Best storyline?

Hi I am back from writing finals and during this period I thought of a very interesting question. What story in your opinion has the most engrossing and detailed plot line that you have played. For me it was pokemon platinum, most people will say it is not much different than diamond or pearl but they added so much extra gameplay and stories to it in my opinion.

Please answer with a game name, reason and if you want any extra info it'll probally help me determine my next playthrough.

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Although I see that this is meant for only story line, we already have a thread that compares generations and games based on plot as well as other aspects.

Check it out here.

I have seen that thread and even voted on it but this thread is more of just storyline and how either long or interesting it was not just to pick a favorite game overall

Gen 1: The classic theft and power, but wan't heavily integrated into the story. And Giovanni as the crime boss was really great.

Gen 2: I started with 1, but I played 2 the most. I really liked the storyline in this one. Team Rocket returns to make another grab at power. Their take over of the Radio Tower was well planned out, and come on, how about that bait and switch?

Gen 3: It was more integrated, but honestly, the land vs. water debate didn't ring quite as true to me. Plus, the others had a really cool boss, I didn't like the Magma/Aqua bosses as well.

Gen 4: Probably the most deeply integrated into the game, imo, and in the best way. I liked the alternate energy propaganda as a way to gain power and control, and I thought it was well executed. Cyrus was developed extremely well, and he really fit the bill of leader, with lots of easter eggs about the storyline along the way. Space and time was good, could have been better I suppose.

Gen 5: Almost as deeply integrated as 4, but seemed disjointed at times. Have to say, loved the angle of grabbing power through the guise of "welfare" and "equality", especially using N, the golden tongued chosen one. A bit more applicable to current events than most realize I think.

So, the original question. It definitely comes down to 2, 4, and 5. I think if 5's story was integrated as well as 4, I would pick that. But I really liked 4's well placed points. Same with 2, I liked the storyline better, but there were moments in 4 that were just fantastic. Going to the library to talk, and then a bomb goes off, and rushing to Lake Valor. Infiltrating Galactic HQ from underground. I know 4 catches a lot of flak, and personally I don't know why. I loved it, and its what got me back into pokemon after not even buying a gen 3 game.

So, after that book, I'm going to give the nod to 4.

The spinoff series Pokémon Mystery Dungeon. If you haven't played one, I suggest Explorers of Sky. The concept seems silly (you are turned into a Pokémon but you don't have any recollection of why), but it is probably the best series plot-wise. It deals with a lot of adult concepts (although they avoid words like 'death' to keep the E rating).
Although the actually style of the games aren't for everyone, as it is a more traditional-style dungeon RPG, both Red/Blue Rescue Team and Time/Darkness/Sky offer original characters and a story that will blow your socks off and make you reach for Kleenex at the end.

I personally wasn't a fan of the newest one, Gates to Infinite, because it made the game more childish and took a lot away from the story IMO.

If we're talking main series, than definitely Black and White for me. Although not being able to catch any prior gen pokes sucked, N's character really intrigued me. Ghetsis had used N's unfortunate childhood to turn N into a figurehead for Team Plasma. Plus, N had a really cool sprite.

The spinoff series Pokémon Mystery Dungeon. If you haven't played one, I suggest Explorers of Sky. The concept seems silly (you are turned into a Pokémon but you don't have any recollection of why), but it is probably the best series plot-wise. It deals with a lot of adult concepts (although they avoid words like 'death' to keep the E rating).
Although the actually style of the games aren't for everyone, as it is a more traditional-style dungeon RPG, both Red/Blue Rescue Team and Time/Darkness/Sky offer original characters and a story that will blow your socks off and make you reach for Kleenex at the end.

I personally wasn't a fan of the newest one, Gates to Infinite, because it made the game more childish and took a lot away from the story IMO.

If we're talking main series, than definitely Black and White for me. Although not being able to catch any prior gen pokes sucked, N's character really intrigued me. Ghetsis had used N's unfortunate childhood to turn N into a figurehead for Team Plasma. Plus, N had a really cool sprite.
Same for me, except I only played PMD blue. I'll play Explorers of Sky in the future, it seems even more amazing from what people say :p.

Black and White for the main series game for me too. Not only the story around N is original and surprising but I also like the evolution about the rivals and how they look for what they want to do.

I'd have to give the nod to Platinum. The whole story with Cyrus I felt was really well developed, and then showing what happens when his actions unbalance space and time and the Distortion World opens up. It was really neat. Although, followed closely I think was HG/SS. Soul Silver was my favourite game to ever play though, I've got 999:59 on the clock and still playing it (admittedly a lot of that is trying to break old records in the Frontier, but still) and I loved the story of the return of a fallen criminal empire, only to be stopped again by a new hero three years later who "reminds everyone of the old champion from three years ago" whom you find training in solitude and fight for the final battle.

If I were to consider every Pokemon game that has been made, then I feel that the spin offs Pokemon Coliseum and Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness had the best story line because I feel that the main games always seem to repeat the same story: "A kid/teenager gets a Pokemon and goes on adventure" or maybe its just that they don't change enough for me to recognize one of them as having an awesome story-line that is above the rest. However, I feel the Pokemon Coliseum and Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness are different from the main games games in a lot of ways and also have very interesting story-lines at the same time. So, I feel that they have the best story-lines, when considering every Pokemon game that has been made.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon explorers of sky for a spin-off pokemon game. The story was well thought out and elaborate. When I originally played explorers of time, I thought it was going to lack in story elements when compared to the original; however, I found myself in shock at the depth of the story. The additions of the special events in explorers of sky were an awesome addition to explorers of time and darkness. I almost cried at the end of the special event Igglybuff the prodigy.

Pokemon Platinum has the best story for a main stream pokemon game. Team Galactic has set their plans in motion and as the protagonist, you are in the middle of them. I also love how Sinnoh creates the origin story for the Pokemon Universe.

Man I remember playing PMD: Explorers of Time for the first time and was blown away by the story. I think it was mostly because I wasn't expecting it to be that good and it sort of caught me off guard.

If we are talking about main series games, for me it's either between Platinum or Black and White, and I think I'll go with BW.

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yoite said:
If I were to consider every Pokemon game that has been made, then I feel that the spin offs Pokemon Coliseum and Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness had the best story line because I feel that the main games always seem to repeat the same story: "A kid/teenager gets a Pokemon and goes on adventure" or maybe its just that they don't change enough for me to recognize one of them as having an awesome story-line that is above the rest. However, I feel the Pokemon Coliseum and Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness are different from the main games games in a lot of ways and also have very interesting story-lines at the same time. So, I feel that they have the best story-lines, when considering every Pokemon game that has been made.
Agreed. I found Gale of Darkness one of the most intriguing Pokemon games. The whole Shadow Pokemon concept just added so much to do in the story, and the plot itself is well developed; it was enjoyable to play.

Gen I, II, and III were just too plain to me: Get a Pokedex, battle some random group of people wanting to do something bad, become champ, fill the Pokedex. There isn't a plot there; it's more of a list, as there are not many other stories to go on, and it's straightforward.

However, Gen IV and VI have a plot. (Platinum, BW, and BW2 specifically.) There are bad guys, but the in-depth lifestyle of those bad guys (Talking about N, Ghetsis, and Cyrus) really add flavor to the story. It gives you more to think about than some simple task to become a wannabe Ash. Also, there are much more things to do and to see, and the rivals in your quest are great to interact with; I loved the Gen IV rival, he is so hasty, it's funny!

To answer your question, Gale of Darkness by a longshot, but I added input on the other games as well. o3o

Of the ones I've played (Emerald, Soulsilver, and all Gen 5 games, plus a few spin-offs), I would have to say that PMD Gates to Infinity is the best as far as the plot goes, better than anything else, and far better than PBR.

Once I played White (my first game), I could pretty much predict how the game would end after only a little bit. The main series games are very similar in plot.

Enjoyed RBY and GSC probably the most. They were simple and I enjoyed the whole Mafia-esq angle with Team Rocket. RSE I felt were poor, Maxie and Archie sucked and did not interest me at all. DPP was great and a close second. Cyrus was evil to the core and I loved it. Only Galactic felt like they were truly going to rule the world unlike Magma and Aqua. And Gen 5 sucked. Hated it. N and Plasma blew.

Spin off wise I loved all the MD games. Really good story there. The first 2 Ranger games were also well done. And XD was good also.

Gen 4 definitely. It was very intriguing and you were in the middle of this plot all the way through. It was well integrated and you found at parts one at a time and It was clear and obvious unlike N! I still don't understand who N is? What was he for?

I really like the story of the second generation. I a lot of the merit I see in those games have to do with them being designed as a real sequel to the first generation, so while my real answer is "the first and the second," if I only had to pick one I'd say that I really value the way GSC expanded on the ideas and world of the first games into one complete package than the standalone of the first games (which I also like a lot in its own right).

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Platinum IMO, i guess i just really loved the theme they took for the villain, a world without spirit, and actually an intelligent one, some would say a cliche villain but Cyrus was a really cool character for me, he was cruel to the Pixie trio and tried to controll the universal forces: space and time, and actually got it, if you think about it, it really does seem unlikely youll beat him anytime soon.

Distortion World was really cool also, and the way they ended Cyrus's character leaving him there, by his own will, just goes to show how much he hates the actual world. Finally, Cynthia is without a doubt the single best champion in the series, funny since she was the only female one at the time, the calm and wise demeanor, for someone so young, really did fit her.

Gen 1: The classic theft and power, but wan't heavily integrated into the story. And Giovanni as the crime boss was really great.

Gen 2: I started with 1, but I played 2 the most. I really liked the storyline in this one. Team Rocket returns to make another grab at power. Their take over of the Radio Tower was well planned out, and come on, how about that bait and switch?

Gen 3: It was more integrated, but honestly, the land vs. water debate didn't ring quite as true to me. Plus, the others had a really cool boss, I didn't like the Magma/Aqua bosses as well.

Gen 4: Probably the most deeply integrated into the game, imo, and in the best way. I liked the alternate energy propaganda as a way to gain power and control, and I thought it was well executed. Cyrus was developed extremely well, and he really fit the bill of leader, with lots of easter eggs about the storyline along the way. Space and time was good, could have been better I suppose.

Gen 5: Almost as deeply integrated as 4, but seemed disjointed at times. Have to say, loved the angle of grabbing power through the guise of "welfare" and "equality", especially using N, the golden tongued chosen one. A bit more applicable to current events than most realize I think.

So, the original question. It definitely comes down to 2, 4, and 5. I think if 5's story was integrated as well as 4, I would pick that. But I really liked 4's well placed points. Same with 2, I liked the storyline better, but there were moments in 4 that were just fantastic. Going to the library to talk, and then a bomb goes off, and rushing to Lake Valor. Infiltrating Galactic HQ from underground. I know 4 catches a lot of flak, and personally I don't know why. I loved it, and its what got me back into pokemon after not even buying a gen 3 game.

So, after that book, I'm going to give the nod to 4.
I truthfully think that this whole response defines what I think about the Pokemon stories. The only difference is that I think that Giovanni > Cyrus because of mob boss status :)

I truthfully think that this whole response defines what I think about the Pokemon stories. The only difference is that I think that Giovanni > Cyrus because of mob boss status :)
Oh without a doubt. Giovanni was the coolest, what I meant was all of the run ins you had with Cyrus and the character development was better than those with Giovanni, which honestly was probably better, it matched better with Giovanni being a mob boss that you wouldn't know too much about him. I think the coolest thing about Team Rocket and Giovanni was, like every mafia crime boss, he had a business that served as a front and bankroll for his crime, his gym. Giovanni was the Al Capone of pokemon, and there isn't a character cooler than that.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
For the main games, definitely Black and White, partially since it was the only game that the existence of creatures you could keep in your pocket and make fight was actually vital to the narrative.

For side games, what else but the Mystery Dungeon series?
Explorers of Darkness/Time/Sky FTW!

Last edited:
Oh without a doubt. Giovanni was the coolest, what I meant was all of the run ins you had with Cyrus and the character development was better than those with Giovanni, which honestly was probably better, it matched better with Giovanni being a mob boss that you wouldn't know too much about him. I think the coolest thing about Team Rocket and Giovanni was, like every mafia crime boss, he had a business that served as a front and bankroll for his crime, his gym. Giovanni was the Al Capone of pokemon, and there isn't a character cooler than that.
I most definitely agree! I remember being shocked that Giovanni was a Gym Leader in my old Red game :). Good memories :3

I absolutely loved Black and White in terms of their story line. The only thing I did not like was that the argument for keeping Pokemon in their pokeballs was not developed well. The only thing I got out of it was that we should keep them because they are our friends and that we need each other. On the other hand, the character development was great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)