Pokémon Alakazam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alakazam #65

Type: Psychic
Abilities: Synchronize / Inner Focus / Magic Guard / Trace (Mega Evo)

Base Stats:
(Alakazam - Mega Alakazam)

HP - 55 - 55
Atk - 50 - 50
Def - 45 - 65
SpA - 135 - 175
SpD - 95 - 95
Speed - 120 - 150

Notable Moves: (New moves are italicized)

Psyshock
Psychic
Signal Beam (Not available yet)
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Substitute
Calm Mind
Encore
Thunder Wave
Recover
Energy Ball
Dazzling Gleam

General Analysis of Pokemon

Although Alakazam had a rough start at the beginning of Generation V, Alakazam ended this generation as a solid top tier OU Pokemon. Thanks to its ability Magic Guard, which protected it from any sort of residual damage including entry hazards, Alakazam was well known in OU for being one of the greatest revenge killers in the tier because it was able to use the item, Focus Sash, to its maximum potential. Not only that, but it was also a mighty fine user of Life Orb, as Magic Guard kept it completely safe from the added recoil side effect, allowing it to function as a powerful attacker. On top of its ability, it also possessed an incredible movepool, blazing 120 Speed, and very nice 135 base Special Attack. It's safe to say that Alakazam was easily one of the best OU Pokemon last generation.

Now, in Generation VI, Alakazam is seems almost unchanged, except for one major thing; Mega Evolution. That's right, GameFreak decided to give an already fantastic Pokemon a buff, and boy is it a good one. Although Alakazam still retains mediocre bulk, it now posses a jaw dropping 175 base Special Attack, and an equally as incredible 150 base Speed. Although it exchanges its cherished Magic Guard ability for Trace and the ability to carry a Focus Sash, it now turns into an absolute freak of nature that can easily tear apart anything that stands in its way. Being outsped only by Deoxys-S while tying with Ninjask, Deoxys-N, Deoxys-A, and the confirmed Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Alakazam just might be one of the hardest Pokemon to properly handle in OU. Although it struggles against a few newcomers such as Aegislash, Mega Lucario (Bullet Punch), or anything with Sucker Punch, there's little to nothing that stands in Mega Alakazam's way, and only users of Choice Scarf threaten to outspeed it, which is quite a feat indeed. With a Mega Evolution under its belt AND still having the ability to function as a Focus Sash revenge killer on teams that are already using up their Mega slot, Alakazam looks like it will retain its status in OU as one of the most dangerous Pokemon in the tier.

Potential Sets

Name: Revenge Killer

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball
This was Alakazam's bread and butter set last generation, and it could potentially be just as effective this generation. With the metagame becoming even more fast paced than the last, Alakazam's job as a revenge killer is even more of an asset. Thanks to its Focus Sash, Alakazam has the ability to check a wide variety of the common Choice Scarfed Pokemon in the tier, as well as a few of the Mega evolutions that will most likely see some usage. Mega Lucario can only break its Sash with Bullet Punch, and it is decimated by Focus Blast the following term. The same case goes for Mega Absol. Even the almighty Mega Gengar is easily KOed by Psyshock the following turn. With that said, Alakazam's Focus Sash is very important to save in case of these scenarios, or else it can no longer revenge kill these faster threats. Psyshock is obligatory STAB that hits anything with higher Special Defense MUCH harder than Psychic. Focus Blast provides it with much needed coverage against Steel-types like Ferrothorn while also KOing Tyranitar. Although Hidden Power received a 10 BP drop in power, it's still a very viable move to use on Alakazam to give it as much coverage as possible against Dragon-types and Gliscor, or Ferrothorn and Skarmory depending on which one you choose to use. Shadow Ball is nice for Aegislash I guess, but it will most likely always run Shadow Sneak to pick it off beforehand. It's mostly just to hit opposing Psychic-types.

Name: Mega Attacker

Alakazam @ Alakazamlite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Fire] / Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
This set defines power and Speed. While the standard Alakazam is all about revenge killing, this set focuses more on wall breaking and late-game sweeping. Although Alakazam no longer has immunity to the entry hazards and residual damage, it now has the ability to outspeed every Pokemon in OU and still have amazing power to help it muscle through even the sturdiest walls of OU. Still, other than the immunity to entry hazards and residual damage, Mega Alakazam can't really take advantage of the ability like standard Alakazam can because it can't hold an item, so Trace is actually an all around better option for what Mega Alakazam is designed for; sweeping and breaking through walls. Because its meant for wall breaking, a Modest nature is recommended in order for this thing to compete with its former Life Orb self, while still retaining an incredible 399 Speed stat, enough to outspeed base 130+. If you really want Mega Alakazam to speed tie with itself and outspeed +1 Dragonite, then go for Timid, but you lose out on quite a few KOs, such as on Ferrothorn and Tyranitar with Focus Blast. The two Hidden Powers are once again highly recommended on a Pokemon that can KO most of the metagame. Hidden Power Ice is more useful here because it can destroy Dragon-types and Gliscor, but Hidden Power Fire is more useful if you're running a Timid nature in order to always obtain the OHKO on Ferrothorn. The last moveslot is even more interchangeable than its standard counterpart, as its job on teams focus less on revenge killing and more on firepower. Calm Mind and Substitute are riskier options that have a huge payoff if you manage to predict right. A +1 Mega Alakazam is incredibly scary, to a point where only Choice Scarfed Pokemon can super-effective priority can save you from being swept. Alakazam's ability actually gives it the ability to outspeed weather sweepers such as Venasaur, Kingdra, and Ludicolo. On the flip side, Substitute is a more conservative option to ease prediction and gives Mega Alakazam a free hit on anything, which can be very important against teams that pack priority or a Choice Scarfer.

Checks and Counters:

Alakazam is no longer as hard to check as it was during 5th Generation. Although its Speed still remains high, there are a few more users of priority that Alakazam has to watch out for. Aegislash is huge, as it decimates Alakazam with Shadow Sneak. Mega Absol and Mega Lucario all threaten to break its Sash with priority or KO it once its Sash is broken. Scizor can check Alakazam if it lacks Hidden Power Fire. Choice Scarf users with U-turn are a huge hassle to Alakazam, as they can break its Sash and switch out into something that can take it on. Weavile can still Pursuit trap non Alakazam as well. Jolteon can outspeed it and threaten to KO with Shadow Ball.

Mega Alakazam is a bit different to check and counter.....a LOT different. Although it's MUCH more susceptible to priority from the likes of Scizor, Mega Absol, Aegislash, and Mega Lucario, Mega Alakazam is nearly void of any reliable switch-ins. Chansey can avoid the 2HKO with Psyshock and proceed to Softboiled up in its face or threaten to paralyze it, but it has to be invested fully in Defense, otherwise it is 2HKOed. Checking Mega Alakazam is much the same as its former self, as the most effective way of checking it is with Choice Scarfers or priority. However, Jolteon and Weavile can no longer check Alakazam once its Mega evolved, so keep that in mind.

Final Thoughts:
All in all, I think Alakazam at least has a bright future in OU this generation. Alakazam got a huge buff with its Mega that lets it function as either a revenge killer or a wall breaking late game sweeper. This makes Alakazam even the more dangerous, and can screw with other player's minds. The biggest problem with Mega Alakazam is that it takes up the valuable Mega slot that could be used for Lucario or Gengar. I don't see Mega Alakazam being the greatest Mega in OU, but it has potential.

Last edited:

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
The big thing about Mega Alakazam is that it's actually weaker than Life Orb sets, so I'm really wondering if that Mega Evolution is worth it. Ultimately I think it'll have to come down to the extra Speed and Trace - I think the mega Evolution is something we're going to have to wait and see how the metagame ends up.
Jirachi was once a previously good switch-in, but now that it's weak to Shadow Ball
This isn't something you should assume. It's very possible Jirachi will have a type change.

Mega Alakazam technically has partial Magic Guard because it enters the field as non mega it will ignore entry hazards.

Gary

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The big thing about Mega Alakazam is that it's actually weaker than Life Orb sets, so I'm really wondering if that Mega Evolution is worth it. Ultimately I think it'll have to come down to the extra Speed and Trace - I think the mega Evolution is something we're going to have to wait and see how the metagame ends up.
Actually, if you're running Modest, which is what most people will most likely be running because of the already huge ass Speed, it still out damages standard Life Orb Alakazam.

252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 347-409 (53.22 - 62.73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 357-420 (54.75 - 64.41%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So with Mega Alakazam you're getting the same damage as Timid Life Orb while also having blazing Speed and Trace, which is a neat ability that will have a lot of cool uses.

This isn't something you should assume. It's very possible Jirachi will have a type change.
I'd also rather assume Jirachi is not getting a type change then assume it is, so I'm just going to leave it how it is.

Very mixed feelings on MegaAlakazam ...
On one spoon, 175 SAtk and 150 Spe is nothing to be trifled with. Possessing Trace is a deadly tool as Alakazam can find great switch-in opportunities such as Flash Fire Heatran, Water Absorb Jellicent and Volt Absorb Thundurus-T. Trace becomes especially deadly when Alakazam begins to trace things like Regenerater and Shadow Tag.
However on the other spoon, losing the whole Magic Guard + Focus Sash business is seriously going to be a loss for MegaAlakazam.
With the viability of Bullet Punch Lucario, ExtremeSpeed Dragonite, Bullet Punch Scizor, Aqua Jet Azumarill and [Flying STAB] Talonflame , Alakazam might find it a bit rough in OU at certain times.
However this is Alakazam we're talking about. Just like Gengar, Alakazam has always managed to stay OU despite the metagame so I have faith for the Stached Psychic Fox~

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
There's still a big question if this thing is worth it, particularly for Mega Evolving. Assuming you're running Modest you get a 2% power increase and about 17 more Speed and Trace, and tbh I'm just not sure that is worth the lack of Magi Guard and another possible Mega Evo. It's similar to Mega Mewtwo Y in that regard, you should run it if you have no other Mega Evo anyway.

Gary

Doesn't it stay evolved afterwards? That would mean it would only be immune on the first switch.
Yes, it will only be immune to it on the first switch because they stay Mega Evolved throughout the rest of the match.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Also if you switch in on Toxic Spikes and get Poisoned while you have Magic Guard, you start taking Poison damage once you lose it. Alakazam was already good in OU without a mega evo, so I'm not sure why you'd use your one Mega Evolution per battle on it (especially since there are like 3 Dark-type and 3 Bug-type mega evos, including Tyranitar and Scizor).

Gary

Yeah personally I think Mega Alakazam is very good, but the biggest problem with it is that it takes up the valuable Mega slot. Unless a lot of the Megas are banned to Ubers for some reason, Sash Alakazam will be superior in almost every instance.

I guess a solid niche for Mega Alakazam could just be a SubSweeper of some kind. Superior speed and immediate firepower might allow it to see some purpose over Magic Guard Alakazam

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Mega Alakazam seems decent. That overkill Speed stat can you let you get the jump on some of the ridiculously fast megas, and Trace is a nifty ability.

I doubt it will ever eclipse Magic Guard Alakazam though, Magic Guard + Focus Sash is way too good to pass up.

Megazam is a pokemon thatdepends muck on a metagame. He could easily counter-trap and revenge kill mega gengar, he could love something like parental bond, moxie, water and bolt absorb and so on. Sure, he loses as a revenge killer to standard sash alakazam, yet he could have a nice role as a sweeper, maybe a substitute sweeper. And if the fastest mons go to uber he could run a modest nature, outdamaging timid life orb alakazam, while grabbing an ability that helps him sweeping. Because beside of focus sash it's not like passive damage is a big deal for him: he dies to any decent attack even at full health.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't really see any use for Mega Alakazam in OU. It's power output is nothing special for a MEvo, and it still lacks switch-in opportunities. Its only real advantage over other MEvos, its Speed, doesn't matter so much in a metagame where Scizor, Aegislash, Azumarill, and Mega Lucario will be everywhere, and can OHKO it in a moment's notice (no Sash). Even its coverage moves got nerfed (Hidden Power Fire and Hidden Power Ice), so Mega Scizor becomes an even better switch-in.

And Sash + Magic Guard Alakazam has too good of a niche to not get a spot in OU, so it seems that Mega Alakazam will be obsolete.

Aldrein said:
He could easily counter-trap and revenge kill mega gengar
Mega Gengar is double immune to Shadow Tag. He is a Ghost-type, which means immune to trapping abilities, and he has Shadow Tag (Shadow Tag Pokemon are immune to Shadow Tag).

The Stat Bonuses seem to add up to +90 instead of the usual 100, is this correct? :o
Alakazam's original BST was changed, which we're thinking is a mistake. What we think happened is the programmer took the special defense stat of Mega Alakazam(95) and put it in the Sp.D stat of normal Alakazam accidentally, which is supposed to be 85.

So yes, the stat bonuses for 'Zam indeed add up to 90.

Gotta say, its very high risk/reward with the mega. It can't take a hit anymore, so anything with a scarf or one sucker punch and its all over.

I will personally experiment with it, but that power is very impressive

Don't forget that Mega Alakazam outspeeds almost every pokemon.
It can easily afford to run a modest nature and run down the entire metagame
Modest Mega alakazam will do more damage than timid life orb alakazam
Mega Alazakam could run a sub set with psychic/psyshock, shadow ball and either thunderbolt, flamethrower or ice beam
when it switches in on something it checks, it can put down a sub when it switches out, and take a prioity attack and KO the opponent

Don't forget that Mega Alakazam outspeeds almost every pokemon.
It can easily afford to run a modest nature and run down the entire metagame
Modest Mega alakazam will do more damage than timid life orb alakazam
Mega Alazakam could run a sub set with psychic/psyshock, shadow ball and either thunderbolt, flamethrower or ice beam
when it switches in on something it checks, it can put down a sub when it switches out, and take a prioity attack and KO the opponent
Just a side note, Zam doesnt learn Ice Beam or Flamethrower IIRC.

What about using reflect on a mega alakazam set? He can out speed all the base 130 infiltrators, even without max investment unless I made some sort of mistake, and at least in the case of crobat he can OHKO so he wouldn't really have to worry about them getting past it. Might help him survive priority hits.

I also was thinking about maybe using protect and disable but that wouldn't really help v priority and that's his biggest weakness. Also being left with only 2 moves makes coverage difficult.

I can see how he probably isn't the best mega really but I still feel like people are underestimating him a bit. If he can trace something good he could become really hard to deal with, or maybe I'm just overestimating because I love how he looks. Best mega design imo.

Holy shit, and I thought 160 Special Attack and 140 Speed was insane. It's safe to say that Mega Evolution has raised the bar very, very high. And that design... Telekinetic spoon juggling corona! Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)