it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
atomicllamas: 1
Laurel: 2
The Quasar: 2
The Leprechaun: 8
TropiOUs: 0
Hot N Cold: 5

And so the winner of this round is The Leprechaun's Metal Burst Smeargle!
And for our next round...

Tangrowth
What can this massive ball of noodles do apart from its usual sets? How can it surprise its regular counters?
And just so you guys know... with less than 2 weeks to X and Y, there will only be enough time for 1-2 more Pokemon (inclusive of this round). As such, this will be one of the last rounds of BW RU The Next Best Thing.

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Was gonna post a sunny-beam set but with the large number of sets being based around weather i opted for this:

Tangfastics (Tangrowth) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 Atk
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Power Whip/ Sleep Powder/ Synthesis

Sub toxic on a poke with regenerator. Tasty imo. Earthquake is the main coverage move used because of poison types and steels that wall this set otherwise. Power whip obviously for STAB but this isn't entirely necessary so sleep powder or even synthesis can be used if viewed as more useful. A total bitch to deal with.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Sunny Day
- SolarBeam
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power Fire
- Sleep Powder / Giga Drain

A rather simple set really; set up Sunny Day and sweep. You can have the coverage of either Focus Blast or Hidden Power Fire. Sleep Powder helps it set up Sunny Day and Giga Drain is a STAB outside of sun. I guess I should mention inspiration came from Exeggutor, who runs a similar set, except I feel that in RU Tangrowth can use it.

Last edited:

Tangrowth @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 144 Spd / 112 HP
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Brick Break/Hidden Power Fire/Poison Jab/Other

Offensive Tangrowth with Choice Band. This thing, with a bit of prediction, can be surprisingly good, OHKOing or 2HKOing pretty much everything. Calcs down here.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Power Whip vs. 248 HP / 144 Def Slowking: 546-644 (138.93 - 163.86%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Entei: 342-404 (92.18 - 108.89%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Clefable: 348-409 (88.32 - 103.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO -> The offensive one is OHKO'd 100% of the times.
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Qwilfish: 176-208 (52.69 - 62.27%) -- 99.61% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Qwilfish: 262-310 (78.44 - 92.81%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Durant: 136-160 (52.71 - 62.01%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Steelix: 132-156 (37.28 - 44.06%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO -> The best thing that resists it, but has nothing to hit Tangrowth back.
252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Klinklang: 266-314 (93 - 109.79%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Power Whip vs. 40 HP / 252 Def Lanturn: 788-928 (196.5 - 231.42%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0- SpA Tangrowth Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tangrowth: 170-202 (42.07 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sceptile: 189-223 (67.25 - 79.35%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 152+ Def Uxie: 174-205 (49.15 - 57.9%) -- 58.98% chance to 2HKO -> That's quite impressive imho.
252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Power Whip vs. 232 HP / 36 Def Sandslash: 480-566 (137.53 - 162.17%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Moltres: 488-576 (152.02 - 179.43%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Accelgor: 456-538 (125.27 - 147.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Power Whip and Earthquake are the main moves, Rock Slide is used against Moltres and Accelgor (as I said before, a bit of prediction is needed). The last moveslot is pretty much useless. The best option is HP Fire to 3HKO Tangrowth and Steelix, the two main thing that resist this set.

EDIT: Edited the nature to Adamant. I forgot to change it on PS, but the calcs are all right.

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Lets not turn this into the NU NBT/sub toxic thread pls oO.

Tangrowth @ Choice Band
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spd
Adamant
Nature
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Sleep Powder

Offensive Tangrowth is actually on site, but it is specially offensive, which doesn't take advantage of what is arguably Tangrowth's best STAB power whip, which hits harder than giga drain, and can be used repeatedly unlike leaf storm. It also has Edge-quake coverage which allows Tangrowth to hit a lot of the tier hard while also being more reliable and powerful than focus blast and HP respectively on the special set. Speed EVs are for min speed lanturn, but with more creep, cause everything aims for that.

Fuck, Haund just posted.

Posting anyways cause adamant nature is obviously better, and sleep powder should be used on every growth.

Edit: he ninja'd me by less than a minute, but mine is a better set ;)

Last edited:
Dang, wanted to post mixed Sunny Day Tangrowth, but that wont happen now :/
Atomicllama's encouraged me to do it anyway.

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Naughty Nature
- SolarBeam
- Sunny Day
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rock Slide

Mixed Sunny Day sweeper Tangrowth.
This set is pretty straight forward: Set up sun, sweep the crap outta teams =)
Obviously the main move of this set is Solarbeam, being able to spam a 120 BP STAB move with no drawbacks coming of a nice 110 base Special Attack is nothing to joke around with. HP Rock is used to deal with steel, bug and ice types and is also powered up by Sun. Lastly, we have Rock Slide for the likes of Cryogonal, Entei and Emboar, the latter are threatening to our lil' bush of spagetti, given the fact their Fire-moves power up in sun as well .-.

I'll post some calcs here, time to get some mons to defeat o3o, but damage calc aint workin for some reason .-.

Also my first post here, yay

Last edited:

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed/Knock Off

Physically defensive Tangrowth with a twist: It utilizes the double spore strategy. While Amoonguss makes for a fine double spore user, Tangrowth has a few things over Amoonguss in this regard: It works better when you're dying for a physical wall, meaning Amoonguss isn't the best option, but still want to profit from double spore shenanigans. Furthermore, it doesn't need much investment in its SpA to hit decently hard (25 base points is a major difference), meaning it can't be used as setup bait. In the 4th moveslot you can utilize another move that separates Tangrowth from Amoonguss. Leech Seed is there for extra recovery and another (semi)status, meaning you can force even more switches (although this does make Tangrowth really vulnerable against grass types) or Knock Off for further annoyance of your opponent. Overall a solid choice for people who hate shrooms but still want a defensive grass type.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 112 SpA / 144 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Power Whip
- Hidden Power Fire
- Rock Slide
- Substitute

Sub Mixed Tangrowth, which outspeeds Lanturn and everything slower. You scare their Water-type and/or physical attacker shitless and set up a Substitute. You haven't revealed your attack, so your opponent has little idea of what to expect. Should you reveal Hidden Power Fire, your opponent won't hesitate in bringing out Moltres, only to get crushed by Rock Slide. Escavalier, upon seeing Power Whip, would love to switch in for free...BAM HP Fire (OHKOes after SR!). This set is fairly reliant on getting Substitute up to do real damage, but at least the bulky phazers in Steelix and Druddigon can't actually do much back outside of Roaring (or Flamethrowering, stupid Drud >:( ).

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Reflect
- Sleep Powder
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain

Wierd Sp.Defensive Tangrowth with Reflect :3 Takes non super effective special moves and puts pokemon to sleep. Knock off is to get rid of items and Reflect to support team and take physical hits better. Giga drain for stab and some healing.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
c/ped straight from http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ru-sets-by-nails.3488104/]here[/url]

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SDef
Impish Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Knock Off
- Power Whip
- Earthquake

Couple things about this set, knock off > leech seed in most situations since they'll switch out of leech seed and growth doesn't need healing. EQ is better than AC and deserves a slash because you hit entei so much harder when he tries to switch into sleep powder. Power whip is stronger than giga drain and as mentioned earlier, with regen and crazy bulk you don't really need healing on top of that. And the SDef EVs help for general tanking of mixed attackers, since I've generally found max defense unnecessary. A lot of times I run less defense than that, 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 SDef Careful has been my standard for a while. Knock off deserves a first slash on the set, and EQ a later slash imo.

I'll include some comments too on growth as a pkmn too, giga drain + focus blast is best if you need to switch into scalds, but since I run Slowking on most teams with Tangrowth and I generally use Slowking as my Slowking counter I can get away with using physical sets. The EVs are extremely metagame based, and team based, and after max HP pretty much any combination of SDef and Def is going to work depending on what teammates you have.

Also Reflect growth seems really cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)