likely to be Pokémon Amie or Mega Evolutions, but could in theory be anything). Perhaps he will talk a little about the inspiration behind some of the new Pokémon/characters/locations? A little "behind the scenes" stuff?

After all, reveals of new Pokémon and gameplay is usually the stuff of pure trailers or magazine "articles". If a person is presenting the news, he won't give us a bunch of random gameplay clips, nor a block of text or details of movesets or base stats. Though, I'd expect a trailer at the end of the Direct, in the style of all the previous ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)