Lil' Cute & Spikey Thing
(QC: 0/3)
[From: ]
(GP: 0/2)
[From: ]

[Overview]
  • Avearage Mixed Attacking stats.
  • Access to Spikes.
  • Great abilities to chose from such as Chlorophyll, making it the fastest spiker in the NU Tier.
  • A good Sun Supporter.
  • Outclassed offensively by other Chlorophyll users, while as a Spikes user it competes with Roselia, Scolipede, and Garbodor.
  • It's slow speed when not under sun and its frail defenses hold it back from being very effective.
  • Very bland movepool.
[SET]
name: Speedy Spikes
move 1: Sunny Day
move 2: Spikes
move 3: SolarBeam
move 4: Hidden Power [Rock] / Hidden Power [Fire] / Toxic
item: Heat Rock
ability: Chlorophyll
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Sets up Sun for all of its team, while also patching up its own speed issues.
  • Fastest Spiker in the tier
  • SolarBeam will pack a punch.
  • Can easily be knocked out before it gets a chance to set up.
  • Very easily set-up on.
  • You can opt to use either Hidden Power [Rock] or Hidden Power [Fire]. Hidden Power [Rock] can be used to hit Pokemon such as Charizard or Jynx super-effectively;while Hidden Power [Fire] gains Pseudo-STAB under the sun and can pick off slower Grass-Types and other slower Chlorophyll users (Only Tropius and Bellossom might I add).
  • Sunny Day lets Maractus support its team and outspeed its opponent next turn, giving Maractus an opportunity to set up Spikes.
  • Support its team with Spikes.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Timid over Modest for as much speed as possible
  • Heat Rock over any other item for the longer sun
  • Hidden Power [Ice] can be used on this set to destroy Altaria
  • Can use Giga Drain for semi-reliable recovery, but Maractus won't be sticking around long at all.
  • Growth can be used over spikes to become an amazing sun sweeper, but then it loses the main draw of maractus, spikes
  • Good teammates include Sawsbuck and Charizard who can both take advantage of the sun. Some other good teammates include other Chlorophyll users such as Victreebel and Shiftry, and Fire-Types such as Rapidash, who get their STAB's boosted to ver high levels.
  • Regirock is also a great partner as it can set up Stealth Rock, is bulky enough to be another Sun Supporter, and can also counter Sun Team's enemy: Kangaskhan.
[Other Options]
  • As mentioned already a few options include growth, for a gimmicky sun sweeper that is outclassed by Shiftry
  • Knock off can be used to support further but is usually not worth the moveslot
  • Synthesis can be used on the sun set to provide recovery
  • Cotton Guard can be used to boost its defense to astounding levels, but it's still very frail on the special side
  • A physical set consisting of Sucker Punch/Wood Hammer/Substitute/Drain Punch can be used, but it is entirely outclassed by Cacturne and it has a less than average Attack
  • A Focus Sash+Endeavor set can be used, but is very gimmicky
  • A very lesser used move that Maractus could potentially use is Cotton Spore, which helps mitigate Maractus' horrible speed, but the opponent can just switch out, so this move is gimmicky at best.
  • Finally, grasswhistle can be used, but the horrible 55% accuracy makes it not very usable on anything.
  • Water Absorb could be used for the added recovery and an immunity to water, but most of the time Chlorophyll is the far better option.
  • Can use Energy Ball or Grass Knot as an attacking move, but usually these aren't the greatest options.
  • Storm Drain is another option as it boosts Maractus' Special Attack, which can be helpful at times.
[Checks and Counters]
  • Rain Dancers such as Ludicolo and Liepard put a rest to its Chlorophyll.
  • Fire-Types such as Rapidash and Charizard roast it (pun intended)
  • Flying-Types such as Swellow also limit Maractus' potential
  • Natu is a hard counter to Maractus and can easily set up screens on it.
  • Any Taunt user with a 61 base speed or above puts an end to maractus completely
  • Torkoal and Armaldo, the NU spinners , both can destroy Maractus with there STABs and proceed to spin away your spikes, however it can defeat the other spinner, Wartortle.
  • Dedicated Special Walls are also counters to Maractus, such as Mantine and Musharna, as any of Maractus' attacks will be very ineffective, while both of these pokemon can set up and proceed to sweep your team.
  • Its bulk is very frail even with investment, so most attackers severely dent it or OHKO it.

[P.S- This is my very first RMT and I plan to do more. If you would please, could you be a little bit tougher on my work? And also kind of show me the ropes please ^.^ Thank you in advance]

Last edited:

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
  • It has average offensive stats at best, so change decent to that.
  • Lines 3 and 4 can be merged with emphasis that Chlorophyll gives Maractus a niche as the fastest Spiker in the Sun.
  • Line 5 doesn't make sense at all so remove it. You don't even have Substitute listed as a move in the main set, and SubSeed is a poor strategy in general.
  • Line 7 is more accurate as "Outclassed offensively by other Chlorophyll users, while as a Spikes user it competes with Roselia, Scolipede, and Garbodor." Cacturne isn't that amazing a Spikes user either, so it's not really worth mentioning compared to the big 3.
  • Ditch line 8
  • Merge line 9 and the last points, they say the same thing
  • Lines 10 and 11 might as well merge to a point like "its low Speed outside of Sun and poor defenses hold it back from being that effective"
[SET]
  • Might as well use Solarbeam, you don't particularly want Maractus to last longer when its job is merely to set up Sun and Spikes as quickly as possible and then die so that a teammate comes in with the maximum number of Sun turns to use. It has terrible bulk anyways (especially without investment).
  • Um, can you give an explanation of why we would use any of the moves in the last slot? Something like HP Rock hitting Jynx, Scolipede, and Charizard, HP Fire handling Grass-types (including the slower Chlorophyll Pokemon maybe) and Scolipede, and Leech Seed for racking up additional residual damage along with Spikes. Truthfully I have no opinion on which moves are worth putting in that slot, so except for the explaining them I'll defer to the rest of QC for this.
  • Unless you can provide some calcs of what Maractus can survive with HP investment, I'd rather you just put them in Special Attack to boost Solarbeam and/or Hidden Power whatever.
  • As the first point, you should mention that the best way to use Maractus is to switch in on a defensive Pokemon to set up Sunny Day first, so that you have the Speed to set up Spikes. Add in that this costs valuable Sun turns, though you can switch the order around if you are facing more defensive teams
[SET COMMENTS]
  • Yeah, explain the last slot moves like I said
  • A bit disorderly, lines 2 and 4 should be merged; same with lines 5 and 7
  • Line 6 should be removed if the EVs are changed, and should be moved to AC regardless
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • There's no need to mention anything about recovery, since that should be mentioned with the move that provides it in Set Comments
  • Line 4 about being Taunt bait should be removed, its better off mentioning that in C&C
  • Lines 2 and 3 should be removed. SolarBeam and max investment isn't terribly weak, and frailness is more of a C&C thing
  • You can remove Energy Ball and Grass Knot and instead mention Giga Drain here
  • Growth to OO
  • You need teammates. I'll give you a few but try and think of more
  • Sun sweepers are pretty much great teammates just because they make use of the Sun Maractus provides. Chlorophyll sweepers such as Exeggutor, Victreebel, and Sawsbuck are decent, as are Fire-types such as Charizard and Rapidash
  • Additional sun setters are helpful for a dedicated sun team, with Regirock being notable for not only setting up Stealth ROck as well, but having the bulk to handle Kangaskhan which typically troubles Sun teams.
[Other Options]
  • You can place Energy Ball and Grass Knot here as alternative Grass STABs
  • Toxic should be mentioned here, and I'm even thinking about it going in AC or the last slot
  • Storm Drain needs a mention too since Maractus does appreciate a possible boost to its average Special Attack
[Checks and Counters]
  • Maractus is very frail regardless of whether or not it has investment in bulk, so mention that most offensive Pokemon can severely cripple if not OHKO it before it can set up everything it wants to
Make all these changes and I'll look this over again. Despite the amount of stuff here, it wasn't bad for your first analysis (not RMT btw):toast:

Edit: I would hang tight btw. We are discussing whether the set is really that good right now so things may change even more

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I honestly believe this set isn't the best Maractus can run, but since I'm not in QC, here's my 2 cents:

[Overview]

I would get ride of those:
  • Decent Mixed Attacking stats
  • Great abilities to chose from
  • Chlorophyll
  • Decent SubSeeder
  • Not many attacking options
  • Bland movepool
[SET COMMENTS]
remove:
  • Fastest Spiker in the tier
  • Can easily be knocked out before it gets a chance to set up
  • Not very powerful unless you invest more into Special Attack
  • Set-Up bait
  • Patches up its speed issue
add:
  • Sunny Day lets Maractus support its team and outspeed its opponent next turn, giving Maractus an opportunity to set up Spikes.
  • Giga Drain for STAB. (Add it with Solarbeam)
I would also remove Leech Seed from the 4th moveslots since Maractus won't survive long enough to benefit from it to be completly honest.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] remove:
this should go in Other Options:

• [*]Can use Energy Ball or Grass Knot as an attacking move, but usually these aren't the greatest options
    [*]Growth can be used over spikes to become an amazing sun sweeper, but then it loses the main draw of maractus, spikes
Try to add some good partners for Maractus, like Custap Golem and some Chlorophyll sweeper that can benefit from Spikes.

Finally, in Checks and Counters, please remove your comment on Wartortle not being a good spinner: it is actually the best right now. Also remove the Liepard mention, since you already mention it with Ludicolo.

ninja'd by WhiteDMist :(

[Overview]
  • It has average offensive stats at best, so change decent to that.
  • Lines 3 and 4 can be merged with emphasis that Chlorophyll gives Maractus a niche as the fastest Spiker in the Sun.
  • Line 5 doesn't make sense at all so remove it. You don't even have Substitute listed as a move in the main set, and SubSeed is a poor strategy in general.
  • Line 7 is more accurate as "Outclassed offensively by other Chlorophyll users, while as a Spikes user it competes with Roselia, Scolipede, and Garbodor." Cacturne isn't that amazing a Spikes user either, so it's not really worth mentioning compared to the big 3.
  • Ditch line 8
  • Merge line 9 and the last points, they say the same thing
  • Lines 10 and 11 might as well merge to a point like "its low Speed outside of Sun and poor defenses hold it back from being that effective"
[SET]
  • Might as well use Solarbeam, you don't particularly want Maractus to last longer when its job is merely to set up Sun and Spikes as quickly as possible and then die so that a teammate comes in with the maximum number of Sun turns to use. It has terrible bulk anyways (especially without investment).
  • Um, can you give an explanation of why we would use any of the moves in the last slot? Something like HP Rock hitting Jynx, Scolipede, and Charizard, HP Fire handling Grass-types (including the slower Chlorophyll Pokemon maybe) and Scolipede, and Leech Seed for racking up additional residual damage along with Spikes. Truthfully I have no opinion on which moves are worth putting in that slot, so except for the explaining them I'll defer to the rest of QC for this.
  • Unless you can provide some calcs of what Maractus can survive with HP investment, I'd rather you just put them in Special Attack to boost Solarbeam and/or Hidden Power whatever.
  • As the first point, you should mention that the best way to use Maractus is to switch in on a defensive Pokemon to set up Sunny Day first, so that you have the Speed to set up Spikes. Add in that this costs valuable Sun turns, though you can switch the order around if you are facing more defensive teams
[SET COMMENTS]
  • Yeah, explain the last slot moves like I said
  • A bit disorderly, lines 2 and 4 should be merged; same with lines 5 and 7
  • Line 6 should be removed if the EVs are changed, and should be moved to AC regardless
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • There's no need to mention anything about recovery, since that should be mentioned with the move that provides it in Set Comments
  • Line 4 about being Taunt bait should be removed, its better off mentioning that in C&C
  • Lines 2 and 3 should be removed. SolarBeam and max investment isn't terribly weak, and frailness is more of a C&C thing
  • You can remove Energy Ball and Grass Knot and instead mention Giga Drain here
  • Growth to OO
  • You need teammates. I'll give you a few but try and think of more
  • Sun sweepers are pretty much great teammates just because they make use of the Sun Maractus provides. Chlorophyll sweepers such as Exeggutor, Victreebel, and Sawsbuck are decent, as are Fire-types such as Charizard and Rapidash
  • Additional sun setters are helpful for a dedicated sun team, with Regirock being notable for not only setting up Stealth ROck as well, but having the bulk to handle Kangaskhan which typically troubles Sun teams.
[Other Options]
  • You can place Energy Ball and Grass Knot here as alternative Grass STABs
  • Toxic should be mentioned here, and I'm even thinking about it going in AC or the last slot
  • Storm Drain needs a mention too since Maractus does appreciate a possible boost to its average Special Attack
[Checks and Counters]
  • Maractus is very frail regardless of whether or not it has investment in bulk, so mention that most offensive Pokemon can severely cripple if not OHKO it before it can set up everything it wants to
Make all these changes and I'll look this over again. Despite the amount of stuff here, it wasn't bad for your first analysis (not RMT btw):toast:

Edit: I would hang tight btw. We are discussing whether the set is really that good right now so things may change even more
I honestly believe this set isn't the best Maractus can run, but since I'm not in QC, here's my 2 cents:

[Overview]

I would get ride of those:

[SET COMMENTS]
remove:

add:
  • Giga Drain for STAB. (Add it with Solarbeam)
I would also remove Leech Seed from the 4th moveslots since Maractus won't survive long enough to benefit from it to be completly honest.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] remove:
this should go in Other Options:
Try to add some good partners for Maractus, like Custap Golem and some Chlorophyll sweeper that can benefit from Spikes.

Finally, in Checks and Counters, please remove your comment on Wartortle not being a good spinner: it is actually the best right now. Also remove the Liepard mention, since you already mention it with Ludicolo.

ninja'd by WhiteDMist :(

I added all of these changes, but then I noticed Edit: I would hang tight btw. We are discussing whether the set is really that good right now so things may change even more . after, I had already edited. I'm sorry )= I don't have the original, so I am sorry for making this mistake.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Sorry for the double post, but we discussed a little bit about it on IRC and I decided to post the set here ( Shoutout to Branflakes325 for this set btw!):

Hear me out. I know Maractus is outclassed in many ways by the more notable grass types in the tier, and I'm aware that one of its only recognized niches is Chlorophyll + Spikes. However, I have found another use for Maractus that allows it to function as a potentially game-changing lead, being a surprising offensive threat while maintaining its invaluable utility in Spikes.

Maractus @ Focus Sash
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 SAtk / 216 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Grass Knot
- Sucker Punch
- Spikes

Maractus has a niche in being the only Spikes user with access to Bullet Seed (Cacturne can only have Bullet Seed with Sand veil). This also means that Maractus is the only Spikes setter that can OHKO Golem with 3 hits from Bullet Seed. The EVs and nature maximize Maractus's typically mediocre attack stat, which allows it to score an extraordinarily valuable KO on Golem if given the chance. The second move, Grass Knot, is for straight up OHKOing most Golurk, assuming they don't invest a lot into bulk. The speed EVs are for outspeeding 252 speed Golurk, which I thought wouldn't be necessary, but I've been running into a ridiculous amount of max speed Adamant Golurks lately. The EVs are subject to change, because Maractus can use all the SAtk it can get against Golurk to guarantee a KO. Moving on, Sucker Punch is just a completely unexpected attack coming from Maractus, and it has decent power being a fully invested priority attack. Spikes are the real reason I use Maractus, but I believe that the aforementioned attributes distinguish it from the small amount of Spike-stacking competition it has.

Water Absorb allows Maractus to come in on stuff like +2 SS Gorebyss, Seismitoad, Alomomola and Samurott, expecting them to go for their strongest STAB move against something like Eelektross on your team. Water Absorb negates all hazards damage taken on the switch, allowing Maractus to use its Focus Sash and STAB Grass moves/Sucker Punch to ensure that the water-type threat is eliminated even if it is behind a Sub. In the event that Maractus is switched in on something like Alomomola who will surely avoid getting KO'd, you can always just use the opportunity to get up some more Spikes.

This isn't to say that Maractus can be thrown on any team. The team I use does not have rapid spin support, which compels Golem leads to try and set up SR on turn 1. I have a Golurk on my team, which lures in pokemon like Jynx and Haunter on turn 1 as they may expect me to lead with Golurk. Jynx will most likely opt against putting Maractus to sleep because it can outspeed and go for the OHKO Ice Beam. Focus Sash allows me to live the hit and prey on Jynx's garbage defense with Bullet Seed, more than likely bringing it below 25% to KO with Sucker Punch, if not straight up KOing it with Bullet Seed. Similarly, Haunter is a common anti-Golurk lead and will often fall to Sucker Punch if leading against Maractus. The fun doesn't stop here; Seismitoad is another common lead against an expected Golurk, and it will most likely switch out allowing an opportunity for free Spikes.
EDIT: I'm suggesting this set because at the moment, Sun teams doesn't really need Spikes since they want to start hammering the opponent with strong Fire / Grass attacks from some of the strongest Pokemons of the tier, and this Maractus set is the only Spikes user able to deal with some of the common Stealth Rock setter and has Sucker Punch to deal with faster Pokemon like Haunter and Jynx.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post, but we discussed a little bit about it on IRC and I decided to post the set here ( Shoutout to Branflakes325 for this set btw!):
Ok, so, (I'm sorry, i am still very new) Do I add this? Or do I completely rewrite? I honestly think that the set I listed does deserve a mention, but this set is also very good too! So, what do I do? :(

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
All you have to do is to wait until this set is accepted/rejected and if the actual one will be rejected or kept in the analyse.

All you have to do is to wait until this set is accepted/rejected and if the actual one will be rejected or kept in the analyse.

Ok, just to clarify: Do not edit OP, wait for something to happen?

Thank you so much for your help by the way =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)