Ubers X&Y Fantasy: The Typing Of Fairy Tales! (UPDATE: FAIRY TYPE'S CHART CONFIRMED!!)

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but it seems like there is no other relevant thread save the theorymon one; however, the information I am talking about is confirmed here: http://www.pokemonxy.com/en-us/pokemon/legendary_pokemon/

List of confirmed infomation:
-Fairy Aura: raises power of fairy type moves for all pokemon(amount unknown)
-Dark Aura: raises power of all dark type moves (amount unknown)
-Xerneas is a pure Fairy type
-Yvetval is a Dark/Flying type
-Both pokemon are pretty heavy, and therefore hit by 120 BP Low Kick and Grass Knot (not factoring in weaknesses and resistances)
-Xerneas gets a unique move called "Geomancy" (likely to be a special fairy attack)
-Yvetval gets a unique move called Oblivion Wing (possible dark/flying move?)
-Yvetval gets some move where it flies up to the sky and releases a red beam (likely to be a charge up move)

The inclusion of these two pokemon and abilities makes it seem like Ubers is going to be even more different than previously anticipated. The Fairy typing seemed to nerf dragons quite a bit, though they are so dominant and so powerful, it didn't seem like the end of the world. However, the ability Fairy Aura makes things particularly troubling for them. Poor Giratina cannot even rely on Dark Aura to cancel it out (it is doubtful that both can be in play) as it takes increased damage from dark types. Spinblocking will be incredibly difficult in this environment, and I expect stall to suffer. It's expected that the new legendaries would have powerful STAB moves, and I'm pretty excited if we get a 120BP dark type move next gen.

If Fairy and Dark Aura cancel out WEATHER, then things start to get REALLY interesting.
The ability descriptions, the apparent lack of animations (based on the pictures) and the in-game text all sound more like Air Lock's mechanics (not in the sense of cancelling out weather, but in that they affect all Pokemon currently on the field so long as the Pokemon with the ability remains on the field). I also wouldn't be so sure they're mutually exclusive (although if they were weathers they surely would be).

That being said, assuming Xerneas/Yveltal aren't walls, both Giratina formes will definitely be threatened and may see less use. Actually, with boosted Dark type STAB, Flying STAB and hopefully a good Fighting coverage move (not Focus Miss please) I could see Yveltal becoming the premier wallbreaker of Ubers, especially if it can get past Chansey. I could also see it being rain offense's new best friend (Dark/Flying STAB wrecks Latias, Latios, Grassceus) and if it gets Hurricane (that sounds terrifying) Kyogre would be its best friend too. Of course, for it to beat Latias and Latios (Thunder would wreck it back) it would need to be the fastest offensive cover Pokemon to date by a significant margin, which seems somewhat unlikely (it could run a Scarf, but where Scarfs go Genesect already OHKOs the Lati twins and hits Grassceus hard, while being the awesome Scarf user it always was). Its typing also suggests the best Ghostceus check to date, which may give rise to an increase in the popularity of other Arceus formes. I could also see it being the bane of spinblocking (hi S-rank Ho-Oh), unless a new Ubers-worthy Ghost that can handle it is introduced in Gen 6 (I'm personally hoping for a Steel/Ghost type with levitate; 4 immunities, 7 resistances, NO effective weakness in rain and laughable entry hazard damage).

With Xerneas it's a lot harder to speculate what its main niche will be, especially as so little is known about the Fairy type. Boosted Fairy type STAB will undoubtedly hit Dragon types like a truck, but then most of the tier's numerous Dragon types can already boast as much. Of course, a powerful Fairy type signature move will have definite advantages; hardly any Dragon type moves OHKO Dialga, and a OHKO on Giratina requires Outrage or Draco Meteor, both of which have major disadvantages. Still, having the single best way of dealing damage to dragons hardly seems enough to carve out a significant niche, so it remains to be seen what resistances Fairy has, what resists it, and how well Xerneas' stats and movepool complement this typing.

This is a bit of a question, speculation on whether kanghastan gets kicked to ubers. It has parental bond, which means it attacks twice in one turn. So does its giga impact have no recharge? First part attack, second part recharge. Or, what I'f yu could get to plus 4 in one turn?

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This question is irrelevant. MegaKanghaskan's place in lower tiers has nothing to do with its place in Ubers as /everything is allowed in Ubers/

^ average internet poster. No reading comprehension or logical thinking.

- Calm Fairy/Water is not supposed to sweep or anything, don't know why you would need to "revenge" it.
- Weak as crap: sigh, it's meant to sorta wall dragons, I don't know what set you had it mind (I'm guessing you are thinking Tail Glow) but with Toxic, Rest, Fairy attack and coverage move it can be a decent dragon wall (better than Jirachi).
- "It can't wall shit in the current metagame, It will wall less in 6th gen" LOL, really? Maybe immunity to the most common attack will make it useful? Most sets are Timid, I explicitly said Calm Manaphy (I'll take that you are not good at taking hints so let me tell you about 252 HP / 252 Sp.Def). With immunity to Dragon it walls Kyurem-W, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Giratina-O, Lati@s (if they don't have Thunder, oh wait you will probably need me to tell you that most don't carry Thunder nowadays) and even Palkia and Dialga provided that there is no rain (because of Thunder). It will be neutral to Steel, resistant to Water, Fire (common coverage moves).

Again, your mind is not ready to get sets like this so wait until Smogon updates some 6th gen sets so you can copy paste them. Have a nice day

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
pls keep it chill

problem with manaphy in sun is the lack of recovery. one misplay and your dragon check is gone. that's also assuming dragon immunity, which iirc was not confirmed, so it's rather shaky. if it does become true a workaround to fix lack of recovery need to be found as it really hinders manaphy. otherwise -- id rather use steel arceus or something.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, the Fairy chart got confirmed!

Fairy is immune to: Dragon
Fairy Resists: Fighting, Dark, and Bug
Fairy is weak to: Poison and Steel
Fairy is resisted by: Steel, Poison, and Fire
Fairy is Super Effective against: Dragon, Dark, and Fighting

Something that sticks out to me here is that Fairy gets a nice U-turn resist, and in general gets more resists than expected! The Steel resist does lower its offensive potential a bit, but note that Steel is now neutral to Dark and Ghost!

Interesting stuff. Mega Mawile only being weak to ground is dangerous. Pursuit will benefit greatly too :)

Fire-types can still hit it as well. :)

I still find it fascinating to think that Jirachi can be Pursuit-trapped, though that's not as relevant for Ubers. What is interesting for Ubers is Arceus-Dark. Mono-attacking Arceus-Dark is now walled by a whole lot less with the neutral hit on Steel-types.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Fairy is going to be amazing. Game Freak pretty much took most of the best offensive types in the game and made a type that counters them all.

Xerneas is (hopefully) going to be incredible.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
If every fairy gets parting shot I'm going to cry. Fairy has 3 nice resistances since it resists the buffed dark, the stronger bug type and fighting. Immunity to dragon is also nice. Fire weakness is huge, steel not so much anymore since steels will hit a decline with that nerf, poison just sucks.

ATM it depends on how offensive fairies are and how many get parting shot. If parting shot has a wide distribution, we're fucked.

Edit: on a side note mewtwo X is one of the ugliest pieces of shit there are and that pretty much validates pokebeach's info as reliable.....

Fairy is not weak to Fire, just ineffective against it. That's actually pretty key, given the amount of dragons that run Flamethrower / Fire Blast.

Hmmm... Not sure how interesting is is, but anyone has any thoughts of using DragMag? I mean, Specs Magnezone has a reason to use TBolt/Flash Cannon/HP Fire/Volt Switch to not only trap Steels, but kinda help with Fairies. It doesn't trap them, but resists Fairy so it can switch in and hit them for SE damage as well.

Haruno

Hmmm... Not sure how interesting is is, but anyone has any thoughts of using DragMag? I mean, Specs Magnezone has a reason to use TBolt/Flash Cannon/HP Fire/Volt Switch to not only trap Steels, but kinda help with Fairies. It doesn't trap them, but resists Fairy so it can switch in and hit them for SE damage as well.
Mag doesn't trap fairies. The only reason why dragmag was popular in ou was because it neuters the only type that resist dragon wherein ubers said steel types wreck magnezone.

Mag doesn't trap fairies. The only reason why dragmag was popular in ou was because it neuters the only type that resist dragon wherein ubers said steel types wreck magnezone.
I'm well aware of the fact that Mag doesn't trap Fairies :p.
I was just saying you could use Mag with dragons to just "deal" with fairies, similar how how you would use a core of, say, Blaziken and Darkrai. Rai doesn't trap ghosts/psychics, it just deals with them, allowing Ken to sweep.

Haruno

How would mag deal with fairies? Fairies would hit it hard on the switch and if there really is an offensive steel type then they'll just hard switch to their check/counter to said mon. Staying in would be dumb.

How would mag deal with fairies? Fairies would hit it hard on the switch and if there really is an offensive steel type then they'll just hard switch to their check/counter to said mon. Staying in would be dumb.
1) IIRC Steel is resistant to and super-effective against Fairy, and Mag has STAB Flash Cannon. Coverage moves exist of course, so some prediction would be required to get Mag in, but that can be said about almost every 'mon in the game.

2) Staying in would be dumb, sure. But that's pretty much what Mag is supposed to do - put pressure on them. You force them out, racking up SR damage the next time they come in. Again, consider by Darkrai/B'Ken analogy. Giratina can switch out of Darkrai at will, but that doesn't make Rai any less effective against it.

I'm not too good at explaining stuff, and its about my bedtime now, so I'm going.

Honestly, I feel there's gonna be a huge type imbalance this gen. Not only did they make Fairy Type resist nearly all the popular offensive types (Dragon, Bug and Fighting), they made it weak to the most obscure offensive types there are, Poison and Steel. (I will disclaim that Steel type attacks are used a fair bit in OU and to a smaller degree in Ubers, but overall it's not very common)

Not to mention, why did they make Fairy Types immune to Dragon attacks? Hell, I don't mind giving Fairy a 2x or even a 4x resist on its own, but not an immunity. The number of Choiced Dragons that would become unviable would really shake up the Ubers metagame. I didn't ever think that this would become true at ANY point in Pokemon's histoy, but Outrage will become a liability.

Personally, I think the best way to balance Fairy type would be to
a) get rid of the immunity to Dragon attacks and replace it with a 2x or 4x resistance
b) give Fairy additional weaknesses to Fire and Ice types

These weaknesses would allow Dragons some options to bypass Fairy types and give Fairy weaknesses to more common offensive types, which would work wonders to balance it.

On another note, they left Ice type the way it is with onlya resist to itself and didn't add a Def bonus to Hail? They should've just added the Dragon resistances/immunity to Ice types in the first place so then Fairy type would be unnecessary.

I don't wanna give a final verdict on an incomplete picture and I'll reserve my damnation for when the game is released, but so far based on these type imbalances Gen VI is looking to be a huge pain. If you have additional opinions on how Fairy types should be balanced, share them please!

It's impossible to say without seeing the power of Fairy moves, the distribution of the more powerful moves, the coverage given to Fairy type pokemon, possible Dual typings, and their BST. If Fairies are more balanced pokemon and not very powerful like Dragon pokemon, we might get a chance to see Fairies functioning more as bulky support pokemon. If they're highly offensive and are very fast, we're going to have an even worse metagame.

furai hates the dragon immune fairys
Not to mention, why did they make Fairy Types immune to Dragon attacks? Hell, I don't mind giving Fairy a 2x or even a 4x resist on its own, but not an immunity. The number of Choiced Dragons that would become unviable would really shake up the Ubers metagame.
LOL. Smogon likes Draco Meteor spamming I guess. God forbid gamers to look for a second coverage move that is not a Fire attack.
On an actual note, I hope a decent Ice and Poison physical attack is implemented (Poison Jab kinda sucks)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)