Global Downpour (Peaked #1 on Global Showdown ladder)

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine

Welcome one, and welcome all to my first RMT! I reveal the secrets as to how my team topped the Global Showdown ladder! It's nothing more than a standard Ubers team with a few items switched about, so that's why it's in the Ubers section. If it isn't supposed to be here I'll be very sad ;-;

So let's get cracking!

"Free Willy" the Kyogre
Item: Chesto Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Special Attack / 4 Special Defense
IVs: 0 Attack
Nature: Modest
Moves: Rest, Surf, Thunder, and Ice Beam

Kyogre is, and always will be, the Rain starter of choice in ubers. This set is a bulky special sweeping set that is also designed to rest when its HP gets low. It used to be a Calm Mind set, but after it kept constantly losing due to lack of recovery, I decided to create this beast. Surf is the STAB of choice, because in Ubers and Global Showdown alike, Hydro Pump tends to have 50% accuracy when you want it to hit. Thunder is to counter other Kyogres, in addition to potentially Paralyzing a Palkia if it switches in on this. Ice Beam is to deal with Skymin, who, for some odd reason, fails to OHKO this.

"NO STATUS 4 U" the Manaphy
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed
IVs: 0 Attack
Nature: Timid
Moves: Rest, Surf, Ice Beam, and Tail Glow
This is my MVP usually, because you send it in, get a Tail Glow or two up, and murder absolutely everything. Not even Blissey can take the power of a +6 Surf. Not only that, this is my prime sleep absorber, because there's no Sleep Clause in Global Showdown. In the Rain, I typically use Surf over Ice Beam, because it does more damage even to things that Ice Beam is 2x effective against. However for 4x weak Pokes or if I predict sun, I use Ice Beam. So why Rest and not Grass Knot? As with Kyogre, as I was testing out multiple sets, Recovery was a major issue. Since, in the rain, Rest basically equals full HP, I decided to pick it as my 4th move instead of Grass Knot, HP Fighting, or whatever else you could've slapped on it.

"Ruler of Disortion" the Giratina
Item: Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Defense / 244 Special Defense
Nature: Impish
Moves: Rest, Sleep Talk, Dragon Tail, and Will-o-Wisp
This is your standard Giratina, with the moves to boot. Rest-Talk is for maximum shenanigans (I like shenanigans), Dragon Tail is for phazing, and Will-o-Wisp is for burning the heck out of anything physical that sets up on it. Of course, this does have a weakness to anything behind a substitute, so I have to be careful. I'm thinking of replacing Dragon Tail with Roar to overcome this weakness, but the damage caused by Dragon Tail is a nice factor. So why this particular EV spread? The 12 HP EVs are to maximize the health I get back from Sitrus Berry, for starters. The mixed defenses allow me to live a lot more things than you would normally expect. The nature, Impish, is to wall Physical attackers even better (Freaking Outrage Zekrom ;-;), but the Special Defense EVs are there to give it more special bulk allowing it to wall both sides of the spectrum effectively.

"Genocide" the Genesect
Item: Expert Belt
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 Attack / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed
Nature: Hasty
Moves: U-turn, Thunder, ExtremeSpeed, Ice Beam
Just like the Giratina above it, this Genesect is a standard Scarf Genesect with a twist. It's not Scarfed, it's Expert Belt. You do not want to be locked into Scarf Extremespeed. Plus, this set bluffs Scarf, forcing people to switch into their Genesect check while I can make a safe play and escape with U-turn. Thunder is here because I'm on a rain team, and the extra power can be important when attempting to KO something, while Ice Beam is here for coverage against the many dragon types running rampant in Global Showdown. So why Extremespeed? Sometimes, revenge-killing's important, but you don't have priority to outspeed theirs if you run Scarf. That's where ExtremeSpeed comes in, safely revenge-killing mostly everything after I've worn it down a bit, besides, of course, what resists it. While I could run Occa Berry over expert belt to live things such as Mewtwo's Fire Blast in the rain, I like the extra damage that Expert Belt can provide.

"Chippy" the Shaymin-Sky
Item: Yache Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed
Nature: Timid
Moves: Seed Flare, Air Slash, Earth Power, Hidden Power Ice

Skymin can be one of the most annoying things in the world as it Flinches your entire team away. I decided to run it because of this, because sometimes you must resort to cheap tactics. Air Slash does what Air Slash does, and Seed Flare drops Special Defense (Most of the time), allowing me to either do more damage with Air Slash or send in someone else to destroy the Poke I'm fighting. Earth Power is here for coverage against Fire types that would've otherwise destroyed me, while Hidden Power Ice is here for other Skymins and Flying types. Why Yache Berry, you might ask? Because it freaking sucks when you get near-OHKO'd by an uninvested Lugia's Ice Beam.

"Fossilz" the Kabutops
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Attack / 4 Defense / 252 Speed
Nature: Adamant
Moves: Aqua Jet, Waterfall, Stone Edge, and Low Kick
This set has several purposes on my team. Firstly, it's a great Arceus check, near one-shotting with low kick and getting 2HKO'd by ExtremeSpeed after a +2. Second, revenge-killing with its unparalleled speed (bar Kingdra). Third, coming in and sweeping. That's about it, and all the explanation it needs. Oh right the moves. Aqua Jet is when you just can't outspeed your foe somehow, and feel like you can revenge-kill them. Waterfall is your standard STAB move which is boosted by rain and has a neat chance to Flinch. Stone Edge is your other STAB move, hitting Lugia hard. And for whatever else, there's Low Kick. Life Orb is for that extra, constant supply of power. Too bad it has recoil though.

And that's my team! Unfortunately, this team is countered by things such as Giratina, who walls near-everyone on my team, and Lugia for when I don't pack Kabutops. I'm still looking for ways to make it better though, so tell me how I can make this team better, and I'll test it out and see if it works! Thanks for reading, and have a nice day!

EDIT: I forgot to make an importable thing for PS! My bad :[

Free Willy (Kyogre) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

No Status 4 U (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Tail Glow
- Rest

Ruler of Disortion (Giratina) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Def / 244 SDef
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Tail

Genocide (Genesect) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Download
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Thunder
- ExtremeSpeed
- Ice Beam

Chippy (Shaymin-Sky) @ Yache Berry
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Seed Flare
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Fossilz (Kabutops) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Low Kick

Last edited:

steelskitty

you deserve so much more than this
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
How old is the screenie of the ladder peak?

The team seems incredibly bizarre =C You have no scarfer, and you're quite sun-weak. If Groudon gets its weather, Darkrai should sweep you fairly easily. Also, having a swift-swim Pokemon and Manaphy on the same team means that it's a tough match versus opposing weather archetypes.

Pokemon-wise, I would highly suggest Haban Palkia in place of Manaphy and Giratina-Origin in place of your current Giratina-A. As much as I don't like Haban Palkia, it's a necessity, as you have no really safe switchin to Dragons. Giratina-Origin should run 252 Def/212 Atk/44 Spe with a moveset of Outrage/Magic Coat/Dragon Tail/Shadow Sneak so you at least have something non-weather-dependent versus Ho-oh while also having a non-weather-dependent answer to Extremekiller Arceus. Set-wise, make Kyogre Bulky Choice Specs and Genesect Physical Choice Scarf, running standard sets on both. Bulky Rest Kyogre has more of a place on more balanced teams, not frail HO that has nothing else that's especially bulky. Genesect should be fairly obvious; it's so incredibly risky to rely on your opponent assuming that Genesect is Choice Scarf, and how will you Revenge them if they set up their Mewtwo or Darkrai or whatever???

There's more stuff I have to say, but if I said anything more I'd change the team around too much for your liking.

You don't get swept by Darkrai as it is (I don't know why Steelskitty mentioned it, I guess 388 speed and Air Slash and Swift Swim user aren't enough to check it). I suggest Giratina-O over the other one since it covers some of this team's weakneses better, like Kabutops, Terrakion and Sand Excadrill. I suggest the following set:

Giratina-O @ Griseous Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 212 Atk / 252 Def / 44 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Shadow Sneak
- Substitute / Will-o-Wisp

Enough to take +2 Excadrill's Iron Head and retaliate back with Earthquake. Still 2HKOs Mewtwo with Shadow Sneak, Substitute or Will-o-Wisp is up to you, whatever you need the most. Your team was also super weak to Deoxys-S teams so I think this set is ok.

This team is really hard to rate since adding things like a scarfer and a Stealth Rock user would really change the way of playing it, that's all I got for now lol

Pikachuun

The screenie was taken as of the date of the OP. As for Giratina-O, I'll be happy to test it and see if it does better. Thanks for the feedback!

steelskitty

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
You don't get swept by Darkrai as it is (I don't know why Steelskitty mentioned it, I guess 388 speed and Air Slash and Swift Swim user aren't enough to check it). I suggest Giratina-O over the other one since it covers some of this team's weakneses better, like Kabutops, Terrakion and Sand Excadrill. I suggest the following set:

Giratina-O @ Griseous Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 212 Atk / 252 Def / 44 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Shadow Sneak
- Substitute / Will-o-Wisp

Enough to take +2 Excadrill's Iron Head and retaliate back with Earthquake. Still 2HKOs Mewtwo with Shadow Sneak, Substitute or Will-o-Wisp is up to you, whatever you need the most. Your team was also super weak to Deoxys-S teams so I think this set is ok.

This team is really hard to rate since adding things like a scarfer and a Stealth Rock user would really change the way of playing it, that's all I got for now lol
I said that if Groudon gets its weather, meaning that Kyogre will be dead and the swift swimmer/manaphy will be useless. Shaymin-S loses to Darkrai 40% of the time and can't even beat Darkrai if it's behind a substitute. Oh, and props for suggesting almost exactly the same set that I mentioned in my previous post.

I said that if Groudon gets its weather, meaning that Kyogre will be dead and the swift swimmer/manaphy will be useless. Shaymin-S loses to Darkrai 40% of the time and can't even beat Darkrai if it's behind a substitute. Oh, and props for suggesting almost exactly the same set that I mentioned in my previous post.
Sorry, I detected autism as soon as you said that he gets swept by Darkrai and stopped reading. With that type of reasoning every team without Ho-Oh gets swept by Darkrai lol.

:]

steelskitty

Sorry, I detected autism as soon as you said that he gets swept by Darkrai and stopped reading. With that type of reasoning every team without Ho-Oh gets swept by Darkrai lol.

:]
All the opp has to do is eliminate Kyogre and still have Groudon alive. Not exactly rocket science.

Pikachuun

All the opp has to do is eliminate Kyogre and still have Groudon alive. Not exactly rocket science.
But easier said than done when you have a Giratina which walls it, and if it gets to a certain HP, Kyogre will just KO with Ice Beam anyways. Groudon can also counter certain aspects of this team, which is understandable. Now can we please stop discussing about how my team is or isn't weak to Darkrai/Groudon? Yes, it has several flaws, like all teams have. It also counters certain things, like all teams do as well. Let's just please change the topic so that this doesn't become just a battlefield between this team and the two Pokemon mentioned above.

Sitrus Berry is a pretty bad item for Giratina to have, considering two rounds of lefites heals more than that and the fact that you are a sleep talk set, lefties is definitely the best choice. Same thing with the Yache Berry on Shaymin-Sky, Ice beam Lugia is the least of your problems, skymin would probably appreciate Life Orb or even a scarf since you are an all out attacker. I think you should get rid of one of your weather dependent sweepers and get a ferrothorn which really goes well with the Giratina since it can abuse the hazards that Ferro sets up.

Pikachuun

Sitrus Berry is a pretty bad item for Giratina to have, considering two rounds of lefites heals more than that and the fact that you are a sleep talk set, lefties is definitely the best choice. Same thing with the Yache Berry on Shaymin-Sky, Ice beam Lugia is the least of your problems, skymin would probably appreciate Life Orb or even a scarf since you are an all out attacker. I think you should get rid of one of your weather dependent sweepers and get a ferrothorn which really goes well with the Giratina since it can abuse the hazards that Ferro sets up.
I'll consider these suggestions. Thanks for the feedback! And yeah, now that I think about it, being concerned about Ice Beam Lugia is a bit crazy. I'll see about whether Ferrothorn is a better choice than Manaphy, I have a lot of specially offensive presence as-is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)