Hidden Power
Substitute
Rock Slide
Protect
Surf
Scald
Sludge Bomb
U-turn

Clawitzer is essentially Gen. 6's shot at the traditional pure Water-type. It has an excellent 130 base SAtk coupled with a good ability and a great attacking movepool to abuse it with, covering most threats well on it's own while hitting decently hard. Despite a paltry 70 Atk stat, Clawitzer has access to Swords Dance and STAB priority on the physical side to surprise specially invested Pokemon. It's awful 55 base speed ruins any dreams Clawitzer has of being a sweeper on either attacking stat. Clawitzer sports usable but not stellar 70/100/100 defenses and a solid pure Water typing. Low speed and average defenses discourages the use of more offensive items such as Life Orb. However, access to U-turn does open up the possibility of a Choice set. All in all, Clawitzer doesn't have a lot to stand out from it's bulky water friends, but an almost unique ability and great movepool might just be enough to cut it as a tank.

All-out attacker
Mega Launcher
@Leftovers/Life Orb
252 SAtk 252 HP 4 Def
Modest

-Water Pulse
-Ice Beam/Dragon Pulse
-Aura Sphere
-Dark Pulse/Sludge Bomb/U-turn

This set gives up any attempt to work with Clawitzer's pitiful Speed and instead aims to give Clawitzer as much firepower and overall bulk as possible. Leftovers is the preferred item to bolster Clawitzer's barely on par defenses and especially with the presence of Mega evolution and Eviolite, Leftovers can make 70/100/100 seem a lot sturdier than it actually is. On the other hand,due to the power creep over the generations (especially concerning Mega evos), 130 SAtk by itself isn't as colossal anymore even with a Modest nature, and the lack of speed also definitely hinders offensive potential, so Life Orb may be used to solidify offensive presence.
Mega Launcher-boosted Water Pulse is to use as STAB, Water Pulse is essentially Surf with a chance of confusion and higher PP.
Dragon Pulse provides great neutral coverage and is also boosted by Mega Launcher, however, Clawitzer does have access to Ice Beam, which outdamages Dragon Pulse against the common x4 Ice-weak Dragons and also covers Grass types. If you feel you need more power against Dragons that are only x2 weak to Ice such as Haxorus and Goodra, feel free to use Dragon Pulse. Dragon Pulse is also your best option against most other Water types aside from the nerfed Hidden Power.
Aura Sphere is another great coverage move boosted by Mega Launcher that hits specific threats such as Ferrothorn,Greninja,Tyranitar, and Barbaracle much harder as well as providing fairly powerful neutral coverage against opposing Water types if not using Dragon Pulse.
The last slot can contain several moves. Dark Pulse is boosted by Mega Launcher and discourages Mega-Gengar from switching in and is also Clawitzer's best option against Aegislash and Starmie.
On the other hand, Sludge Bomb dents Fairy types such as Florges and can cover Grass types if Clawitzer doesnt use Ice Beam. If neither move is needed, U-turn can turn Clawitzer into an excellent pivot Pokemon.

I was also going to post a Choice set in addition to the above set but I got really discouraged upon realizing Scarfed Timid Clawitzer is still slower than unboosted positive natured base 108s, greatly limiting the number of top tier threats it can get the jump on and is certainly not worth sacrificing the extra power that Modest provides. Clawitzer just doesn't enjoy being unable to switch moves in general, as one of its main selling points is its diverse offensive movepool.
[EDIT] Expert Belt is also a viable item

Personally, I like Clawitzer a lot and I think he has the stats and movepool to get by in Standard, but he simply lacks that -wow- ability, or that -oooooh- typing, or even just a truly outstanding stat/move that other Pokemon likely to make OU exhibit. Mega Launcher is cool and all, but it doesnt make Clawitzer the unstoppable wallbreaker I would've liked it to be and there are several other bulkier Water types ready to out-perform him. However, Clawitzer can be a nifty addition to your team granted that you play by it's strengths. Just like any other remotely-viable Pokemon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again everybody is being too optimistic. Clawitzer doesn't have the stats for standard, I can't think of a reason to use it over megatoise (much better stats.) All it has is a good movepool that works with his ability well. Yes it all sort of fits together so there is no reason not to use him, but at the same time I can't figure why you would use him.

reskimming your post you kind of covered this well.

I really like Clawitzer, but unfortunately I have to ask, is there anything Clawitzer does that isn't already done and done better by Keldeo? They both have nearly the same Atk and SpA and very similar bulk, but Keldeo has access to a STAB Fighting-type move (do we know how much Mega Launcher boosts moves by? Disregard this point if it's 50%), isn't hard walled by the fat pink blobs, and most importantly, Keldeo has all this points and is also fast as all get out. Clawitzer is fun and potentially functional, but I can't think of anytime where you could use Clawitzer and not be better off using Keldeo.

Also, why no Choice Specs set in the OP? I know Choice Scarf sucks, but Specs could definitely crank up the firepower and make Clawitzer a scary thing to switch into. It's still outclassed by Keldeo, but hey, whatever.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Again everybody is being too optimistic. Clawitzer doesn't have the stats for standard, I can't think of a reason to use it over megatoise (much better stats.) All it has is a good movepool that works with his ability well. Yes it all sort of fits together so there is no reason not to use him, but at the same time I can't figure why you would use him.

reskimming your post you kind of covered this well.
I forgot to mention Mega-Toise, and while he does seem a lot better at first, he takes up a coveted Mega slot that could be used on something else, and is weaker than LO Clawitzer and also misses out on Lefties and Choice. So not exactly unconditionally superior.

I really like Clawitzer, but unfortunately I have to ask, is there anything Clawitzer does that isn't already done and done better by Keldeo? They both have nearly the same Atk and SpA and very similar bulk, but Keldeo has access to a STAB Fighting-type move (do we know how much Mega Launcher boosts moves by? Disregard this point if it's 50%), isn't hard walled by the fat pink blobs, and most importantly, Keldeo has all this points and is also fast as all get out. Clawitzer is fun and potentially functional, but I can't think of anytime where you could use Clawitzer and not be better off using Keldeo.

Also, why no Choice Specs set in the OP? I know Choice Scarf sucks, but Specs could definitely crank up the firepower and make Clawitzer a scary thing to switch into. It's still outclassed by Keldeo, but hey, whatever.
Mega Launcher is a 50% boost I'm quite sure. Keldeo doesn't get U-turn, which I guess is pretty minor but Starmie and the Lati twins also don't really give a damn about anything Keldeo throws at them besides rather weak-sauce HP Ghost (especially with dat nerf) and Icy Wind, while Claw has Dark Pulse to nuke them. Plus, Claw can hit Dragons in general harder with Ice Beam. I guess it also doesn't have a weakness to the new Fairy type like Keldy while still having Fighting psuedo-STAB thanks to Mega Launcher.
Whether that makes up for the speed difference is really up to you. And I don't like Specs on Clawitzer simply because it is so much more prone to being outclassed due to undermining Claw's great movepool not to mention being prone to every hazard. Claw isn't scary to switch into because of it's power, but because of its moves. Feel free to recommend a set though.

Last edited:

It's 50%.

For now, Clawitzer has existing in XY as a point over Keldeo, but only for the next two months at most.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Existing is definitely a plus!

Anyhow, Mega Launcher effectively gives Clawitzer Fighting-STAB in the form of Aura Sphere, just like Keldeo. Clawitzer also carries "STAB" Dark Pulse, and can run U-Turn as well to chip away and maintain momentum (I'm still mystified that this hulking, clumsy thing can learn it). With max HP investment he can take a hit quite well too. Too bad he doesn't get a stronger water STAB, but a boosted Water Pulse is still quite nice considering the Hydro Miss nerf.

Obviously, he lacks the speed to be a top-tier threat and is outclassed by Mega Blastoise, but he has his advantages and will definitely be a solid choice in lower tiers. Scarf is no good, but what about Specs?

What it has over Keldeo is that it can be used on Trick Room teams and is not weak to Fairies?
Those are the only pros it has over Keldeo.

+ Mega Launcher essentially gives STAB on most of Clawlitzer's coverage moves
+ Amazing offensive movepool that lets it past the things Keldeo has trouble with, such as Starmie, Celebi, and Jellicent with Dark Pulse, U-turn, Ice Beam, etc.
+ Solid typing with only 2 weaknesses alongside with it's pseudo-STABs
- No Secret Sword to get past Blissey
- Horrible Attack and Speed
- Mediocre Speed, not sweeping material, but perhaps Scarf or Specs.

I love this thing so far, though I am sad about the speed, I think it MIGHT have a place on sticky web based team IF sticky web doesn't become mainstream and becomes more of a team type than something every team needs to have. I think with the current distribution that is a a possibility over becoming as mainstream as stealth rocks. If so then clawitzer could find a place on such a team as it's bad speed won't matter as much. Also I can see it being decent on trick room teams as well.

Outside of that as much as I love the Mega Cannon Clawmon, I think it's speed will hold it back to much.

Also is anyone else bummed this guy doesn't get shell smash or any speed boosting move I have tried so far (no rock polish, no agility at least).

Last edited:
According to Serebii both Clauncher and Clawitzer get Shell Smash at lvl 47. Maybe a typo? Or maybe one learns Aqua Jet and the other one learns Shell Smash? Anyone can confirm?

Also is anyone else bummed this guy doesn't get shell smash or any speed boosting move I have tried so far (no rock polish, no agility at least).
Actually, Serebii is telling me that it learns Shell Smash by level-up, which would increase its viability considerably. Not sure if this is confirmed by the Smogon researchers though. The same page also lists its stats as a fair bit lower, with eighty-something defenses and 120 Special Attack, so in that case, I think Clawitzer might end up in UU. It'll still be an interesting Pokemon to play, though. Maybe if your team has a dangerous Fairy weakness and can't use Keldeo?

Ed: Ninja'd by Pepiux. :p

According to Serebii both Clauncher and Clawitzer get Shell Smash at lvl 47. Maybe a typo? Or maybe one learns Aqua Jet and the other one learns Shell Smash? Anyone can confirm?
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/693.shtml confirmed.

Darkerones see this, you might want to update your thread a bit.

Shell Smash

Clawitzer | Life Orb / White Herb | Mega Launcher
4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
Shell Smash | Surf | Ice Beam | Aura Sphere / Dark Pulse

Sweep. This is all self-explanitory.

Wait seriously? MY friend leveled one up to 70 and must have missed that because we were specifically looking for it, so we thought egg move maybe and tried but nothing. I apologize for the misinfo then.

Also it might still make OU with this because with mega launcher it gets shell smash and basically stab (if it is 1.5x like I have seen in other threads on smogon) on 3 different moves (water and 2 of fighting, dark, dragon)

Upstart

Copy Cat
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/693.shtml confirmed.

Darkerones see this, you might want to update your thread a bit.

Shell Smash

Clawitzer | Life Orb / White Herb | Mega Launcher
4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
Shell Smash | Surf | Ice Beam | Aura Sphere / Dark Pulse

Sweep. This is all self-explanitory.
I ask that you provide proof before starting hype about shell smash clawitzer. This is how Rapid Spin Greninja started. Serebii said himself that it was entered by hand and may contain errors (which he is known for). He lists shell smash at level 47, the same level that the research thread lists aqua jet. So allow us to prove that it has Shell smash before jumping on the hype train, making sets, or even discussing it. The goal of such a thread is to discuss the known aspects of the pokemon and their possible roles in the metagame.

As of now Clawitzer is akin to special offensive version of escavalier in the lower tiers. Unfortuantely it requires Choice Specs in order to secure a pile of OHKO's, which is problematic as it prevents him from taking advantage of his rather odd but great coverage. As has been mentioned with several pokemon this generation, Clawitzer could pose as a potent Trick Room Sweeper.

That is plain wrong, I have a Clawitzer and it learns Aqua Jet at that level, not Shell Smash.

On the other hand, there is a possibility it can learn it through breeding being of the same egg group as the other ones but someone would have to test it.

Upstart

Copy Cat
You are missing Heal Pulse as part of his move pool. For those who don't know Heal Pulse is essentially recovery. Heal Pulse is a fantastic addition to its move pool alongside his bulk and water typing.

You are missing Heal Pulse as part of his move pool. For those who don't know Heal Pulse is essentially recovery. Heal Pulse is a fantastic addition to its move pool alongside his bulk and water typing.
Can he use it one himself? Someone said it is a doubles only move that can only be used on other pokemon.

Upstart

Copy Cat
Can he use it one himself? Someone said it is a doubles only move that can only be used on other pokemon.
My bad, I thought that I had heard that the mechanics changed but according to research it has not and thus he cannot use it on himself.

Heal Pulse (B/W) said:
Heal Pulse
TypePowerAccuracyPPPriorityDamageTarget
Psychic--100-Single non-user
Description
Heals the target by 1/2 of its maximum HP, rounded half up. The user of this move cannot also be the target. Pokemon protected by Magic Coat or the ability Magic Bounce are unaffected and instead use this move themselves.

Competitive Use
Heal Pulse is useless in singles. However, in doubles it can be a great way to keep your partner in prime fighting condition. Ideally, Heal Pulse users should be paired with powerful Pokemon that can dish out strong attacks. Good candidates for this role include Blissey, Latias, and Audino.
I guess that solves the problem.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I have a Clawitzer of my own and can also confirm that he DOES NOT get Shell Smash. Heal Pulse is also useless in competitive singles
But if there are any other important moves I missed do tell me and feel free to recommend additional sets.

This guy is actually pretty powerful. However, I think that it is almost totally outclassed by Manaphy as a pure water type due to the later's better defenses, speed and Tail Glow (too bad Wonder Launcher doesn't boost a STAB move!), and by Keldeo as an offensive water-type. It does have a small niche as being more powerful than the former and not OHKO'd by Talonflame and weak to Fairy like the later, but apart from that I'm not seeing too much going for Clawitzer.

Has anyone levelled up a Clauncher without evolving it to a Clawitzer to see if it gets Shell Smash, like Shroomish getting Spore after it is able to evolve to Breloom?

Has anyone levelled up a Clauncher without evolving it to a Clawitzer to see if it gets Shell Smash, like Shroomish getting Spore after it is able to evolve to Breloom?
I was thinking this as well. Someone will have to do that (if, in a few days, it still isn't done, I'll work on it myself)

I have a Clawitzer of my own and can also confirm that he DOES NOT get Shell Smash. Heal Pulse is also useless in competitive singles
But if there are any other important moves I missed do tell me and feel free to recommend additional sets.
it gets shell smash at level 47 not through the move relearner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)