Battle Mechanics Research

cb aaron judge

ALL RISE
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
judging from how much a non stab superpower from an unboosted mold breaker pinsir did to my furfrou with fur coat (nearly koed it from full health despite the pinsir being 8 levels lower), it should be safe to say that mold breaker bypasses fur coat

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I spent a handful of hours getting near-complete information on Bulletproof. The following moves are nullified when the target is a Pokemon with Bulletproof (same way that Soundproof does, doubles and triples interaction not tested):

Acid Spray (Acid Bomb in Japanese)
Aura Sphere (Wave Bomb in Japanese)
Barrage (Ball Throw in Japanese)
Bullet Seed (Seed Machine Gun in Japanese)
Egg Bomb
Electro Ball
Energy Ball
Focus Blast (Fighting Spirit Bullet in Japanese)
Gyro Ball
Ice Ball
Magnet Bomb
Mud Bomb
Octazooka
Seed Bomb
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Weather Ball

Thematically, every move had some sort of bullet-esque action or was named bomb/ball/bullet in either English or Japanese. I also tested all of the following moves, with none of them being blocked by Bulletproof:

Aqua Jet, Bubble Beam, Bullet Punch, Fire Blast, Flame Burst, Flash Cannon, Fling, Fury Attack, Hydro Cannon, Lava Plume, Moonblast, Mirror Shot, Mud Shot, Night Daze, Pin Missile, Self-Destruct (Explosion), Spit Up, Water Gun, Water Pulse.

If you would like me to test anything else, do let me know. Moves I cannot test right now but think might be plausible / worth testing in the future:

Aeroblast (Lugia exclusive)
Luster Purge (Latios exclusive)
Mist Ball (Latias exclusive)
Searing Shot (Victini exclusive, Flame Bomb in Japanese)
Seed Flare (Shaymin exclusive)
Techno Blast (Genesect exclusive)

Of these, Mist Ball and Searing Shot will be most likely the only ones that will be ignored by Bulletproof. The others are included mostly because they fit the flavor of the move pretty decently, and because why not.

Last edited:
I belive that moves which deal 'mental damage' cannot be blocked, which is why we're seeing things go through protect.
Someone test with that new fairy type attack, alluring voice I think it's called?

So, Nature Power is affected by moves like Grassy Terrain. In a wild battle in a cave, where Nature Power normally turns into Power Gem, after Grassy Terrain was used it turned into Energy Ball instead. I don't have anything with the moves on me right now, but I'm guessing Nature Power is also affected by Misty Terrain and that Electric type one too.

Also I don't know if it's been said already but in wifi battles Nature Power turns into Tri Attack

EDIT: I also checked to see if weather affected Nature Power, but after testing with Rain Dance it didn't change anything

I know this is the wrong thread for this, but I don't know where else to post this and I think it's very important:

You can go to the Move Relearner and relearn egg moves.

IMAG0475.jpg
I've been told that this wasn't the case in previous games. The implications for this are huge - it means you can be more flexible with movesets and don't have to preserve the egg move throughout the entire life of the Pokemon.

Note: This works regardless of if the egg move was accidentally overwritten while in Daycare, or if you intentionally overwrite it with a TM.

Last edited:
I belive that moves which deal 'mental damage' cannot be blocked, which is why we're seeing things go through protect.
Someone test with that new fairy type attack, alluring voice I think it's called?
The phrase 'mental attacks' refers to Taunt, Torment and Encore, doesn't it?

Aroma Veil's Japanese description is 味方へのメンタル攻撃を防ぐ, which contains メンタル as in 'Mental Herb' (メンタルハーブ); besides, the English description states that 'Protects allies from attacks that limit their move choices', so I think that's the meaning.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I know this is the wrong thread for this, but I don't know where else to post this and I think it's very important:

You can go to the Move Relearner and relearn egg moves.

View attachment 2259
I've been told that this wasn't the case in previous games. The implications for this are huge - it means you can be more flexible with movesets and don't have to preserve the egg move throughout the entire life of the Pokemon.

Note: This works regardless of if the egg move was accidentally overwritten while in Daycare, or if you intentionally overwrite it with a TM.
Does it also work with level-up moves the pokémon knew from their parents?

So, Nature Power is affected by moves like Grassy Terrain. In a wild battle in a cave, where Nature Power normally turns into Power Gem, after Grassy Terrain was used it turned into Energy Ball instead. I don't have anything with the moves on me right now, but I'm guessing Nature Power is also affected by Misty Terrain and that Electric type one too.

Also I don't know if it's been said already but in wifi battles Nature Power turns into Tri Attack

EDIT: I also checked to see if weather affected Nature Power, but after testing with Rain Dance it didn't change anything
just an update, Misty Terrain makes Nature Power turn into Moonblast. I have no idea what learns Electric Terrain but it should be pretty easy to test if someone has a Pokemon who learns it

I spent a handful of hours getting near-complete information on Bulletproof. The following moves are nullified when the target is a Pokemon with Bulletproof (same way that Soundproof does, doubles and triples interaction not tested):

Acid Spray (Acid Bomb in Japanese)
Aura Sphere (Wave Bomb in Japanese)
Barrage (Ball Throw in Japanese)
Bullet Seed (Seed Machine Gun in Japanese)
Egg Bomb
Electro Ball
Energy Ball
Focus Blast (Fighting Spirit Bullet in Japanese)
Gyro Ball
Ice Ball
Magnet Bomb
Mud Bomb
Octazooka
Seed Bomb
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Weather Ball

Thematically, every move had some sort of bullet-esque action or was named bomb/ball/bullet in either English or Japanese. I also tested all of the following moves, with none of them being blocked by Bulletproof:

Aqua Jet, Bubble Beam, Bullet Punch, Fire Blast, Flame Burst, Flash Cannon, Fling, Fury Attack, Hydro Cannon, Lava Plume, Moonblast, Mirror Shot, Mud Shot, Night Daze, Pin Missile, Self-Destruct (Explosion), Spit Up, Water Gun, Water Pulse.

If you would like me to test anything else, do let me know. Moves I cannot test right now but think might be plausible / worth testing in the future:

Aeroblast (Lugia exclusive)
Luster Purge (Latios exclusive)
Mist Ball (Latias exclusive)
Searing Shot (Victini exclusive, Flame Bomb in Japanese)
Seed Flare (Shaymin exclusive)
Techno Blast (Genesect exclusive)

Of these, Mist Ball and Searing Shot will be most likely the only ones that will be ignored by Bulletproof. The others are included mostly because they fit the flavor of the move pretty decently, and because why not.
Can you test out Rollout, Rock Blast, Draco Meteor, Eruption, and Gunk Shot?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
just an update, Misty Terrain makes Nature Power turn into Moonblast. I have no idea what learns Electric Terrain but it should be pretty easy to test if someone has a Pokemon who learns it
Incidentally... if you have Zygarde, could you test its signature move (Land's Wrath, iirc) with the Terrain moves and see if the type/damage/anything changes?

me and Zebraiken just ran a few more tests and learned some interesting stuff. We tested:

Sky Drop\Gravity glitch: fixed?
Yes, it is fixed this generation. After Aerodactyl and the Sky Dropped Alakazam were brought back down after Xerneas used Gravity.

However, we learned something that I don't think existed last generation. There is a weight limit on what you can Sky Drop. Aerodactyl failed to pick up Metang because it was "to heave to be lifted". I'm unsure if that was a mechanic in gen 5, but if it wasn't, we'll need to learn what causes the mechanic.

we also tested:
Sheer Force: does it no longer negate Life Orb recoil\Eject Button activation\etc?
It negates LO recoil, i don't have an eject button to test, but when I get one I'll test that too.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Can you test out Rollout, Rock Blast, Draco Meteor, Eruption, and Gunk Shot?
Yes. I had Gunk Shot on my list earlier, don't know why I missed it.

(I don't think it will block any of these, though.)

@ the Sky Drop effect: It's probably important to note that my Metang was not Light Metal, it was Clear Body. :o

Last edited:
What would happen in the following scenario: A faster Pokemon Taunts a Xerneas using Geomancy on Turn 1, but the Xerneas has a Mental Herb and still goes through with the charge turn. If the faster Pokemon uses Taunt again on Turn 2, does it prevent Geomancy?

• Freeze Dry: is it still super-effective against Water-types whose other type also resists Ice? Is it blocked by Water Absorb\Storm Drain?
Tested this with Nexus and DHR.

Freeze Dry dealt 4x damage against both Gyarados and Palpitoad. Which means that it is Super effective against Water-types, but acts as an Ice-type attack when dealing with the secondary type of the Pokemon. It did neutral damage to Cloyster, who's secondary type resists Ice.

So no, Freeze Dry is not super effective against Water-types whose other type resists ice.

Freeze Dry is also not absorbed by Water Absorb, it dealt 4x damage to Water Absorb Palpitoad. I would assume its the same with storm drain, but no one had a storm drain mon to test it on.

Would the following scenario allow for two Megamon in a party?

I activate M-Lucario. Opponent activates M-Charizard. I switch in a Ditto with Imposter.

Do I now have a M-Lucario, with a M-Charizard on the field?

Question: does defog still only remove hazards and reflect-type stuff on the opponent's side or does it remove hazards on both sides?

I really hope it's the latter.

Has it been tested if Flash Fire boosts persist through mega evolving?

IE houndoom comes into a flamethrower. gets the boost, then mega evolves?

If it hasn't been I'll test with someone when i get back from work

I only play OU on Showdown and the last pokemon game I played was Diamond so forgive me if this is already well known,

but Toxic works on Dig users

(I was underground and enemy used Toxic and I got badly poisioned)

jake

underdog of the year
Does Sucker Punch activate King’s Shield Attack drop?
No, it does not. Sucker Punch simply fails because the King's Shield user is not attacking. I can confirm due to various Pokemon in Maison constantly trying to Sucker Punch my Aegislash.

Also, curiously, Pain Split and Roar have both gone through King's Shield on the first use in Maison. I don't know what this entails, but I'll test them in a WiFi battle later and try other moves if they still go through.

Edit: Taunt and Encore have also gone through King's Shield in the Battle Maison

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)