Moltres @ Heat Rock
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 232 HP / 148 Def / 128 Spd
Bold Nature
- Sunny Day
- Morning Sun
- Substitute
- Flamethrower

That's a defensive weather set, useful if you want to use it like a stall set. Sun is objectively the "core": Morning Sun now heals 2/3 of Moltres's HP instead of 1/2, double STAB Flamethrower is an excellent offensive weapon. Lastly, Substitute is what is needed to repair as much as possible, trying to stall opponents 'mons. About item choice, I chose Heat but I think it could be used Leftovers, giving Moltres consistent recovery.
EVs speed are to outspeed neutral Cryogonal.

Last edited:

Moltres @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- SolarBeam
- Sunny Day
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane

Sunny Day Moltres is p. cool. It 2hkoes all of its counters/checks. With Sunny Day, Fire Blast gets boosted by 50% and SolarBeam doesn't take a turn to charge. So it can just easily spam Fire Blast and SolarBeam and effectively 2hko the tier. In sun Water moves get weaker, thus making it harder for Slowking and Lanturn to KO Moltres with their Water STAB. Hurricane's accuracy does take a knock though.

252 SpA Life Orb Moltres SolarBeam vs. 40 HP / 216 SpD Lanturn: 80.29 - 95.26% (SR plz)
252 SpA Life Orb Moltres SolarBeam vs. 248 HP / 116+ SpD Slowking: 63.61 - 75.31%
252 SpA Life Orb Moltres SolarBeam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Regirock: 65.65 - 77.74%
252 SpA Life Orb Moltres Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable in sun: 72.58 - 86.04%
252 SpA Life Orb Moltres SolarBeam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Slowking: 77.35 - 91.34%
252 SpA Life Orb Moltres SolarBeam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Alomomola: 115.35 - 135.76%
252 SpA Life Orb Moltres Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Aerodactyl in sun: 78.73 - 92.35% (SR plz)
252 SpA Life Orb Moltres SolarBeam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Carracosta: 200.56 - 236.07%
252 SpA Life Orb Moltres SolarBeam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Omastar: 256.97 - 302.32%

Moltres @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 Spd / 204 Def / 248 HP
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Roar

The most annoying set ever. Say hello to the beast itself. 56 speed outpaces Bouffa and all tangrowth and most magneton without choice scarf. Anyways, this beast is such a drag to play against. Moltres being the offensive power house it is is very capable of forcing switches, which make it very very easy to set up a sub. In RU, since hazard setting is so easy with pokemon like Garbodor, Scolipede, Crustle, and Smeargle, Moltres has no problem spamming roar behind a substitute. In addition, Moltres laughs at the spinners in the tier, bar Kabutops which is scared of Hidden Power [Grass]. In any event, this set is so cool because it lets Moltres be an excellent stall poke because it is able to take advantage of its offensive presence without actually being offensive. The Def maximizes bulk, weak Waterfalls from Momo won't break the sub. Toxic Spike support is appreciated but not even necessary.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Moltres @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 Spd / 204 Def / 248 HP
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Roar

The most annoying set ever. Say hello to the beast itself. 56 speed outpaces Bouffa and all tangrowth and most magneton without choice scarf. Anyways, this beast is such a drag to play against. Moltres being the offensive power house it is is very capable of forcing switches, which make it very very easy to set up a sub. In RU, since hazard setting is so easy with pokemon like Garbodor, Scolipede, Crustle, and Smeargle, Moltres has no problem spamming roar behind a substitute. In addition, Moltres laughs at the spinners in the tier, bar Kabutops which is scared of Hidden Power [Grass]. In any event, this set is so cool because it lets Moltres be an excellent stall poke because it is able to take advantage of its offensive presence without actually being offensive. The Def maximizes bulk, weak Waterfalls from Momo won't break the sub. Toxic Spike support is appreciated but not even necessary.
Consider outpacing jolly Smeargle, otherwise cool set. n_n

Moltres @ Life Orb / Damp Rock
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest / Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Water] / Hidden Power [Grass]
- Fire Blast / Roost

This set takes a twist on the standard Moltres by giving it Rain Dance. With Rain Dance, Moltres is not only able to use its STAB Hurricane reliably, but it is able to 2HKO its biggest counter, Regirock, with a Modest Hidden Power Water.

In the NBT, the goal is to make a Pokemon run an alternate moveset to defeat its usual counters. While this set does not beat any of Moltres's common counters (apart from Regirock), it has the merit of defeating common counters to dedicated Rain teams. Many Rain teams have problems defeating Grass-types, such as Roselia and Ferroseed. Moltres has no problem tearing up any Grass-types that Rain teams have trouble with, as its STAB Hurricane and Fire Blast are powerful enough to defeat nearly every grass-type in RU.

Because this set is dedicated for rain teams, it is best to run an alternate weather setter, such as Uxie to preserve the rain. Common Rain abusers, such as Kabutops are also good partners, as once Moltres has removed their counters, they can sweep with ease.

Last edited by a moderator:
I considered outpacing jolly smeargle, but that is way too much speed investment IMO just for Smeargle and Magneon. Smeargle also almost always leads, and Moltres needs hazards down first. I've used it with Garbo before and I think it's really good, but Kabutops is kinda a staple. I don't see it working without it.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Kingler12345 your set is way too similar to the one onsite, since the only difference between it and the onsite SubRoost set is the extra Speed investment (and I guess Hurricane slashed in). Please change this, either by explaining how the EV spread helps Moltres against some usual counters, or tweak the moves.

Also, when reserving sets, please do actually write it up ASAP. The problem of reserved sets eventually never getting written up or holding back the discussion process has happened, so Magcargo 2 please write it up. Ive closed an eye before, and I'm not going to be lenient in future rounds, so: any set that is reserved and not written up within one hour would be available to others again. Magcargo 2 has 24 hours from the time he posted his set to write it up (ie. 14 hours from this post). Consider this a community project, where the objective is to find the hidden gems and the sets should be the focus, not the person who finds them. Reserving and leaving it there would just hold this back, and one hour is definitely sufficient to write up the set if you're clever enough to come up with the set anyway.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Moltres @Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
~ Fire Blast / Flamethrower
~ Hurricane
~ Hidden Power Grass
~ U-turn

This may seem bizarre considering Moltres' 4x weakness to Stealth Rock, but with the incredible quality of spinners in RU, hazards can be kept off the field relatively easy. Once that occurs, Moltres becomes a beast of a revenge killer. Thanks to solid 90 Speed, Moltres outspeeds all common revenge killers barring Choice Scarf Manectric. Access to U-turn allows it to keep momentum very well, and its massive power and excellent coverage with three moves allows it to pull its weight as a great revenge killer. Flamethrower is slashed in case people like me have 0 luck and need a reliable STAB move to clean up late game. Whether Moltres is revenge killing, taking something out by surprise, or cleaning up late game, this Choice Scarf set pulls its weight very well. Partnering it with Kabutops is an excellent core seeing as Tops can spin and support Moltres, but it can also dish out damage to weaken mons to open up a cleaning by Moltres, or pick off weakened mons with Aqua Jet and beat common Moltres answers such as Clefable.

Moltres @Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
~ Fire Blast / Flamethrower
~ Hurricane
~ Hidden Power Grass
~ U-turn

This may seem bizarre considering Moltres' 4x weakness to Stealth Rock, but with the incredible quality of spinners in RU, hazards can be kept off the field relatively easy. Once that occurs, Moltres becomes a beast of a revenge killer. Thanks to solid 90 Speed, Moltres outspeeds all common revenge killers barring Choice Scarf Manectric. Access to U-turn allows it to keep momentum very well, and its massive power and excellent coverage with three moves allows it to pull its weight as a great revenge killer. Flamethrower is slashed in case people like me have 0 luck and need a reliable STAB move to clean up late game. Whether Moltres is revenge killing, taking something out by surprise, or cleaning up late game, this Choice Scarf set pulls its weight very well. Partnering it with Kabutops is an excellent core seeing as Tops can spin and support Moltres, but it can also dish out damage to weaken mons to open up a cleaning by Moltres, or pick off weakened mons with Aqua Jet and beat common Moltres answers such as Clefable.
holy shit this isn't onsite? wtf lol
I've used this multiple times and its amazing, I'll be surprised if this set doesn't win tbh
or giustizias, I like that one too

cbf coming up with my own set, so gl to all

scorpdestroyer I'm sorry, I had no idea the onsite one had toxic :/
Anyway, I'll edit my set later.
I haven't been able to come on smog on since I have to do a lot of other stuff now, but I'll try my best. Sorry again :)

Imma be a little bitch and vote for myself
Magcargo 2
The quasar's set was interesting, but was basically support, and the moves minimized the effectiveness by which its teammates could utilize it.
Mylo xoloto's set was prolly what I'd have voten for, but hurricane in sun is not the best combination.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Magcargo 2

Using a Fire-type in rain isn't outlandish if it has Hurricane. Remember Volcarona up in OU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)