Pokémon Yveltal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just out of curiosity, what stops yveltal from being setup bait for xerneas?
Flying-STAB moves, Toxic from defensive sets, U-turn.

Yveltal has great synergy with steels such as Scizor, Jirachi, Metagross, and Bronzong as well.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Something tells me hurricane/oblivion wing are doing more to xerneas at +2 SpD than I would think, or I'm missing something here.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Just out of curiosity, what stops yveltal from being setup bait for xerneas?
Well it's gonna have issues switching into Yveltal's STABs first of all. Speed ties also suck.

That and Yveltal could use Acrobatics which will do a good 54% min assuming no Flying Gem.

Ok, I know it's bulk and stealth rock wealness might not make it seem worthwhile, but I have been running a set of Toxic / Substitute / Oblivion Wing / Filler Move. It can really stall well, between an OK 99 Speed and 75% recovery, it could even run some random berry or anything else. I can see it as a wall, even if everyone else just looks at it as a badass bird )=

Bryce

Lun
Taunt and Roost are interesting options on this thing.A set of Taunt/Hurricane/Dark Pulse/Roost with fast Tankish spread is worth running on offensive teams checking threats like Arceus Ghost while breaking stall and stoping many defensive and support pokes.SR weakness is very annoying for it though as it cannot switch in and out as it likes without wasting turns for recovery.

Oblivion Wing is too weak to be of decent use imo,or at least won't have much advantages over the reliable roost.131 Attacking stats aren't really high by uber standards.I think Yveltal's potential is mainly in it's defensive sets and maybe the Taunt+Roost attacker set I mentioned.

Taunt and Roost are interesting options on this thing.A set of Taunt/Hurricane/Dark Pulse/Roost with fast Tankish spread is worth running on offensive teams checking threats like Arceus Ghost while breaking stall and stoping many defensive and support pokes.SR weakness is very annoying for it though as it cannot switch in and out as it likes without wasting turns for recovery.

Oblivion Wing is too weak to be of decent use imo,or at least won't have much advantages over the reliable roost.131 Attacking stats aren't really high by uber standards.I think Yveltal's potential is mainly in it's defensive sets and maybe the Taunt+Roost attacker set I mentioned.
Really? 80 BP, with STAB, recovering 75% health isn't good? Taunt is good too, Sub / Toxic / Taunt / Oblivion Wing seems the way to go if you would like a stally tankish thing.

I know approximately jack-shit about the Ubers metagame, but maybe a Substitute+3 Attacks with Life Orb (usually not a good combination but Yveltal needs the boost from it and has Oblivion Wing) could be effective?

move 1: Dark Pulse
move 2: Oblivion Wing
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Substitute
item: Life Orb
ability: Dark Aura
nature: Timid
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe

Fairly simple moveset. Dark Pulse and Oblivion Wing are there for STAB, and Focus Blast for dealing with Tyranitar and any Steel-types that can take a Dark Pulse. Oblivion Wing > Hurricane on this set because Substitute and Life Orb will kill Yveltal pretty quickly otherwise. 232 Speed EVs and a Timid nature allow you to outspeed 252+ Rayquaza and Kyurem-W, and 32 HP EVs gives you 401 HP, which is a Substitute number if I remember correctly.

Code:
PS! Format:

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SAtk / 224 Spd
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Bryce

Lun
Yea but I would rather run Hurricane+Roost.Of course it has it's use on the specs set or defensive sets that can't afford both of those moves.So kinda said that wrongly in my previous post.

I would prefer oblivion wing over hurricane because of the accuracy. I don't want to have to rely on focus miss and another 70 accuracy move.

Yea but I would rather run Hurricane+Roost.Of course it has it's use on the specs set or defensive sets that can't afford both of those moves.So kinda said that wrongly in my previous post.
Yeah, but as already mentioned, it is unreliable out of Rain, which is nerfed now.

I think a he can also make great use of a sub/taunt + 3 attacks with Life Orb. Nothing can absolutely switch into it(Life Orb Dark Aura Dark Puls hurts neutrally) and thanks to Oblivion Wing he won't get worn out easily. I think his unique attributes and movepool make him perfect for such a set.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Goddammit

Why does game freak keep doing things that cause Lugia to become less and less useful

;___;

Thankfully it only has Focus Miss to hit (not hit?) Mega Tyranitar, which is probably going to become the better MegaPokemon in ubers (sorry mewtwo x/y and megagengar) just because it can check this total monstrosity of a Pokemon, especially the Choice Locked ones.

Last edited:
Can someone run some calculation (both offensive and defensive) on those potential sets?

Yveltal
Modest 252Hp 252SAtk 4Spe
@ Life Orb
U-turn (yeah i know with modest isn't gonna hurt much but i didn't want to lose bulk)
Oblivion Wing
Dark Pulse
Focus Blast

Calm 252Hp 4SAtk 252SDef
@ Assault vest
Taunt
Substitute
Oblivion Wing
Dark Pulse

Can someone run some calculation (both offensive and defensive) on those potential sets?

Yveltal
Modest 252Hp 252SAtk 4Spe
@ Life Orb
U-turn (yeah i know with modest isn't gonna hurt much but i didn't want to lose bulk)
Oblivion Wing
Dark Pulse
Focus Blast

Calm 252Hp 4SAtk 252SDef
@ Assault vest
Taunt
Substitute
Oblivion Wing
Dark Pulse
Why did u run attack evs with all special moves? Why waste it all only for U-turn?

Hone Claws is shit unless the Pokemon has Hustle, seems situational, why not just use Rain Dance + Hurricane anyways?

I'm hesitant to assume we'll only be seeing these guys in Ubers. Their stats are distributed weird, making it a lot harder for them to put their full BST to use compared to others with similar totals, and Fairy/Dark/Flying aren't nearly as scary types as ones like Dragon and Water. Given how Kyurem turned out with its own typing issues and very similar stat distribution, it's worth considering how they'd fare if given a similar chance.
Hmm, well Yveltal's good-yet-inconvenient speed tier is somewhat of an issue, and it does have trouble with a lot of common scarfers such as Kyurem-W and Kyogre since it generally prefers the ability to switch moves. It's still a powerhouse though with both offensive stats exceeding Ho-oh's Attack, access to three monstrous STAB Flying moves and an ability that gives a free life orb boost to its STAB Dark Attacks. I still think it is a bit too strong for OU, but I don't see it being as broken as, say, Mewtwo or Kyogre.

Xerneas however would never be allowed to go into OU, or would at least be quick-banned if it was. The already-common Power Herb Geomancy set would single-handedly break OU, and Xerneas' massive bulk, good typing and general power mean it would have no trouble setting up and annihilating the competition; it has more mixed bulk than ANY Pokemon outside Ubers - excepting Cresselia (who sucks) and Multiscale Dragonite (who is probably gonna be knocked down a couple of pegs by the new type).
Even aside from that, it basically single-handedly halts all dragons not called Dialga, even in Ubers; since very few of them are capable of hitting a bulky set even decently hard aside from an Ice Beaming Kyurem-W (who is swiftly blown to pieces by Moonblast), it basically stops half the Ubers metagame on its own - even Soul Dew Latios is useless against it! I don't see anything except maybe Steelix (physical sweeper only) and Registeel halting a sweep from it outside Ubers, and those two suck at pretty much everything else.
Really, the only way Xerneas would be able to be OU would be if lots of really powerful Mega Evos were to be allowed in OU; and I don't see Mega Gengar and Mega Lucario being let loose in OU for very long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)