Echoed Voice
Giga Impact
Flash
Sleep Talk
Dazzling Gleam
Confide
Cut

General Analysis of Pokemon
The next eon has awakened, and the fall of the Dragons begins. Just the mere existence of the Fairy-type has left a huge mark on the game. Sylveon was the first fairy to be released, and it lives up to its hype. With 110 Special Attack and tons of bulk on the special side Sylveon makes a great special tank. All magic comes at a cost, however, and Sylveon sees that in the form of its low Defense and a moveset that leaves much to be desired. Still, Sylveon will make its statement in the metagame, one Dragon at a time.

Potential Movesets
Wish Passer
move 1: Wish
move 2: Protect
move 3: Moon Blast
move 4: Shadow Ball / Baton Pass / Toxic / Heal Bell

ability: Cute Charm
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

Set Description:
A typical Wish Passing set. Moon Blast is a 95 Base Power Special move with a 30% chance to lower the targets Special Attack. Shadow Ball provides coverage, giving almost perfect neutral coverage. Baton Pass could be used in order to allow Sylveon to function as a defensive pivot. Toxic can be used for stalling purposes and works well with Protect. Heal Bell gives it another option to support your team by removing status. The EV's are invested into Defense so as to maximize Sylveon's bulk.

SubCM
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Calm Mind
move 3: Moon Blast
move 4: Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Ground

item: Leftovers
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

Set Description:
This set seeks to utilize Sylveon's attacking capabilities as well as it's great bulk. Moon Blast and Shadow Ball work together to give Sylveon great neutral coverage. Hidden Power Ground could also work in this spot to give alternative coverage and gain a super effective hit against Fire-types such as Heatran. Note, however, that Heatran no longer resists Shadow Ball due to Steel losing its resistances to Dark and Ghost.

Offensive Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Moon Blast
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Hidden Power Ground

item: Life Orb
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe

Set Description:
While the other sets are used to focus in on the great special bulk of Sylveon this set can provide instant power that neither of the other sets have. If you can set up a Calm Mind on the switch Sylveon has immediate power with very good coverage.

Personal Opinion of the pokemon and conclusion
Sylveon has the bulk and supporting moveset needed to succeed. It's typing is really useful, particularly for stopping Dragon-types. With good neutral coverage it will have a major impact on the metagame.

Last edited:

Scotti

we back.
"The next eon has awakened..... "

Anyway, overall i like the SpDef set, but to might want to mentioned Heal Bell on there for the 4th move, as it can get rid of status for the rest of the team and for itself making itself a very good Special Wall. With the addition of Heal Bell, Sylveon becomes the next Umbreon accept less bulky on the physical side. Thats the only thing i can really suggest.

I've been trying a makeshift set of
Sylveon Lefties 252 HP, 4 Def, 252 Spe, Timid, Wish, Sub, Moonblast, HP Ground. It gets good bulk, but all it can set up is a sub or pass wishes. HP ground is good coverage for it, so it can get away with a tank set with 2 attacks. Still working on the right support moves, and my EVs are probably not very good, but I do love its bulk, power, and utility.

This is really interesting. I have a similar concept for Sylveon my EVs look like this:
248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature

I was also thinking it would it be possible to run a physical set too:
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature

Sylveon does not get Synchronize. It gets Cute Charm and Pixilate. Whoever updated the Sylveon thread messed up.
What are your thought's on the viability of pixilate? I think Moonblast provides enough power for Sylveon.

What are your thought's on the viability of pixilate? I think Moonblast provides enough power for Sylveon.
I don't think it will be particularly useful for Sylveon, perhaps on a physical attacker.

Sylveon does not get Synchronize. It gets Cute Charm and Pixilate. Whoever updated the Sylveon thread messed up.
Thank you, fixed.

I've been trying a makeshift set of
Sylveon Lefties 252 HP, 4 Def, 252 Spe, Timid, Wish, Sub, Moonblast, HP Ground. It gets good bulk, but all it can set up is a sub or pass wishes. HP ground is good coverage for it, so it can get away with a tank set with 2 attacks. Still working on the right support moves, and my EVs are probably not very good, but I do love its bulk, power, and utility.
HP Ground can give good coverage, but I believe (I could be wrong) that due to the ghost/steel nerf that this is actually better type coverage.

"The next eon has awakened..... "

Anyway, overall i like the SpDef set, but to might want to mentioned Heal Bell on there for the 4th move, as it can get rid of status for the rest of the team and for itself making itself a very good Special Wall. With the addition of Heal Bell, Sylveon becomes the next Umbreon accept less bulky on the physical side. Thats the only thing i can really suggest.
Added.

Looks like Sylveon and Umbreon are pretty similar... both (specially) defensive support monsters with nasty 4MSS.

Where they differ is that Sylveon can hit everything with 110 base SpAttack and Fairy-type STAB (although how strong that's going to be in this game is yet to be seen), whereas Umbreon has a very unreliable but potentially powerful Dark-type STAB that helps it against physical attackers. Also, Umbreon is much bulkier physically on the defensive side, which has helped tremendously in its walling and support capabilities since Generation II. It's going to be interesting to see how this new metagame favors one or the other, but Sylveon's immunity to rampant Dragon-types in the tier may give it a niche over Umbreon.

Looks like Sylveon and Umbreon are pretty similar... both (specially) defensive support monsters with nasty 4MSS.

Where they differ is that Sylveon can hit everything with 110 base SpAttack and Fairy-type STAB (although how strong that's going to be in this game is yet to be seen), whereas Umbreon has a very unreliable but potentially powerful Dark-type STAB that helps it against physical attackers. Also, Umbreon is much bulkier physically on the defensive side, which has helped tremendously in its walling and support capabilities since Generation II. It's going to be interesting to see how this new metagame favors one or the other, but Sylveon's immunity to rampant Dragon-types in the tier may give it a niche over Umbreon.

My thoughts exactly. I'm waiting for confirmation on Calm Mind being part of his arsenal, and I could potentially see this as a good SubCM user. Lack of instant recovery (that we know of) is somewhat saddening, however, or it could almost act as a reuniclus with a better STAB.

I feel as if there is no reason to use Sylveon over Florges, who has more SAtk, SDef and Spd (also Atk but that's irrelevant). All that Sylveon has over Florges is a bit of HP, and that isn't much to use it over Florges.
That could come down to movepool. Until movepools are totally figured out there's no saying what's going to be more useful. Cute Charm is more useful than Flower Veil, though that's too gimmicky to rely on.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I think Clefable gives both Sylveon and Florges stiff competition as defensive support because Magic Guard is just awesome.

But yeah, overall, Sylveon and Florges are quite similar. I'm surprised Gamefreak didn't give Florges something to distinguish the two of them (like, I dunno, a partial Grass-typing?), but I guess they have their reasons.

I think Clefable gives both Sylveon and Florges stiff competition as defensive support because Magic Guard is just awesome.

But yeah, overall, Sylveon and Florges are quite similar. I'm surprised Gamefreak didn't give Florges something to distinguish the two of them (like, I dunno, a partial Grass-typing?), but I guess they have their reasons.
From my perspective, it looks like they were more worried about balancing the VGC meta. Sylveon's lower speed will definitely be useful there.

Could you post the movepool, abilities, stats, etc, on the thread please?
It would be really nice to have them right here

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
From my perspective, it looks like they were more worried about balancing the VGC meta. Sylveon's lower speed will definitely be useful there.
If that's the case, I have hope that Jirachi, Celebi, and Manaphy will be part Fairy-Type, since iirc they can't be used in VGC duels.

If one day Sylveon gets reflect, I'd like to use her as a dual screener. That SpD is nothing to scoff at. Also, Moonblast lowers Special Attack, not Special Defense.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sylveon.3489700/

Sylveon does in fact learn Calm Mind, so I could see a defensive Calm Mind set working for it. Using Moonblast as its only attacking move could work because Fire-types like Heatran aren't going to be able to kill it with a couple CM boosts, Poison-types might still not be common, and Steel-types can be trapped by Magnezone. There's also Psyshock on there, so a CM+3 attacks or CM+2 attacks+Baton Pass set could work as well.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sylveon.3489700/

Sylveon does in fact learn Calm Mind, so I could see a defensive Calm Mind set working for it. Using Moonblast as its only attacking move could work because Fire-types like Heatran aren't going to be able to kill it with a couple CM boosts, Poison-types might still not be common, and Steel-types can be trapped by Magnezone. There's also Psyshock on there, so a CM+3 attacks or CM+2 attacks+Baton Pass set could work as well.
Awesome, glad it did in fact get Calm Mind.

From what I've been playing with Sylveon feels more like Vaporeon then anything else. The massive SpDef stat is more then fine with out investments so I'd just pump EV's into defense, and HP with a Bold nature so it can tank various hits from all sources. And to be quite honest, it's worked like a charm from my playing! Also, the wish passer move set seems to be the perfect fit for it in several cases while. I can see the CM sets making a nice stand as well. IMO, Sylveon is one of the best fairies from my experience so far.

From what I've been playing with Sylveon feels more like Vaporeon then anything else. The massive SpDef stat is more then fine with out investments so I'd just pump EV's into defense, and HP with a Bold nature so it can tank various hits from all sources. And to be quite honest, it's worked like a charm from my playing! Also, the wish passer move set seems to be the perfect fit for it in several cases while. I can see the CM sets making a nice stand as well. IMO, Sylveon is one of the best fairies from my experience so far.
I did mention that the EV's can be shifted into Defense.

Just ran some numbers on how it fairs against mega gengar

With 120/0 hp/SpD it is guaranteed to survive timid Mega Gengar sludge wave and has a 71% chance to survive after stealth rocks + 1 turn of leftovers (although without dedicating it as a special wall it can't swap in on him)
I'm looking forward to seeing the fairy fox fight and see it being used in a similar manner to vaporeon.

(woops didn't calculate gengar's hp properly when sylv was attacker I'll redo calcs and edit them in later)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)