Pokémon Noivern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Pokedex Number: #715

Type(s): Flying/Dragon

Base Stats: 85 / 70 / 80 / 97 / 80 / 123

Abilities: Frisk, Infiltrator, and Telepathy

Known Notable Moves:

Roost
Super Fang
Dragon Pulse
Draco Meteor
Taunt
Flamethrower (Used by opponent ingame)
U-turn
Hurricane
Focus Blast
Boomburst (Will Update if/when more notable moves are found)

The first thing you notice about Noivern when looking at its stats is that really high base Speed stat. Sitting at around base 123 Speed, Noivern will most definitely be able to outspeed the majority of the unboosted metagame, whatever tier it ends up in, which is of course a good advantage for any Pokemon to have. Outside of the Speed stat, all of Noivern's other stats have the potential to be solid, but not absolutely outstanding, with a decent/good Special Attack stat standing out as it can be utilized quite well in combination with its great Speed stat, U-turn, and two high BP Special STABs in Draco Meteor and Hurricane. I'm not sure Noivern has the raw power needed to make it all the way up to OU on paper as base 97 Special Attack is solidbut not incredible, especially with competition from things like the eon duo when it comes to being a special attacking Dragon-type who are both significantly stronger, lack a weakness to Stealth Rock, and while slower are still pretty fast, but to me it will definitely end up as a solid UU threat at least (although we'll have to see for ourselves as the metagame unfurls!). What do you think? Potential sets that i think Noivern could use effectively are listed below in hide tags, which one do you think will be the most effective in x/y? which ones might not be effective at all? how could some of the sets be improved? and lastly, are there any other good noivern sets that you can think of? Personally, i really like the look of Choice Specs Noivern, and i think it'll be a solid choice in whatever metagame it ends up in.

Noivern @ Choice Specs
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower / Focus Blast / Boomburst
- U-turn

Noivern @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower / Focus Blast / Boomburst
- Roost

Noivern @ Leftovers / Life Orb maybe?
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Dragon Pulse
-Flamethrower / Focus Blast / Boomburst
- Roost

Last edited:
Is Boomburst viable? I feel like a 140bp 100% accuracy move with no drawbacks (apparently) probably deserve a place on a moveset somewhere.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just a note that Frisk might actually be useful to identify what sort of set the opposing Pokemon is using.

And yeah, I totally feel this can be viable just because of the high Speed alone. Throwing around decently-powered Draco Meteors with that sort of speed is bound to leave a few notable scars, and the fact that it outruns Tornadus-T and Alakazam is also pretty awesome. Since I'm used to using Kingdra, that special attack is also definitely useable. I'm pretty partial to the Life Orb set, if I do say so myself.

Just a note that Frisk might actually be useful to identify what sort of set the opposing Pokemon is using.

And yeah, I totally feel this can be viable just because of the high Speed alone. Throwing around decently-powered Draco Meteors with that sort of speed is bound to leave a few notable scars, and the fact that it outruns Tornadus-T and Alakazam is also pretty awesome. Since I'm used to using Kingdra, that special attack is also definitely useable. I'm pretty partial to the Life Orb set, if I do say so myself.
The best part is that Mega's use the speed stat of the Pokemon they Mega-evolved from in the first turn, so even if they Mega-Evolve he can still nail them with a LO Draco meteor. This is fantastic because it means pokemon like Mega-Gengar can easily be OHKO'd or severely weakened if they face each other.

This guy is going to be an amazing cleaner and revenge killer.

*edit, this is my first time doing this but for instance I calculated a LO Draco Meteor Vs normal and Mega Gengar and it's a guaranteed OHKO every single time on both forms.

Normal Gengar
252+ SpA Life Orb (129.88 - 152.87%) -- guaranteed OHKO

On Mega Gengar
252+ SpA Life Orb (106.51 - 126.05%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Considering how powerful Mega-Gengar is going to be with Shadow Tag doing that much damage right of the bat is nice. Their are barely any pokemon that out-speed Gengar anyways.

Plus I believe Serebii said that substitutes no longer block infiltrate. Though if someone can test this for sure, I'd appreciate that. As I don't want another Greninja/Rapid Spin fiasco =[

This guy is going to be great =D

Last edited:

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Having used Kingdra extensively when Swift Swim was allowed, I can tell you that a quick Specs Draco Meteor can be pretty cool. Noivern obviously doesn't have rain-boosted Hydro Pumps but STAB Hurricane is nice and Boomburst might be useful for hitting Fairies.

The thing about Boomburst is I can't think of a scenario where it would outdo your STABs by all that much if anything. I'd rather run a fire move (almost all dragons get them), Focus Blast, or something else first.

Needs a Utility set

~Taunt
~U-Turn
~Hurricane
~Draco Meteor

252 Spe 252 SpA 5 Hp

Choice Scarf/ Life Orb/ Leftovers

Frisk is an amazing ability, especially if Megas get a lot of attention in OU.

Along with Greninja and Lucario , Noivern is looking like one of my favorite all-time Pokeon~
Regarding the viability of BoomBurst, I'd argue that it's a very viable move to be using on Noivern. It's pretty decent neutral coverage along with the ability to hit through Substitute is very important. This will prevent stupid Substitute sets that rely on getting certain KOs from opponents eliminating the Substitute first.

Noivern's Frisk is great for revealing items. Just liked to note that Infiltrator has some great utility in being able to bypass Safeguard, Mist, Reflect and Safeguard.

Edit: BoomBurst has a Base Power of 140 with perfect accuracy and NO drawbacks. Has to be one of OU's safest moves

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
The thing about Boomburst is I can't think of a scenario where it would outdo your STABs by all that much if anything. I'd rather run a fire move (almost all dragons get them), Focus Blast, or something else first.
I could see use on a Specs set as a more reliable option due to Draco's 90 acc and -2 Drop/Hurricane's accuracy.

Needs a Utility set

Frisk is an amazing ability, especially if Megas get a lot of attention in OU.
THIS! I didn't even think of that. Pokemon like Scizor, Tyrannitar, etc. Those pokemon have utilities that might merit a item other then a Mega-Stone so knowing what they have is a great advantage.

Boomburst has more flat power than a STAB Dragon Pulse. Unlike Draco Meteor, it doesn't sharply lower your SpA. Unlike Hurricane, it doesn't need weather to be accurate. It may also be Noivern's best answer to enemy Fairies.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

Boomburst has more flat power than a STAB Dragon Pulse. Unlike Draco Meteor, it doesn't sharply lower your SpA. Unlike Hurricane, it doesn't need weather to be accurate. It may also be Noivern's best answer to enemy Fairies.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.
Ok, this is a good point. If you need a single reliable option, then now I can see this move being usable.

Upstart

Copy Cat
Probably better for when the Lower Tiers begin but I present

Bats of a ...
Noivern @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Hp / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Nature: Timid
- Taunt
- Dragon Pulse / Hurricane / Boomburst
- Super Fang / U-turn / Toxic
- Roost

Stall Breaker Noivern takes a page from Crobat's playbook. With similar defenses, good defensive typing I have no doubt that Noivern will be surprisingly bulky. Taunt allows him to stop set up while u-turning for momentum or Super Fanging to nerf walls. Dragon Pulse is favored for the accuracy as well as providing great neutral damage.

Speed could be dropped to add more to attack. While Frisk could also be used as a means to scout for sets.

Some questions does infiltrator allow him to taunt and hit through subs?

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Changed the abilities on the sets to frisk. Both abilities have some use though imo. Frisk of course is great for letting Noivern scout items, which can help players predict opponent's sets (can even identify mega forms for example) allowing the player using Noivern to form a better game plan throughout the match because you know their Pokemon is a certain varient, definitely a small but useful tool. Infiltrator is interesting too though since it was apparently buffed to bypass opposing Substitutes, which is definitely pretty significant given how much utility the move has and how common it is, so i wouldn't rule it out yet! Upstart's set seems pretty interesting too, it's true that looking at noivern it shares a lot of similarities with crobat statwise and support movepool wise, so i could see it functioning pretty well in a similar role, might add that to the OP soon.

Last edited:
Noivern is definitely turning out better than expected. Frisk is a beautiful ability especially if your opponent has a team that doesn't contain Mawile, Absol, etc. It allows Noivern to easily pick out what Mega the opponent is using and set scouting is always lovely. That SR Weakness is nasty though, especially for a scouting mon. Boomburst might not have a place on every set but being stronger than STAB Dragon Pulse (by like 15+ BP even) is pretty great.

I agree with the above poster, Noivern is quite a bit like Crobat. They both have high speed and sub-par offensive stats but with great attacking options (in fact Brave Bird might be a better stab than Draco Meteor this gen lol), both have good synergy with Roost and U-Turn, and both have Super Fang to break down Steels and other such walls. Noivern has the ability to hit harder when it wants and its Dragon STAB is more valued in OU however I actually think Crobat is a better choice in UU considering its ability to counter the many fighting types that litter the tier. Actually, Crobat's Poison STAB will be really good now...who knows. I just see these two in direct competition, IMO!!!!

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just to clarify, someone confirmed in the research thread that all sound-based move can bypass Substitute, so Noivern has two ways to foil Substitute users, Infiltrator and Boomburst.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah it would be better just to use BoomBurst, since it's stronger than STAB Dragon Pulse, and the benefits of Frisk outweigh those of Infiltrator.

On a somewhat related, somewhat unrelated topic, what is the deal with Boomburst being so strong? A 140 BP, 10 PP attack with such good neutral coverage, ability to hit through subs, and no drawbacks seems too good to be true, even if it can't hit anything super-effectively and has such limited distribution.

On a somewhat related, somewhat unrelated topic, what is the deal with Boomburst being so strong? A 140 BP, 10 PP attack with such good neutral coverage, ability to hit through subs, and no drawbacks seems too good to be true, even if it can't hit anything super-effectively and has such limited distribution.
It likely has poor distribution. I wouldn't be surprised if Noivern and the Exploud lines are the only Pokemon that get it. I did not know that it hit through sub...nice lol. It's not THAT good, it's basically a 95 BP Dragon move for Noivern.

Drizzle was also pretty amazing in Gen 5 but it's not like they gave it to Kingdra lol.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah it would be better just to use BoomBurst, since it's stronger than STAB Dragon Pulse, and the benefits of Frisk outweigh those of Infiltrator.
It really depends on which metagame it will settle AG, and what Sub users are common. If the common Substitute users can't be dealt with Boomburst but can be dealt with Hurricane, Focus Blast, or Draco Meteor then Infiltrator might be the preferred option (assuming those Sub users are common enough).

It really depends on which metagame it will settle AG, and what Sub users are common. If the common Substitute users can't be dealt with Boomburst but can be dealt with Hurricane, Focus Blast, or Draco Meteor then Infiltrator might be the preferred option (assuming those Sub users are common enough).
I can imagine Mega-Garchomp and Noivern being able to tear apart stall teams quite well. From what I've seen, Mega Garchomp is probably one of the best wall breakers in the entire game, when you combine that with a Pokemon that can bypass substitutes or scout their team and has access to taunt...sounds good to me.

it hit through sub...nice lol. It's not THAT good, it's basically a 95 BP Dragon move for Noivern.
Except it can hit all faeries except Klefki for great damage.

It likely has poor distribution. I wouldn't be surprised if Noivern and the Exploud lines are the only Pokemon that get it. I did not know that it hit through sub...nice lol. It's not THAT good, it's basically a 95 BP Dragon move for Noivern.

Drizzle was also pretty amazing in Gen 5 but it's not like they gave it to Kingdra lol.
It's like having Night Slash as a coverage move, when you hit something super effectively, you're actually hitting them with 140 BP due to double damage. Also, 70 was the highest BP reachable by Hidden Power last generation, and it was still used exactly to hit Pokemon super effectively for that effective 140 BP. Plus, Boomburst actually goes through Substitue even when Noivern is running Frisk!

Boomburst is an amazing move. Really, really amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)