Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokedex Number
Type - Water/Flying (ME: Water/Dark)
Base Stats - 95 HP / 125 Atk / 79 Def / 60 SpAtk / 100 SpDef / 81 Spe
Base Stats (ME) - 95 HP / 155 Atk / 109 Def / 70 SpAtk / 130 SpDef / 81 Spe

Ability - Intimidate [Lowers the foe's Attack stat]
Ability - Moxie [Boosts the Attack stat after knocking out any Pokémon]
Ability (ME) - Mold Breaker [Moves can be used on the target regardless of its Abilities]

Notable Moves:
Taunt
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Bounce
Crunch
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Dragon Tail

Overview
Gyarados just gets better and better with every new metagame. It was usable in Generation III, but not great; it had a good defensive and offensive typing that gave it just a couple of weaknesses, but lacked good STABs to take advantage of its massive 125 attack stat and Dragon Dance. The Special/Physical split of the DPP era was incredible for it, finally giving it a high-powered STAB in Waterfall as well as new toys in Taunt, Stone Edge, and Bounce. In Generation VI, it was one of a number of Pokemon who gained access to a Mega Evolution. At the beginning of XY, the strength of Gyarados and its Mega were heavily debated due to being overshadowed by Megas with much more obvious (and potentially overhyped) benefits, but it emerged as one of the best Dragon Dancers in the tier, thanks to its bulk in both forms (its normal formed backed by typing and Intimidate, the Mega having immense natural defenses) easing its ability to set up and go for a sweep.

ORAS OU has gifted Gyarados with a single move that has catapulted its Mega form into a top-tier threat: Crunch. Now with incredible coverage with just its two STABs, Mega Gyarados can crash through teams. Though its place among the top Megas was initially questioned, it is now regarded an incredible threat and something for which every viable team must be prepared. Gyarados hasn't lost its step, and remains one of the best Pokemon in OU.

Mega Gyarados (Offensive Dragon Dance)
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate (Mold Breaker)
IVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake / Substitute / Taunt

Gyarados's bread-and-butter set. The two keys to using this set properly are not setting up too early until its checks and counters are out of the way or weakened (such as Keldeo, Azumarill, and Chesnaught), and not Mega Evolving as soon as it enters battle. Its original Water/Flying typing is arguably better than its Mega's, and having the power to choose when to Mega Evolve can potentially dodge some stronger threats. Also, keeping Intimidate can allow you to check offensive threats. Its STABs are mandatory, as well as Dragon Dance. Earthquake is for extra coverage, Substitute is for possible setup opportunities, and Mold Breaker Taunt allows it to beat slower threats such as Mega Sableye and Skarmory that threaten to slow or stop its sweep. Adamant boosts its power noticeably, but a Jolly nature allows it to outspeed up to base 145s after a single Dragon Dance.

Bulky Dragon Dance
Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate / Moxie (Mold Breaker)
IVs: 88 HP / 220 Atk / 4 Def / 196 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

A slower, slightly less powerful version of Gyarados, but no less threatening. A Gyarados behind a Sub and with one DD under its scales was one of the most terrifying threats to face in Generation V, and this generation has changed little. Bounce is a great STAB; while two-turn attacks are normally frowned upon, this more defensive variant appreciates the extra turn of Leftovers recovery to regain the health lost from Substitute, adds a good chance to paralyze the opponent, and forces switches against one of the best STABs in the game.

Final Thoughts:
There are few Pokemon where both the original form and the Mega are viable and strong options in OU; currently, both forms sit comfortably in the A-ranks, with normal Gyarados in A- and Mega Gyarados in A+. It's a shame I don't see the Mega form more often, because it faces competition from so many other 'mons for the Mega slot. However, Gyarados is one of the most reliable Pokemon in OU due to its great bulk and typing for a set-up sweeper. When both forms can be as powerful as they are, it's a good idea to keep Gyarados in mind, as it is flexible enough to fit on a myriad of teams.

Last edited:
I really don't like Gyara's Mega evo for a lot of reasons.

Compared to Water/Flying, Water/Dark is honestly a bad defensive typing despite having 6 resistances. Instead of being weak to Electric and Rock you are weak to Electric, Fighting, Bug, and Grass, and Fairy (two of which Gyarados resists), don't have an immunity to Ground, have an even more unreliable STAB (lol bite what a joke), and the only resistances you get to condensate for it are Psychic (which usually have something like Focus Blast), Ghost (Gengar also carries Focus Blast), and Dark (rare outside of Tyranitar tbh)

Mold Breaker also isn't really that useful because SubDD already sets up all over Gastrodon and nothing else is really immune to water. It maybe helps against Rotom-W if you carry Earthquake but that's honestly the extent of it. Also, RestTalk is pretty bad since so much can honestly wear it down due to the myriad of weaknesses, its definitely not its best set this generation.

I still think Gyarados is good but its Mega-Evo is underwhelming.

For those who still aren't aware, Intimidate does NOT reduce attack 2 stages. That was a mistake on Serebii's part, because they forgot to include Simple. Just gonna get that out of the way first.

Thank you for this. I was about to make one myself, but after a physics midterm, I didn't feel like more math for the EVs.

Gyarados will be useful, as usual. I do like how that mono-attacker set looks, actually. However, I'm much more likely to stick with regular Gyarados. Mostly because I don't believe that the Mega Evolution for him offers up enough to take up the mega slot, when you have pokemon who make key uses of it like Blastoise and Gengar.

Dragon Dance is a staple on almost any Gyarados set, of course, Intimidate, good typing on a lot of things, allows him an easy time setting up, and water is an amazing offensive type. I do wish he got a better flying type move than bounce, though. I still prefer running EQ or Stone edge over bounce.

Taunt gives him a lot of new options as well against some of the new pokemon, particularly against one of the emerging threats in Aegislash. Water / flying lets him resist sacred sword and Iron head from Aegislash, taunt prevents SD and King's shield, and EQ hits him hard.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Gyarados does receive crunch this time around, doesn't it? it's a b it better than payback for a dragon dance set.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, agreeing with Swamp-Rocket. Using the Mega Stone really limits the amount of opportunities Gyarados can set up, and in return for using it, Gyarados only gains a few notable things. I only find its Mega evolution best for an Offensive Dragon Dance set, where Gyarados's increased Attack can act as a substitute for Life Orb without the recoil.

Gyarados does receive crunch this time around, doesn't it? it's a b it better than payback for a dragon dance set.
Does he? I sure hope he does. STAB waterfall and STAB crunch could have me actually trying some stuff with the mega form.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Mega gyara is a difficult case on the one hand the increase in bulk and attack is nice and complement his role as a bulky set-up sweeper quite well, but 81 base speed was slow in Gen 5 and Gen 6 isn't going to be more kind. What really bugs me though is the type change Water/flying was a brilliant typing the 4x electric weakness sucked, but it was well worth the fighting and bug resist that allowed it to switch into top threats like Scizor/keldeo etc. while is Water/dark is nice for offensive coverage (especially since steel doesn't resists Dark anymore) if it doesn't get crunch in some way now it will be impossible to make use out of its new typing since bite isn't exactly a good stab and defensivly Water/Dark is pretty mediocre. I think sometimes it might be more practical to mega evolove after you have set-up a few dragon dances and then mega evolve when you go on a sweep and need the extra power or maybe don't even mega evolve at all if you see an opposing Breloom of something.
The Rain nerf also kinda sucks for him, but thats the case for every water type/rain abuser so lets just be happy they found a good way to nerf weather.

Mega Gyarados is meant for offense DD. Random electric attacks no longer cut your sweep short, while Mold Breaker + Waterfall and Crunch which got a nice buff this gen(if it gets it) means you don't have to rely on Bounce for coverage, which isn't that good on the offense DD set. SR becomes much more managable if you are forced out. And hey, more attack without LO recoil is always nice on a boosting set. Mach Punch weakness sucks, but it has the bulk to tank it now(and alot of things).

Do boosts carry when you mega evo?

I mean is there going to be some applications where it makes more sense to Dragon Dance and then MegaEvo, depending on what your facing? Also, how does mega evo'ing affect Rest/Sleep Talk? Can you at all?

I actually might prefer the mega-evolution as a rest-talker because it lacks a SR-weakness + it has increased bulk and attack. However, the loss of the flying type now makes it weak to fighting type rather than resting them which Gyarados mainly did. So idk, I feel that it will have a niche though somewhere, a bulky water with intimidate isn't something you gloss over.

From reading all this, gyarados his only real good mega set is the one for offensive DD, with posibility to MEVO later with the type change in mind. This comparing with his other sets makes him unpredictable for other people. Even more so if you don't MEVO the first turn. Mind games can be played.

The only question is to seal the faith of mega gyrados offensive DD, will it get crunch.

Honestly I think Mega Gyarados outclasses Gyarados on the defensive DD. First of all he can make use of Intimidate before Mega Evolving, Second he doesn't have a crippling weakness to electeric allowing him to stay in longer, lastly his boosted defenses allow his subs to stay intact against many other weak attacks. The Leftovers recovery isn't worth losing the boosted defenses and attack.

Last edited:
I actually might prefer the mega-evolution as a rest-talker because it lacks a SR-weakness + it has increased bulk and attack. However, the loss of the flying type now makes it weak to fighting type rather than resting them which Gyarados mainly did. So idk, I feel that it will have a niche though somewhere, a bulky water with intimidate isn't something you gloss over.
I still rather use normal Gyarados for both kinds of RestTalk sets (Special and Physical defensive ones). For example 248 HP/252 SpD Positive Gyarados easily beats most Infernape variants (watch out on T-Punches and +2 Stone Edges though), Keldeo (resist his both main STABS with Flying/Water), easily swtiches on Water Specs users (now with rain nerfed), beating pretty much all Heatran sets (except rare TormentTran), GRENINJA without HP electric while also resisting U-Turn as a nice bonus and Gengar can't 2HKO back Gyarados even with Modest Specs Shadow Ball on SR, so yeah, invested Gyarados actually can take hits on special side as long as they are not electric type ones. If you want overkill special bulk (and with RestTalk it should be viable enough + rapid spin support), instead of Leftovers you may run Assault Vest and suddenly turn yourself into one of the best special tanks around (which I think actually is good idea, although lack of Leftovers may hurt). x4 Electric weakness hurts, but it's technically his only one on special, while resisting -Water, -Fire, -Fighting while taking neutral hits from example for -Grass attacks. While -Dark typing take SE hits for example on -Grass and -Fighting attacks, so you are not screwed by random Grass Knots/Energy Balls/Focus Blasts and you can easily take many of those while being neutral/resisting. Although I admit that immunity to Psychic and Ghost resist (also lack of SR weakness) are nice bonuses, but in overall I think trade-off is not worth it, although targets they both counter may look different (mostly psychic types in case of MegaGyarados).

On Physical one - no competition from MegaGyarados. Fighting weakness is really, REALLY crippling weakness, which for example doesn't allow him to counter MegaLucario (no Stone Edge variants), something which normal Intimidate version does. Also you have no snowball chance in hell to check for example Conkeldurr as well, something that normal one can do as well (although you need to phaze it as you can't hurt bulk up versions). Of course Intimidate is another reason why Normal Gyarados is just better pick for this (yeah, you don't need to transform imediately, but loosing that Intimidate in later phase of the game may hurt like hell). Also nice bonus for normal Gyarados is this nice Earth attacks immunity, which is great coverage move for many physical attackers and as long as physical set-up dragons (with DD or SD) are forced to run Dragon Claw instead of Outrage for their dragon STAB (because of existance of Fairies, but we don't know yet if it's gonna happen) Defensive Normal Gyarados can easily check/counter all of them with Intimidate in as long as they don't smash him with +1 or +2 Outrages as he handles everything else easily (ok, Stone Edges are kind of a problem as well).

So yeah - for RestTalk always normal one IMO unless for specific Psychic/Ghost counter (and with Ghost you may... actually be worse as you don't enjoy taking random Focus Blasts at all).

Honestly I think Mega Gyarados outclasses Gyarados on the defensive DD. First of all he can make use of Intimidate before Mega Evolving, Second he doesn't have a crippling weakness to electeric allowing him to stay in longer, lastly his boosted defenses allow his subs to stay intact against many other weak attacks (Slowbro's Psychic for example). The Leftovers recovery isn't worth losing the boosted defenses and attack.
You're supposed to use Leftovers for the extra Substitutes. It's too slow to be walling anything with a defensive DD set, he's still too slow and you're wasting offensive potential. Enjoy those Mach Punches, too.

I was really hoping he'd be the obvious Water/Dragon with Levitate.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mold Breaker helps a bit in a few situations:

- Toxicroak was a major thorn to Waterfall / Bounce.
- Helps hit Gastrodon for neutral STAB if running EQ.

The ability also helps a little if you're using an offensive set and someone decides to throw Sturdy at you. Granted, you would probably be using MoxieDos and assuming a Dragon Dance / etc.

I have looked and so far no Crunch for Gyarados. I went to the move reminder in Dendemille Town and have raised it thus far to Level 57 (the last move it learned was Hyper Beam @ 47).

Overall, I doubt Mega Gyarados will be very popular. Bulky Dragon Dance sets were always preferred, though I guess Mega Gyarados could work on offensive Moxie sets.

I don't think Mega Gyarados's typing is a problem.

DD on something you can force out. A Scizor locked into Bullet Punch etc.
They switch in say, Scarf Rotom.
No fucks given, Megavolve and sponge the Volt Switch with your better-than-Latias bulk and DD again.
You are now faster than Scarf Latios (if Jolly), have +2 attack, Earhquake that can hit Rotom W, Waterfall that hits Gastrodon / Toxicroak.

OR

DD on something you can force out. A Scizor locked into Bullet Punch etc.
They switch in say, Scarf Terrakion.
Do they Stone Edge or Close Combat? 50/50 guess of course but if you megavolve or don't correctly you take a weaker hit and reach +2.
You can now sweep with +2 non-mega Gyarados and potentially Moxie sweep.

Mega Gyarados is good because it can completely flip its typing and stats at near instant speeds. It doesn't lose what Gyarados had (besides Leftovers), it simply gains more options. It can adapt to multiple situations more easily.

Just want to confirm that CRUNCH is NOT an egg move, attempted to breed it with drudgion who had crunch and it was a no go. Very disappointed in Game Freak on this one.

Just want to confirm that CRUNCH is NOT an egg move, attempted to breed it with drudgion who had crunch and it was a no go. Very disappointed in Game Freak on this one.
Do you really think Magikarp could learn Crunch?

Well, Gyarados still gets Bite lol. Easily OHKOs Jellicent, Lati@s, Starmie, and 252 HP Celebi after Stealth Rock at +1. Granted it could do the same with Bounce, but... ah well. It's something I guess.

Breeding Gyrados with Drudgion thinking that might have changed him in this gen to allow breeding of moves. No dice, I guess we have to hope for move tutor in the next game.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mega Gyarados will only be worth it if he learns Crunch. With a set of 252 Atk / 252 Spe Adamant and a moveset of Dragon Dance / Waterfall / Crunch / Earthquake, Mega Gyarados can get past many of the Pokemon against which normal Gyarados struggled against, such as Rotom-W (Mold Breaker Earthquake), Perish Song Celebi, physically defensive Jellicent (which could wall offensive DD sets), and Slowbro. Not only this, but Crunch + Mold Breaker Earthquake + Waterfall have perfect neutral coverage in OU. Also, with the Dark typing, Mega Gyarados can check Pokemon such as Swords Dance Aegislash and Sucker Punch Mega Mawile, which could be very useful for frail offensive teams lacking a resist to Ghost-type moves.

However, this is the only role Mega Gyarados could take in OU. RestTalk sets on it are a joke for two reasons: No Intimidate (main reason why RestTalk Gyarados works in the first place) and bad defensive typing.

Last edited:
Mega Gyarados will only be worth it if he learns Crunch. With a set of 252 Atk / 252 Spe Adamant and a moveset of Dragon Dance / Waterfall / Crunch / Earthquake Mega Gyarados can get past many of the Pokemon against which normal Gyarados struggled against, such as Rotom-W (Mold Breaker Earthquake), Perish Song Celebi, physically defensive Jellicent (which could wall offensive DD sets), and Slowbro. Not only this, but Crunch + Mold Breaker Earthquake + Waterfall have perfect neutral coverage in OU. Also, with the Dark typing, Mega Gyarados can check Pokemon such as Swords Dance Aegislash and Sucker Punch Mega Mawile, which could be very useful for frail offensive teams lacking a resist to Ghost-type moves.

However, this is the only role Mega Gyarados could take in OU. RestTalk sets on it are a joke for two reasons: No Intimidate (main reason why RestTalk Gyarados works in the first place) and bad defensive typing.
It OHKOs the first two with STAB boosted Bite. Do people even use Slowbro? Mega Gyarados imo will be used for the its ability to instantly change its typing and the massive sp def boost. Being able to take roughly a third the damage you previously did from Thunderbolts is pretty huge on something that effectively auto-wins at +2. Being weak to Mach Punch is lame, but don't megavolve if your opponent has a Breloom I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)